Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a big difference between using a 6th OL as your base offense & never using a 6th Offensive lineman.

I assumed you knew this.

SMH

Lets see what you want

1. Quick passes
2. Watson to roll out taking away 1/2 the field
3. Passes to the TE, so the OT's will be left on an island
4. Using 6 OL, which directly opposes the above.
5. Watson running the ball more
6. Running the ball outside more, despite the OT's being lousy and the young TE's still learning to block.
7. More screens, even though they rarely work

If I missed something get back to me.

Yet they still managed to win 11 games and score a bunch of pts.

Yet they still managed to win 11 games and score a bunch of pts.

So do you think they're going to win Saturday? How about next week against the Patriots.

Keep in mind you're telling me we won 11 games & scored a bunch of points. Despite the lack of talent on the OL.

Now, I never said I want Watson to run the ball more. I do like that he's keeping it more often on the zone read, but that's because BO'b decided we will run the ZR, & if he never keeps it, like at the beginning of the season, it doesn't help the run game.

I would like to move the pocket. Get Watson away from at least one edge rusher. Cut off half the field, yes. But should give you more time to make good decisions. Watch how many times KC does it, or the Rams, or Wentz with the Eagles. Don't do it every snap. You have to pick your spots. Mix it in with play fakes & bootlegs.

& if you have two TEs & keep them in to block... sit one of them & put a 6th OL I his place, especially if the TEs can't block. Or, if you lost two WRs to injury & the guys you brought in to replace them happen to get injured as well, put the 6th OL on the line & split the converted WR out.

I'll have to take your word that BO'b can't coach the 22 players he selected for this offense to run a RB screen as I've only seen them try once. But judging by the other things our offense lacks I have to agree with you. Coaching sucks.

Thank God Watson & Hopkins are some lemonade making SOBs. Can't wait till Gaine has a full offseason & complement of draft picks to find more guys who can make sht happen Despite poor coaching.

& probably won't change your mind, but just about all the stuff you've been saying we can't do because of the lack of talent on the OL, we did at the end of the Jags game, or some other game this season.

The phins game. First game I gave BO'b credit for creatively getting the RBs the ball in the run game. Pitches, tosses, stretches, as opposed to straight dives.

He's done a good job at times, moments, utilizing the talent on this team that would make this offense on par with the best in the league if only he'd let them.

Hopefully he's doing just enough, but with so many one score games... he's either got balls of steel or he's actually the smartest gut in the room.

If he comes out Saturday with a "game plan" offense that has the Colts on their heels all game, I'll concede to both.

So do you think they're going to win Saturday? How about next week against the Patriots.

Keep in mind you're telling me we won 11 games & scored a bunch of points. Despite the lack of talent on the OL.

Now, I never said I want Watson to run the ball more. I do like that he's keeping it more often on the zone read, but that's because BO'b decided we will run the ZR, & if he never keeps it, like at the beginning of the season, it doesn't help the run game.

I would like to move the pocket. Get Watson away from at least one edge rusher. Cut off half the field, yes. But should give you more time to make good decisions. Watch how many times KC does it, or the Rams, or Wentz with the Eagles. Don't do it every snap. You have to pick your spots. Mix it in with play fakes & bootlegs.

& if you have two TEs & keep them in to block... sit one of them & put a 6th OL I his place, especially if the TEs can't block. Or, if you lost two WRs to injury & the guys you brought in to replace them happen to get injured as well, put the 6th OL on the line & split the converted WR out.

I'll have to take your word that BO'b can't coach the 22 players he selected for this offense to run a RB screen as I've only seen them try once. But judging by the other things our offense lacks I have to agree with you. Coaching sucks.

Thank God Watson & Hopkins are some lemonade making SOBs. Can't wait till Gaine has a full offseason & complement of draft picks to find more guys who can make sht happen Despite poor coaching.

& probably won't change your mind, but just about all the stuff you've been saying we can't do because of the lack of talent on the OL, we did at the end of the Jags game, or some other game this season.

The phins game. First game I gave BO'b credit for creatively getting the RBs the ball in the run game. Pitches, tosses, stretches, as opposed to straight dives.

He's done a good job at times, moments, utilizing the talent on this team that would make this offense on par with the best in the league if only he'd let them.

Hopefully he's doing just enough, but with so many one score games... he's either got balls of steel or he's actually the smartest gut in the room.

If he comes out Saturday with a "game plan" offense that has the Colts on their heels all game, I'll concede to both.

Well, I'm just glad you aren't running the team, because I have doubts if they would be the best offense in the league if you just let them.

Did the Denver Broncos get thru the season thru the season with a bad offensive line and a young QB O (name redacted) and a good defense after the old QB came back and win the Superb owl?

Why did he show these runs today against Jax till the last quarter. Should have used it in the playoffs.

Maybe he thought playing a home playoff game is better than one and done
Maybe he ran those plays so the opposition would have to take the possibility of Watson running seriously when we get in the playoffs. If they are worried about the QB keeper, that will setup the option.

Maybe he ran those plays so the opposition would have to take the possibility of Watson running seriously when we get in the playoffs. If they are worried about the QB keeper, that will setup the option.

And maybe they could tell also.

Did the Denver Broncos get thru the season thru the season with a bad offensive line and a young QB O (name redacted) and a good defense after the old QB came back and win the Superb owl?

The Broncos had an all time great defense.

The Texans defense?

The twilight zone of Bill Obrien Supporters: "Keep Watson out of harms way, or he will take on LBs?" LMAO .. what kind of sense does that make? Yeah lets just take this designed QB run on the goal line that this imbecile just called and tell the QB 'dont run at the LB okay run at the smaller defenders who wont hurt you as bad' ridiculous.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/201...son-figuring-relationship-texans-bill-obrien/

Even though quarterback Deshaun Watson is playing “complementary football,” and the Houston Texans are 11-5 and AFC South champions for the third time in five years, the second-year signal caller admits he has to keep working on his relationship with coach Bill O’Brien.

“I’m still young, we’re still figuring out the relationship, getting on the same page and that takes time,” Watson said Sunday after the Texans beat the Jacksonville Jaguars 20-3 at NRG Stadium. “But, the great things and success we’ve been doing is going to continue to grow. Once we get on that same page, and we really, really understand each other, the sky’s the limit.”

Since O’Brien named Watson his starting quarterback in Week 2 of 2017, the Texans have gone 14-8 and the average margin of defeat has been 4.25 points, meaning Houston has never been out of it with the former Clemson Tiger as the starting quarterback.

Watson recognizes that O’Brien’s positive approach and resilient attitude during the team’s 0-3 start was one of the reasons Houston was able to turn the bleak beginning into a nine-game winning streak that was rudimentary to their AFC South title.

Said Watson: “That’s just Coach O’Brien’s mentality. He’s never discouraged or talking bad or negative. He always try to find ways to be successful, regardless if adversity hits, he’s always being positive, making sure we’re staying on the same page, not breaking apart each other. He did a good job of making sure we do that.”

Now, O’Brien and Watson have been on enough of the page together as they host the Indianapolis Colts Jan. 5 at NRG Stadium for an AFC South rubber match. The Colts ended the Texans’ nine-game winning streak, and Indianapolis would love nothing more than to end their division rival’s season as they build upon their own four-game winning streak.

Bless your heart Deshaun the extent that you will go to cover for your coach. If you guys cant get on the same page then ButtCrack McQuack can hit the road!! Its a no brainer who you keep in a battle of wills in a 'cant see eye to eye' scenario. Bill already ran off the GM and many coaches so his excuses are running out faster then his brigade can create them! Stay Tuned! (ive given up on being civil and objective when it comes to OBrien - doesnt work when the narrative being driven is that OBRIEN is the catalyst for this season - NOPE, CANT DO IT -- now Im smashing his ass with everything I have UNTIL he proves he's worth a damn (still remains to be seen).

Insert Bill OBrien Excuse #1,00,234.004 here __________.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/01/bill-obrien-message-fans-not-confident-texans/

Here's what OBrien thinks about the fans and why you should love him:

“Look, we were 0-3,” O’Brien said. “Like I’ve always said, I’ve always said how much I love the Houston fans. All I can tell you is we’ve gone 11-2 over the last 13 weeks. This team is one of the few teams to come back from 0-3 and to qualify for the playoffs and win the division.”

"We have a tough football team,” said O’Brien. “We have a lot of guys that care about each other and play hard. We’re not looking for train riders, we’re looking for the loyal fans that have been with us the whole time. We’ll be ready to go on Saturday.

LMAO yeah Billy you've really given this franchise and the fans a ton of reasons why there should be unconditional support because of ALLLL the games this team comes out flat and uninspired, yes BiLLy the fans are the problem here. Educate yourself on Houston football heartbreak and history and then wonder why this fanbase is as jilted as it is. Idiot.

#INDESHAUNITRUST

Where is RAC getting a pass? This is not an either or. Both O & D could have done better, should have done better.

Narratives, anectdotes, 'cool stories bro', you know that whole 'Krooked Kubiak, Fake News (stats), and Witch Hunt (Poor Obrien) segment.

RAC has been drug through the mud plenty in this very thread, but its not convenient to point out anything OTHER THAN how good of a job OBRIEN is doing. Thats it, nobody else had any say in it, not the players, not the other coaches, not the scouts or the GM .. Everything we have is because of Bill OBrien. God have mercy on him if he finds a way to lose this game on Saturday, but still it will be because of all the other factors and not because of anything he did. (and we were all learning how to play so well with one another, actual, productive dialogue - down the crapper lol)

Lets put some stats and numbers in on the fun!! Yay!

obscure coaching metrics do exist! Here you go... safe to say that Bill OBrien owes EVERYTHING to Deshaun Watson. EVERYTHING!

According to the metrics offered on this site Mr Buttchin 'improved' from the 21st ranked Head Coach in 2017 to the 12th in 2018 .. woo hooooo!! Pop that champagne boys we have a mediocre coach!! Of course it was because his offense was so creative and he has a jedi mind trick that nobody knows about that will actually make the opposing head coach behave irregular and do things that ultimately cost them the game!! Who would have known? Bill OBrien is a Jedi Knight from Bleep Blorp!

https://www.headcoachranking.com/coach-detail/?coach_id=783&season=2018

and how he compares to his contemporaries:

https://www.headcoachranking.com/ne...n-clinches-no-1-spot-head-coach-ranking-2018/

Narratives, anectdotes, 'cool stories bro', you know that whole 'Krooked Kubiak, Fake News (stats), and Witch Hunt (Poor Obrien) segment.

RAC has been drug through the mud plenty in this very thread, but its not convenient to point out anything OTHER THAN how good of a job OBRIEN is doing. Thats it, nobody else had any say in it, not the players, not the other coaches, not the scouts or the GM .. Everything we have is because of Bill OBrien. God have mercy on him if he finds a way to lose this game on Saturday, but still it will be because of all the other factors and not because of anything he did. (and we were all learning how to play so well with one another, actual, productive dialogue - down the crapper lol)

Lol, you got the bolded right.

But its one thing to develop tunnel vision to the point you're being irrational (K-dog, Santo, Texansballer and a few others) It's another to offer balance thoughts. Most BoB "supporters" offer balance thoughts & You yourself have been fairly balanced..until recently.

It just comes down to this saying:

Success has many fathers but failure is an orphan..... & we know who the Texans fan base is making play the role of Oliver Twist when the team loses or doesn't win spectacularly.

Nothing new amongst fan bases really...The inverse of this is what you see in the NBA amongst the Lebron James Horde....He's the GOAT...... when great things are happening....but nothing is ever his fault when the team falls into disarray or they lose.

obscure coaching metrics do exist! Here you go... safe to say that Bill OBrien owes EVERYTHING to Deshaun Watson. EVERYTHING!

According to the metrics offered on this site Mr Buttchin 'improved' from the 21st ranked Head Coach in 2017 to the 12th in 2018 .. woo hooooo!! Pop that champagne boys we have a mediocre coach!! Of course it was because his offense was so creative and he has a jedi mind trick that nobody knows about that will actually make the opposing head coach behave irregular and do things that ultimately cost them the game!! Who would have known? Bill OBrien is a Jedi Knight from Bleep Blorp!

https://www.headcoachranking.com/ne...n-clinches-no-1-spot-head-coach-ranking-2018/

umm tell me how this is different from pretty much every HC in history not named Paul Brown? Subjective as hell. And i bet you won't go to the Ravens messageboard & post this..You'd get eaten alive lol.

Sorry guys, but OB can't beat his old boss in New England, so it really doesn't matter what they do this Saturday.

Yours truly,
Train Wreck Debby Downer Part Time Fan To The Stars

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/01/bill-obrien-message-fans-not-confident-texans/

Here's what OBrien thinks about the fans and why you should love him:

LMAO yeah Billy you've really given this franchise and the fans a ton of reasons why there should be unconditional support because of ALLLL the games this team comes out flat and uninspired, yes BiLLy the fans are the problem here. Educate yourself on Houston football heartbreak and history and then wonder why this fanbase is as jilted as it is. Idiot.

#INDESHAUNITRUST

Ok seriously man I am starting to worry about your health. Personally whenever I find myself getting this worked up over something I am suppose to be doing/watching for fun I step away from it.

Just ask yourself ultimately what will it really matter if the Texans win or lose? I mean when the Astros won it was cool to watch with the family, cool to see the parade and people at work were in a good mood that week. A week later it was back to the way it was before and mostly I just had a new hat. Sports are fun but unless you are on a team or have family on a team then that's all they are. They don't really, or shouldn't at least, affect your daily life.

Also you can't say how others are being irrational then go on a rant like that, kind of undercuts your whole arguement.

Lol, you got the bolded right.

But its one thing to develop tunnel vision to the point you're being irrational (K-dog, Santo, Texansballer and a few others) It's another to offer balance thoughts. Most BoB "supporters" offer balance thoughts & You yourself have been fairly balanced..until recently.

It just comes down to this saying:

Success has many fathers but failure is an orphan..... & we know who the Texans fan base is making play the role of Oliver Twist when the team loses or doesn't win spectacularly.

Nothing new amongst fan bases really...The inverse of this is what you see in the NBA amongst the Lebron James Horde....He's the GOAT...... when great things are happening....but nothing is ever his fault when the team falls into disarray or they lose.

A balanced thought. Bwhahaha too damn funny.
Ok if that truly helps you sleep at night.

The twilight zone of Bill Obrien Supporters: "Keep Watson out of harms way, or he will take on LBs?" LMAO .. what kind of sense does that make? Yeah lets just take this designed QB run on the goal line that this imbecile just called and tell the QB 'dont run at the LB okay run at the smaller defenders who wont hurt you as bad' ridiculous.

When Watson gets hurt I'm going to LOL my a$$ off at you in particular. Even though you will blame him getting hurt on anything but Watson. Fact is he took on Jaylen Smith earlier and suffered broken ribs. I would rather plays be called that limit those opportunities.

Just ask yourself ultimately what will it really matter if the Texans win or lose?

I used to get so worked up.

It wasn't the winning or losing that got to me though. It was that I couldn't get everyone to agree with me.

I mean, I agree BO'b had his work cut out for him. He's got serious issues on his OL. But just like we can see Davenport doesn't have elite feet... we can see issues with BO'bs offensive acumen.

Ok seriously man I am starting to worry about your health. Personally whenever I find myself getting this worked up over something I am suppose to be doing/watching for fun I step away from it.

Just ask yourself ultimately what will it really matter if the Texans win or lose? I mean when the Astros won it was cool to watch with the family, cool to see the parade and people at work were in a good mood that week. A week later it was back to the way it was before and mostly I just had a new hat. Sports are fun but unless you are on a team or have family on a team then that's all they are. They don't really, or shouldn't at least, affect your daily life.

Also you can't say how others are being irrational then go on a rant like that, kind of undercuts your whole arguement.

It matters because this is what we choose to invest our time in. If you're a Marvel fan and they put out a movie that sucks, you're pissed they wasted your time. Are you over it in a few hours or so? Yes. For after all it's just entertainment.

The world kept spinning when the Astros won the WS, but I'll never forget the time spent with friends and family going through that season and those playoffs. That was fun, a good use of my time for a change. The Rockets championships didn't change anything overall in life, but the time I chose to invest in it was so worth it.

It's about your time. Time is valuable. If that time isn't put to good use, then your pissed for a minute, but then you get on with life. If you're kicking dogs and beating women over a sporting event though, then you've got some bigger issues.

When Watson gets hurt I'm going to LOL my a$$ off at you in particular. Even though you will blame him getting hurt on anything but Watson. Fact is he took on Jaylen Smith earlier and suffered broken ribs. I would rather plays be called that limit those opportunities.
"Took on"? Running for the corner and getting outran for a spot isn't exactly Earl Campbell aiming for LB chests.

For the record -I agree that "designed QB runs" are the riskiest thing this team can do. Watson goes down and we're done.

"Took on"? Running for the corner and getting outran for a spot isn't exactly Earl Campbell aiming for LB chests.

For the record -I agree that "designed QB runs" are the riskiest thing this team can do. Watson goes down and we're done.

LOL ... reality here is like in the movie Inception .. it can be whatever they want it to be! Kind of like yesterday when someone suggested OBrien calling QB designed runs was a good idea, only that Watson should not aim for the LBs .. how does it go @Texansballer74 "bwahahaha" :troll: .. OBrien has even run the old college option on the goal line leaving Watson EXPOSED .. but its Deshauns fault, and HE needs to correct it, not the genius who's calling in the play - he's immune.

Watson is going to run, he's going to extend plays by scrambling .. thats ingrained in his DNA. He's shown a much more concerted effort to avoid big contact and slide appropriately. He was 'hurt' but never missed a game, that in itself speaks volumes too.

LOL ... reality here is like in the movie Inception .. it can be whatever they want it to be! Kind of like yesterday when someone suggested OBrien calling QB designed runs was a good idea, only that Watson should not aim for the LBs .. how does it go @Texansballer74 "bwahahaha" :troll: .. OBrien has even run the old college option on the goal line leaving Watson EXPOSED .. but its Deshauns fault, and HE needs to correct it, not the genius who's calling in the play - he's immune.

Watson is going to run, he's going to extend plays by scrambling .. thats ingrained in his DNA. He's shown a much more concerted effort to avoid big contact and slide appropriately. He was 'hurt' but never missed a game, that in itself speaks volumes too.

I guess your in the turn Watson loose crowd.

It's going to be lovely around here when he gets hurt. BOB is doing exactly what posters like you have been calling for all season. Yet when Watson gets hurt you will be the first calling for BOB's head.

Some people be tripping around here. Come on Bill Obrien eull run Watson . Watson will call his own number. That is apart of the game plan period.

What the fans want is irrelevant. Nobody and I mean nobody wants Watson or any other of our players to get hurt.

People been calling for O'brien's head around here. Bwhahaha where the heck have you been Steel?

I guess your in the turn Watson loose crowd.

It's going to be lovely around here when he gets hurt. BOB is doing exactly what posters like you have been calling for all season. Yet when Watson gets hurt you will be the first calling for BOB's head.

I’m not sure what the “turn Watson loose crowd” you’re referring to wants but for me it has nothing to do with having Watson run the ball into the teeth of the defense. I have no problem with Watson scrambling and taking off with the ball if nothing is open down field. In fact I would like to see some boot legs and designed rollouts and give Watson the green light to make things happen with safety in mind. You know, don’t take unnecessary hits.

For me it’s more about opening up the play book and allow him to go back to what he was so successful at early on. We can’t spend the first half trying to establish the run. This is the team that exposed our running game. Use the pass to open up the run. This is the playoffs! It’s now or never. The colts are going to stop our run game. We better have a plan for that or this season is over.

I’m not sure what the “turn Watson loose crowd” you’re referring to wants but for me it has nothing to do with having Watson run the ball into the teeth of the defense. I have no problem with Watson scrambling and taking off with the ball if nothing is open down field. In fact I would like to see some boot legs and designed rollouts and give Watson the green light to make things happen with safety in mind. You know, don’t take unnecessary hits.

For me it’s more about opening up the play book and allow him to go back to what he was so successful at early on. We can’t spend the first half trying to establish the run. This is the team that exposed our running game. Use the pass to open up the run. This is the playoffs! It’s now or never. The colts are going to stop our run game. We better have a plan for that or this season is over.

Agreed

So what do you call on 3rd/4th and short on Saturday?

A big part of BOB's playbook is going to be using Watson as a tailback. I hope he also throws a pass of of that play. You can also expect QB option plays. BOB is going for it. I hope he takes risks during the game on 4th downs as well.

You mean plays like those that used to buy club footed jakeleg Schaub three days to throw the ball ?

Agreed

So what do you call on 3rd/4th and short on Saturday?

A big part of BOB's playbook is going to be using Watson as a tailback. I hope he also throws a pass of of that play. You can also expect QB option plays. BOB is going for it. I hope he takes risks during the game on 4th downs as well.

When Watson takes off around an end, it seems like it would be the perfect time to toss to a trailing back. I recall seeing a back in position on a couple of plays but don't recall the pitch being made. Have they ever made an attempt to run a true Option Play?

When Watson takes off around an end, it seems like it would be the perfect time to toss to a trailing back. I recall seeing a back in position on a couple of plays but don't recall the pitch being made. Have they ever made an attempt to run a true Option Play?

Last yr they did.

Not that I can remember this yr. That's probably because Watson was playing with broken ribs/punctured lung.

Yup they do it in several ways, last game being the 'smarter' of the two with actual lead blocking and options to pitch. There was game early in the year (cant remember which one) where OBrien called the old college/high school option with the QB leading the back into an unblocked defender. Deshaun made the pitch to minimal gain, but I was astounded that OBrien would allow Watson to be hit unimpeded by the edge defender. Only time I can remember a professional team running that type of option until the RAvens started doing it a ton with Jackson, but Jackson is on another level of speed at the QB position. Deshaun is fast, but he aint Jackson fast thats for sure (4.3 at Louisville pro day).

Yup they do it in several ways, last game being the 'smarter' of the two with actual lead blocking and options to pitch. There was game early in the year (cant remember which one) where OBrien called the old college/high school option with the QB leading the back into an unblocked defender. Deshaun made the pitch to minimal gain, but I was astounded that OBrien would allow Watson to be hit unimpeded by the edge defender. Only time I can remember a professional team running that type of option until the RAvens started doing it a ton with Jackson, but Jackson is on another level of speed at the QB position. Deshaun is fast, but he aint Jackson fast thats for sure (4.3 at Louisville pro day).

He was just unleashing Watson which is what many on here wanted him to do and I'm LOL'ing my a** off.

There's no pleasing some around here.

Pitch forks are being sharpened this morning. Rope is being strung from the trees. The fires are stoked, ready for the poles and twine. The chickens have been plucked, the tar is in the pot getting warm.

It’s playoff time in Houston!
Let's get on with the tarring and feathering. OB is getting flat out schooled by a rookie head coach. Hopefully Cal is watching and understanding what he's seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back