Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DeMeco Ryans traded to Philadelphia

So what if he goes to Philly and kills the league, or ends up being forgotten because of poor play? Either case doesn't change the fact he is no longer a Texan. Players change teams all the time. Don't be surprised when one or more on that long list of FAs we have coming up next year leaves as well.

What a ridiculous attitude that is.

Yeah, I'll reallllllllllly be okay when he goes to Philly and tears it up like he always does, completely invalidating any of the "positives" of this trade that so many people are trying to pump up in order to rationalize how stupid it is.

Yeah.

He looked great on film at the end of the year...despite what some here say.

I love Demeco Ryans. I am not excited about this trade, mainly because I am concerned about the loss of leadership on the field. I also agree that Demeco looked much better late in the year than he did early in the year.

Still, I get the trade. First, Demeco is not a good blitzer nor is he strong in coverage (whether healthy or not his coverage skills have never been strong). In the 3-4, I think this creates a problem. Since Cushing is a great blitzer, it is important that the other ILB can drop effectively into coverage.

Beyond the differences with the 3-4 and 4-3 is the fact that the traditional MLB is an endangered species (similar to the traditional SS). The passing game is so prevalent and the specialty packages so central to weekly gameplans that players like Demeco are becoming marginalized. From a strictly X's and O's perspective, I think this trade makes a ton of sense. However, we'll see how the loss of their captain affects the team in reality. The loss of his leadership is something to be concerned about and something that can't be replaced with a mid round draft pick.

What a ridiculous attitude that is.

Yeah, I'll reallllllllllly be okay when he goes to Philly and tears it up like he always does, completely invalidating any of the "positives" of this trade that so many people are trying to pump up in order to rationalize how stupid it is.

Yeah.

How is it rediculous? It doesn't matter what he does in Philly, because unless he's doing it against the Texans, it neither helps or hurts them. He's gone. I with the ones who wish he was still here, he was one of my favorite players.

But he's gone and there is nothing the ordinary fan can do except move on. And ***** about here I suppose.

How is it rediculous? It doesn't matter what he does in Philly, because unless he's doing it against the Texans, it neither helps or hurts them. He's gone. I with the ones who wish he was still here, he was one of my favorite players.

But he's gone and there is nothing the ordinary fan can do except move on. And ***** about here I suppose.

Hear ya old man. Cheers, it's stout time :)

I love Demeco Ryans. I am not excited about this trade, mainly because I am concerned about the loss of leadership on the field. I also agree that Demeco looked much better late in the year than he did early in the year.

Still, I get the trade. First, Demeco is not a good blitzer nor is he strong in coverage (whether healthy or not his coverage skills have never been strong). In the 3-4, I think this creates a problem. Since Cushing is a great blitzer, it is important that the other ILB can drop effectively into coverage.

Beyond the differences with the 3-4 and 4-3 is the fact that the traditional MLB is an endangered species (similar to the traditional SS). The passing game is so prevalent and the specialty packages so central to weekly gameplans that players like Demeco are becoming marginalized. From a strictly X's and O's perspective, I think this trade makes a ton of sense. However, we'll see how the loss of their captain affects the team in reality. The loss of his leadership is something to be concerned about and something that can't be replaced with a mid round draft pick.
Great post Dale, I agree. The loss of his leadership gets me, not just on the field but off the field as well. He's a guy the ENTIRE team has tremendous respect for. We're all know last season's mantra of Next Man Up. Well, now it's time for somebody to step up and command that leadership role and move forward. JJ Watt seems to be a good cadidate. I'm not talking about "team captain", I'm talking about the true leader that steps up and leads his team when the going gets tough. Right now, it's tough for all the Texans players.

The same can be said in any organization or business - It happens in real life too. When your company's CEO moves on or your Church's pastor moves on, there can be a HUGE void. It's a natural course of life, but there's always somebody that steps in to fill it. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. This is a whole new era in Texans football.... and a new leader will (need to) emerge.

It's why I don't buy a jersey with a player's name on it, but one with my name instead. I'm a fan of the football team first. I'll have my favorite players and will root for them and all that, but it's because I want the TEAM to do well, not just the individual(s). Even AJ will not be a Texan some day, but I'll still be a Texans fan.

And maybe some of this wouldn't be so bad if they were getting something in return. So far, they've lost Winston, Briesel, Ryans, Mario, Allen, and they've got a 4th round pick and maybe a couple of supp. picks next year to show for it.

Plus, you thought Tim Tebow was a miracle worker? He ain't nothing compared to the miracle of Jacoby Jones still being on this team. How any of those guys are gone before him just doesn't translate to me.

If you think buying a player's jersey is bad...check these unfortunate dopes out...

http://www.jockular.com/13767/three-people-regretting-tim-tebow-trade-more-than-tim-tebow

Because moving him was stupid, and the people who are positive with their reactions here (and especially, the ones who are so condescending towards people with negative reactions) will have their argument as to why this was a good deal shot to high heaven.

Newsflash: It DOES hurt us if he kicks ass in Philly, because he should have been kicking ass here for life.

I'm not really worried abou this at all...In fact it makes me more optimistic about the upcoming season...

Because moving him was stupid, and the people who are positive with their reactions here (and especially, the ones who are so condescending towards people with negative reactions) will have their argument as to why this was a good deal shot to high heaven.

Newsflash: It DOES hurt us if he kicks ass in Philly, because he should have been kicking ass here for life.

I would not go as far as to call them all 'positive reactions', not negative does not equal positive. Some may be pragmatic, apathic or even rational, but common for them all they're entitled to their opinion, whether you like it or not.

Were who's kicking ass and when, that's pure speculation... a player might work out one place but not the other, anything else is Madden-logics.

Time to get drunk, I'll have a stout for Demeco, cheers to a great player and may he have success in Philly!

Just makes you wonder how the Texans only got a 4th for Ryans . I thought he'd be worth at least a 1st and a 2nd . They must have turned them better deals down .

high salary player coming off injury plagued season coming off injury shortened season :wadepalm:

So the market was a warm 6 pack and a bag a chips for a stud of this caliber .... dang . I guess sentimental value may be worth a 1st but reality is beer and chips .

Just makes you wonder how the Texans only got a 4th for Ryans . I thought he'd be worth at least a 1st and a 2nd . They must have turned them better deals down .

Geez, what do you think they could get for Foster? A chunk of the moon?

The deal sounds about right. I got his jersey, should tell you something about what I thought of him. It sucks right now. Front office has to do what they have to do, if this is what they believe is the right thing to do.....well, just gotta wait to see what the final plan is. I think this draft goes fairly deep so a 4th rounder just might get you a guy to start.

I'm definitely ready for some good news lol...

They've cut about everyone not named Jacoby!!!!!!!!

CAN I GET A JACOBY/SOAP AVATAR PLEASE?!?!?! Where's Falsestart at?!

That's starting QB territory. No one would give two first day picks for a ILB. MAaaaaaybe a 1st OR a 2nd for a starting CB or pass rusher. But not for a guy that comes off the field after first down.

...and DeMeco's is one of the few Texans' jerseys I own so I'm not thrilled about this move either.

But apparently he doesn't fit Wade's system or Wade considers him readily replaceable.... otherwise, why wouldn't Wade leave him on the field for all three downs??

So what if he goes to Philly and kills the league, or ends up being forgotten because of poor play? Either case doesn't change the fact he is no longer a Texan. Players change teams all the time. Don't be surprised when one or more on that long list of FAs we have coming up next year leaves as well.

agreement1.gif

That's starting QB territory. No one would give two first day picks for a ILB. MAaaaaaybe a 1st OR a 2nd for a starting CB or pass rusher. But not for a guy that comes off the field after first down.

...and DeMeco's is one of the few Texans' jerseys I own so I'm not thrilled about this move either.

But apparently he doesn't fit Wade's system or Wade considers him readily replaceable.... otherwise, why wouldn't Wade leave him on the field for all three downs??

Yeh, I'm down to my Battle Red Dre Jersey, this is getting ridiculous.

I have to retire Meco's Jersey to the Sharper, Glenn, HWSNBN portion of my closet. I will put his near Glenn and no where near #8.1 since he is not worthy of bieng near Ryans.

Guess I will stick with AJ's Jerseys from now on, they better never cut or trade him regardless, he needs to retire a Texan hopefully that will be many moons from now, several SB's, and all 1,000 yard seasons.........

Yeh, I'm down to my Battle Red Dre Jersey, this is getting ridiculous.

I have to retire Meco's Jersey to the Sharper, Glenn, HWSNBN portion of my closet. I will put his near Glenn and no where near #8.1 since he is not worthy of bieng near Ryans.

Guess I will stick with AJ's Jerseys from now on, they better never cut or trade him regardless, he needs to retire a Texan hopefully that will be many moons from now, several SB's, and all 1,000 yard seasons.........

Hopefully he does retire a Texan, but we've just seen the Colts cut Peyton Manning and the 49ers parted ways with Jerry Rice...

And there are a ton more examples of iconic/beloved/legendary players being cut or not re-signed with the team where they made their name...

I get the feeling more people are upset about having to retire another jersey in their closet than actually losing the player himself. :stirpot:

I cheer for the name on the front of the jersey not the back.

Meco was a fine player, but he is no longer a Texan. I don't care what he does at this point.

I cheer for the name on the front of the jersey not the back.

Meco was a fine player, but he is no longer a Texan. I don't care what he does at this point.

That's a pretty ****ty attitude. Why do they bother playing for you and your enjoyment? Why even care about what anybody on the team does while they're here if you're just going to toss them aside after they're done? If a player retires, they too are no longer Texans. Do we stop caring about them too?

What good is a team's success if you can't feel happy for and love the players that brought a team success?

DeMeco did nothing to deserve that type of attitude. If he was a piece of **** here or on his way out, I could understand that sentiment. Holy crap.

Lame.

REPOST!

Actually we got the value of a mid 3rd round pick for Ryans. Going by the draft value chart anyway. The value of the fourth round pick we got is 145 points and the value of moving up from 89 to 77 is 60 points so that comes out o 205 points total which is the equivalent of the 13th pick in the 3rd round.

Lots of options

Its possible now that we could combine our 3rd (77th, 205 points) and their 4th (89th, 145 points) and move up as far as the 55th pick.

So we would end up having the same amount of picks but 3 in the top 58. Not bad!

OR

Package our first with their fourth and move up to around the 20th pick.

That's a pretty ****ty attitude. Why do they bother playing for you and your enjoyment? Why even care about what anybody on the team does while they're here if you're just going to toss them aside after they're done? If a player retires, they too are no longer Texans. Do we stop caring about them too?

What good is a team's success if you can't feel happy for and love the players that brought a team success?

DeMeco did nothing to deserve that type of attitude. If he was a piece of **** here or on his way out, I could understand that sentiment. Holy crap.

Lame.
I'm sure the players play for the love of the game, but they damned sure aren't above the money!!:kitten:

Gonna be some slow walking and sad talking when the Texans trade 33 year old JJ Watt to OAK for a 1st round pick.

Hell they could trade him right now for a 3rd rounder and 2 6th rounders and you of all people would act like the Texans management is genius for it as usual.

That's a pretty ****ty attitude. Why do they bother playing for you and your enjoyment? Why even care about what anybody on the team does while they're here?

Lame.

In a lot of ways, it is protection of one's self from when a player leaves because he wants or the team jettisons some dude for a reason.

While players and the organization talk about the fans and all that jazz, at the end of the day players watch out themselves and their families (as they should) and teams watch out for the organizations success (money and winning both) as they should.

Both play for your enjoyment becasue its an industry which makes both players and the organization bunches of money; more than most fans can fathom. I enjoy football and enjoy being a Texans fan, but I in noway think that either group in the truest sense of the idea give a damn about me.

Your sig is almost the exact opposite of what Runner said earlier in the thread about the attitude regarding the players before and after being cut.

:kitten:

The majority of this board is the exact opposite of what I say.

And given what I know about groupthink, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I know that much, but I'm still watching them for my entertainment and there is no way I'll enjoy any team success if I'm not loving the players bringing my team success. It's the same way I could never be a Laker or Raider fan. Their organization and players are so unlikeable that even if they won a championship, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

There's something to be said about falling in love with the guys on the field too.

Lame.

Just becuase you disagree with me does not mean I am lame nor do I have a ****ty attitude. I cheer for the Texans, I don't cheer for the players. Demeco is a player. Nothing more. He was a good player while here, but he did what was expected of him. He did a good job and was justly rewarded with his contract.

And for the record, players play for the money. They may say they are playing for the fans or the love of the game, but its all about the $. And there is nothing wrong with that. Players need to look out for themselves just like the teams do. I will cheer for the team LONG after Demco retires, whether he was a lifelong Texan or not.

I know that much, but I'm still watching them for my entertainment and there is no way I'll enjoy any team success if I'm not loving the players bringing my team success. It's the same way I could never be a Laker or Raider fan. Their organization and players are so unlikeable that even if they won a championship, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

There's something to be said about falling in love with the guys on the field too.

That is your perspective and that is perfectly fine. I simply choose not to support individual players since they are here one day and gone the next. Carr, Winston, Mario, and Meco are all players people thought would be lifelong Texans.

Just becuase you disagree with me does not mean I am lame nor do I have a ****ty attitude. I cheer for the Texans, I don't cheer for the players. Demeco is a player. Nothing more. He was a good player while here, but he did what was expected of him. He did a good job and was justly rewarded with his contract.

And for the record, players play for the money. They may say they are playing for the fans or the love of the game, but its all about the $. And there is nothing wrong with that. Players need to look out for themselves just like the teams do. I will cheer for the team LONG after Demco retires, whether he was a lifelong Texan or not.

And just because you have your right to an opinion doesn't mean I have the right to call that opinion or attitude ****ty.

I think your attitude of players being "nothing more" is ****ty.

I'll root for the Texans long after DeMeco or anyone goes. Hell, my existence as a Texans fan got cemented because of David Carr and we all know the situation with that and I'm still here. I'm not saying I'm only a player fan or anything, but I think that the sentiment you hold is totally cold, and that it's a good thing you're not an owner or a GM because nobody would want to play for you.

I mean, I don't get it. You don't yell out during games or say "Thattaboy, Cush!" or "There you go, Dre!". Nothing? You just sit there and clap/yell only after we're done with the game? How....hm....frigid.

In a lot of ways, it is protection of one's self from when a player leaves because he wants or the team jettisons some dude for a reason.

While players and the organization talk about the fans and all that jazz, at the end of the day players watch out themselves and their families (as they should) and teams watch out for the organizations success (money and winning both) as they should.

Both play for your enjoyment becasue its an industry which makes both players and the organization bunches of money; more than most fans can fathom. I enjoy football and enjoy being a Texans fan, but I in noway think that either group in the truest sense of the idea give a damn about me.

Yeah, you could say its self defensive. I was a HUGE Nolan fan as a kid and remember where I was when he broke the strikeout record (I was with my dad at a mechanic getting the family car fixed. A group of mechanics were surrounding the TV and we all cheered him on!). The day he left the team I realized it was a business and that its better to be attached to the team than players. In most cases, the team outlasts players (unless you were a Houston Oilers fan!)

I can definitely get behind the idea that it's all psychological and a defense mechanism. Would make totally sense, given the way people are.

so why's this thread still here in the bullpen?

thought the mods had a new policy that a thread involving any ex-player gets moved within 3 hrs of the transaction happening? you know like mario or will someone just admit that was a once off petty, butthurt move cos they were pissed he left

so why's this thread still here in the bullpen?

thought the mods had a new policy that a thread involving any ex-player gets moved within 3 hrs of the transaction happening? you know like mario or will someone just admit that was a once off petty, butthurt move cos they were pissed he left

Much like dropping killer food on the floor, the "10 second rule" applies. Only in this case it's a 24 hour rule. ;)

And just because you have your right to an opinion doesn't mean I have the right to call that opinion or attitude ****ty.

I think your attitude of players being "nothing more" is ****ty.

I'll root for the Texans long after DeMeco or anyone goes. Hell, my existence as a Texans fan got cemented because of David Carr and we all know the situation with that and I'm still here. I'm not saying I'm only a player fan or anything, but I think that the sentiment you hold is totally cold, and that it's a good thing you're not an owner or a GM because nobody would want to play for you.

I mean, I don't get it. You don't yell out during games or say "Thattaboy, Cush!" or "There you go, Dre!". Nothing? You just sit there and clap/yell only after we're done with the game? How....hm....frigid.

Maybe I am not conveying it to you as well as I have it in my mind.

1. Yes, you have every right to call my attitude ****ty. But, that is just an opinion, it does not make it a fact.

2. I own 1 Texans jersey. It is a white 02. The name on the back is TEXANS. I do not own a jersey with a team name. I have an Astros jersey with no name or number as well.

3. At the end of the day, Demeco did his job and did nothing more. He was handsomely rewarded for it. I thank him for his service but he is playing for another team now. He is not a Texan. The Texans are my team, not the Eagles.

4. I would actually make a fantastic GM. A GM has to be a person who looks at the big picture and sees what's best for the team. A good GM has to know the value of players and not get swayed by emotional attachment. It's tough when you have working relationships with them, but its the way of business. In a salary cap era, you simply cannot keep everyone you want. You refer to my attitude as Cold, but I think its Texans-centric. I want what's best for the team above the player. That's the way dynasties are built. That's the Steeler way. I don't like them, but I admire their success.

5. When I watch the game, I cheer good plays. But I also recognize that most good plays are a team effort rather than individual. When Dre makes a great catch its becuase the QB put the ball in a place for him, the OL protected the QB, the RB picked up a key block, AND Dre made a good move to get by the defender and made a good catch. So, when that happens, I cheer the team for making a play together. Football is a team sport, unlike basketball which is fairly individualistic.

Anyway, this is probably a place we should agree to disagree!

4. I would actually make a fantastic GM. A GM has to be a person who looks at the big picture and sees what's best for the team. A good GM has to know the value of players and not get swayed by emotional attachment. It's tough when you have working relationships with them, but its the way of business. In a salary cap era, you simply cannot keep everyone you want. You refer to my attitude as Cold, but I think its Texans-centric. I want what's best for the team above the player. That's the way dynasties are built. That's the Steeler way. I don't like them, but I admire their success.

Anyway, this is probably a place we should agree to disagree!

There's nothing wrong with doing that. That's the way I would want to operate too. However, your previous words gave the feeling that they're no more than disposable heroes to you and that they don't matter no matter what.

I understand and agree with never putting one player above the team. But you present your view on players as if you're cold, stoic, unfeeling, etc.

But yeah, enough about this.

Hell they could trade him right now for a 3rd rounder and 2 6th rounders and you of all people would act like the Texans management is genius for it as usual.

Doubtful. That's a reach for a comment and you know it, sir.

My whole beef with everything that's gone down, is that people are going 100% nuts, knowing full well that this day was coming within the next 12 months. Trade or otherwise.

Back