Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game thread and the posts here since the game are the reason I need to stay away from this place. Everything on the main board is like a political forum now and the behaviors towards others who don't agree with you are NSZ level.
Don't let it get to you. Mostly everything on here are opinions but I understand the insults are not cool unless they are directed to BOOB lol.

If something were to happen to DW, injury or retirement, does Bob have Texans in a good position to make playoff run?

And as witnessed during preseason things can change in a moments notice but somehow you have to be prepared. IMO this team, next man up, is not.

I like McCarron, but until the OL improves talentwise you can expect more of the same old same old.

They haven't play Kalil because if he gets hurt they are on the hook for his contract. They can cut him during final cuts and off the hook. Maybe they are trying to use him as trade bait, but I doubt anyone will bite.

If he gets hurt they put him on IR & pay him accordingly. The $7.5M is only if he's on the active roster the entire season.

If he gets hurt they put him on IR & pay him accordingly. The $7.5M is only if he's on the active roster the entire season.
What gets me is a guy like Andrew Luck retires when he still has it. I understand and respect his decision but you have a guy like Kalil that hasn't had it for a few years now and can't say "I think its time for me to hang it up".

If something were to happen to DW, injury or retirement, does Bob have Texans in a good position to make playoff run?

And as witnessed during preseason things can change in a moments notice but somehow you have to be prepared. IMO this team, next man up, is not.
Doesn’t cap space and draft choices=preparing for the long haul? I believe it does. Instant gratification puts you on an island with a hurricane on the radar. Let’s see how the Colts respond. They had 22 draft picks the last two drafts. It’s next man up but they have depth to pull from.

Doesn’t cap space and draft choices=preparing for the long haul? I believe it does. Instant gratification puts you on an island with a hurricane on the radar. Let’s see how the Colts respond. They had 22 draft picks the last two drafts. It’s next man up but they have depth to pull from.

Colts have a back-up plan. Shouldn’t need to spell it out for you but it’s Jacoby Brissett whom they traded for from the Patriots system.

In November 2017, ESPN's Louis Riddick—a former NFL front office executive—tweeted, "The more I watch Jacoby Brissett, the more I think the #Colts are lucky as &$@! the #Patriots traded him to them. He will be a star."

What gets me is a guy like Andrew Luck retires when he still has it. I understand and respect his decision but you have a guy like Kalil that hasn't had it for a few years now and can't say "I think its time for me to hang it up".

Luck has made a ton more money than Kalil - easier for him to walk away financially. Hard to come from making a million + a year to an 8-6 (9-5 is dead man) job.

Colts have a back-up plan. Shouldn’t need to spell it out for you but it’s Jacoby Brissett whom they traded for from the Patriots system.

In November 2017, ESPN's Louis Riddick—a former NFL front office executive—tweeted, "The more I watch Jacoby Brissett, the more I think the #Colts are lucky as &$@! the #Patriots traded him to them. He will be a star."
You mean the same Brissett that lost 12 games the last time he was a starter in '17?

Louis Riddick was high on Kevin Johnson too..Thought he was the best cb in that draft.......take that for what its worth.

Think his first start was against the Texans when he was still with the Patriots, 27-0. In 2017 you mentioned Brissett lost 12 games, well two he didn’t lose were to Texans 23-13/20-14. He’s 3-0 as starter vs Houston Texans. He only started 4 games in 2018, none against the Texans but did lead the Colts to wins 3 out of 4 games.

Last edited:
He's probably on something similar to a pitch count. They now have some numbers to work with to calculate how many times he can sprint down the field before a bone breaks.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/27/bill-obrien-weve-got-a-good-rb-situation/

Bill O’Brien: We’ve got a good RB situation

"The Texans lost starting running back Lamar Millerfor the season to a torn ACL last weekend, so they are early in the process of figuring out how their backfield will wind up looking when they are in New Orleans on the first Monday night of the regular season.

On Monday, head coach Bill O’Brien said that he thinks the team is in a “good situation” at the position despite Miller’s loss and cited the trade for Duke Johnson as a leading reason for that opinion. The Browns made heavy use of Johnson as a receiver the last four years, but O’Brien said he’s confident that Johnson can take on a bigger role.

“I wouldn’t call him a third-down back,” O’Brien said, via the Houston Chronicle. “I know that he is a substituted back, so in the past he’s played a lot against sub defenses, but you can see sub defenses on first, second or third downs. I think with us he’ll be used in a lot of different ways, and he’s had a lot of snaps. He’s been out there playing a lot. . . . I don’t think it’ll be him exclusively. We’ve got a lot of other guys at that position that we can mix and match with.”

Buddy Howell, Taiwan Jones, Cullen Gillaspia, Karan Higdon and Damarea Crockett are the other backs on hand, but O’Brien said “anything can happen” in terms of tweaking that group to ensure he continues to feel good about life without Miller in the backfield."

this guy is something else. oh yeah oh yeah sorry "he cant show his hand cuz he's a GM too!!" LOLLLL

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1166444072153812993?s=20

Bill O'Brien at #Texans Kickoff Luncheon:"I love the #Astros.I love the #Rockets-They're awesome but we all know what it's about n Houston-It's about the football team. It's about the Texans..Astros r a great baseball team.Rockets r a great basketball team.We need to do our part"

This guy really has the nerve to diminish the two CHAMPIONSHIP organizations in town!!!! LMAOOOO

tenor.gif

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1166444072153812993?s=20

This guy really has the nerve to diminish the two CHAMPIONSHIP organizations in town!!!! LMAOOOO

tenor.gif

At 35 seconds he starts talking about the passionate fan base:

“When I say that I mean it” except I can’t say it without reading it off my notes.

I wish I knew how to clip videos. Because the 3 seconds he says “It’s about football. It’s about the Houston Texans.”

I would send it to him and let him know that’s his job.

This guy has built nothing. The offensive line is crap. Get rid of this guy. I don't think he comes back next year.

I'm on my cell phone, and I don't know how to quote Mr Tex regarding the matter of O'Brien vs Keenum from the Dallas preseason game thread.

OptimisticTexan brought up how O'Brien regarded Keenum as no more than a third string QB.

Mr Tex, to his credit, countered with "backup/third string", which was at least a better evaluation then OB.

I then talked "football" about how OB's decisions were poor, bringing in Fitz, Mallett, Savage, and then Hoyer...

Keenum was on his second year of a rookie QB contract.

OB was "fresh off the boat" as an NFL QB.
Not only that, he were spending time in the college ranks the two years prior.

Can you imagine a thousand things a HC needs to prepare in that situation?

I disagree strongly the second time Keenum was around, winning two meaningless games (with O'Brien only asking him to manage the game, and understandbly so.)

So, who will be the stop-gap starter and the backup in 2015?
Obviously not Keenum for some reasons.
One is that O'Brien still think he can develop Savage (which turned out not to be the "case").
And he brought in Hoyer, also asking him to manage the game.

In this instance, I think OB let his ego get the best of him.

At least, there was no doubt in my mind that OB wants a taller QB.

But come on, even so, it was still a poor choice of utilizing resources.

How did O'Brien hope to use yet another stop gap measure in Hoyer?

Obviously, he never thought Fitz nor Hoyer to be "good enough" as a stop gap measure, but still holding out hope on Savage.

So O'Brien gave Savage a lot of time "to develop", and what was the end result?

I'm just an amateur scout, so I always know my limit. During a particular college football season, I only concentrate on one or two positions.

I have had access to TenYard Torrents for a long time now, so I got a lot of games.
But I also knew to learn about the defenses that, let's say, a QB had to face during his college career.

I gave ZERO weight against inferior opponents.

A conclusion I drew, and had stated early, around draft time, is that between Andrew Luck, RG III, and Wilson, I'm not so sure which one will end up having the best career.

If I had to, I would still draft Luck.
But I really thought that Wilson would be a better value (because "people" will draft Luck and RG III before they draft Wilson).

I had stated the reasons:
Wilson had played well in the WCO at NC State, and when he moved to the Pro system at Wisconsin, he adapted right away.
He played very well under pressure.
He looked to pass (same with Mahomes in the Air Raid system).

I "prefer" a "general" as a QB, one that can utilizes the other ten men on the field.
One that doesn't mind when an offensive lineman missed a block.
We all learn together to use our collective strength.

To me, it's a team game.

And also, for that reason, I love to have a HC that understand the strength and weakness of his players, and come up with a plan.

I once read a book by a great Texas HS coach (I can't remember his name for the life of me now), but he really opened my eyes.

He prepared his team against the superior team and the lesser team in different ways. He knew how to build confidence in the players agaisnt the "superior" team(s).
And he had methods to guard against let-down against "inferior" teams.

Now, that is a leader of men.

And it wasn't just talk and motivation.

He understood that the "superior" opponent may have a let down here and there.
He looked for the weakness, not just phisically, but also mentally, and design/call a certain play that can maximize those things.

It's called "to understand your enemies and look for ways to turn their strenght into weakeness".

It's an old adage, but that's what a HC gets paid for.

Bill O'Brien at #Texans Kickoff Luncheon:"I love the #Astros.I love the #Rockets-They're awesome but we all know what it's about n Houston-It's about the football team.{LAUGHTER FROM THE CROWD} It's about the Texans..Astros r a great baseball team.Rockets r a great basketball team.We need to do our part"

But Mr Tex, back with your latest comments, shouldn't O'Brien be accountable for the 4-12 season?

He should...he is the HC so ultimately he is responsible for everything... positive and negative.

One is that O'Brien still think he can develop Savage (which turned out not to be the "case").
So O'Brien gave Savage a lot of time "to develop", and what was the end result?

There's a difference between being unable to develop a player and said player just not being good enough to play on this level. Fans like to use these terms interchangeably postulating that b/c a guy didn't work out, Its on the coach No, not necessarily. Sometimes guys just don't work out b/c they can't play & its noone's fault really. Its like faulting every NFL team for passing on TB12....6 times each. You can't really know how a guy will rise or sink until you commit to trying to see if it can work. & like i said, BoB isn't the only coach to have moved on from Keenum. Several have.

I "prefer" a "general" as a QB, one that can utilizes the other ten men on the field.
One that doesn't mind when an offensive lineman missed a block.
We all learn together to use our collective strength.

To me, it's a team game.

And also, for that reason, I love to have a HC that understand the strength and weakness of his players, and come up with a plan.

It's an old adage, but that's what a HC gets paid for.

A HC gets paid to do many things & not all players are motivated the same. I was told by people here that BoB disliked AJ & was purposely trying to run him off....Well, do you hire people to your staff you dislike?

You're right though man. Its a team game. That's what i firmly believe & If you look at most of the moves BoB has made in his time here, they've been made with the team/franchise in mind. And on the NFL level...or really any level of football except little league, you can't look at the strengths and weaknesses of individual players, you have to look at the team as a whole's strengths and weaknesses. Playing Howard at guard instead of throwing him to the wolves at LT when you know he's probably not ready?.......team move. Bringing in a veteran qb who knows the system better than a guy that's been in a deer blind..........team move.

The problem around here is once the naysayers get it in their heads about what is & what isn't, they can't separate their personal dislike. I can. Today with them i'm a "BoB defender". Before him I was considered a "koolaid drinker" because i wasn't on board the Kubiak pink soap brigade. That's why when BoB eventually gets fired b/c make no mistake about it, coaches are hired to be fired, It won't bother me 1 iota like some of the pink soapers believe. While everyone will be basking in the glory of what they believe is a new era until they get pissed with that HC, I'll just be quietly, objectively measuring the moves against what the team needs.

It'll just start all over
I know...that’s why I wrote “...for awhile.” There would be a segment of fans that unless it’s “their guy” they’d be tearing down the new HC the moment he was announced.

That said, I do think it’s time for a change. These growing pains should have been gone long ago.

I know...that’s why I wrote “...for awhile.” There would be a segment of fans that unless it’s “their guy” they’d be tearing down the new HC the moment he was announced.

That said, I do think it’s time for a change. These growing pains should have been gone long ago.

Agreed, and even those that get their guy will turn on him eventually... look at Kubiak and OB

Bill O'Brien at #Texans Kickoff Luncheon:"I love the #Astros.I love the #Rockets-They're awesome but we all know what it's about n Houston-It's about the football team.{LAUGHTER FROM THE CROWD} It's about the Texans..Astros r a great baseball team.Rockets r a great basketball team.We need to do our part"
LOL, O’Brien thought many of us care about the Texans under his reign.
How ludicrous.

By trying to understand you and your wording?
Who’s the Nazi.?

I try to take it to the proper thread so you can show up for this?

Please let me respect you for your own words,

What is it that you’re responding to?
The subject at hand, or a personal attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back