Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB isn't going anywhere. He has somehow managed to do magic at times with so little over his time here with the team. I am curious to see how the rest of the coaching staff is shuffled when the offseason rolls around (crossing fingers that this doesn't happen until February). We need an OC for sure so OB can focus on other coaching duties on gameday.

The 2 biggest offseason moves are cap independent. Get a better OL coach & get an outside OC. Maximize the players you have & the ones brought in.

IF OB chooses to hire an OC (he won't be forced to after this season) he will hire someone that shares his philosophy. If he chooses to name one, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the TE coach or the WR or DB coach, or even if it was Devlin. Might be a small chance of a new OL coach... dammit

OB isn't going anywhere. He has somehow managed to do magic at times with so little over his time here with the team. I am curious to see how the rest of the coaching staff is shuffled when the offseason rolls around (crossing fingers that this doesn't happen until February). We need an OC for sure so OB can focus on other coaching duties on gameday.

I wonder if RAC remains as DC in this shuffle. Already tried have him be asst. HC only, might be away to get some different looks on that side of the ball.

IF OB chooses to hire an OC (he won't be forced to after this season) he will hire someone that shares his philosophy. If he chooses to name one, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the TE coach or the WR or DB coach, or even if it was Devlin. Might be a small chance of a new OL coach... dammit

Kinda what these geniuses don't understand. Whomever is brought in isn't going to be running a different offense, & won't have a drastically different philosophy. An improvement in o-line play will make any teams' offense look good.

Some upcoming offensive names that would be interesting to interview. (Probably not going to happen)

Dan Campbell - Saints TE Coach. Works with Payton, and has a history with Bill Parcells.

Zac Taylor - Rams QB Coach. Works with McVay and called plays for Dolphins in 2015.

Jedd Fisch - Rams senior offensive assistant. Experience as OC.

Freddie Kitchens - if he gets let go by the Browns would be a hot name to bring in as OC. May be promoted to HC for Browns.

Dirk Koetter - was HC for Bucs. Has been OC. Potential HC candidate.

I don’t see Koetter getting another HC job anytime soon, however he will get an OC job. The Texans could do a lot worse. I liked Koetter here but he’s not HC material. He’s one of those Wade Phillips types, strong coordinator but subpar HC.

I don’t know much about him or the system he runs. Did OK with Maurice Jones Drew. Did OK with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones.

Seems to be a popular name out there.

I dont think it would hurt to kick the tires on Adam Gase as a OC, he could bring in some wrinkles and be a person Bob could count on to take up slack and ping pong ideas. Think he is more west coast based so they could maybe work more wrinkles

If RAC is done, would we look at Vance Joseph as DC. He did a good job as Defensive backs coach but seemed over his head as head coach

BOB has to feel secure in the building with younger guys who could take over, but would look at these gents

Final DVOA ratings:
Offense: 21st
Defense: 7th
Special Teams: 5th

21st is the same rank O'Brien's offense had with Fitzpatrick, and the highest he's ever achieved.

I dont think it would hurt to kick the tires on Adam Gase as a OC, he could bring in some wrinkles and be a person Bob could count on to take up slack and ping pong ideas. Think he is more west coast based so they could maybe work more wrinkles

If RAC is done, would we look at Vance Joseph as DC. He did a good job as Defensive backs coach but seemed over his head as head coach

BOB has to feel secure in the building with younger guys who could take over, but would look at these gents

No on Vance

I don’t know enough about Gase.

I don’t know much about him or the system he runs. Did OK with Maurice Jones Drew. Did OK with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones.

Seems to be a popular name out there.

He likes to run and open up the offense by throwing the ball down the field. The Bucs were awesome between the 20’s. They struggled in the red zone however. That could be more on Winston. Time will tell.

Btw, just saw a report that the Falcons are interested in rehiring him, so he’ll probably end up there again.

I am not BOB fan. I think he does not have the Bojangles to elevate players to their max potential or go on a scheme war with top coaches of this league ( Andy Reid, Bill B, S. Payton).

He is just to conservative IMHO. WTH is this guy always grabbing the OC role. He should be coaching up our players instead of drowning himself into his Denny's menu.

I don't know what Bojangles mean, but it sounded cool.

You know what. He did a good job in bringing this team to the playoffs, but he just have to do something new, besides what he is doing. 2 games this year against colts and eagles on playoff atmosphere and LOST.

We should be the team trying to win the game, not the team trying not to lose.

Final DVOA ratings:
Offense: 21st
Defense: 7th
Special Teams: 5th

21st is the same rank O'Brien's offense had with Fitzpatrick, and the highest he's ever achieved.

2nd best record and 2nd most pts scored in franchise history. As good as Kubiak for all of you jock sniffers out there.

Yeah, let's fire that guy. The brilliance around here knows no bounds.

2nd best record and 2nd most pts scored in franchise history. As good as Kubiak for all of you jock sniffers out there.

Yeah, let's fire that guy. The brilliance around here knows no bounds.

5b9fe6d74bce7.image.jpg

The stat about Hopkins dropping no passes and considering some of the great catches he has had got me to wondering. Back 25 years ago when they had the vaseline type stickum, the ball was almost glued to the receivers hands when he caught it. The gloves they have now, how are they? Are they really sticky or more like a golf glove? Have any of you seen any upclose?

The stat about Hopkins dropping no passes and considering some of the great catches he has had got me to wondering. Back 25 years ago when they had the vaseline type stickum, the ball was almost glued to the receivers hands when he caught it. The gloves they have now, how are they? Are they really sticky or more like a golf glove? Have any of you seen any upclose?

They're not like golf gloves. AJ used to play with those, some sort of soft skin. Hopkins wears gloves with a shiny latex appearance. Way stickier than leather on leather.

The Houston Watson's are playing the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday at 3:30.

This just in, take Brady and Gronk off of the Pats and what do you have? Luck,TY off of the Colts?

Star players and good coaching led to the 2nd most wins in franchise history and every game was within a TD yet itsi all Watson.

The mob sure has a hard time contemplating that it's possible they could be wrong.

This just in, take Brady and Gronk off of the Pats and what do you have? Luck,TY off of the Colts?

Star players and good coaching led to the 2nd most wins in franchise history and every game was within a TD yet itsi all Watson.

The mob sure has a hard time contemplating that it's possible they could be wrong.

Simple, when they win, its the players, when they lose, BOB is an idiot. Hey, and sometimes he has screwed up but it’s a little of both right now and until BOB relinquishes the OC duties he’ll continue to take more heat, myself included.

Simple, when they win, its the players, when they lose, BOB is an idiot. Hey, and sometimes he has screwed up but it’s a little of both right now and until BOB relinquishes the OC duties he’ll continue to take more heat, myself included.

Most of this has to do with the expectations fpr this year. People are very unrealistic in regards to what they expect vs the talent on the team.

Of course there's also a lot of Kubiak worship going on around here too.

BOB has accomplished as much as Kubiak ever did with the Texans and the mob is having a hard time with accepting this fact.

I give them a pass since most of them don't know what they're looking at anyways.

Good times are ahead. I'm pretty good at predicting these things.

Is O’Brein capable of coaching his team deep in the playoffs and to the Super Bowl. Having a good plan to contain Luck and T.Y. would go a long way toward showing he is. We will see.

I have to ask, are we still wanting to fire O'Brien NOW?

There's not a lot I like about OB. Design of the offense, improper use of personnel, in-game adjustments, in-season adjustments, game management, talent evaluation, condescending attitude, etc, and so on. I do think he is a good leader because the players never ever quit on him. But it doesn't really matter what I think. As long as the Houston Texans win football games, I'll deal. If they don't, I'll wait for him to get fired.

It's possible I could be wrong.

That was easy.

How about you? Can you contemplate that you may be wrong?

Is O’Brein capable of coaching his team deep in the playoffs and to the Super Bowl. Having a good plan to contain Luck and T.Y. would go a long way toward showing he is. We will see.

BO'b doesn't mess with the defense much. Said he doesn't even attend the defensive meetings. He leaves it all up to ARC.

All BO'b does is coach the offense.

The Texans were 18th in offensive TDs scored. Though they were first in field goals due to moving the ball but being 28th in the redzone. They were also 2nd in average starting line of scrimmage (they started in better field position than most other offenses).

Also, offense is experiencing inflation in the NFL, it's a different era now than when Kubiak was coach. Relative to the era, Kubiak's offenses were at the top 10 most years, O'Brien's bottom 10 ever year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradad...coring-is-up-and-so-are-ratings/#90fbff876cd3

Scoring Is Up: As most any football fan will tell you, watching NFL games in 2018 has been exciting. One reason is that scoring is on a record-setting pace. After 11 weeks, the NFL has been on a record pace for most points scored (7,791), most touchdown (895) and most passing touchdowns (570). On average, there are 48.4 points scored in a game, another record. Teams that score the most are also Super Bowl contenders.

In the past, the conventional wisdom has been a strong defense wins championships. In 2018, that notion has been spun on its head. Since 1970, there have been only eight teams that have averaged more than 35 points per game, and three of them are playing in 2018. The New Orleans Saints with quarterback (and MVP candidate) Drew Brees lead, averaging 37.8 points per game. The Kansas City Chiefs follow, averaging 36.7 points, and the Los Angeles Rams are averaging 35.4. Besides having high powered offenses, the three top scoring teams have a combined win-loss record of 29 and 4.

Last edited:
There's not a lot I like about OB. Design of the offense, improper use of personnel, in-game adjustments, in-season adjustments, game management, talent evaluation, condescending attitude, etc, and so on. I do think he is a good leader because the players never ever quit on him. But it doesn't really matter what I think. As long as the Houston Texans win football games, I'll deal. If they don't, I'll wait for him to get fired.

IMO, the team should strive for continual improvement. Even though they are winning, they may not be contenders at the level of elite teams. To get there, they need to get rid of their weaknesses (OB).

I like winning and they've done alot of that this yr.

Wrong about what?

That what we're seeing is the result of a competent OC making the most of the talent he has available.

16 weeks, WRs in & out of the lineup & we can't figure out how to get two young, talented TEs involved in the passing game.

Yeah, they have to help protect the QB, but if we use a 6th offensive lineman, couldn't one of those TEs go into a pattern?

IMO, the team should strive for continual improvement. Even though they are winning, they may not be contenders at the level of elite teams. To get there, they need to get rid of their weaknesses (OB).

I like winning and they've done alot of that this yr.

Right, but when it gets to a point where you can't get past the 2nd round....

Winning in the regular season and getting to the playoffs is important, but the goal here is Super Bowl. If you're not winning in January.....

In the past, the conventional wisdom has been a strong defense wins championships. In 2018, that notion has been spun on its head. Since 1970, there have been only eight teams that have averaged more than 35 points per game, and three of them are playing in 2018.

Wouldn't one of those 3 teams have to win before that dogma can be spun on it's head?

Sounds like we have 9 teams in the playoffs that avg less than 35 points per game.

That what we're seeing is the result of a competent OC making the most of the talent he has available.

16 weeks, WRs in & out of the lineup & we can't figure out how to get two young, talented TEs involved in the passing game.

Yeah, they have to help protect the QB, but if we use a 6th offensive lineman, couldn't one of those TEs go into a pattern?

11 wins with the issues you point out. Pretty good stuff.

The TE position is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to learn. Look at 1st rd pick Hayden Hurst as an example, Jordan Thomas a converted WR/6th rd pick had a better yr than Hurst had. Lets get the OL fixed and then I can get on board with your criticism. For me this yr has been all about keeping Watson healthy behind this OL. If keeping the TE's in to help out keeps Watson healthy I'm good with that. BOB's succeeded in keeping Watson healthy so regardless of record, (Which happens to be the 2nd most successful in franchise history) BOB has had a successful season.

Also it's funny that some of the people on herethat are critical of BOB dont seem to realize that they were 14 pts away from putting up the most pts in franchise history. Thanks BOB and continue with what you're doing despite detractors like TK.

Right, but when it gets to a point where you can't get past the 2nd round....

Winning in the regular season and getting to the playoffs is important, but the goal here is Super Bowl. If you're not winning in January.....

Did you honestly think this team had the talent to win a SB this yr? I didn't

Do you think the team currently has the talent to win a SB? I dont, they're too beat up and the thought of Davenport being a starting LT on a SB winner is incomprehensible to me.

Did you honestly think this team had the talent to win a SB this yr? I didn't

Do you think the team currently has the talent to win a SB? I dont, they're too beat up and the thought of Davenport being a starting LT on a SB winner is incomprehensible to me.

That's my point. If they win and are contenders, I don't give 2 shits who the coach is or whether I like him or not. And that's what I meant by winning. Winning, or at the very least, competing, for championships.

That said, with all the deficiencies they have, they still scored the 2nd most points they've ever scored. So, I don't believe they have what it takes to win a SB this year, but I didn't believe they'd be 11-5 either.

The TE position is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to learn. Look at 1st rd pick Hayden Hurst as an example, Jordan Thomas a converted WR/6th rd pick had a better yr than Hurst had. Lets get the OL fixed and then I can get on board with your criticism. For me this yr has been all about keeping Watson healthy behind this OL. If keeping the TE's in to help out keeps Watson healthy I'm good with that.

Again, based on what you just said, it would have made more sense to use a 6th lineman to assist with the blocking & using JT more like a WR.

Again, based on what you just said, it would have made more sense to use a 6th lineman to assist with the blocking & using JT more like a WR.

You cant run 6 OL as a base for your offense. You need the threat of the TE even if he's just an outlet after helping out the OT.

You know this.

You cant run 6 OL as a base for your offense. You need the threat of the TE even if he's just an outlet after helping out the OT.

You know this.

There is a big difference between using a 6th OL as your base offense & never using a 6th Offensive lineman.

I assumed you knew this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back