Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Big issue for me is how he handles the preseason. He hampers his teams at the start of seasons and it shows with the slow starts every year. I mean you can’t plan to start a season with damn near a whole new o-line and don’t give those guys a decent amount of reps in presason together to gel some; especially when u know the talent there is avg. to below avg aaannnddd u knowing that your season rests with DW4’s health.

I too believe he can overcommit to the run game at times during games. The difference with me as opposed to some others on here however is that I understand why he does it (super central to his scheme) and I don’t think his overcommitment is any worse than say an Andy Reid or Mike Martz falling in love with the pass game......at times. Al these guys have their preferences that they lean too much to at times.
Fair enough. Now just talk a lot more about the things that you don't like about BOB and a lot less about the things you do like and the board will be a happier place. :)

Fair enough. Now just talk a lot more about the things that you don't like about BOB and a lot less about the things you do like and the board will be a happier place. :)

It's much better than telling the truth.

And I can eliminate your ability to field a winning football team. You apparently value individual performance over a winning record. I don't know how old you are, so I don't know if you were watching football when Sanders played. He'd have 14 carries for 20 yards then bust a long run. That goes a long way towards losing football games, but hey, it's good for stats.
Yep, you're incapable of recognizing one of the greatest RBs in the history of the game in some vain attempt to make your point using a horrible example.

A smart guy doesn't double-down on that mistake. He gives a better example.

Yep, you're incapable of recognizing one of the greatest RBs in the history of the game in some vain attempt to make your point using a horrible example.

My example is perfectly good for the rationale I'm using. You're simply looking at stats and assuming he was a one man wrecking crew. I'm looking at the bigger picture.
Sanders cost the Lions numerous games because of his running style. Sure, he'd usually bust 1 long one during a game, but the majority of his runs were for little or no gain, putting his team behind the sticks on down and distance (We all saw how well that works out yesterday). That means the defense is on the field more and get gassed. I'd take a healthy Arian Foster all day long over Sanders. I've never said that Sanders wasn't a great running back. He broke ankles out there. His running style is simply one that I wouldn't want in my starting running back.
This "discussion" was about opinions. Mine differs from yours. Get over it.

To my point. It's Wikipedia, so yeah...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

Sanders also holds the NFL record for the most carries for negative yardage. According to the NFL, Sanders is the all-time leader in rushing yards lost by a running back with 1,114.

Almost 1/3 of his carries were for negative yardage. With 4 downs to work with and maybe 65-70 total plays, do you really want 20 or so of them to be negative? Speaking of, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Stats can be a difficult to deal with. I watched Barry Sanders over his entire career and thought of him then as I do now. He can wow ya, but he can't lead ya to the Promised Land. Ask Lions fans. 78-82 with Sanders. No Super Bowls. I bet that Gold Jacket sits real well with all the defensive players he let down.

To my point. It's Wikipedia, so yeah...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

Almost 1/3 of his carries were for negative yardage. With 4 downs to work with and maybe 65-70 total plays, do you really want 20 or so of them to be negative? Speaking of, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Stats can be a difficult to deal with. I watched Barry Sanders over his entire career and thought of him then as I do now. He can wow ya, but he can't lead ya to the Promised Land. Ask Lions fans. 78-82 with Sanders. No Super Bowls. I bet that Gold Jacket sits real well with all the defensive players he let down.

Sigh - the league is riddled with good backs with negative yardage plays.

Hell, even Reddit had this discussion. https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2kboc4/stat_request_running_backs_career_negative_yardage/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Give Sanders a BJ and tell him I said "hey". Then promptly put me on your ignore list. You're too stupid to properly debate.
Poor simpleton can’t even understand what real talent looks like and is too stupid to admit it.

Go play aggrieved moron somewhere else and tell me when you’re ready to play with the big kids.

Poor simpleton can’t even understand what real talent looks like and is too stupid to admit it.

Go play aggrieved moron somewhere else and tell me when you’re ready to play with the big kids.

Sigh. That's all you get.

1115zk1.png

This is why some of us really hate OB the OC. First play of the game, 10 in the box, you come out running up the middle with Miller.....just stop already

I wonder what Watson is thinking when he's looking at that defense knowing he's got "run up the middle" called.

Last edited:
All this happy horseshit about offensive coordinators is so freaking tiresome.

If you don’t have one, then you need to get one.
If you have one, then you need to get another one.

:rolleyes:

All this happy horseshit about offensive coordinators is so freaking tiresome.

If you don’t have one, then you need to get one.
If you have one, then you need to get another one.

:rolleyes:

His name next yr will be Sean Ryan.

That wont make the haters happy.

A point that is being missed is that if the players have to play perfect for the scheme to score 30 points or put up average production then it isn't a good scheme or playcalling.

Sure Watson had some issues with the blitz this week (or maybe the play calls didn't counter the blitzes). Another week it will be something else and BOB gets another pass until the players are perfect and the offense still only scores 20 points.

But no player is perfect, not Mahomes or Goff either, yet they are still a top 10, not bottom 10 offense.

A point that is being missed is that if the players have to play perfect for the scheme to score 30 points or put up average production then it isn't a good scheme or playcalling.

Sure Watson had some issues with the blitz this week (or maybe the play calls didn't counter the blitzes). Another week it will be something else and BOB gets another pass until the players are perfect and the offense still only scores 20 points.

But no player is perfect, not Mahomes or Goff either, yet they are still a top 10, not bottom 10 offense.

And that’s all because we have inferior coaching... right?
And that’s all because they have superior coaching .... right?

Every single god damn year, ever since year one, it’s the same damn thing. It didn’t matter if it was Capers, it didn’t matter if it was Kubiak, and now it doesn’t matter that it’s O’Brien.

It’s the same thing.... year after year after year after year after after year.

NO, NOBODY IS MISSING THE POINT. THE POINT IS ALWAYS, ALWAYS THE SAME.

You blame the coaching just because it makes you feel better.

Every single god damn year, ever since year one, it’s the same damn thing. It didn’t matter if it was Capers, it didn’t matter if it was Kubiak, and now it doesn’t matter that it’s O’Brien.

No Kubiak actually built good offenses. Several top 10 and above average almost every year.

Also no one is calling for Crennel to get fired.

So your post doesn't make any sense to me.

I have to ask since I honestly don't know but does BOB script his first few drives? if so does he not let DW audible out of the script? I'm confused as to how that would make sense....BTW I'm not defending BOB I'm just trying to figure out what the idea is

I'm either on everyone's ignore or all of the arm chair QBs/coaches in here honestly don't know the answer

I'm either on everyone's ignore or all of the arm chair QBs/coaches in here honestly don't know the answer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/06/houston-texans-game-plan-nfl-playoffs

Gives you an insight to the prep work they do. I'd have to believe there are plenty of contingency plans in respect to unexpected defense formations etc... That part is on Watson. He's still being tricked by the defenses. I'm sure there are also 'no audible' mandatory plays that Bill must have for balance.

One day Deshaun will be out there calling all the plays.

No Kubiak actually built good offenses. Several top 10 and above average almost every year.

Also no one is calling for Crennel to get fired.

So your post doesn't make any sense to me.

Sure it does. Everyone wanted Kubiak fired. It’s only what he did after he left, which put egg on some of your faces, and now, you want be a revisionist historian hoping you won’t get called on it.

Sure it does. Everyone wanted Kubiak fired. It’s only what he did after he left, which put egg on some of your faces, and now, you want be a revisionist historian hoping you won’t get called on it.

Eh not really. I wasn't big on firing him. But even if I was you can say it was a mistake to fire him. But that doesn't mean it's a mistake to fire O'Brien.

I wanted to let go both Smith and O'Brien. Maybe gone after Shanahan or kept Vrabel. Either way I knew OB wasn't cutting it because he was just as stubborn as Kubiak was. Kubiak was blasted for not hiring a competent DC. OB should be blasted for the same thing for not hiring a competent OC.

If OB is a good HC, it wouldn't take him 6 years to figure out which coaches to hire for the OL, to coach a qb and for calling plays.

I wanted to let go both Smith and O'Brien. Maybe gone after Shanahan or kept Vrabel. Either way I knew OB wasn't cutting it because he was just as stubborn as Kubiak was. Kubiak was blasted for not hiring a competent DC. OB should be blasted for the same thing for not hiring a competent OC.

If OB is a good HC, it wouldn't take him 6 years to figure out which coaches to hire for the OL, to coach a qb and for calling plays.

It would take 6 yrs if Ricky was calling the shots as GM.

They blame the coaching b/c it’s thought of by fans as the quickest potential fix....right behind drafting a qb...

Football is the greatest team sport in the world and no single fix is going to take u from the outhouse to the penthouse...sadly, most fans have the NBA basketball mentality where 1 guy can tremendously impact the teams’ fortunes.

You sound silly. As if coaches walk around with a sign on their forehead that says “good coach” and “bad coach” lol.

I could understand if we hadn’t achieved anything in his 6 years but we’ve at least been to the playoffs. I mean what HC could last 4 or more years on the job and not even make the playoffs in this day and age :kubepalm: Hmmmmm :hmmm:

You sound silly. As if coaches walk around with a sign on their forehead that says “good coach” and “bad coach” lol.

I could understand if we hadn’t achieved anything in his 6 years but we’ve at least been to the playoffs. I mean what HC could last 4 or more years on the job and not even make the playoffs in this day and age :kubepalm: Hmmmmm :hmmm:
So you're saying Marvin Lewis is a good coach because he's made the playoffs?

:ok:

I wanted Gary gone but I also wanted Rick gone so we could start fresh. Hire a GM, and then let the GM hire the coach. The whole thing seemed backwards to me at the time. They hire a coach in Gary who then essentially hires the GM in RS. Made no sense. In some respects, we've got the same backwards org chart now.

As far as OB, he reverted in this game to the coach of the 0-3 Texans, making numerous tactical errors and his game plan is too rigid and in-game adjustments aren't apparent very often. The poorly thought out TO near the end of half one is an example, but far from the only one. He wasn't THE cause of the loss, but he was a major problem. RAC also had a bad game, but for me - he gets a pass as he has proven himself over not just years but decades.

At this point in time, I'm personally not calling for OB's firing. He deserves a lot of credit for pulling the team off the mat. The question is, when the chips are down and we're no longer playing the little sisters of the poor, is his brand of offense good enough to get the job done? I think hiring an OC - a REAL OC and not some figure head like he had before would be of huge help. BOB misses the little in game things way too often, and perhaps it's because he's wearing too many hats.

Whether he hires an OC or not, I'd like one more offseason of Gaine and BOB working together. Hopefully, continue to build the O-Line, let Watson have one more off-season to learn and build upon - then see where we are next year.

Extreme exception to the rule...but you know that though....
I think that's where I'm at. I don't see O'B being better than Marvin Lewis. I hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything since he's been here to tell me otherwise.

I didn't care much for Rudy T, but he brought a championship. I wasn't fond of Hinch, but hey, he did it. O'B is next on my list. lol

Last edited:
I think that's where I'm at. I don't see O'B being better than Marvin Lewis. I hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything since he's been here to tell me otherwise.

I didn't care much for Rudy T, but he brought a championship. I wasn't found of Hinch, but hey, he did it. O'B is next on my list. lol

Lol...so u not liking OB is a good thing huh?

You're the revisionist. Plenty of people wanted Kubiak retained.

I wasn't on the fire Kubes bandwagon either.

Crazy to me that fans are making the stand now that firing a head coach doesn't fix things. When the HC is a proven mediocre offensive mind. I agree HCs often get fired too quickly, but not this time.

I guess the fact that he yells a lot and looks like a high school football coach makes up for his dated offense.

Is John DeFilippo (vikings) a fit in O'Briens offense?

Nope , hes off the Reid tree and wants to throw the ball all over the place hence why hes gone.

Min was running the ball pretty well, had a short 3rd and 1 and he called a bootleg with a very unsettled Cousins that he ran for his life and threw into the stands, made zero sense

I wanted Gary gone but I also wanted Rick gone so we could start fresh. Hire a GM, and then let the GM hire the coach. The whole thing seemed backwards to me at the time. They hire a coach in Gary who then essentially hires the GM in RS. Made no sense. In some respects, we've got the same backwards org chart now.

As far as OB, he reverted in this game to the coach of the 0-3 Texans, making numerous tactical errors and his game plan is too rigid and in-game adjustments aren't apparent very often. The poorly thought out TO near the end of half one is an example, but far from the only one. He wasn't THE cause of the loss, but he was a major problem. RAC also had a bad game, but for me - he gets a pass as he has proven himself over not just years but decades.

At this point in time, I'm personally not calling for OB's firing. He deserves a lot of credit for pulling the team off the mat. The question is, when the chips are down and we're no longer playing the little sisters of the poor, is his brand of offense good enough to get the job done? I think hiring an OC - a REAL OC and not some figure head like he had before would be of huge help. BOB misses the little in game things way too often, and perhaps it's because he's wearing too many hats.

Whether he hires an OC or not, I'd like one more offseason of Gaine and BOB working together. Hopefully, continue to build the O-Line, let Watson have one more off-season to learn and build upon - then see where we are next year.

Agreed on the 1st part of this post.

If Watson had hit on those 2 TD passes we would be having a different discussion today.

No the talent on offense isn't good enough to beat the upper echelon teams.

In a way I hope Gaine uses the draft to add talent to the offense and adds a couple of vet CB's to the defense in FA.

They blame the coaching b/c it’s thought of by fans as the quickest potential fix....right behind drafting a qb...

Football is the greatest team sport in the world and no single fix is going to take u from the outhouse to the penthouse...sadly, most fans have the NBA basketball mentality where 1 guy can tremendously impact the teams’ fortunes.

I wish I had a nickel for every single time I’ve made this very statement since I’ve been here, which was before the team even got named. Replacing the coach is nothing but a quick fix. Just do that, then everything gets fat, dumb, and happy in the world, plus it gives me that mental reset for the offseason.

Just the same typical usual suspects.

I wish I had a nickel for every single time I’ve made this very statement since I’ve been here, which was before the team even got named. Replacing the coach is nothing but a quick fix. Just do that, then everything gets fat, dumb, and happy in the world, plus it gives me that mental reset for the offseason.

Just the same typical usual suspects.

Except you have no idea how people stood in previous coaches. A lot of the obrien supporters who now think coaches shouldn't be fired wanted Kubiak fired

Also no one claims it's a quick fix. But it's been obriens dull offense for 5 years. It isn't even a slow fix with him, it's a never fix

Except you have no idea how people stood in previous coaches. A lot of the obrien supporters who now think coaches shouldn't be fired wanted Kubiak fired

Also no one claims it's a quick fix. But it's been obriens dull offense for 5 years. It isn't even a slow fix with him, it's a never fix

Oh yeah, it’s got nothing to do with the OL problems, it has nothing to do with WR injuries, it has nothing to do with Watson not able to throw the ball away. Nothing to do with holding the players at all responsible.

Just do your thing and regurgitate the same f’cking ****.

Chicken/Egg Theory. Do you have proof that hiring a GM, with personnel control, has a better record than a HC who pics the GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back