Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping Cal has ability and desire to evaluate if OBrien is one to take this team further after this off season over. Also if OB let go hope there are some decent options to choose from and I am unsure of both of these.

I can't believe I'm going to state this, I think Cal should sit O'Brien down at the end of the season and give him a firm ultimatum.....Bill, your going to hire the best OC available and turn your offense over to him or you can submit your resignation. No further conversation needed.....since Cal should give him 48 hours to render his decision.

My personal opinion....O'Brien can get the players to play for him but he's still committing the same mistakes with crucial in game decisions. I'd give him another full season to prove himself as a HC. His new OC must be someone who requires no micro-managing.

Bad game plan. Bad game management. Bad in game adjustments. Outcoached by Reich who was more creative and prepared (he also calls his own plays .. just saying)

So does Brian get to ask tough questions at press conference?

Bad game plan. Bad game management. Bad in game adjustments. Outcoached by Reich who was more creative and prepared (he also calls his own plays .. just saying)

Brian: Coach, what was the purpose of the timeout right before the half?
OB: Doesn’t matter Brian! 9 in a row Brian!
:kitten:

Brian: Coach, what was the purpose of the timeout right before the half?
OB: Doesn’t matter Brian! 9 in a row Brian!
:kitten:

He was asked if the boos from the crowd got to him at post game presser and he was like "is that the best question y'all got" before sprinting from podium.

Some guys can deal and respond to tough questions, O'Brien has consistently shown he cannot. He tries too hard to be like Belichek and it comes off as contrived.

HUMBLE OVER HYPE huh Bill? Lol

He was asked if the boos from the crowd got to him at post game presser and he was like "is that the best question y'all got" before sprinting from podium.

Some guys can deal and respond to tough questions, O'Brien has consistently shown he cannot. He tries too hard to be like Belichek and it comes off as contrived.

HUMBLE OVER HYPE huh Bill? Lol
No matter who was calling the game the simple truth is that the Texans were outplayed by a better team yesterday which had a superior QB and the game was not as close as the score would indicate. When Luck is on like he was Sunday he's one of the best.

No matter who was calling the game the simple truth is that the Texans were outplayed by a better team yesterday which had a superior QB and the game was not as close as the score would indicate. When Luck is on like he was Sunday he's one of the best.

Actually if you look at the stat sheet .. yes .. yes it was ''that close".

Texans won the TOP battle, the turnover battle, had fewer penalties and more rushing yards. Indy picked apart the RAC zone blitz with ease and we could not get through the 6-7 man offensive fronts. Indy was bringing heat every other play they know OL is suspect and they attacked the weakest link. Still a close game, let the kicker kick maybe Watson makes a few more plays who knows, but it wasn't a curbstomping Texans hung in there.

Reich is unfortunately a good coach.

And the bane of Houston football.

That reminds me, I need to visit the hate thread.

Missed open receivers, the OL is still very bad but BOB did a good job scheming guys open and Watson missed some of them, but the plays were there to be made. Good job by BOB.

The defense yesterday was a whole different discussion. While certain guys like you are calling for BOB's scalp, (What's new) the defense certainly under performed yesterday and I haven't seen one post from you or the posters that haven't liked the BOB hire from the beginning calling for RAC's head.

Missed open receivers, the OL is still very bad but BOB did a good job scheming guys open and Watson missed some of them, but the plays were there to be made. Good job by BOB.

The defense yesterday was a whole different discussion. While certain guys like you are calling for BOB's scalp, (What's new) the defense certainly under performed yesterday and I haven't seen one post from you or the posters that haven't liked the BOB hire from the beginning calling for RAC's head.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/route/houston-texans/2018/14

Try again. The little shaded routes are your ''scheme" principles. Oh wow Bill used a rub twice in the game wow let's throw a party.

Long. Slow developing.

Yes let's move the attention away from the HC.

Meh, it's a bit of both. Some uninspired playcalls until late, and Watson missing some open guys, usually high and/or long throughout.

On defense, TY Hilton again makes the Texans his personal b!tch.

Those kind of one off plays don't mean a lot to me. I would rather have a legit 4.5 ypa. back than Barry Sanders. I would rather have an Aaron Rodgers than Brett Favre. I never understood why everyone was infatuated with Sanders. Yes, he made some mind-boggling plays that were all time great plays. He also danced around too much and tried to hit a home run on every carry.
You mean the #3 ALL-TIME YPC @4.99 Barry Sanders? (#2 if we skip Jamaal Charles, behind only Jim Brown)

There were open receivers in the game plan BOB used.

Nice charts though, pretty pics.

Dude your so logically flawed or insecure that you can't even be true with yourself.

Pretty pics? Those were the actual routes they ran "what else do you want" lol

Do your thing .. cue the Rick Smith and OL excuses in 3..2..1.

Dude your so logically flawed or insecure that you can't even be true with yourself.

Pretty pics? Those were the actual routes they ran "what else do you want" lol

Do your thing .. cue the Rick Smith and OL excuses in 3..2..1.

LOL

Are you saying with the offense BOB ran yesterday there weren't many plays there to be made that Watson missed?

Is Watson still holding on to the ball too long? Taking off running when there were open guys down field. If there were (There were) you shouldn't really be having a problem with the gameplan BOB used yesterday.

Fact is Watson had a bad game and you're doing the predictable thing that I knew you were going to be doing while I was sitting there at the game watching all of the open receivers he missed. Somehow I knew in your mind it would al be BOB's fault.

So freaking predictable.

LOL

Are you saying with the offense BOB ran yesterday there weren't many plays there to be made that Watson missed?

Is Watson still holding on to the ball too long? Taking off running when there were open guys down field. If there were (There were) you shouldn't really be having a problem with the gameplan BOB used yesterday.

Fact is Watson had a bad game and you're doing the predictable thing that I knew you were going to be doing while I was sitting there at the game watching all of the open receivers he missed. Somehow I knew in your mind it would al be BOB's fault.

So freaking predictable.

Wrong again .. these threads were quite constructive when it was assumed everyone could share the blame in a close loss INCLUDING COACH.

Catch up on all the posts and you can see where the conversation swung .. I'm not blaming Bill O'Brien solely .. I'm saying they all fucked up. You say everyone BUT O'Brien is at fault. That's what I disagree with. I've tried to do it with 'pretty pictures" I've tried to do it with examples of how your argument is weak, but you will see what you want.

Bill OBrien had a good game plan. LMAO.

Offense has a bad game as usual and it's still not obriens fault. I guess he's still needs the right QB.
The good news is that BOB's not going to try to find a new QB again this off-season and have to start over again with a new learning curve. In a recent game, the commentators mentioned that BOB has been on Watson about trying to extend plays. This could be a turning point for Watson when he watches this film and hopefully starts to listen to his coaching on that point.

The good news is that BOB's not going to try to find a new QB again this off-season and have to start over again with a new learning curve. In a recent game, the commentators mentioned that BOB has been on Watson about trying to extend plays. This could be a turning point for Watson when he watches this film and hopefully starts to listen to his coaching on that point.

Yeah the offensive is as productive as the Osweiler years because watson sometimes holds onto the ball too long.

Reactions: Max
Wrong again .. these threads were quite constructive when it was assumed everyone could share the blame in a close loss INCLUDING COACH.

Catch up on all the posts and you can see where the conversation swung .. I'm not blaming Bill O'Brien solely .. I'm saying they all fucked up. You say everyone BUT O'Brien is at fault. That's what I disagree with. I've tried to do it with 'pretty pictures" I've tried to do it with examples of how your argument is weak, but you will see what you want.

Bill OBrien had a good game plan. LMAO.

It's BOB's team, of course he shares blame and is ultimately responsible for the W-L's.

I'm just saying the gameplan was sound and there were plays there to be made that didn't get made. You disagree? If so this is where we differ and neither one of us is going to change our minds.

Of course O'Brien shares in the loss but as bad as we were I'm not sure it would've mattered who was on the sidelines. I thought he screwed up not trying that 55 yard FG

1115zk1.png

This is why some of us really hate OB the OC. First play of the game, 10 in the box, you come out running up the middle with Miller.....just stop already

It's BOB's team, of course he shares blame and is ultimately responsible for the W-L's.

I'm just saying the gameplan was sound and there were plays there to be made that didn't get made. You disagree? If so this is where we differ and neither one of us is going to change our minds.

I agree the game plan was sound but Mike Tyson use to say everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. My issue with BoB is he sticks to his plan even when he is getting hit in the face with a baseball bat.

Jokes aside this is, to me, his weakest point in that once he has a plan that he believes to be sound he almost never switches it up no matter how much its not working. Watson is holding the ball to long and trying to extend plays, ok as a coach that's where you look at it and say, I can't stop him from doing that in the middle of the game so let me change it up, call for short plays, 5 yard passes or such, and then we'll work on that on the practice field. To me the best games BoB and Watson had were the ones where frankly they were just making **** up because the plan was for Tom Squamish and wouldn't work for Watson so they were just trying everything.

Now clearly that won't work long term but its more the general principle, if the plan doesn't seem to be working then stop trying to force that square peg into a round hole. Hell he's sent Miller up the middle so many times my wife has started to be able to predict it and she hates football. Again though it works a couple of times and rather than that being seen as the exception its taken as the rule.

I'm not knocking a 9 game win streak, got to be doing something right for that to happen. However, if BoB could learn to be a little more flexible in his play calling then I think he could take his coaching to the next level. Maybe he's worried about Watson getting hurt, maybe Watson is still a little green and is falling back on bad habits that you can get away with in college, maybe Bob just does need an OC that can focus just on the offense and not worry about the team as a whole. (this is the one I think is the issue) Whatever the case while the team will have a good year, assuming we don't get wiped out from every game onward, to be a real super bowl threat this to me is the biggest issue beyond team weaknesses like the OL.

And you have the gall to accuse others of being so f’cking predictable?

You’re just irked that SteelB has got you so pegged.

Pegged as what exactly? An Obrien Hater? Yalls circle jerk is so slippery none of you even realize when people are complimentary and move the conversation forward. So bad at debate that it usually turns into a junior high lunchroom. I will continue to draw the line at fictitious self serving comments. Sorry if hurts your narratives.

This is why some of us really hate OB the OC. First play of the game, 10 in the box, you come out running up the middle with Miller.....just stop already

I have to ask since I honestly don't know but does BOB script his first few drives? if so does he not let DW audible out of the script? I'm confused as to how that would make sense....BTW I'm not defending BOB I'm just trying to figure out what the idea is

Pegged as what exactly? An Obrien Hater? Yalls circle jerk is so slippery none of you even realize when people are complimentary and move the conversation forward. So bad at debate that it usually turns into a junior high lunchroom. I will continue to draw the line at fictitious self serving comments. Sorry if hurts your narratives.

LOL, I enjoy talking football with you.

Sometimes we disagree.

Your hate of all things BOB clouds your judgement.

Remember, I was the guy that wanted BOB fired with Ricky. With that said, considering BOB's working with basically a rookie QB and the offense and OL in particular is lacking talent, I think BOB has done a really good job this yr.

I agree the game plan was sound but Mike Tyson use to say everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. My issue with BoB is he sticks to his plan even when he is getting hit in the face with a baseball bat.

Jokes aside this is, to me, his weakest point in that once he has a plan that he believes to be sound he almost never switches it up no matter how much its not working. Watson is holding the ball to long and trying to extend plays, ok as a coach that's where you look at it and say, I can't stop him from doing that in the middle of the game so let me change it up, call for short plays, 5 yard passes or such, and then we'll work on that on the practice field. To me the best games BoB and Watson had were the ones where frankly they were just making **** up because the plan was for Tom Squamish and wouldn't work for Watson so they were just trying everything.

Now clearly that won't work long term but its more the general principle, if the plan doesn't seem to be working then stop trying to force that square peg into a round hole. Hell he's sent Miller up the middle so many times my wife has started to be able to predict it and she hates football. Again though it works a couple of times and rather than that being seen as the exception its taken as the rule.

I'm not knocking a 9 game win streak, got to be doing something right for that to happen. However, if BoB could learn to be a little more flexible in his play calling then I think he could take his coaching to the next level. Maybe he's worried about Watson getting hurt, maybe Watson is still a little green and is falling back on bad habits that you can get away with in college, maybe Bob just does need an OC that can focus just on the offense and not worry about the team as a whole. (this is the one I think is the issue) Whatever the case while the team will have a good year, assuming we don't get wiped out from every game onward, to be a real super bowl threat this to me is the biggest issue beyond team weaknesses like the OL.

Disagree, I think it's mostly a talent issue and BOB had a good gameplan yesterday, Watson just had a bad day.

I have to ask since I honestly don't know but does BOB script his first few drives? if so does he not let DW audible out of the script? I'm confused as to how that would make sense....BTW I'm not defending BOB I'm just trying to figure out what the idea is

I was thinking this same thing.

Does O’Brien not allow Watson to audible early?

Or how much can Watson change?

Anyone know when the All-22 is typically made available? I want to watch the game tape before I comment. My quick assessment from watching the game yesterday was that DW4 was having a hard time recognizing blitzes. I'd like to see if there were hot routes available to him. Would also like to see how Colts were able to get TY open so easily.

Anyone know when the All-22 is typically made available? I want to watch the game tape before I comment. My quick assessment from watching the game yesterday was that DW4 was having a hard time recognizing blitzes. I'd like to see if there were hot routes available to him. Would also like to see how Colts were able to get TY open so easily.

He’s twice as fast as anybody on our defense.

Actually if you look at the stat sheet .. yes .. yes it was ''that close".

Texans won the TOP battle, the turnover battle, had fewer penalties and more rushing yards. Indy picked apart the RAC zone blitz with ease and we could not get through the 6-7 man offensive fronts. Indy was bringing heat every other play they know OL is suspect and they attacked the weakest link. Still a close game, let the kicker kick maybe Watson makes a few more plays who knows, but it wasn't a curbstomping Texans hung in there.

The Colts had 4 scoring drives, that's it, 24 points. The rest of the game that team was getting beat by the Texans D.
Colts 1st five drives: punt, punt, punt, punt, INT. 82 yards of offense.
Texans 1st five drives: punt, punt, TD, punt, punt. 103 yards of offense.

Colts next four drives: TD, TD, FG, TD. 230 yards of offense.
Texans next five drives: punt, punt, TD, punt, punt BALL GAME right there.

If this team can ever figure out a way to stop TY......

Last edited:
Meh, it's a bit of both. Some uninspired playcalls until late, and Watson missing some open guys, usually high and/or long throughout.

On defense, TY Hilton again makes the Texans his personal b!tch.

Well see that’s the thing. Its ALWAYS been both, but this thread surviving through a franchise record 9 game win streak is proof that 98% of fans think it’s just 1.

DW4 was having a hard time recognizing blitzes. I'd like to see if there were hot routes available to him. Would also like to see how Colts were able to get TY open so easily.
He was having trouble picking up the corner blitzes. Slow to recognize them. Webb saw them on two plays (that I remember) and cut his route short. Wide open but Watson was late and didn't see it.

You guys really need to come off of this BoB and his scheme crap. No one on this board knows the scheme better than Watson himself and in his post game presser he said that “u can’t always get rid of it early” and then mentioned something about the defense trying to “bait” him to throwing it short...Colts were probably playing a lot of robber coverages to spy Watson and also keep that 9th guy down in the box to defend the run too

The scheme clearly requires a strong running game for it to be “opened” up....but this is not uncommon for most schemes. That’s Y the 1st and foremost tenet of every defense is “stop the run”. Hell, Sean McVay was criticized last night b/c he abandoned it too quickly...think Gurley had 11 carries total for the game. So it’s funny hearing you guys in here calling for more passing when the offense can’t even protect long enough for basic short passes.

The Colts had a good game plan, played lights out defense and got to Watson just enough to get him uncomfortable. It’s probably why he missed DT & Nuk long on 2 BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED plays by BoB. DW4’s explanation for that FROM HIS OWN MOUTH WAS “kinda rushed them a little bit”.....now why do u supposed that was?

You guys really need to come off of this BoB and his scheme crap. No one on this board knows the scheme better than Watson himself and in his post game presser he said that “u can’t always get rid of it early” and then mentioned something about the defense trying to “bait” him to throwing it short...Colts were probably playing a lot of robber coverages to spy Watson and also keep that 9th guy down in the box to defend the run too

The scheme clearly requires a strong running game for it to be “opened” up....but this is not uncommon for most schemes. That’s Y the 1st and foremost tenet of every defense is “stop the run”. Hell, Sean McVay was criticized last night b/c he abandoned it too quickly...think Gurley had 11 carries total for the game. So it’s funny hearing you guys in here calling for more passing when the offense can’t even protect long enough for basic short passes.

The Colts had a good game plan, played lights out defense and got to Watson just enough to get him uncomfortable. It’s probably why he missed DT & Nuk long on 2 BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED plays by BoB. DW4’s explanation for that FROM HIS OWN MOUTH WAS “kinda rushed them a little bit”.....now why do u supposed that was?

Great post and good question.

Some on here the issue is BOB whether it really is or not.

It's the easy/lazy way to explain things even if it's not always the truth. Such as in yesterday's game.

What I wonder is why is RAC's defense not getting more heat for their performance yesterday from the posters that want to blame everything on coaching? After all didn't the Jags just shut that offense down?

I'm going to put something out there that you already know, Coaches jobs are to put players in positions to be successful. BOB did that yesterday, RAC not quite so much. Despite there being huge talent disparities between the Offensive/Defensive sides of the ball.

Aren't you contradicting yourself by saying that the other team had a scheme that threw off our scheme but get off BOB for his scheme because they don't matter?

Aren't you contradicting yourself by saying that the other team had a scheme that threw off our scheme but get off BOB for his scheme because they don't matter?

The Colts defensive scheme was sound, but there were plays that were there to be made. Watson just didn't make enough of them to win the game.

With Ballard/Luck and the Colts OL the Colts are going to be formidable for yrs to come.

Not at all b/c the way u knock a team out of a scheme/game plan real quick is by hitting big plays...Watson clearly missed on those 2 surefire TD’s throws to DT and Nuk...an appropriate call from BoB.

But u can’t call deep passes every damn play...u gotta set that stuff up...with the run....which we couldn’t do either.

The Colts defensive scheme was sound, but there were plays that were there to be made. Watson just didn't make enough of them to win the game.

With Ballard/Luck and the Colts OL the Colts are going to be formidable for yrs to come.
I still don't like OB because I don't think he's a good OC, but some of the passes looked Mariota-like. Watson was sailing some passes that should have been easy completions.

Not at all b/c the way u knock a team out of a scheme/game plan real quick is by hitting big plays...Watson clearly missed on those 2 surefire TD’s throws to DT and Nuk...an appropriate call from BoB.

But u can’t call deep passes every damn play...u gotta set that stuff up...with the run....which we couldn’t do either.
To be fair to you, I understand where you're coming from by going after the sentiment that BOB can't get anything right. You've championed that cause, but at times it feels like you're going overboard in his defense when I doubt that you even feel he's not due some fair criticism at times. We all know that it's not all coaches, and it's not all players (to blame or get credit). Curious what you feel are some of BOB's room for improvement?

Good, just making sure that we can eliminate your ability to judge good (much less HoF "great") RBs.
And I can eliminate your ability to field a winning football team. You apparently value individual performance over a winning record. I don't know how old you are, so I don't know if you were watching football when Sanders played. He'd have 14 carries for 20 yards then bust a long run. That goes a long way towards losing football games, but hey, it's good for stats.

To be fair to you, I understand where you're coming from by going after the sentiment that BOB can't get anything right. You've championed that cause, but at times it feels like you're going overboard in his defense when I doubt that you even feel he's not due some fair criticism at times. We all know that it's not all coaches, and it's not all players (to blame or get credit). Curious what you feel are some of BOB's room for improvement?

1 Big issue for me is how he handles the preseason. He hampers his teams at the start of seasons and it shows with the slow starts every year. I mean you can’t plan to start a season with damn near a whole new o-line and don’t give those guys a decent amount of reps in presason together to gel some; especially when u know the talent there is avg. to below avg aaannnddd u knowing that your season rests with DW4’s health.

I too believe he can overcommit to the run game at times during games. The difference with me as opposed to some others on here however is that I understand why he does it (super central to his scheme) and I don’t think his overcommitment is any worse than say an Andy Reid or Mike Martz falling in love with the pass game......at times. Al these guys have their preferences that they lean too much to at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back