Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of doing the same things that everyone knows your're going to do, why not try something different? You will still have your same old tired plays in your back pocket, try something new and revolutionary - be a guy who others copy.

Generally agree. The one exception is you just saw more boots than you will probably see all season.

Generally agree. The one exception is you just saw more boots than you will probably see all season.
LOL no ****. After crying for Gary so much I think somebody on Kirby might read this board. First play of the game was eerily reminiscent of Snake Dick coming against the grain for a huge gain in Koobs WCO.

Im sad that you are right and we wont see it much with WAtson.

Tweet from @riversmccown: Two reasons I think B'OB screens go wrong are that 1) they're too slow-developing and 2) they're huge asks of his linemen.

Look at how long they have to hold a fake on this play, then they've got to explode up and reach defenders? I'd probably stop running RB screens too. https://t.co/qlZhT2VSm1

Tweet from @riversmccown: Two reasons I think B'OB screens go wrong are that 1) they're too slow-developing and 2) they're huge asks of his linemen.

Look at how long they have to hold a fake on this play, then they've got to explode up and reach defenders? I'd probably stop running RB screens too. https://t.co/qlZhT2VSm1

SMH. Wanna see beautiful screen plays look up old Moon era Oilers film. OBrien even has his linemen assignment committed on those ridiculous bubble screens! This man wants his 300 lb linemen to sprint 25 yards to initiate the blocking wall. Crazy.

Listening to O'Brien after the game and today's practice, I'm convinced he is completely oblivious to how bad this offense is. He has no clue.

Listening to O'Brien after the game and today's practice, I'm convinced he is completely oblivious to how bad this offense is. He has no clue.

And yet if (and it's a gigantic IF) everyone is healthy, it's been called 'explosive'.

Often off Watson ad libs.

The flipside of Watson "causing" 40% (whatever) of sacks is he is doing so to often buy as much time as regular QBs have.
I'm beginning to be convinced that 'ad libs' ARE O'Brien's system.
Seems like the only way Joe Webb could keep a drive alive was by scrambling/ad-libbing.

Drove Landry insane.

Landry made his mistakes but he was so good in many areas of coaching.

OB doesn’t have to be the best play caller but he needs to be great at something...personnel, game planning, hiring people around him...

Not going to mention leading/getting your team to play hard for you. That should be a pre req...if you can’t do that then everything else is moot.

But I don’t know what OB is ‘good’ at, let alone great at.

Good motivator? The team usually looks terrible early on every season. Then he somehow gets them to turn it around by mid season and start looking competent. He does something. What it is, who knows?

But come playoffs time we reverts back to way we looked in the first 3 weeks.

That has always been hard for me to judge. Still not sure about 2013. If anything it seemed like the D quit more on Wade.

I agree,but it was still a team fail... and other than AJ and perhaps Daniels I'm not sure of anyone on offense that played hard thru week 16

I agree,but it was still a team fail... and other than AJ and perhaps Daniels I'm not sure of anyone on offense that played hard thru week 16

Definitely team fail, but odd one and I don't know about quit. Never seen yd to pt disparities as big, 11th to 31st on O & 7th to 24th on D. Foster & Tate had a dual headed 4.4 ypc. Both sides pretty much did their jobs except for those critical 3-4 plays per game. Teams that have quit show up for 3-4 plays, not get beat on 3-4 plays. JMO.

Or they quit trying everytime schaub put them in a 14-0 hole

Gonna take that as hyperbole.

Definitely team fail, but odd one and I don't know about quit. Never seen yd to pt disparities as big, 11th to 31st on O & 7th to 24th on D. Foster & Tate had a dual headed 4.4 ypc. Both sides pretty much did their jobs except for those critical 3-4 plays per game. Teams that have quit show up for 3-4 plays, not get beat on 3-4 plays. JMO.

Gonna take that as hyperbole.

3-5 plays always seemed to be late and mostly on D... with O on a few pick 6's thrown in

3-5 plays always seemed to be late and mostly on D... with O on a few pick 6's thrown in

Which means they played late into games.

Schaub threw almost double his normal INT rate. Doc had predicted his inability to extend his foot. But that's not having quit.

Anyway, when I think of quit it's of teams walking in looking defeated, no effort from the get. I didn't see that.

The team could only stomach so many pick-6's in one season before the floor gave in. Going into 2013 I had high hopes for players like Wood and Jefferson, such a shame that they didn't pan out.

Holy grows in legend, Schaub had 4 pick 6's and 1 came in a win, 1 in a blowout loss.

True but also a lot of ints that probably put the defense in bad field position.

I'd like to see what they're defensive starting field position was after offensive drives. They were 16th after kickoffs and 20th overall, so it probably wasn't very good

Colts 27-24
Cardinals 27-24
Raiders 28-23
Seahawks 23-20 OT
Chiefs 17-16
Jaguars 6-13
Patriots 34-31
Jaguars 27-20
Titans 16-10

5 were blowouts

Broncos 37-14
Colts 25-3
Rams 38-13
49ers 34-3
Ravens 30-9

I wouldn't consider that as quitting
If that’s considered quitting, then what was it considered in 2015 before Bob McNair reportedly went up to Rick Smith and Butt Chin, behind closed doors, and told them he didn’t care how but they better fix things?

I remember watching those embarrassing losses (mainly against Atlanta and Miami) where the team actually looked like they had quit. The 2013 team, while they actually lost 14 (mostly close and exciting) games, still didn’t give me this feeling of hopelessness I got with Bob for 5 years straight, until Watson came to save his ass.

If that’s considered quitting, then what was it considered in 2015 before Bob McNair reportedly went up to Rick Smith and Butt Chin, behind closed doors, and told them he didn’t care how but they better fix things?

I remember watching those embarrassing losses (mainly against Atlanta and Miami) where the team actually looked like they had quit. The 2013 team, while they actually lost 14 (mostly close and exciting) games, still didn’t give me this feeling of hopelessness I got with Bob for 5 years straight, until Watson came to save his ass.

They didn't quit then either. They were getting their ashes kicked all over the field. Mr. McNair had had enough. So he did what a boss suppose to do. Get on that ash and demand them to get their acts together or else .

Agreed that 4-12 season looked they through in the towel.

Exactly! Their actual roster was not better than ours, besides QB, they just had the better coached players.

Bad luck was on our side that year. Some of those games were loses because of the ball just not bouncing our way. We would have a turnover at the most crucial time. That team was better than its record for sure.

I don’t see it that way. O’Brien has always been out-coached every year, even by rookie head coaches. The man is just way in over his head.

Maybe the worst part of it is he thinks he knows how to win. If he at least understood how deficient he was then he could work on improving and learning. But he already knows it all.

I don’t see it that way. O’Brien has always been out-coached every year, even by rookie head coaches. The man is just way in over his head.

Mediocrity is mediocrity.

Why is it that posters love them some Lines mediocrity but BOB mediocrity not so much?

Why is it that posters love them some Kubes mediocrity but BOB mediocrity not so much?

Why is it that posters love them some Kubes mediocrity but BOB mediocrity not so much?
While I’m no Kubiak lover, I just feel that O’Brien is still not a better head coach (definitely not a better OC) than Kubiak. The 5, going on 6 year test leads me to firmly believe this. But that’s not saying much, as both accomplished about the same thing given the circumstances. We need change!

How did that team quit when they were in almost ever single game that year? Take away Matt Schaub's barrage of pick 6's and they probably wouldn't went 5 -11 or 6-12.

He'll, put Arian Foster in the backfield with Keenum & we probably win 5 of the 8. We couldn't hold a lead b3cause we couldn't run the ball in the 2nd half.

They're the same HC in different clothes.

Too conservative.

Yes both of them are conservative but Kubiak offensive game plan is so much better. That bootleg even with statue/noodle arm Schaub was a thing of beauty. His zone blocking scheme was good for even the mediocre type running back to run in. You can't say that with Obrien. One had an actual identity to his offense the other is still trying to figure it out in year 6.

Why is it that posters love them some Lines mediocrity but BOB mediocrity not so much?

I agree. But I think that’s just how bad OB has been.

By the end of Kubiak’s tenure I was past ready for a change.

But to me OB is a worse coach simply because I don’t think he’s really shown to be good at anything.

Be honest, if kubiak has this exact same offense, line included how fun do you think that would be to watch?

I know if we look at w’s vs l’s they are similar....but this division was much better when Kubiak was here and Kubiak actually developed players on offense across the board. Took several players and got more out of them than they were projected to give.

OB simply hasn’t done that.

Which means they played late into games.

Schaub threw almost double his normal INT rate. Doc had predicted his inability to extend his foot. But that's not having quit.

Anyway, when I think of quit it's of teams walking in looking defeated, no effort from the get. I didn't see that.

Not from the get, no

But late, yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back