Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I don't believe he's going to take us where we want to go. He's fine against the lower and mid tier coaches / teams …. but when it comes to beating the good ones , the record speaks for itself.

I believe he's good for one playoff win and then an exit , that's not good enough if the goal is Lombardi Trophy's.

While I tend to agree with you, I want him to

1. Get a chance with his GM.
2. He seems to be improving game mgmt
3. Lets let Gaine get the Talent in place and hopefully BOB can lead the team to a Lombardi.

Watson appears to be healthier and hopefully that allows BOB to be more creative in his use of Watson.

Or it could be that the Tacks suck and the Texans are their Daddy.

Lol I don't believe in the latter because that team manhandled the Patriots. Didn't allow Brady a passing TD. They put up a nice fight against the Chargers and handled the Cowboys pretty easily.

Yes Watson looked really good out there.

Yes. I don't believe he's going to take us where we want to go. He's fine against the lower and mid tier coaches / teams …. but when it comes to beating the good ones , the record speaks for itself.

I believe he's good for one playoff win and then an exit , that's not good enough if the goal is Lombardi Trophy's.

The conflict I see though is O’Brien’s ineptitude vs Watson’s will to win.

& the product will continue to fall off...it’s ok, can’t stay on top forever.

& the product will continue to fall off...it’s ok, can’t stay on top forever.

Ratings have been way up this year, doesn't seem to be falling off any time soon. Most fans are casual fans, almost all casual fans like to see a lot of scoring. I enjoy watching a good defensive battle, as much as I enjoy watching a shoot out both to me have their merits. But high scoring increases viewership in every sport. That's why the NBA rules have shifted away from defense, that's why the MLB teams don't care if you strike out 3/4 times as long as that 4th one is a HR.

Rating the job security of every NFL head coach: Who's on thin ice?

Rating 1: Cold seat

Houston Texans (8-3)

Coach: Bill O'Brien (39-36 over five seasons)

There was talk about O'Brien being on the hot seat after the Texans started 0-3, but even that was unlikely because he signed a four-year extension in January that will keep him in Houston through the 2022 season. Now that the Texans have won eight games in a row and have a two-game lead in the AFC South, O'Brien's job is safe. -- Sarah Barshop

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25393438/rating-job-security-nfl-head-coaches-hot-seat-2018#dal

Texans are too 'traditional' they wouldnt embrace a modern offensive scheme, plus does anyone really think Bill O'Brien is the type of guy who will go easily into the night? He seems like the authoritative 'my way or the highway' guy to me. UNLESS DUN DUN DUUUUNNN ... Cal is starting to make suggestions.

Or BOB has his GM in place.

And Cal let Gaine draft a guy like Reid in the 3rd,

You think Reid would be a Texan if Mr. McNair was running the show?

Or BOB has his GM in place.

And Cal let Gaine draft a guy like Reid in the 3rd,

You think Reid would be a Texan if Mr. McNair was running the show?

It's really all moot because Rick Smith drafted Deshaun Watson and that one signing will have a longer lasting impact and saved more jobs than anything Gaine can do in the near future. I mean Poor O'Brien .. Had all those bad QBs thrust upon him.

You really think Reid is that controversial because of a siblings friendship with CK ?

I think with Eric Reid being one of the leaders of the protest there's no way Mr. McNair signs on with drafting Justin Reid.

Cal/Gaine are in charge now and times are changing. Trading for Thomas was a clear sign for me.

What has he done in the past that makes you think he wouldn't? Is there an example of him refusing to acquire a player due to the actions of their brother?

Trading DB would be a start.

I noticed you answered my question with a question. Great deflection, are you a lawyer?

Notice the difference in how you asked me a question and whether we agree or not I gave you a direct answer?

Trading DB would be a start.

I noticed you answered my question with a question. Great deflection, are you a lawyer?

Notice the difference in how you asked me a question and whether we agree or not I gave you a direct answer?

My apologies for not giving a direct answer, but I think he would have been ok with drafting Reid... simply because I haven't heard of any cases where he did something similar. If you were to say Mcnair blocked a potential signing of Eric Reid, then I can see that being a possibility. But you're claiming he would have blocked the drafting of Justin due to association to his brother, that's what I don't think Mcnair would have done.

Trade DB? What did Duane's brother do?

That's a good one! But is there any evidence that the Texans wanted to draft him but it was blocked by McNair? Or is it just speculation?

That is a very different situation.

I don't KNOW for sure with Derek Carr, but that was a very nasty divorce from the family. And yes much different when it is a relationship that has went poorly versus that has guilt by association.

I don't KNOW for sure with Derek Carr, but that was a very nasty divorce from the family. And yes much different when it is a relationship that has went poorly versus that has guilt by association.
I think that is more it would create an unfavorable situation for both Derek and the team than anything specifically against Derek. David left a pretty ugly shadow behind.

My apologies for not giving a direct answer, but I think he would have been ok with drafting Reid... simply because I haven't heard of any cases where he did something similar. If you were to say Mcnair blocked a potential signing of Eric Reid, then I can see that being a possibility. But you're claiming he would have blocked the drafting of Justin due to association to his brother, that's what I don't think Mcnair would have done.

Trade DB? What did Duane's brother do?

Yep,

McNair didn't put rules in place for the types of player his org drafted.

This is the kind of the love OB gets from the NFL channel on Sirius/XM. OB is on every Tuesday around 3:45 ET.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000994869/article/what-we-learned-from-sundays-week-13-games

1. Following last week's thumping of the Bengals, the Browns (4-7-1) came out flat and sleepy on defense, sporting a two-deep safety look that allowed Lamar Miller (115 total yards off 20 touches) and the Texans (9-3) to pound away with gashing runs and chunk gains through the air to build a 23-0 lead at the half. DeAndre Hopkins won his battles with Cleveland's secondary -- especially after Denzel Ward was lost to a concussion -- while Watson hit his first 11 passes, threw for 224 yards and used his legs to avoid a handful of would-be sacks. Houston out-gained the Browns 262 yards to 89 over the first two quarters and chewed up 21:43 off the clock. Hanging on from there wasn't too much to ask.

2. This was an acid test for the Browns, who learned they have plenty of work to do before we fancy them a playoff threat. Midway through the second frame, Cleveland was down 17-0 after rookie Baker Mayfield saw an errant pass picked off by Zach Cunningham, who went 36 yards to glory. The Offensive Rookie of the Month threw a second interception to Johnathan Joseph four snaps later. We saw Mayfield try to do too much on a deep shot into the end zone that wound up in the arms of Andre Hal for a third turnover on a play where the rookie could have scrambled for sizable yardage. It was encouraging to see Mayfield come out of the break gunning the ball downfield for 351 second-half yards, but the mistakes -- including a 76-yard catch and run by rookie Antonio Callaway, which he ultimately fumbled near Houston's goal line -- were too much to overcome.

3. Houston logged multiple takeaways for the first time since October. When the Texans dominate time of possession, trick the enemy into mistakes and run the ball with power, you see a team that could hang with anyone come January. This was another well-coached effort from Bill O'Brien, who deserves to be mentioned in the Coach of the Year derby. With the Colts (who fell to 6-6 on Sunday) up next, the Texans have a chance to all but seal up the South as one of the AFC's most balanced threats

have to admit some of his horrid mistakes in the first three games had disappeared until he forgot to call time before half. Coach of the year is a bit too much, but he has optimised his talent. He is more conservative than a lot of the top teams, but that elixir is working with this oline. We all know if needed dw4 can be unleashed with the pros and cons it can bring. Fix the pass blocking and wow

Coach of the year? Dang, these guys are on some strong sh1t!

Not really, more like anyone who doesn't think a coach who has his team at 9-3 after starting 0-3, first place in their division with a real shot to get a first round bye despite their being obvious holes in the team, with a 2nd year QB coming off of an ACL tear should be in the conversation for coach of the year is delusional.

I have drank plenty of Bill O'Brien haterade over the years, but if you don't think he's a legit coach of the year candidate, I'd say you're just an un-objective hater. By any objective measure, OB should at the least, be in the conversation for HC of the year. Let it go people. Judge this year as this year only and tell me how he shouldn't be in the conversation. That should be interesting.

I have drank plenty of Bill O'Brien haterade over the years, but if you don't think he's a legit coach of the year candidate, I'd say you're just an un-objective hater. By any objective measure, OB should at the least, be in the conversation for HC of the year. Let it go people. Judge this year as this year only and tell me how he shouldn't be in the conversation. That should be interesting.

Not disagreeing with you, but IMO he has to run the table to get coach of the year. You can directly corollate our losses with boneheaded decisions by him. He still lacks any semblance of time management to end the half or games. BUT if he runs the table after an 0-3 start, he has earned it.

So he has fixed some of the play calling. Great. He needs to fix this next:

Offense Production:
1 touchdown
5 field goals (@35,38,42,48,53)

1st one Miller lost 7 yards on a run, then Watson got sacked for loss of 3 yards, then pass for 8 yards and then it was 4 and 12.

2nd one Miller got 3 yards on 1st, then an incomplete pass, then a pass to Hopkins for 1 yard to bring up 4th and 6.

3rd one was the late timeout call series.

4th one Miller ran and got one yard on the first play, then Watson his J. Thomas for 6 yards, then on 3rd and 3 a incomplete pass to Hopkins.

5th one Blue ran for 1 yard, then incomplete pass to D. Thomas, and then short pass to D. Carter that was fumbled but recovered.

You aren’t going to score TDS all the time, but the offense scoring TDS over FGS can be better.

Coach of year reminds me of talk I heard today about Alabama QB Jalen Hurts in running for Heisman after being removed as starter in last year's championship. He came in last Saturday after starter (all season) T'ua goes out with injury. Hurts brings Alabama from 14 points down IIRC and beats Georgia. IMO should he be Heisman winner? No but I recognize what he did and if he wins (Hurts or OBrien) I'm not complaining but will not ignore rest of season either.

if he goes 12-1 after the 0-3 start that was OF HIS MAKING, I can forgive the man and say he deserves it. I actually dont think he gives a toss. His goal is to make the playoffs with his team peaking and getting better each week, I really believe that and it is hard to now disagree that after the horrendous start they have not done just that. It is yet to be seen whether Billy ball can control the clock and game against the best, but lets see. I doubt we are seen as an easy out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back