Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the pressure the defense puts on the oline, I think it's only natural to run screens to the running back. Also, how many times he's going to run the ball out of the 3 tight end set? How many times he's going to declare his runs/passes based on his personel grouping? Again, no mirror plays at all.

You cant run screens effectively with OL that lack athletism like Fulton (Who has issues on the 2nd level.) and Davenport. Plus Kelemete has these issues also just not as bad as Fulton.

They are running 3 TE sets probably to help the OL because the OL cant block 5 on 4 much less 5 on 5. Sad part is they keep Griffin into help the OT's and often he whiffs too. In short the pass pro is a mess and has been all season.

What coach is out there that you think will be interested in the job? What type of mindset do he have to have coming in?
that is an excellent question.
and in all the pages this thread has burned up I don't recall anyone making a workable recommendation. A few of us wanted Shanahan but SF beat us to him.

Someone help me here, but I don't recall other recommendations from the "Fire O'Brien now" gang (of which I'm a member).

To run a RB screen you have to have bockers which usually means OLmen... do we have any that have the feet to get out there?
First, who says screen MUST use O-linemen to work? (and, yes, I saw you said "usually" :D)
I've seen screens using trips to one side (two WRs and one TE or three WRs) where WRs block and the other guy catches the screen. I've seen screens where the TE drifts in front of the WR and maaaybe one of the OL guys pulls to help.
KC and NE (among others) make those work.
Why not us?

First, who says screen MUST use O-linemen to work? (and, yes, I saw you said "usually" :D)
I've seen screens using trips to one side (two WRs and one TE or three WRs) where WRs block and the other guy catches the screen. I've seen screens where the TE drifts in front of the WR and maaaybe one of the OL guys pulls to help.
KC and NE (among others) make those work.
Why not us?

How many have you seen run out of 2 WR sets to the RB with 0 OL in front?

Don't know where this comes from, but the primary discussion this year has been the lack of talent on our OL and whether Deshaun can stay healthy for the whole season. And although he continued to play he has had a severe injury to his lungs. Bob's strategy this season has primarily been to protect his QB and keep him on the field, and this strategy has brought us to 7-3 and a strong possibility of a divisional title. I don't think most fans have a problem with sucess.

The talk before the season was that the OL was finally getting fixed and that we were going to see the amazing offense scoring 30+ we saw last year with Watson healthy.

Now the narrative is O'Brien has done a wonderful job with a terrible OL and scoring 20 points per game. That's quite a re-write.

Truth is the OL is bad because of him, and his "revamped" offense is the Ryan Mallet offense.

I’ve been away from the boards for a while so bear with me.

How can we be so punitive towards O’Brien for our line? We changed philosphies in a major way going from a ZBS scheme to what we have now (not sure what it’s called so input would be appreciated). Whatever it may be... it’s my understanding that ZBS blockers are a different breed of linemen... i.e. smaller, quicker, and play crazy schemes. We had to redo our line to work with what B’ob has in mind... and more so... our extremely mobile Watson.

Help me understand. Thanks!

How can we be so punitive towards O’Brien for our line? We changed philosphies in a major way going from a ZBS scheme to what we have now (not sure what it’s called so input would be appreciated). Whatever it may be... it’s my understanding that ZBS blockers are a different breed of linemen... i.e. smaller, quicker, and play crazy schemes. We had to redo our line to work with what B’ob has in mind... and more so... our extremely mobile Watson.

So in order to change from ZBS to whatever O'Brien wants requires 5 years of the OL sucking and putting QBs at risk?

Also, if you look at the specific free agent decisions, draft picks, and who plays when and where, the decisions from the HC have been very bad.

Nitro, that's the main grief most seem to have with OB. He seems to want to run mostly power scheme, but is so wildly inconsistent that no one is sure. He touted a game-plan offense that would change week to week depending on opponent weaknesses but so far (depending on view) he has just bungled the job or not had the talent due to someone else bungling the job. All we know for sure is that (unlike Kubiak) he has not lost the locker room. Guys are still playing hard despite his mistakes

Kubiak didn't lose the locker room either. Players still played very hard for him as well. Remember the games we lost were very close. Unfortunately Matt Schaub was on a pick 6 mission.

Because it shouldn't take this long. And he needs to stick to one game plan until it works verses changing it up every week.

Lol...so it took Kubiak 5+ years to even get us to the playoffs....but that was cool b/c our offense was good (:rolleyes:) during that 5 year stretch of 6-10 -8-8 seasons. But a guy whom just got his qb & a GM that understands what he's trying to do is expected to have his o-line revamped & intact in just 1 off season...an offseason where they were still hamstrung from the previous GM's fuckery the 2-3 years prior.

You guys are too much.

Lol...so it took Kubiak 5+ years to even get us to the playoffs....but that was cool b/c our offense was good (:rolleyes:) during that 5 year stretch of 6-10 -8-8 seasons. But a guy whom just got his qb & a GM that understands what he's trying to do is expected to have his o-line revamped & intact in just 1 off season...an offseason where they were still hamstrung from the previous GM's fuckery the 2-3 years prior.

You guys are too much.

Main reason Texans are at where they're at now was move Rick Smith made to trade up in 2017 draft for Deshaun Watson. Despite O'Brian, not because of O'Brian.

You guys are too much.

Bwhahaha this is too darn funny O'brien's family member. Forget factoring the fact this was the weakest division in football. When Kubiak took over the mighty Colts with Manning dominated this Division. When your uncle took over, this Division was watered down..

Kubiak didn't lose the locker room either. Players still played very hard for him as well. Remember the games we lost were very close. Unfortunately Matt Schaub was on a pick 6 mission.

Amazing how you guys like to rewrite history around here to suite your incorrect narratives. 2013 we were routinely getting our asses handed to us & it started with that slacking we took in Baltimore when the pick 6 fest started. Kubiak's amazing offense put up a whopping 9 pts in a 30-9 route. We played SEA close but lost late when schaub did what he did; Schaub and AJ on the sideline arguing. The very next game we got spanked in primetime by the 49ers where that amazing offense of Kubiak's again put up a whopping 3 pts and we lost by 20 something...that Rams game when Schaub finally got benched & TJ came in........& threw a pick 6 himself...we got spanked as well 35-10 or something like that. By that game, the team had all but quit on Kubiak b/c they knew Schaub was done & he knew he had to try something else instead of continuing to trot his bum ass out there. The next few games under Case the team only marginally responded...but the offense still looked like **** & we were back to getting that ass killed by the 1st Jax game & we only put up greater than 20 pts once in those remaining 6 games.

The team had quit..especially when Kubiak was on the sidelines having coronaries....

Main reason Texans are at where they're at now was move Rick Smith made to trade up in 2017 draft for Deshaun Watson. Despite O'Brian, not because of O'Brian.

That move was made b/c Rick knew he had to make a move after the Oz fiasco blew up in his face. You can't say "despite" unless you know for a fact BoB wanted someone else...& well, i don't take you for a texans insider & i know you weren't in the war room so........

Reactions: JB
Bwhahaha this is too darn funny O'brien's family member. Forget factoring the fact this was the weakest division in football. When Kubiak took over the mighty Colts with Manning dominated this Division. When your uncle took over, this Division was watered down..

Lol, you're thinking you're funny with the O'brien family member stuff...but you're the only one looking stupid propping up a coach that failed to even snag a wildcard playoff birth in 6 years.......yet supposedly had this great offense. How about you come with an actual credible stance instead of the made up one in your head & maybe you can be taken seriously.

You guys are too much.

The OL was good when OBrien got here. The defense was good. He had DeAndre Hopkins.

Now it's year 5 and he needs more time to fix the OL? WTF?

you didn't watch the second half of the '13 season?

Why do YOU think Kubiak was fired?

Last edited:
Now it's year 5 and he needs more time to fix the OL? WTF?
The argument can be made that the OL doesn't need "fixing". We on this board certainly have the opinion that we need "improvement" on the OL, but we are currently at 7-3 and have good chance of running the table and closing the regular season at 13-3. Can it be argued that a team winning 12 or 13 games is in need of "fixing"?

Dude I don't give a F if you take my opinions serious or not. And how about you practice what you preach. None of your overzealous love affair hot takes are not credible whatsoever.

Bro get out of here...

Knocks on Kubiak led offenses when he was here:

It's so predictable..
it so uncreative...
Can Schaub even audible???........ (lol my personal favorite)
It doesn't show up in primetime -

at least 2 of those we're hearing right now with BoB & his offense. Do you think its predictable and seemingly predictable & uncreative b/c you've watched it for multiple seasons now? Does that at least kinda make some sense to you? I read on other messageboards the exact. same. ****.

Here we are 5 years later however...You and a few others in here swearing up and down that Kubiak's offenses were the 98' Vikings when he was here. Well if it was so damn good, we would've won more, period. That didn't happen though & the truth is his offenses had 2 years where the offensive numbers they were putting up actually mattered. Those other 7 failed years when we were getting our asses kicked regularly were largely garbage time stats that were put together when we were scrambling to try to come back at the end of games & seasons when better teams were trying to get out of games where they throughly beat our ass injury free and were resting starters at the ends of seasons...

The argument can be made that the OL doesn't need "fixing". We on this board certainly have the opinion that we need "improvement" on the OL, but we are currently at 7-3 and have good chance of running the table and closing the regular season at 13-3. Can it be argued that a team winning 12 or 13 games is in need of "fixing"?

Absolutely. right now the team is doing what its doing with figurative smoke and mirrors & the offense is somewhat hamstrung by it. Improving the talent on the o-line and getting a better rb would help to ensure that the liklihood of this team regressing the next year would be minimal. This current iteration of the team i've seen before except they were called the 2008 Carolina Panthers. we have a much better qb, but pretty much a team built much the same way.

FIFY

Why do you think the owner HAD to step in AGAIN?

McNair even stated it was because he had lost the

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ary-kubiak-fired-as-houston-texans-head-coach

McNair made it clear Friday that dropping game after game is "not acceptable" for a team that came into the season with Super Bowl dreams. Instead of waiting around to make the inevitable a reality, the Texans are wasting no time.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/texans/2013/12/06/gary-kubiak-fired-coach-houston/3891633/

Matt Schaub's 10th interception after Kubiak benched starter Case Keenum in a bid to spark his team.

This is what inevitably done it in for Kubiak. Well that was reported way back when JB. I don't recall any reports on the locker room being lost.

How many have you seen run out of 2 WR sets to the RB with 0 OL in front?
I was speaking to the WR screens. The term "RB" was no where in the post to which you responded.
I think that's called moving the goalposts dude.
:)

So in order to change from ZBS to whatever O'Brien wants requires 5 years of the OL sucking and putting QBs at risk?

Also, if you look at the specific free agent decisions, draft picks, and who plays when and where, the decisions from the HC have been very bad.
What QB? Hoyer? Mallet? Fitzpatrick? Osweiler? Savage? Yates? Keenum? Did I miss anyone? Oh yeah... Brandon freakin’ Weeden.

The point being... we definitely had not established ourselves until Watson. We tried with Osweiler but that was a colossal bowl of putrid dank being forced on. Bad decision? Yes and no. Osweiler seems to be working out decent for the Dolphins. The Texans (and O’Brien) were not a good fit for him.

I’m definitely in “sh*t or get off the pot” mode re: O’Brien as our head coach this season but I’m not holding the OL mess completely on him. Transitions take time and sometimes... we have setbacks ala Osweiler.

I was speaking to the WR screens. The term "RB" was no where in the post to which you responded.
I think that's called moving the goalposts dude.
:)

But it was central point of the post you quoted... pay attention dude!

Oh yeah he did. I also remember the day he lost -me-... and I was a Schaub loyalist.

But that is not the reason why he got fired. The man ( RIP) said after the Jaguars game, enough is enough. He fired him because they lost what 7 in a row and Kubiak put Matt back in the game.

Last edited:
But that is not reason why he got fired. The man ( RIP) said after the Jaguars game, enough is enough. He fired him because they lost what 7 in a row and Kubiak put Matt back in the game.

Man, no. He got fired b/c the team went on a vicious losing streak that Kubiak didn’t seem to have a clue of how to pull the team out of. and it didn’t seem to be getting better..only worse....a sign that he’d lost the team.

No where in any of McNair’s comment did he even hint that he fired him for insubordination.

Reactions: JB

You guys are too much.

Why are we so sure we have a GM that knows what O'Brien wants? Is it because he got Honeybadger & Reid? Because RAC moved KJax to safety... short of.

Is it because we have a new ST coach who's getting results?

Or is it because we brought in 3 new Olmen who can't play?

We can't run RB screens because our OL can't get out to block... we can't pick up 3rd & 1 because our OL can't push, but we do it again & again & again.

These excuses are silly.

I remember when people were begging to have the bubble screens removed from the play book because they rarely worked for us... but we kept trying. We run a RB screen once in 9 games. Didn't work, so let's not ever do that again. Let's just run Miller up Martin's backside.

Well, we keep winning when I post here after the game, and I think a couple here need me in this thread, so ... here I am.

My opinion hasn't changed. I would have to see something in the playoffs to even consider it. Today was a very solid outing by O'Brien though. I'm not sure what he ate during Thanksgiving, but keep giving it to him. There's still plenty to clean up of course. Blue on 3rd down for a loss, and unable to return to successful plays once we leave script come to mind. Overall though, I'm content - that was a strong performance in both playcalling and execution.

Edit: Kubiak (I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to post without saying it, and will be assumed anyway)

Last edited:
Sometimes I think plays like that one to Blue is a "get what you can while I try to figure out what I really want to call". I have to give HC credit but how many of you thought at some point in game 'okay now he is going to turtle and slow offense down to protect lead'?

I am not a fan of BOB the OC... but tonight, gotta admit, did a great job.

BTW, for those that argue he goes to turtle mode. He may do that, but you have to admit, he's the best at it. 29-1 having the lead after half, that's extremely impressive.

That's very impressive. But I have to give a ton of credit to that bend but don't brake defense.

I am not a fan of BOB the OC... but tonight, gotta admit, did a great job.

BTW, for those that argue he goes to turtle mode. He may do that, but you have to admit, he's the best at it. 29-1 having the lead after half, that's extremely impressive.

How many lead changes have happened in those 30 games?

Now you know the answer to that one with this group. :)

Sometimes I think plays like that one to Blue is a "get what you can while I try to figure out what I really want to call". I have to give HC credit but how many of you thought at some point in game 'okay now he is going to turtle and slow offense down to protect lead'?

When the Texans were near mid-field with a 17 point lead and went for it on 4th and 1, I just knew that was going to lose the game for us. BOB made the right call I suppose, but it was plenty gutsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back