Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude....

You don't know that they weren't trying to move up......
You don't know if the Ravens requested our 3rd or that we didn't offer them a 3rd to move up.........
You don't know how Dillard's going to turn out..
You don't know anything really.

Why don't you try to make your case without hindsight & with actual proof huh?

You're sitting up here bascially saying that b/c the Texans didn't get Dillard, their strategy of letting him continue to fall to them.......which was playing right into their hands to within 1 pick, was them being idiots.

Nevermind that that's the same strategy Philly employed to within 3 picks...Or else they would've jumped up sooner to get him
Nevermind that we need a day 1 starter & Philly will be sitting Dillard this year....Which acknowledges, that he may not be this polished product & budding all-pro.

It should also be noted that all this happened with a GM.

If they were trying to trade up they failed

They needed OL but needed to trade up more to get him, Kelly/Colts 3 spots then not taken Martin in 2nd. because pick used to move up four spots ahead of Indy. Don’t forget about Braxton Miller taken in 3rd rd. either, lol.

I’m not going revisionist. Problem with Texans drafts, front office, coaching and in general “the war room” is they lacked cohesion and a game plan. Similar to what we see with Bill O’Brian game day. Problem is these decisions linger on for years in the organization. Has everyone forget the pain of Kubiak last season, his firing and replacement of Wade Phillips then after all that inability to trade out of that hard earned, first overall pick, four years later trading that away for journeyman, special teams players.

And got castigated for it
Difference there was there were 3 WR there and the Texans were going to have their choice from 2 of the 3 no matter what. In hindsight, Fuller has the better numbers so far, even with the time he's missed, but him missing time is a big issue. He's played in the fewest games of the 3.

If the Texans were that adamant about moving up and getting the WR they wanted, why not be that way about a much more important position, LT?

Reactions: JB
Difference there was there were 3 WR there and the Texans were going to have their choice from 2 of the 3 no matter what. In hindsight, Fuller has the better numbers so far, even with the time he's missed, but him missing time is a big issue. He's played in the fewest games of the 3.

If the Texans were that adamant about moving up and getting the WR they wanted, why not be that way about a much more important position, LT?

Agreed, but the conversation was that the Texans traded up 1 spot to take WFV, which I replied they were castigated for which is true. At the time many were looking/hoping for Doctson or Treadwell or even William Jackson

Well first different GMs and hell different owner. Second why is everyone on this board so insistent the Texans lost out on Dillard or that they even wanted him? There has never been anything that has said they wanted him. Its just a talking point that started on this board and has now been taken been accepted as fact by some.

Well first different GMs and hell different owner. Second why is everyone on this board so insistent the Texans lost out on Dillard or that they even wanted him? There has never been anything that has said they wanted him. Its just a talking point that started on this board and has now been taken been accepted as fact by some.

If they wanted him then they're incompetent.

If they didn't want him then they're stupid

Just pointing out the differences in the 2 situations. None of us are in the Texans war room so none of us knows jack.

As much as you bust the McNair’s balls I can now see how OB has gotten all the power he has from them. You’re buying into OB just like they do.

After reflection I'd rather over invest in a line than not have one. I believe Watson can be special might, I want him protected.

The Clowney trade was just dumb.

I just don't trust in O'brien's ability to not screw this up.

After reflection I'd rather over invest in a line than not have one. I believe Watson can be special might I want him protected.

The Clowney trade was just dumb.

I just don't trust in O'brien's ability to not screw this up.

My concern is still Watson’s health. It’s not in his DNA not to extend plays and in so doing reaching deep for extra yards which increases percentages he could get hurt. What’s the back-up plan with McCarron? Depends if and when but that’s what first round draft picks afford you, the ability to reload and overcome set-backs (not even touching building roster talent/depth).

Last edited:
My concern is still Watson’s health. It’s not in his DNA not to extend plays and in so doing reaching deep for extra yards and gets hurt. What’s the back-up plan with McCarron? Depends if and when but that’s what first round draft picks afford you, the ability to reload and overcome set-backs (not even touching building roster talent/depth).

And the OL still sucks with Tunsil anyway

Honestly I really think the Luck retirement scared them and it damn well should have. People on here can whine and moan "oh we lost all these picks we're doomed" but I'll tell you now those lost picks are nothing compared to what finding another franchise QB would cost us. Colts went from being SB favorites to people saying they will be lucky to compete for the division with one announcement. Forget being Browns 2.0 I'd be more scared of being Colts 2.0. All the pieces in place and ready to make your run when your QB retires because he is literally scared that he won't be able to have a life post football.

If it helps don't think of the picks we spent as just the cost of getting a LT, think of them as the cost of getting a LT AND keeping your QB on the field lighting up the highlight reels.

Honestly I really think the Luck retirement scared them and it damn well should have. People on here can whine and moan "oh we lost all these picks we're doomed" but I'll tell you now those lost picks are nothing compared to what finding another franchise QB would cost us. Colts went from being SB favorites to people saying they will be lucky to compete for the division with one announcement. Forget being Browns 2.0 I'd be more scared of being Colts 2.0. All the pieces in place and ready to make your run when your QB retires because he is literally scared that he won't be able to have a life post football.

If it helps don't think of the picks we spent as just the cost of getting a LT, think of them as the cost of getting a LT AND keeping your QB on the field lighting up the highlight reels.

If you're saying our coach and GM can't build an LT without blowing our future draft load then the solution is a new coach and gm.

If you're saying our coach and GM can't build an LT without blowing our future draft load then the solution is a new coach and gm.

And you may very well be right. I've said all along this is the make or break year in my book. If BoB can't do it with this team and with this much control then he can't do it and I'll be looking forward to see who his replacement is. See for ME this is win-win, if Texans win then there is a lot to talk about and I kill more time at work. If the Texans lose and BoB is fired then there is a lot to talk about and I kill more time at work. Are you seeing a pattern here. :bubble:

And you may very well be right. I've said all along this is the make or break year in my book. If BoB can't do it with this team and with this much control then he can't do it and I'll be looking forward to see who his replacement is. See for ME this is win-win, if Texans win then there is a lot to talk about and I kill more time at work. If the Texans lose and BoB is fired then there is a lot to talk about and I kill more time at work. Are you seeing a pattern here. :bubble:

I'm all on board with that my issue is the next coach won't have two first round picks. The next guy is gonna have this year of 1 of a 3 year rebuild crap starting in 2022.

yeah, not knowing if he or any of the other 1st rounders was going to amount to anything worth a lick for 2-3 years. With Tunsil, we already know we got a stud at 1 of the most difficult positions to find them at period.

So just trade all the picks away. Great strategy. OBrien is ushering a new era of moneyball where he values picks at zero and gets guys who will need massive new extensions.

So just trade all the picks away. Great strategy. OBrien is ushering a new era of moneyball where he values picks at zero and gets guys who will need massive new extensions.

Lol, stop being so dramatic dude.

You act like all the good to great players in the NFL are only 1st or 2nd rounders. You're also acting like we don't have any picks at all for the next 2 years. Neither is anywhere close to reality. Fact is, rounds 3-4 is where you round out your teams....& we have a gang of those over the next couple of years.

I'm all on board with that my issue is the next coach won't have two first round picks. The next guy is gonna have this year of 1 of a 3 year rebuild crap starting in 2022.

Not really, one thing Gaine did show in his limited time is that you can make some solid additions to the team as long as you don't need franchise guys. The next guy shouldn't need franchise guys because he is going to have a franchise QB, a franchise WR, a strong WR group backing up that franchise WR, a decent to good RB group, an Oline with a great LT and some promising rookies, and solid defense team including one of the all time greats. Are there still needs on the team, of course no team anywhere doesn't have needs but the next guy will be coming into a far better situation than say Miami where you may have the picks but for all you know all those picks could be busts. We really only have the risk of two busts on our team.

Also I never bought into the "year X of Y rebuild" stuff, you are either in rebuild mode or you aren't. If you are then sell the farm and do the rebuild right and if you're not then get out of the 7-9, 9-7, 8-8 circle and go for it. I don't agree with everything Bob has done, can't for the life of me wrap my head around the Clowney deal, but I'll give the devil his due he is trying to get out of the middle of the pack circle.

Reactions: JB
Not really, one thing Gaine did show in his limited time is that you can make some solid additions to the team as long as you don't need franchise guys. The next guy shouldn't need franchise guys because he is going to have a franchise QB, a franchise WR, a strong WR group backing up that franchise WR, a decent to good RB group, an Oline with a great LT and some promising rookies, and solid defense team including one of the all time greats. Are there still needs on the team, of course no team anywhere doesn't have needs but the next guy will be coming into a far better situation than say Miami where you may have the picks but for all you know all those picks could be busts. We really only have the risk of two busts on our team.

Also I never bought into the "year X of Y rebuild" stuff, you are either in rebuild mode or you aren't. If you are then sell the farm and do the rebuild right and if you're not then get out of the 7-9, 9-7, 8-8 circle and go for it. I don't agree with everything Bob has done, can't for the life of me wrap my head around the Clowney deal, but I'll give the devil his due he is trying to get out of the middle of the pack circle.

Well Gaine is gone

Lol, stop being so dramatic dude.

You act like all the good to great players in the NFL are only 1st or 2nd rounders. You're also acting like we don't have any picks at all for the next 2 years. Neither is anywhere close to reality. Fact is, rounds 3-4 is where you round out your teams....& we have a gang of those over the next couple of years.

Maybe we should trade our first and second rounders for third and fourth rounders then

Because obrien and the chaplain are experienced GMs?

Wait what? What in the blue hell are you talking about? You were talking about how the next guy wouldn't have what he needs to build the team. This conversation was, in my mind at least, working under the hypothetical case of BoB being gone and someone else being hired. If this doesn't work out and BoB is still here then he made his bed so he'd have to lie in it.

Why are you trying to drag this back to being about BoB and Easterby? Can you really not go more than a few posts without having to post about them again?

Wait what? What in the blue hell are you talking about? You were talking about how the next guy wouldn't have what he needs to build the team. This conversation was, in my mind at least, working under the hypothetical case of BoB being gone and someone else being hired. If this doesn't work out and BoB is still here then he made his bed so he'd have to lie in it.

Why are you trying to drag this back to being about BoB and Easterby? Can you really not go more than a few posts without having to post about them again?

Even if the next GM can find good players in low round imagine the players he can find in high rounds

Even if the next GM can find good players in low round imagine the players he can find in high rounds

Yeah and imagine if McNair could have gotten the funds needed to start the team in 99 and hired BB and drafted Brady. Imagine if they had realized the David Carr experiment was over and drafted Rogers or big Ben. Imagine if we had gotten added to the NFC instead of the AFC and didn't have to get hammered by the Pats seemly every year. I can imagine a lot of things that don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back