Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you are right.

Don't get me wrong, I am not wishing for OBrien to fail. I was one of his supporters when he arrived here.
Still am......to a limited extent.

Time will tell, just a question of how much time. Any suggestions?

:coffee:

I've said for awhile now that making the playoffs earned him a one year stay of execution in my book. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as far as talent goes. We didn't have a QB that was worth mentioning and we did have some bad injuries on D last couple of seasons. Add to that and last draft they were handcuffed, we can argue about whom's fault that is later, without a first or second pick and the FA market was slim. I'm willing to buy all these excuses because they make logical sense to me.

After this season though the excuses stop. We have all our picks, and a few extra, and lots of cap space. Nuk is locked down, Watt is locked down and Watson is on a rookie contract. We have a few that we need to decide on that are going into FA but hey you can't have everything. Likewise we are hearing that for the first time BoB has real say in personal. Ok fair enough, then there should be no reason that this isn't a great offseason for us followed by a great year for us. Maybe not a Super Bowl but at least being a real threat and contender.

So to answer your question, I suggest one more year.

But you can't predict how they'll react when the lights come on
A
You cant tell perfectly, but I think a coach should have a better handle on how good the OL is after seeing it throughout training camp. If O'Brien can't tell, then that explains a lot about the last 5 years.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, he was never an OL coach. He relies on people he trusts. And the OL didn't look that terrible in pre-season until the Saint's game

A
You cant tell perfectly, but I think a coach should have a better handle on how good the OL is after seeing it throughout training camp. If O'Brien can't tell, then that explains a lot about the last 5 years.

To be fair, he was never an OL coach. He relies on people he trusts. And the OL didn't look that terrible in pre-season until the Saint's game[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure he completely delegates the OL coaching, but if he does, then he's bad at picking who to delegate to

I've said for awhile now that making the playoffs earned him a one year stay of execution in my book. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as far as talent goes. We didn't have a QB that was worth mentioning and we did have some bad injuries on D last couple of seasons. Add to that and last draft they were handcuffed, we can argue about whom's fault that is later, without a first or second pick and the FA market was slim. I'm willing to buy all these excuses because they make logical sense to me.

After this season though the excuses stop. We have all our picks, and a few extra, and lots of cap space. Nuk is locked down, Watt is locked down and Watson is on a rookie contract. We have a few that we need to decide on that are going into FA but hey you can't have everything. Likewise we are hearing that for the first time BoB has real say in personal. Ok fair enough, then there should be no reason that this isn't a great offseason for us followed by a great year for us. Maybe not a Super Bowl but at least being a real threat and contender.

So to answer your question, I suggest one more year.

Sounds good /fair to me.
Team needs to pass the fans eye test. We are not all experts on the X and O's of football but I believe we all know good vs bad play when we see it.

Like you I am expecting an exciting off season / draft. Fingers crossed.

I think, without any exceptions, that every fan on this site wants the Texans to succeed.

Just lots of differing opinions on what it will take. :)

:coffee:

Ok this is where I'm calling BS on this board. Everyone here was yelling to give Savage a chance and before that they were yelling that he yanks QBs to soon. Well he gave Savage a chance and didn't yank him after one bad game and now people are complaining about that. There really is no winning with some of you is there. Watson was a rookie QB that had never played an NFL game in his life, of course he was going to hold the clipboard his first season. So did Mahomes, so did Brady, so did Dak, so did Rogers, in fact most times when the current great QBs came in it was because the starter went down and the coach had no choice then got lucky that the rookie was better than they thought.

Again people get out of the football movie fantasy of the plucky, young QB leading the team to victory when no one believes in him. In the real world you don't throw your shiny, newly drafted QB out on the field day one unless you are choice less. Also don't forget they brought Savage back on the field as starter after Watson went down with an injury. What was BoB suppose to do wheel Watson out in a wheelchair and then push him around the field during the middle of the play.

Since when does people on this board yelling for something mean anything? This board doesn't know half the **** they think they do. Talk about BS. This board isn't at practices all summer coaching these guys up. Bill O'Brien is. He's the one who went with Savage and after TWO quarters of the 1st game we get an oops. And that's the 2nd time he's done that BTW.

Since when does people on this board yelling for something mean anything? This board doesn't know half the **** they think they do. Talk about BS. This board isn't at practices all summer coaching these guys up. Bill O'Brien is. He's the one who went with Savage and after TWO quarters of the 1st game we get an oops. And that's the 2nd time he's done that BTW.

Well we agree on one thing at least.

To be fair, he was never an OL coach. He relies on people he trusts. And the OL didn't look that terrible in pre-season until the Saint's game

I'm not sure he completely delegates the OL coaching, but if he does, then he's bad at picking who to delegate to[/QUOTE]

agreed, Ever since Ferentz turned him down, he hasn't known which way to go

I'm not sure he completely delegates the OL coaching, but if he does, then he's bad at picking who to delegate to

agreed, Ever since Ferentz turned him down, he hasn't known which way to go[/QUOTE]

would have been really nice if Ferentz or Munchak would have joined his staff like he initially wanted, but i suppose hanging on to choice #3 after 4 seasons of failure is just as good of an option........

agreed, Ever since Ferentz turned him down, he hasn't known which way to go

would have been really nice if Ferentz or Munchak would have joined his staff like he initially wanted, but i suppose hanging on to choice #3 after 4 seasons of failure is just as good of an option........[/QUOTE]

He let #3 go after just 1 season... we're on #4

He let #3 go after just 1 season... we're on #4

Oh yea I forgot about the guy they fired because he moved XSF around in TC so supposedly that "stunted" his development. Devlin did such a good job developing him over his remaining 3 years that he has retained his job lol

Reactions: JB
That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Belichick has had tons of quarterbacks in his stable and only one of them has ever been "coached up."

The dumbest thing you ever heard. Bwhahaha some of you clowns be on some real bullshit. If you don't understand the transformation . Then you're the dumb one.

Oh yea I forgot about the guy they fired because he moved XSF around in TC so supposedly that "stunted" his development. Devlin did such a good job developing him over his remaining 3 years that he has retained his job lol

Who else has developed XSF since he left Kirby?

XSF failed because he was a lazy fat ass, make no mistake about it. He was stealing $$$$ for years.

Now if you want to blame Devlin for working out Davenport and him thinking Davenport could be coached up to play LT in the NFL with those feet and think Devlin should be fired for that snafu then count me as onboard that train.

But you can't predict how they'll react when the lights come on

You cant tell perfectly, but I think a coach should have a better handle on how good the OL is after seeing it throughout training camp. If O'Brien can't tell, then that explains a lot about the last 5 years.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know BOB was the OL coach.

You have to work with the talent on hand. It's not like after TC he could go out and get 5 new OL because the ones he had sucked.

Let the new GM get the talent in place this offseason and lets see where they are. Next yr is yr 2 of the 3 yrs that it's going to take to clean up the mess that was left behind.
OB inherited a very unlucky 2-14 team (and an 11-5 2011 team and 12-4 2012 team) that was a franchise QB short of being a perennial contender. OB took what talent he didn't run off (speaking of OL) and promptly proved himself to be an 8-8 coach. HIS hand-picked QBs all failed. Watson has mostly thrived due to his God-given talent.

You cant tell perfectly, but I think a coach should have a better handle on how good the OL is after seeing it throughout training camp. If O'Brien can't tell, then that explains a lot about the last 5 years.

You have to work with the talent on hand. It's not like after TC he could go out and get 5 new OL because the ones he had sucked.[/QUOTE]
Every single talent that OB has worked with has regressed to some degree, even Watson.

You have to work with the talent on hand. It's not like after TC he could go out and get 5 new OL because the ones he had sucked.[/QUOTE]

He picks the ol coach.

He had Gaine this off-season to go out and get new OL.

You have to work with the talent on hand. It's not like after TC he could go out and get 5 new OL because the ones he had sucked.

He picks the ol coach.

He had Gaine this off-season to go out and get new OL.[/QUOTE]

A new OL of backups that predictably turned out to be a disaster. Luckily Watson isn't facing surgery this offseason.

Every single talent that OB has worked with has regressed to some degree, even Watson.[/QUOTE]

Not true, Hopkins/WFV/Miller/Mancz have all improved under BOB.

I would say the draft choices improved, particularly Reid/Coutee even though he was hurt most of the yr, 11 catches in a playoff games by a rookie isn't anything to sneeze at.

OB inherited a very unlucky 2-14 team (and an 11-5 2011 team and 12-4 2012 team) that was a franchise QB short of being a perennial contender. OB took what talent he didn't run off (speaking of OL) and promptly proved himself to be an 8-8 coach. HIS hand-picked QBs all failed. Watson has mostly thrived due to his God-given talent.

I dont remember Jimmy G being on the Texans.

Did BOB run off the talent or was not paying the talent on hand the reason they left.

When BOB joined on the OL was aging, as was AJ and Foster was getting hurt every yr.

Was 2-14 bad luck or bad planning?

Did BOB run off the talent or was not paying the talent on hand the reason they left.

When BOB joined on the OL was aging, as was AJ and Foster was getting hurt every yr.

You're stupid. Please have an intelligent person read my post.

Brooks and Jones weren't old

Brooks, Jones, & Mancz... imagine if we didn't waste two 2nd round picks & half a dozen FAs on interior OL... we might have some decent young talented OTs ready to step up. But our coaches are so desperate for an OT they drafted a guy better suited to play Guard to develop.

I mean we're not going to see how good our coaches are if we continue to manage our talent like that & we're not going to see how good our talent can be with coaching like that.

It's a catch 22.

That's uncalled for.

Relax.

It's gonna be a long offseason...

We're stuck with the coach we have and we cant help that. We had no QB for years and now we do. Rick Smith was part of the suck for years and now he's gone.

Fix the ol or OB is out next year.

Ob should now have his best chance to succeed (with the addition of ol talent) or be gone. Win / win for all. Next year will sculpt our franchise destiny for the next decade.

Other coaches have turned teams around in one season. Our lack of depth can be viewed two ways. Either tha talent Acquired wasn’t good or the talent wasn’t sufficiently developed. Since the HC OB has say in Acquisitions I don’t see how he gets a pass. I get it you hated RS with an unbridled passion. IYO It had to be all on him. That’s fine but tell me why the coaches get a pass on failing to develop Suafilo, or any other OL for that for that matter in the last five years. Hell even Martin at C hasn’t developed like he was graded out to be. The three FA OL brought in by Gaine have all regressed. Rankin looked horrible when he got playing time. The only OL in the last 5 years to become a solid starter was Mantz when Martin went down. Yet these geniuses still started Martin over him because of his draft slot. That covers OL.

Secondary, Johnson who was a high draft pick flat out went backwards after his rookie year. Gaines brought in Colvin who was considered one of the better slot CBs in the league and all he’s done is regress. There has been no one developed in our secondary by these coaches. I mean has there been no talent added there at all? Hal is the closest thing to a success story in our entire secondary as a developmental player. I’m sorry but this does not all fall on Rick Smith. OB is not a good HC. He is not a good OC. He and most of his staff are not good at devytalent.

Let me ask you something, what kind of an OL and Secondary players do the Texans look for? What particular skill set attracts them to players at these positions? It’s been five years and NO ONE knows what the hell they are even looking for. In watching football for over 45 years I’ve never seen a good HC that didn’t have specific traits he looked for when acquiring talent. Hell NO ONE even knows what exactly the offenses personality is supposed to be. Are we a ground it out team? A ball control team? What are we? It’s like OB can’t make up his mind. He want to be everything all at once. Horrible!!!!

Smith

XSF Sucked because he was fat and lazy, what OL coach developed XSF after he left?

Myers/Wade Smith were.

Last edited:
Brooks, Jones, & Mancz... imagine if we didn't waste two 2nd round picks & half a dozen FAs on interior OL... we might have some decent young talented OTs ready to step up. But our coaches are so desperate for an OT they drafted a guy better suited to play Guard to develop.

I mean we're not going to see how good our coaches are if we continue to manage our talent like that & we're not going to see how good our talent can be with coaching like that.

It's a catch 22.

Or they drafted the best ol they had on their board.

Other coaches have turned teams around in one season. Our lack of depth can be viewed two ways. Either tha talent Acquired wasn’t good or the talent wasn’t sufficiently developed. Since the HC OB has say in Acquisitions I don’t see how he gets a pass. I get it you hated RS with an unbridled passion. IYO It had to be all on him. That’s fine but tell me why the coaches get a pass on failing to develop Suafilo, or any other OL for that for that matter in the last five years. Hell even Martin at C hasn’t developed like he was graded out to be. The three FA OL brought in by Gaine have all regressed. Rankin looked horrible when he got playing time. The only OL in the last 5 years to become a solid starter was Mantz when Martin went down. Yet these geniuses still started Martin over him because of his draft slot. That covers OL.

Secondary, Johnson who was a high draft pick flat out went backwards after his rookie year. Gaines brought in Colvin who was considered one of the better slot CBs in the league and all he’s done is regress. There has been no one developed in our secondary by these coaches. I mean has there been no talent added there at all? Hal is the closest thing to a success story in our entire secondary as a developmental player. I’m sorry but this does not all fall on Rick Smith. OB is not a good HC. He is not a good OC. He and most of his staff are not good at devytalent.

Let me ask you something, what kind of an OL and Secondary players do the Texans look for? What particular skill set attracts them to players at these positions? It’s been five years and NO ONE knows what the hell they are even looking for. In watching football for over 45 years I’ve never seen a good HC that didn’t have specific traits he looked for when acquiring talent. Hell NO ONE even knows what exactly the offenses personality is supposed to be. Are we a ground it out team? A ball control team? What are we? It’s like OB can’t make up his mind. He want to be everything all at once. Horrible!!!!

Smith

XSF Sucked because he was fat and lazy, what OL coach developed XSF after he left? I have hope for Rankin at LG. They started Martin over Mantz because they didn't think Mancz shoulder would hold up to a 16 game season. Doc could speak about this better than I ever could.

Johnson didn't look good before injury and now his career is most likely over. Colvin got hurt so I think you may be prejudging him. Bouye developed into one of the best CB's in the league. I would say they've developed Reid pretty well in addition to Hal. The Mathieu signing was a great FA signing etc....

I didn't know BOB was in charge of personnel in addition to HC. They are the type of team right now that tries to milk the clock and play defense to win games. Hopefully this changes as the OL talent improves, although I dont have much faith in Devlin.

Smith

XSF Sucked because he was fat and lazy, what OL coach developed XSF after he left? I have hope for Rankin at LG. They started Martin over Mantz because they didn't think Mancz shoulder would hold up to a 16 game season. Doc could speak about this better than I ever could.

Johnson didn't look good before injury and now his career is most likely over. Colvin got hurt so I think you may be prejudging him. Bouye developed into one of the best CB's in the league. I would say they've developed Reid pretty well in addition to Hal. The Mathieu signing was a great FA signing etc....

I didn't know BOB was in charge of personnel in addition to HC. They are the type of team right now that tries to milk the clock and play defense to win games. Hopefully this changes as the OL talent improves, although I dont have much faith in Devlin.

Last I saw him he looked like a lean fighting machine. Not like he looked her, pillsbury dough boy.

I'm waiting to see if he earns a spot on Dallas' OL next season. He was well regarded by many when he was drafted.

WTF were you watching?

Who else has developed XSF since he left Kirby?

XSF failed because he was a lazy fat ass, make no mistake about it. He was stealing $$$$ for years.

Now if you want to blame Devlin for working out Davenport and him thinking Davenport could be coached up to play LT in the NFL with those feet and think Devlin should be fired for that snafu then count me as onboard that train.

XSF went to Dallas and has played much better. He started numerous games this year and my friend who is an absolute die hard Cowboys fan (and a very knowledgeable one) says he's been better at guard than the rookie they drafted. Great? No. But much improved from his time here. Could partly be explained by "wake-up call" but it's hard to deny that this team has lost multiple lineman that have played better elsewhere. Look at Brooks as another example.

And in reverse, we've signed some seemingly decent lineman that seem to regress during their time here. I have absolutely no confidence that even if they draft the next generation of the 1987 Oilers line in whole, that it will make a hill of beans of difference. Whether it's overall scheme, specific play-calling, or the o-line coach not coaching them up to their potential - or a combo of all 3 is open for debate.

What's not debatable is that their is a major problem on Kirby with the O-line during the OB tenure and that the line has steadily regressed - and doing absolutely nothing about it year after year is the definition of insanity.

Do you seriously think the line will be significantly improved next year? If you do, I've got a bridge in the Sahara for sale if you're interested.

WTF were you watching?

Are you saying he didn't look like the Pilsbury Dough Boy when he as here?

200px-Xavier_Su%27a-Filo.JPG

Filo3.jpg

XSF went to Dallas and has played much better. He started numerous games this year and my friend who is an absolute die hard Cowboys fan (and a very knowledgeable one) says he's been better at guard than the rookie they drafted. Great? No. But much improved from his time here. Could partly be explained by "wake-up call" but it's hard to deny that this team has lost multiple lineman that have played better elsewhere. Look at Brooks as another example.

And in reverse, we've signed some seemingly decent lineman that seem to regress during their time here. I have absolutely no confidence that even if they draft the next generation of the 1987 Oilers line in whole, that it will make a hill of beans of difference. Whether it's overall scheme, specific play-calling, or the o-line coach not coaching them up to their potential - or a combo of all 3 is open for debate.

What's not debatable is that their is a major problem on Kirby with the O-line during the OB tenure and that the line has steadily regressed - and doing absolutely nothing about it year after year is the definition of insanity.

Do you seriously think the line will be significantly improved next year? If you do, I've got a bridge in the Sahara for sale if you're interested.

Porky the only way he would say they will be improved, that's if they acquire who he wants them to. If they do not go after the guys he wants. Whether through the draft or FA. He will say exactly what he says every year.

Example: when Solder was on the market.

I read your post and I disagree with your point of view Dennis. That is all
That came across way harsher than I meant it to. We've gotten into a bad habit of saying "you're stupid" at work I sometimes forget that it doesn't always translate well when you don't use the proper emojis like :kitten:

If you watched any Cowboys games you would've seen that XSF still sucked. He was better than Connor Williams but that's not saying much. Go check out his PFF grade.

I said from the beginning that the backup OL in FA wasn't going to be good, hopefully Rankin/Fulton can improve at OG Rankin because he's young and learning. He's got the strength to be the LG of the future. Fulton hopefully will be healthier and play like he has in the past.

The OL has sucked for the last 2 yrs due to Ricky not investing in it in FA/Draft and last yr being not a good OL yr in FA/Draft since they didn't have the picks to improve the OL.

I do think the OL will be better, probably not right away like the Colts OL it will take 5 to 6 games for the OL to jell. Feel free to disagree but we're going to find out. I just hope Devlin doesn't have Gaine's ear. (Davenport, thanks Devlin.)

I think you need to go back and watch some of last yrs games instead of putting those XSF Glamour shots out there for all to see.

The post you replied to was speaking of the change in XSF's physical make up. Those glamour shots are in support of the physical change I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back