Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that if we are still assuming OB1 is the acting GM I don't think he should catch shyt for that.. per se.
Hear me out.
All coaches should be in charge of selecting and pursuing the players they want for whatever reasons they feel said player/s will work for their system (check the college system and lack of having to pay players which relegates the authority of player selection on the coaches).. HOWEVER... the problem, which has been made abundantly clear as of late, is once the coach or coaches choose their desired playmakers then they need to get the fuyk out of the way and let a 'GM' handle the deals to acquire said players.

If the wheeler/dealer GM cannot make said acquisition happen within reason.. then the coach should be told to step back inside his box and find an alternative. I'm not sure how and when or why a GM was saddled with choosing players in the first place. They're business men that hire scouts to tell them what's what hence why coaches and GMs clash all the time.

Anyway...

Obviously we cannot give up proven assets for nothing and give the house for a piece here and there.
I like the 'Win Now' attitude but hire the dealer guy to win in the future as well.

Just sayin'

The people that defend his every move. They know who they are. Happy now?

No because frankly I've not seen anybody defend his every move and you are avoiding the question. I've seen people try and explain some possible reasons but that's not defending. Historians also try and explain why people like Hitler, no I'm not comparing BoB and the Texans to the Nazis its just the only example my pre-coffee brain can come up with, do the things they do but that doesn't mean they are defending it. See you and Kdog and a few others to a lesser extent have started to give the impression that everyone that isn't calling for BoB's head, talking about how much the Texans suck or saying they like something that BoB or the Texans did is an O'Brien defender or "nuthugger".

So again I'll ask who are these people "that defend his every move" you keep going on about.

It’s coming out now that OBrien all along has wanted to be more aggressive. His differences with RS, which RS stated we’re just matters of different opinion, no doubt reflect this. RS worked for Bob McNair and Bob just never wanted quick change. Under Cal now this roster has flipped around in a little over one year. Good teams win with low TO ratios, great ST’s, solid interior O and D lines. Statistically last year we got three of those and are heading in the right direction with the OL this year. Will find out tonight but I see a return to DW’s rookie year O with our new cast of playmakers and a healthy O. The rest takes care of itself. I don’t see Cal sitting on his hands like his dad.

No because frankly I've not seen anybody defend his every move and you are avoiding the question. I've seen people try and explain some possible reasons but that's not defending. Historians also try and explain why people like Hitler, no I'm not comparing BoB and the Texans to the Nazis its just the only example my pre-coffee brain can come up with, do the things they do but that doesn't mean they are defending it. See you and Kdog and a few others to a lesser extent have started to give the impression that everyone that isn't calling for BoB's head, talking about how much the Texans suck or saying they like something that BoB or the Texans did is an O'Brien defender or "nuthugger".

So again I'll ask who are these people "that defend his every move" you keep going on about.

Cmon you know who.

Clearly I don't.
Why does it even matter to anybody? The real issue is Cal. This guy has changed the Texans organizational structure, upgraded the facilities and programs etc. He is not a comfortable person to work for like his dad was. He seems he’ll bent on success NOW or you get “Gained”.

Why does it even matter to anybody? The real issue is Cal. This guy has changed the Texans organizational structure, upgraded the facilities and programs etc. He is not a comfortable person to work for like his dad was. He seems he’ll bent on success NOW or you get “Gained”.

It because I'm tired of people around here user "OB supporter" the way the media uses "racist" it doesn't add anything to the conversation and its used just to try and shut somebody down because you can't argue the facts and points any more.

I would say the majority of us can't frigging stand OB, but I'm sure there are some here who will defend him. And so what? Most of us who hate OB would love to be proven wrong, that we actually do have a HC that knows what he's doing. Until that's the case though, expect the detractors to be making more of the posts.

I would say the majority of us can't frigging stand OB, but I'm sure there are some here who will defend him. And so what? Most of us who hate OB would love to be proven wrong, that we actually do have a HC that knows what he's doing. Until that's the case though, expect the detractors to be making more of the posts.
I agree and it is part of Healthy debate. But a lot of this crap is unhealthy and is posted every few minutes all day long by some that really appear to have their entire reason for being tied up in this forum and stop at nothing to make their “point”. There is an interesting story developing with OB and Cal. Cal will and is driving OB and he obviously has a short fuse. That should make both haters and supporters happy because the focus really does appear to be on winning.

I agree and it is part of Healthy debate. But a lot of this crap is unhealthy and is posted every few minutes all day long by some that really appear to have their entire reason for being tied up in this forum and stop at nothing to make their “point”. There is an interesting story developing with OB and Cal. Cal will and is driving OB and he obviously has a short fuse. That should make both haters and supporters happy because the focus really does appear to be on winning.

Frankly I think Cal is still grieving, say what you want about McNair but the man clearly loved Houston football. You read the history and the fight he had with the NFL to get a team back in Houston and this was clearly a passion project for him. Don't get me wrong it makes them lots of money but they had lots of money long before that and still would have even without the Texans. I really believe Bob McNair wanted to see a championship in Houston and I think now this is Cal's way of honoring his dad. This is why I think Cal is so gung ho about winning this season and yeah I think in many ways he's the driving force behind this.

I also think O'Brien has basically been let known that he is getting everything he ever wanted but he had better deliver now which is why BoB is paying any price to shore up the team. I agree with the Tunsil trade and think it was worth the cost but no question it was a win now move that somebody thinking long term wouldn't have done.

The way I see BOB is that he was saddled with RS incompetence for 5 yrs and in the 2 RS has been gone there has been a positive shift in direction of how they're going about acquiring talent.

You can see the different philosophies, they're as clear as day and Watson will finally be protected properly so he has a chane to develop into the 49ers Steve Young rather than the Bucs Steve Young.

In short, this is BOB's team and vision and everybody should be rooting for him to succeed. But some would rather be right than see the team succeed. For me, I just hope with an improved OL if it's 4th and 1 in Foxboro he goes for it and tries to seal the game like Belichick would've done instead of giving the ball back to Brady so that he can beat you.

The way I see BOB is that he was saddled with RS incompetence for 5 yrs and in the 2 RS has been gone there has been a positive shift in direction of how they're going about acquiring talent.

You can see the different philosophies, they're as clear as day and Watson will finally be protected properly so he has a chane to develop into the 49ers Steve Young rather than the Bucs Steve Young.

In short, this is BOB's team and vision and everybody should be rooting for him to succeed. But some would rather be right than see the team succeed. For me, I just hope with an improved OL if it's 4th and 1 in Foxboro he goes for it and tries to seal the game like Belichick would've done instead of giving the ball back to Brady so that he can beat you.

Do I want OB to take us to the promised land? Yes

Do I think he actually will? No

But I will always watch the games hoping they win no matter who's in charge, even if I don't like "them" (OB).

A. J. Bouye...but he was traded.
How about the 2014 draft? Not a single player on the roster today.
  • Jadeveon Clowney, DE (South Carolina)
  • Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG (UCLA)
  • C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE (Iowa)
  • Louis Nix III, DT (Notre Dame)
  • Tom Savage, QB (Pittsburgh)
  • Jeoffrey Pagan, DE (Alabama)
  • Jay Prosch, FB (Auburn)

Proves poor draft. Doesn't say much about his coaching acumen, good or bad.

We'll have to see how Clowney does in Seattle.

The rest haven't set the world on fire since leaving the Texans.

:coffee:

See I don’t get the “some would rather be right than see the team succeed” part of this. Just because people call out OB for his moronic moves doesn’t mean they want him to fail. They just expect him too. He's done nothing to prove he deserves the respect some here are calling for. I don’t give two maverick215000s what his regular season record is. He hasn’t proven Dejaview against quality teams and especially in the playoffs.

Look the guys a ******** and that’s fine if he’s winning games that count I’ll ignore it. He isn’t so I’m not. NO ONE wants this team to fail. I’ll gladly eat all my bad words about him if he proves me wrong. But I’m not going to stop criticising this D-bag until HE makes me. I fully expect us to start this game tonight looking unprepared and disoriented. And I fully expect some here to immediately crucify OB and certain other to make excuses for him. Going one way or another doesn’t make you a better fan than the people opposite you.

If we come out tonight and look good from get go and win this game then OB is on his way to proving me and others wrong. I’ll gladly take it. Again just don’t expect it.

See I don’t get the “some would rather be right than see the team succeed” part of this. Just because people call out OB for his moronic moves doesn’t mean they want him to fail. They just expect him too. He's done nothing to prove he deserves the respect some here are calling for. I don’t give two maverick215000s what his regular season record is. He hasn’t proven Dejaview against quality teams and especially in the playoffs.

Look the guys a ******** and that’s fine if he’s winning games that count I’ll ignore it. He isn’t so I’m not. NO ONE wants this team to fail. I’ll gladly eat all my bad words about him if he proves me wrong. But I’m not going to stop criticising this D-bag until HE makes me. I fully expect us to start this game tonight looking unprepared and disoriented. And I fully expect some here to immediately crucify OB and certain other to make excuses for him. Going one way or another doesn’t make you a better fan than the people opposite you.

If we come out tonight and look good from get go and win this game then OB is on his way to proving me and others wrong. I’ll gladly take it. Again just don’t expect it.

So you dont think KDog feels the way I'm talking about.

I get what you're saying about losing in the playoffs, but every game they've lost, they've lost to a better team. I think it's going to take about 5-6 games for all of the new players to get acclimated to BOB's system. If you consider that an excuse then I'm OK with that. But I think I'm being realistic.

Things will get better with the improved OL and new direction this yr. I still expect 9-10 wins. What are your expectations?

i really dont see any difference in obrien with rick smith or without rick smith. he's the same.

So you didn't notice the trades/this draft was different than how the Texans org has ever done business in the past and I'm not just talking about the BOB yrs, but also the Kubiak yrs.

Oh look at you trying to be all clever, by the way you spelt my name wrong. Its not the "call OB for his moronic moves" do that all you want, hell we've all been doing that just some don't see the same moves as moronic as you and when that happens you start in with the personal attacks and about how they are just defending OB. You never actually back any of this up except with your own personal opinion nor do you have a counter point except again attacking. You and Kdog both just beat the same damn dead horse in every thread with every post, even stuff that has nothing to do with BoB you bring it back to him.

So you didn't notice the trades/this draft was different than how the Texans org has ever done business in the past and I'm not just talking about the BOB yrs, but also the Kubiak yrs.

It was the same most of the offseason. Signing Kalil, reaching for Tytus and moving him around (poor talent evaluation and development), and then carouseling the OL so players get hurt.

The difference is this time he was allowed to bandaid his mistakes by mortgaging the future.

Last edited:

I'd rather O'Brien get fired before he injures more players and mortgages the future more.

Getting Lamar Miller and Kahale Warring hurt then trading 2 first rounders and Clowney is nuts. And that's just the last month. What's next?

Kahale concussed in practice, Lamar on second play of third pre-season game which is quite normal. So BOB is at fault for practicing his guys and giving him a series in the third pre-season game?? you prove Mavericks post when you pick these items. Just wait for tonight and you will have real items to go after.

Trading Clowney that way was probably nuts. Leaving DW4 unprotected would have been nuts. Trusting Fuller and QT stay healthy, nuts. He is a middling coach. To win the super bowl we need a upgrade

Kahale concussed in practice, Lamar on second play of third pre-season game which is quite normal. So BOB is at fault for practicing his guys and giving him a series in the third pre-season game?? you prove Mavericks post when you pick these items. Just wait for tonight and you will have real items to go after.

Trading Clowney that way was probably nuts. Leaving DW4 unprotected would have been nuts. Trusting Fuller and QT stay healthy, nuts. He is a middling coach. To win the super bowl we need a upgrade

Well he made it clear he was not happy with Warring, who was injured, so he rushed back.

For the Lamar injury, for some reason he used a lineup that he barely every used and Lamar got destroyed by an unblocked first string defender.

It's malpractice.

I agree he should protect Watson, but he hasn't done it. How do you feel about Seantrel Henderson vs. Cameron Jordan tonight? How do you feel about Nick Martin starting at center?

if only I knew what stocks may go up today as I am sitting in cash, PM me please. Do you know Davenport did start for us all last year, he may have sucked, but Lamar had a pro bowl (yuk yuk) year behind him. So I suspect BOB KNEW that would happen, yeah, let's go with that. And Warring concussed himself because he was nursing his hamstring? Basically, the kid was being told, come on back or you will miss this year on IR. I know in football noone is ever rushed back. Come on, these players are chewed up and spat out by teams unless you are a star

if only I knew what stocks may go up today as I am sitting in cash, PM me please. Do you know Davenport did start for us all last year, he may have sucked, but Lamar had a pro bowl (yuk yuk) year behind him. So I suspect BOB KNEW that would happen, yeah, let's go with that. And Warring concussed himself because he was nursing his hamstring? Basically, the kid was being told, come on back or you will miss this year on IR. I know in football noone is ever rushed back. Come on, these players are chewed up and spat out by teams unless you are a star

I never said O'Brien knew these things would happen, just that he's an idiot and consistently puts our players in terrible position.

I'm not cool with just spitting out our 3rd rounder from this year, but I guess he did the same thing to Rankin.

I never said O'Brien knew these things would happen, just that he's an idiot and consistently puts our players in terrible position.

I'm not cool with just spitting out our 3rd rounder from this year, but I guess he did the same thing to Rankin.

Why don't you scroll through this list at all the other idiot coaches and how they put their players in terrible position.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/injuries.htm

Oh and who makes the call on which ones are and which ones aren't?

No one, use your judgment.

Does it make sense to start a terrible OL shuffled around against first stringers? Does it make sense to berate players who are injured for not practicing?

Does it make sense to berate players who are injured for not practicing

Lol, have you been or participated in a football practice before? Hardly call speaking a fact about a guy not being available to play "berating" someone. You're totally reaching.....as usual.

Frankly I think Cal is still grieving, say what you want about McNair but the man clearly loved Houston football. You read the history and the fight he had with the NFL to get a team back in Houston and this was clearly a passion project for him. Don't get me wrong it makes them lots of money but they had lots of money long before that and still would have even without the Texans. I really believe Bob McNair wanted to see a championship in Houston and I think now this is Cal's way of honoring his dad. This is why I think Cal is so gung ho about winning this season and yeah I think in many ways he's the driving force behind this.

I also think O'Brien has basically been let known that he is getting everything he ever wanted but he had better deliver now which is why BoB is paying any price to shore up the team. I agree with the Tunsil trade and think it was worth the cost but no question it was a win now move that somebody thinking long term wouldn't have done.
Yeah, Bob was a good man. It was his business style but he was fond of saying he didn’t like to change things. I frankly knew nothing about Cal. I thought more of the same but I am pleasantly surprised. Actually he’s the one that got me interested in this team again. Only watched a few games last couple of years. Hated when he fired Gaine but now I see why. I’m OK with all the trades mainly because I don’t believe he’s the type to ever settle again with mediocrity.

Yeah, Bob was a good man. It was his business style but he was fond of saying he didn’t like to change things. I frankly knew nothing about Cal. I thought more of the same but I am pleasantly surprised. Actually he’s the one that got me interested in this team again. Only watched a few games last couple of years. Hated when he fired Gaine but now I see why. I’m OK with all the trades mainly because I don’t believe he’s the type to ever settle again with mediocrity.

No one, use your judgment.

Does it make sense to start a terrible OL shuffled around against first stringers? Does it make sense to berate players who are injured for not practicing?

Does it make sense to shuffle guys around to see what works best in a game that literally doesn't matter if you win or lose and is mostly a glorified practice? Yes it does. Miller getting hurt was an accident that could have happened to any player on any team at any time. Hell if you are so keen to pass out blame then why not blame the guy that hit him or Miller for not dodging him or the line for letting the guy pass them. Hell let's just blame any coach on any team that ever called a play a guy got hurt on.

As far as Warring goes, next time you are in the Texans locker room listening to what is said to guys can you get me a few autographs? I mean if you know he was berating him then clearly you were there.

Does it make sense to shuffle guys around to see what works best in a game that literally doesn't matter if you win or lose and is mostly a glorified practice? Yes it does. Miller getting hurt was an accident that could have happened to any player on any team at any time. Hell if you are so keen to pass out blame then why not blame the guy that hit him or Miller for not dodging him or the line for letting the guy pass them. Hell let's just blame any coach on any team that ever called a play a guy got hurt on.

As far as Warring goes, next time you are in the Texans locker room listening to what is said to guys can you get me a few autographs? I mean if you know he was berating him then clearly you were there.

If you wanted to shuffle stupid lineups maybe don't play starters at skill positions and put them in danger.

Kahale Warring, TE, Texans: Warring hasn’t been on the field for much of training camp, which has irked O’Brien, who said "it was a miracle in and of itself" that Warring was able to get on the field after a practice. There’s a lot of competition at tight end, and while Warring has been injured, Darren Fells has made a case to make the 53-man roster along with Jordan Thomas and Jordan Akins. — Barshop

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...ie-updates-how-all-254-draft-picks-looked-far

If you wanted to shuffle stupid lineups maybe don't play starters at skill positions and put them in danger.

Kahale Warring, TE, Texans: Warring hasn’t been on the field for much of training camp, which has irked O’Brien, who said "it was a miracle in and of itself" that Warring was able to get on the field after a practice. There’s a lot of competition at tight end, and while Warring has been injured, Darren Fells has made a case to make the 53-man roster along with Jordan Thomas and Jordan Akins. — Barshop

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...ie-updates-how-all-254-draft-picks-looked-far

giphy.gif

So last year people didn't like it because he didn't play starters for fear of them getting hurt and people said that you have to risk it so the starters get some play time and are ready to go opening day. This time he plays starters, one of them gets hurt and people are griping that he played starters. Well hell why not just forfeit the game and not do anything.

Also that article is blocked so I can't read it for myself but assuming you posted the whole section that quote is missing a lot of context. What question was actually asked him, the lower case letters means it was just part of the sentence so what came before and after, so evidence does this author use to prove that he was irked? Also doesn't really make sense in that "a miracle he could get on the field after a practice" huh, why was he trying to get on the field after a practice? Also how the hell do you get "berated" out of any of that?

If you played organized football, berated is not your coach saying it was a miracle you were on the field. I won't use the words in the forum I had whupped on me and I was in practice/games! Never beyond college for me,but well beyond YMCA ball. I think in general the Texans keep their laundry in house. I do think rookies get the treatment though here. You see they bug BOB and get under his skin. QT last year was also bugging him. He wants these guys to be pros from day 1 which is a bit unrealistic, but this is tough love, not berating or YMCA trophies

The issue isn't how mean he was, it's criticizing a guy for being injured.

This organization's record getting guys back health and keeping them healthy sucks. Doc documented a lot of that

If you played organized football, berated is not your coach saying it was a miracle you were on the field. I won't use the words in the forum I had whupped on me and I was in practice/games! Never beyond college for me,but well beyond YMCA ball. I think in general the Texans keep their laundry in house. I do think rookies get the treatment though here. You see they bug BOB and get under his skin. QT last year was also bugging him. He wants these guys to be pros from day 1 which is a bit unrealistic, but this is tough love, not berating or YMCA trophies

Most of these guys aren't picked up off the street. There is an intense selection & on-boarding process all these guys go thru. Interviews, rookie symposiums, testing, poking & proding....& this is before they even hit rookie mini camp. + a base salary of 90k just to be on a practice squad is a helluva starting salary for someone fresh out of college. This is what most of them say they want to do..For that reason, I don't blame ANY coach for giving these guys the business out the gate....Its what it takes to get these guys to make the transition in their brains to understanding that playing football is now your job....& jobs depend on how dedicated these guys are to their craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back