Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the

Tacks vs Chiefs last yr.

Although I'm not sure the Texans can score 27 vs the Chiefs. That's what I think it will take to beat the Chiefs in the playoffs even without Hunt.

Spencer Ware is a very solid back. Ware is good in short ydge, can catch the ball out of the backfield and is good in pass pro. What he wont give them that Hunt does is the dynamic plays.

BTW, I would like Ware to be signed by Gaine this offseaon. A Miller/Ware backfield looks pretty good to me.

I think u can find a Spencer ware somewhere 4-5th round of the draft. Some small school kid with a chip on his shoulder.

Ware doesn’t scare defenses and no one outside of Tyreke Hill lining up in the backfield at the RB position does.

Otherwise I agree with u about what they lost with Hunt.

The Texans have a .480 SOS, much closer to the easiest than the hardest. Show me a link for Strength of Victory. Slipping past Dallas in OT, Denver and the Dolts hardly qualifies as strong victories. The Texans have been on the good side of just about every break in the winning streak. Four wins by more than one score against the likes of the Dolphins, Jags, tAcks and Browns. That's called beating the teams you're supposed to beat. The other 5 the Texans just got lucky. I give OB props for not losing the locker room. I credit that more to the leaders on the team than OB. He's just not a good play-caller and his "scheme" appears ad-hoc.
http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/table/_/view/playoff
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/hou/houston-texans
http://www.espn.com/nfl/standings

You provided your own link for strength of victory. Only teams in AFC with a higher SOV than Texans are Pats and Titans.

Strength of schedule doesn't come into play for the playoff picture ahead of strength of victory

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Longest winning streak in the league... why are you so unhappy? All they can do is beat the teams they play, they've been pretty good at that

Chiefs‘ opponents are scoring 27.2 points/game against them. They just gave up 33 to one of the worst offenses in the league (Raiders). So why do you think it will be difficult for Texans to score 27?

Yes/No

I could see something like 38-24

OK........I will put you down as not being happy with 9-3.
I'm plenty happy with 9-3. I'm just not blind to the flaws on this team and its coaching staff. I don't see the point in getting all worked up and thinking the Texans are going to make some serious noise in the playoffs. I would dearly love it if I have to eat crow, but I don't think I will.
You provided your own link for strength of victory. Only teams in AFC with a higher SOV than Texans are Pats and Titans.

Strength of schedule doesn't come into play for the playoff picture ahead of strength of victory

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Longest winning streak in the league... why are you so unhappy? All they can do is beat the teams they play, they've been pretty good at that
Are we talking about the same team? If Reich doesn't have a brain fart and a couple of FGs get made, this is a 6-6 team. So y'all think that a .459 SOV is something stellar? I brought up SOS because the Texans aren't exactly playing the better teams in the league. Agreed, they can only play the teams on the schedule but they've barely eked by some teams. BTW, The Broncos and Bengals have better SOV than the Texans @ .467 & .465 respectively and the Jags are right behind the Texans @ .458. They have a considerably better SOS than the Texans. If you want to get drunk on the Kool Aid of questionable coaching decisions and lucky breaks, go right ahead. I'm going to hide, watch and see what happens.

As I have said, I'll take a win any day but I'm under no illusions that OBs coaching has had more of hand in the outcome than Lady Luck. Who knows, maybe tomorrow's game will change my mind. I'm seeing the opposite of 2013 when every bad break that could happen went against the Texans. On this winning streak they have gotten every good one.

I’m not the biggest BOB fan. Between his demeanor to the outside world and his bone headed moves he’s hard for the locals to love but again if we’re going to bury the guy when he loses then we have to give credit to his wins.

I’m tired of hearing “well if Reich does this or Garret does that we’d be” blah blah blah, Dandy Don said it best and made it popular.....

If we had gone 4-5 in the last 9 you’d have a group saying we should’ve reeled off 9 in a row with this schedule!

Yes this team has flaws, all 32 teams have flaws and we appear to still have a HC finding his way at times but he’s our guy so I’m going to get behind this HC and our team and enjoy the ride. It looks like we’re still a year away from serious contention but hey who knows, stranger things have happened in the playoffs....

I’m not the biggest BOB fan. Between his demeanor to the outside world and his bone headed moves he’s hard for the locals to love but again if we’re going to bury the guy when he loses then we have to give credit to his wins.

I’m tired of hearing “well if Reich does this or Garret does that we’d be” blah blah blah, Dandy Don said it best and made it popular.....

If we had gone 4-5 in the last 9 you’d have a group saying we should’ve reeled off 9 in a row with this schedule!

Yes this team has flaws, all 32 teams have flaws and we appear to still have a HC finding his way at times but he’s our guy so I’m going to get behind this HC and our team and enjoy the ride. It looks like we’re still a year away from serious contention but hey who knows, stranger things have happened in the playoffs....
The proof will be in the pudding once the Texans play the playoff caliber teams. I'm tired of hearing "we're 9-3 and going to the Super Bowl" when all the Texans are doing is beating perennial cellar dwellers. You won't meet a person happier to eat crow than me if the Texans make it to the AFCCG, much less the SB.

The proof will be in the pudding once the Texans play the playoff caliber teams. I'm tired of hearing "we're 9-3 and going to the Super Bowl" when all the Texans are doing is beating perennial cellar dwellers. You won't meet a person happier to eat crow than me if the Texans make it to the AFCCG, much less the SB.

I said zero about a SB and who the hell is saying that anyway? Of course I’m not sitting in a NRG seat every week hearing drunk fans during this streak so....

Going 9-3 and giving BOB credit has ZERO to do with fans saying we’re going to the Super Bowl.

Again, I’m just not going to tear it down right now or sit around waiting to say “see I told you so”

Last edited:
As I have said, I'll take a win any day but I'm under no illusions that OBs coaching has had more of hand in the outcome than Lady Luck.

Who are you arguing with? It's the minority here who believe BO'b is the reason for the season.

Only a few who actually thinks this is a good team.

Most of us understand & appreciate the breaks we've gotten & are waiting, watching, & hoping something real is happening.

At least that's the way I read the board.

Who are you arguing with? It's the minority here who believe BO'b is the reason for the season.

Most of us understand & appreciate the breaks we've gotten & are waiting, watching, & hoping something real is happening.

Obviously the few that think this is a good team.
:kitten:

Exactly.which with teams like that whom stink on defense and win simply by outgunning u, all u really need to do is slow them down enough, by limiting their possessions and muck up the game. If they don’t score 30 they panic.
Yeah dude I just hope OB has that 35pt game plan. At some point the texans will be in a track meet in the playoffs. We know we have the tools but hopefully OB has a hand he hasn't shown.

Are we talking about the same team? If Reich doesn't have a brain fart and a couple of FGs get made, this is a 6-6 team. So y'all think that a .459 SOV is something stellar? I brought up SOS because the Texans aren't exactly playing the better teams in the league. Agreed, they can only play the teams on the schedule but they've barely eked by some teams. BTW, The Broncos and Bengals have better SOV than the Texans @ .467 & .465 respectively and the Jags are right behind the Texans @ .458. They have a considerably better SOS than the Texans. If you want to get drunk on the Kool Aid of questionable coaching decisions and lucky breaks, go right ahead. I'm going to hide, watch and see what happens.

As I have said, I'll take a win any day but I'm under no illusions that OBs coaching has had more of hand in the outcome than Lady Luck. Who knows, maybe tomorrow's game will change my mind. I'm seeing the opposite of 2013 when every bad break that could happen went against the Texans. On this winning streak they have gotten every good one.

Yeah we are talking about the same team. They are 9-3 on a 9 game winning streak. Denver and the Bengals are not in the playoff picture right now. I don't overlook the flaws or think that they are a great team. But I'm not going to harp and b!tch about it right now because I just want to enjoy while I can. It's been a long time since I could enjoy anything Houston football. They probably won't go far, but things are looking up with Watson

Yeah dude I just hope OB has that 35pt game plan. At some point the texans will be in a track meet in the playoffs. We know we have the tools but hopefully OB has a hand he hasn't shown.

Why?

Complementary football. Your offense & defense should work together to make them play our game. We dictate terms. We hold the ball & we make them work for every yard of gain.

Why?

Complementary football. Your offense & defense should work together to make them play our game. We dictate terms. We hold the ball & we make them work for every yard of gain.

Should is nice.

But sometimes that doesn't work.

Our team should not be limited by its coach or whatever "system" is "in place."

WE ARE a good team. Arguably not a superior team for obvious reasons mainly the OL but WTH has happened to optimism in this world?

The Texans are not a great team this year, they've been very adequate and enjoyed several breaks that went their way. The crazy thing, there's been a steady improvement by this team as the season has progressed, even as they fight through some crucial injuries of their own.

So, are the Texans as good as their 9-3 record would indicate? Probably not but as fate would possibly see it, those teams that could be in their way this year and have played some pretty good football up to this point are beginning to get chinks in their armor and as the air from their balloons starts to slowly escape, their coming down to the level of the Texans balloon which could change the whole dynamic of the 2019 AFC Playoff scene.

But, as any good fan would say......the playoffs are for later, today the Texans need to knock off the Colts.

Last edited:

I don't see that at all. There are plenty here that would Rag on the 1972 Dolphins and call them Lucky. Yes, a few games could have turned the other way, BUT they didn't. You could say that about every team every year. There are three or four games that could have gone either way for every team. I guess I am just happier this year. Last year was bad for me. There was the Kneeling that POed me and the team was no good and HELL that is not even mentioning the Stroke and Heart Attack I had. This year is much better in a lot of ways, so I am getting all of the Joy I can from the Texans. You guys need to Believe.

See it how you want to. I see a 6-6 team with three very lucky breaks.

So you are saying we should not be excited because the team got some breaks. Every time there is a WIN, one of the teams got some breaks and made the win possible. We are not playing the season on Pencil and Paper with the best stats winning the SB. It doesn't work that way. The teams get out on the dirt and get physical and sometimes a team will be tougher and make their own breaks. They are the team that wins.

I would say the Texans are a good team, not a great team. In the three loses, they were close and in the games to the end. They appear to be improving just a little with each game. They are not a team you believe will steam roll through the playoffs, but the are just good enough to think they may have a shot. The defense is the strength of this team, and the offense, though not great, does compliment the defensive nature of this team. As long as we can dictate the way the game is played, we have a good shot at winning. If it becomes a shoot out, it will be tough to win, but Watson still gives us some hope to pull it out.

I just wish some of you would knock off this “yeah we’re 9-3 BFD, but I really want them to lose, so I can get back to bitching about OB without getting bitched at” attitude.

Yeah, it’s an attitude, and it’s a really f’cked up attitude at that.

This year is much better in a lot of ways, so I am getting all of the Joy I can from the Texans. You guys need to Believe.

I'm enjoying the heck out of this season. I just don't know how good we are. Still, I think we have a chance to win it all.

Because football...

Holding the Colts to 13 points would help me believe our defense can give us a good chance in the playoffs .

I just wish some of you would knock off this “yeah we’re 9-3 BFD, but I really want them to lose, so I can get back to bitching about OB without getting bitched at” attitude.

Yeah, it’s an attitude, and it’s a really f’cked up attitude at that.

Are you kidding? I'm a Texans, Braves, and Suns fan. I gave up on my hockey team because they were losing on purpose and their fans were cheering when the opponent was scoring goals. I'm sick of losing. I'm sick of bullshit sports occurrences. I want them to win badly. I'm dying for it.

It's not that we "want" them to lose, it's that we don't particularly see the hallmarks of a true 9-3 team and that's what worries us because we're afraid it's not sustainable and that we'll be exposed.

But there's been a helluva improvement and each week that goes by helps in making that feeling fade a bit more.

Are you kidding? I'm a Texans, Braves, and Suns fan. I gave up on my hockey team because they were losing on purpose and their fans were cheering when the opponent was scoring goals. I'm sick of losing. I'm sick of bullshit sports occurrences. I want them to win badly. I'm dying for it.

It's not that we "want" them to lose, it's that we don't particularly see the hallmarks of a true 9-3 team and that's what worries us because we're afraid it's not sustainable and that we'll be exposed.

But there's been a helluva improvement and each week that goes by helps in making that feeling fade a bit more.

This game today is exactly what we mean. A perfectly painted illustration of our hesitation.

Why?

Lol, complimentary football relies on the other team complying. What did Tyson say. Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth. At the game today. Colts not complying so far

Now can we fire OB? It's like he's on the sidelines thinking "they'll NEVER suspect I'd call it up the middle again!" sigh...
More creative play calling and some actual tackling and the Texans win this game. I have to admit that I quit watching at 24-14 and got my afternoon rat killing finished.
On a positive note, my Applewood smoked chicken noodle soup turned out fantabulous. The guys at work will be very happy tomorrow.

[QUOTE="DocBar, post: 2889872, member: 2901"
On a positive note, my Applewood smoked chicken noodle soup turned out fantabulous. The guys at work will be very happy tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I make world class homemade chicken noodle soup, but have never smoked it... is it a good high?

[QUOTE="DocBar, post: 2889872, member: 2901"
On a positive note, my Applewood smoked chicken noodle soup turned out fantabulous. The guys at work will be very happy tomorrow.

I make world class homemade chicken noodle soup, but have never smoked it... is it a good high?[/QUOTE]
Fantastic high, but a biotch to keep lit. This was my 1st stab at it. I smoked the veggies and the chicken breast. It turned out great. I was afraid the smoke would overpower the rest of the flavors, but it was actually quite complimentary. I was glad I didn't inject the breasts. They stayed very moist and who wants a strung out soup?

Last edited:
Didn't he go for 93 yd on First Down?
It probably was on 1st down. So what? The Colts were clearly making stuffing the run game and forcing Watson to throw to win. It's one thing to be committed to running the ball. It's quite another to be OCD/Autistic about it. It's not hard to make them pay for it. Well, it's not hard for good play callers. Do some WR screens, Jet's Sweeps, pitches, reverses, flea flickers, just something different.

Didn't he go for 93 yd on First Down?
Those kind of one off plays don't mean a lot to me. I would rather have a legit 4.5 ypa. back than Barry Sanders. I would rather have an Aaron Rodgers than Brett Favre. I never understood why everyone was infatuated with Sanders. Yes, he made some mind-boggling plays that were all time great plays. He also danced around too much and tried to hit a home run on every carry. The end result was a lot of 3&outs, gassed defenses and a lot of losses. Favre's INT record will likely remain for a long, long time. Eli Manning is the closest active QB and he's 100 short of Favre.

I like solid players I can count on more than streaky players who can cost as many games as they win. Just my preference.

Reactions: JB
I am hoping Cal has ability and desire to evaluate if OBrien is one to take this team further after this off season over. Also if OB let go hope there are some decent options to choose from and I am unsure of both of these.

It’s a little amusing how this has morphed from “Fire O’Brien now” into “Is this team a lock to win the Super Bowl this year?”.

Ah yes, those pesky little expectations. :rolleyes:

Watching the Chargers just hit a 59 yard FG makes me question O'Brien and failing to use Fairbairn as a weapon today, he's been on fire lately.

Same goes for Dallas.....their Kicker hit a 62 yarder after missing one. Garrett must have some faith in his guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back