Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
O’Brien is now 1-3 in the playoffs. He has lost two wild card games at home by a combined score of 51-7. His only win was against a team that was starting a backup QB, and the other loss was a beat down in NE.

Management has to decide if they think O’Brien is the one who can lead this team to greater things. If not, fire him now.

Granted, Watson did not play well today. However, they simply cannot waste his best years, like they’ve done with Watt and maybe Hopkins, and like the old regime did with Johnson.

So, this is pretty easy for me. One of major complaints of O’Brien is during his tenure his teams seem unprepared at the beginning of each season. The players fight and claw their way back and somehow make the playoffs. Then they don’t look like a team prepared for the heat of postseason pressure.

I actually had less of a problem with the initial gameplan today. In the second half, down by 21, there was zero urgency.

The lethargy is problematic. As a HC you need to bring the energy. I have no idea what practices looked like this week but it looked like they had been vacationing on the beach somewhere smoking weed with Thorn.

I said if we have another embarrassing home playoff loss I'd fire BO'b if I were Cal.

But, I'm going to be realistic about the situation. I honestly don't know how good the Colts are, or how bad we are.

If the Colts put 21 pts on the Chiefs in the first half, & hold them to 27 points total, BO'b did the best he could with what he had.

If the Colts don't score 21 against the Chiefs in the first half... if the Chiefs put up more than 27, BO'b is gone.

It’s irrelevant! Do you really think that Cal is going to pay his contract after just extending him? Not too mention BOB just hand picked his GM. Hopefully, (pray hard) he hires an OC!
Not to sound bad, but I am sure Bob had a life insurance policy and Cal could use some cash he has laying around, ONLY if he cares about bringing a Super Bowl to Houston.

The Texans could've kept that draft pick and ate the cap hit. I honestly think that was what got rid of Smith. I'm instantly ok with today.

10-4, IMO that whole situation and trade was RCM not wanting to pay for forcing that horrible deal for BO. Who signs a FA over a phone call??

I will never be ok with that trade.

Ever.
Understood. It's been stuck in my craw too, but if that was the straw that broke the camel's back, then ok. As long as the lesson is learned and not repeated. Today should've been an eye opener for Gaine. OB made such a mess of play calling that OC should be a priority. Offer Josh McDaniel 15 million a year to be OC.

OB is staying. He damn sure better find an OC. If he doesn't then he isn't taking accountability for his coaching job on offense.

https://deadspin.com/the-houston-texans-are-pure-frauds-no-matter-whos-play-1831520645

Two interminable streaks were on the line today in Houston: the Texans’ unbroken history of playoff humiliations, and Deshaun Watson not having lost a game by more than one score since high school. The fragrance of ass that exudes from the Texans and Bill O’Brien was more powerful by far, as the Colts won 21-7 in a game that felt over by halftime. Frank Reich’s squad will have go on the road again to play the top-seeded Chiefs in the divisional round, although traveling wasn’t remotely a problem in Houston.

Colts receiver T.Y. Hilton wore a clown mask to the stadium after Texans corner Johnathan Joseph called him, uh, a clown, which in turn came after Hilton said that the Texans’ stadium was a “second home.” Hilton was certainly right: coming into today, Hilton had 41 catches for 933 yards and seven touchdowns in just seven games at Houston. He came out hot with three catches for 63 yards on the Colts’ first drive, which, like most of the Colts’ early drives, ended in a touchdown. (Hilton only ended up with five receptions and 85 yards.)

The Texans’ pass defense was propped up by facing weak quarterbacks all year, and Luck and the Colts shredded it in the first half, racking up 20 first downs and three touchdowns. Only a batted ball and a smart penalty stopped it from being five touchdowns.

Indianapolis came back down to earth in the second half with only six first downs, and the Texans put one score on the board to avoid a shutout. But the touchdown drive took a painfully long six minutes, and the Texans couldn’t generate anything on subsequent drives other than Deshaun Watson’s scrambles. Watson himself deserves some blame here, too: down two scores on the Texans’ final drive, he badly missed on multiple throws. Bill O’Brien’s only playoff win* remains over a Connor Cook-led Raiders team, and the other two in franchise history are over the Bengals.

Everyone knows Bill has flaws. But, are there really any better coaches to hire or just more unproven assistants?

Bruce Arians.

Sounds like he’s coming here. He interviewed here today, has a working relationship with Jason Licht and has history with Jameis Winston.

My concern about him is his age and health issues. Other than that he’s probably just what the Bucs need, especially if he can bring in Todd Bowles and get Jameis going in the right direction.

Edit, the bastard has interviewed with the Bucs after saying it was CLE or bust. I guess the “risk it or no biscuit” still stands with BA

To be fair the Cleveland and maybe the Green Bay job were the only ones open when he made that comment. He couldn’t say that he would be interested in the Bucs job when it wasn’t open.

Sounds like he’s coming here. He interviewed here today, has a working relationship with Jason Licht and has history with Jameis Winston.

My concern about him is his age and health issues. Other than that he’s probably just what the Bucs need, especially if he can bring in Todd Bowles and get Jameis going in the right direction.

Heard today the Bucs had major issues in their locker room and organization in general. The exact word used was “dysfunctional”. Said the head coach was in over his head and weak—got run over by players, especially Desean Jackson who constantly (along with Mike Evans) called out Jamies Winston at practice.

Same person who told me this also was with the cardinals under Arians and said he’s going to make a lot of changes for the better. Stated someone who will bring order is exactly what the bucs needed.

Texans wise, I would be cautious of players coming out in the media and defending a coach when asked about it. They are almost always going to publicly show support even if the general tenor in the locker room is that the coach is lacking in major areas.

Everyone knows Bill has flaws. But, are there really any better coaches to hire or just more unproven assistants?
To answer your question with others

Would any of the other 11 playoff teams trade their coach for ours?
Which of the eight teams that fired a coach would consider BOB an upgrade?
Of the 12 teams remaining how many of those coaches are "same dog different fleas?"

(and I post from the idea of acceptance that BOB will be the coach for at least a couple of years longer)

There's pretty much 3 types of available HCs, unproven assistants, unproven in the NFL college coaches & HCs who may have done something but ultimately were fired. You want to dismiss one out of hand?
Coaching is so iffy no matter who is hired from where. Might as well try hiring an O.C.’ for now.

Heard today the Bucs had major issues in their locker room and organization in general. The exact word used was “dysfunctional”. Said the head coach was in over his head and weak—got run over by players, especially Desean Jackson who constantly (along with Mike Evans) called out Jamies Winston at practice.

That’s exactly what was going on. Then you have Brent Grimes coming out a few days ago on Miko’s podcast basically saying that he wasn’t being paid enough to be covering the number one receivers. 7 million isn’t enough to do what you’re being asked of by your coaches.

They need to get someone in that building that will kick some arse and send some of these chumps packing. Desean Jackson first, he’s a cancer and not worth the trouble for that one route he runs well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back