Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DeMeco Ryans traded to Philadelphia

so why's this thread still here in the bullpen?

thought the mods had a new policy that a thread involving any ex-player gets moved within 3 hrs of the transaction happening? you know like mario or will someone just admit that was a once off petty, butthurt move cos they were pissed he left

I can't speak to the policy or your hurt butt, due to the policy, but I can see the difference in the threads. Mario was a free agent and we got nothing in return, while Demeco was traded and there was a return.

That's a pretty ****ty attitude. Why do they bother playing for you and your enjoyment? Why even care about what anybody on the team does while they're here if you're just going to toss them aside after they're done? If a player retires, they too are no longer Texans. Do we stop caring about them too?

What good is a team's success if you can't feel happy for and love the players that brought a team success?

DeMeco did nothing to deserve that type of attitude. If he was a piece of **** here or on his way out, I could understand that sentiment. Holy crap.
Lame.

Leave Demeco alone ... he did nothing to you ... I love him .... he's a hot player with a nice ... but wait ... he's my captain . :wadepalm:

The craziest thing about this thread is all the people that are upset because they think they can't wear Demeco's jersey now. I've never understood this. Don't people buy throwback jerseys all the time? Isn't that what Mitchell & Ness is founded on? I still wear old Texans jerseys all the time. I was a fan of them while they were here and proud of what they accomplished with the Texans.

That's a pretty ****ty attitude. Why do they bother playing for you and your enjoyment? Why even care about what anybody on the team does while they're here if you're just going to toss them aside after they're done? If a player retires, they too are no longer Texans. Do we stop caring about them too?

What good is a team's success if you can't feel happy for and love the players that brought a team success?

DeMeco did nothing to deserve that type of attitude. If he was a piece of **** here or on his way out, I could understand that sentiment. Holy crap.

Lame.

It ain't a ****ty attitude. Good grief people!! Is this Texans Talk or DeMeco Ryans Talk? These players are not going to last forever. They come and go. At the end of April there will be a handful of young men that will put on a TEXANS jersey and we'll cheer on until they no longer put that jersey on. No player is above the team. Including AJ, and there will even be a day when AJ no longer puts that Texans jersey on. What are people going to do then? 10 years ago there were a bunch of players that put on those Texans jerseys that we all cheered for. Not one of them wears it any more and we're all still here.

I don't have a problem at all letting players go if it means the TEAM gets better and wins games. But so far, that's the problem. Who are they replacing these players with? Last year's backups? And who's replacing the backups? That's what sucks about all of this to me. Are the Texans better today than they were on March 10th? IMO so far, the answer is no. But they've still got 5½ months to go before the bell rings, so we'll see what it looks like then.

Another thing to consider....how often does a team hit it big on almost every pick in a draft like the Texans did in '06? If Spencer doesn't get hurt, 5 of the 7 they drafted that year would have been multi-Pro Bowlers. While it's awesome to hit it like that on so many players, that is a rarity and you know that had to bite you down the road somewhere when it came to contracts and salary caps. And if you get too invested in the individual players, it isn't going to be much fun for you when they get cut, traded or you lose to FA, because most of them ARE going to be cut, traded or lost in FA. That's just the sad reality of the business.

I'm a fan of the HOUSTON TEXANS. I cheer for the guys who wear that jersey until they no longer wear it, becasue I know it won't be very long that they will wear it. Hell, even Peyton Manning isn't a Colt any more. The players come and go. The team stays...(usually).

So quit telling people what kind of attitude to have and go cry in your beer or something.

I think when the texans were trying to build the talent base,they overpaid some of the good players like demeco and overlooked their shortcomings. Now that they have a solid talent base,they can start purging guys and getting roster/salary balance like philly. We were talking weeks ago that this would be ryans last yr in houston. Not because he's a bad player,but moreso because he's very limited in pass coverage and the salary he makes. 2 down lbs are cheaper just like 2 down backs. The backs who don't come off the field earn a lot more just like the lbs who don't come off the field. 6m for 58% of the snaps doesn't match up. That's also the ratio of 3wr packages in the nfl. The texans did him a huge solid because we see 2 down lb's like henderson and lofton just sitting out there without a contract.

I don't have a problem at all letting players go if it means the TEAM gets better and wins games. But so far, that's the problem. Who are they replacing these players with? Last year's backups? And who's replacing the backups? That's what sucks about all of this to me. Are the Texans better today than they were on March 10th? IMO so far, the answer is no. But they've still got 5½ months to go before the bell rings, so we'll see what it looks like then.

Gee, and if one would take a look at the bigger picture of things, they'd realize that that's what people are most worried about. How do you replace a guy like DeMeco, both on the field in his limited-thus-far role in Phillips' D AND, more importantly, in the locker room and such? We'll find out in the coming months. It better be pretty damn nice. Not to mention the other boys we lost. Losing Mario, Winston, Brisiel didn't and won't mean nearly as much as losing Ryans, I'll tell you that much. If all goes well, hopefully even losing Ryans won't mean that much.

Nobody cares about DeMeco's jersey. I don't even own any Texans players jerseys. Not sure what jerseys have to do with it or why people keep bringing them up. But the whole "oh, they're no longer on the team anymore, so what do I care about them?" is BS. Sorry. Absolute BS.

I get the feeling more people are upset about having to retire another jersey in their closet than actually losing the player himself. :stirpot:

While I know you're just messin' wiff people...

lest someone else get it twisted. it's because of the man who wears (or wore) the jersey that I spent my cash on it.

Some old school members in here know my luck with jerseys. I wouldn't know how to dig up that old thread.

And yes, I had a DeMeco & Mario. But I guess they're headed to Harris County CPS(my mother works there and that's where all of our old duds go) along with my Carr, Sharper, Glenn, & DRob jerseys. I never got a Schaub, just don't want to jinx it.

But I do have 2 Dre's, 2 Cushings, 1 Foster and 2 Watts. Would've had a Yates this year if they would have sold em.

So to whoever's bitching about the jerseys, just make sure your next buy is well though out for a player the franchise can't let go of. Foster, Dre, Watt or Cushing would be perfect. Or hell, Joseph should be around quite awhile, buy Joseph.

Some old school members in here know my luck with jerseys. I wouldn't know how to dig up that old thread.

And yes, I had a DeMeco & Mario. But I guess they're headed to Harris County CPS(my mother works there and that's where all of our old duds go) along with my Carr, Sharper, Glenn, & DRob jerseys. I never got a Schaub, just don't want to jinx it.

But I do have 2 Dre's, 2 Cushings, 1 Foster and 2 Watts. Would've had a Yates this year if they would have sold em.

So to whoever's bitching about the jerseys, just make sure your next buy is well though out for a player the franchise can't let go of. Foster, Dre, Watt or Cushing would be perfect. Or hell, Joseph should be around quite awhile, buy Joseph.

They did sell 'em. I saw 'em at Academy towards the end of the season and during the playoffs.

At least down here in SE Houston....

Edit: and I still wear my Sharper jersey.

That's weird. I always keep my jerseys of players whether they get traded or not. Would be a pretty expensive hobby to maintain only current players, lol.

I wear my Leandro Barbosa jersey once a week it seems, and he hasnt been on the Suns for a couple years now.

I get the notion of donating it though---that's pretty cool.

Who until his injury didn't think Demeco would be a Texan for life?

I can't speak to the policy or your hurt butt, due to the policy, but I can see the difference in the threads. Mario was a free agent and we got nothing in return, while Demeco was traded and there was a return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft#Compensatory_picks

i can do semantics too.

fwiw i dont care where a thread is- i just thought going to the bother of moving it immediately as he signed with the bills was lame.... seemed a little too much like a jilted mod doing the e-version of cutting his face out of photos you know?

I think when the texans were trying to build the talent base,they overpaid some of the good players like demeco and overlooked their shortcomings. Now that they have a solid talent base,they can start purging guys and getting roster/salary balance like philly. We were talking weeks ago that this would be ryans last yr in houston. Not because he's a bad player,but moreso because he's very limited in pass coverage and the salary he makes. 2 down lbs are cheaper just like 2 down backs. The backs who don't come off the field earn a lot more just like the lbs who don't come off the field. 6m for 58% of the snaps doesn't match up. That's also the ratio of 3wr packages in the nfl. The texans did him a huge solid because we see 2 down lb's like henderson and lofton just sitting out there without a contract.

Great post! Additionally, he's being paid like a premiere 4-3 MLB vs a WILB in a 3-4. I love Ryans and wish him well. Im bummed we had to let him go, but I completely understand the move. My only hope is that we find a solid replacement for him.

mecoeagle.png

:(

Me.

Linebacker is not that sexy of a position. Your "star" players are going to be: QB, RB, WR, and DE. I'm not saying there haven't been AWESOME LBs or S or CB or TE, etc....I'm just saying that when you think of marquee positions and guys who retire and leave a "legacy" with the team, it tends to not be a LB.

LBs, and G, and T, and C, are all perceived to be utilitarian blue-collar guys you never really see (though their impact is HUGE). The other positions I listed, those guys get the sacks and they catch or run with the ball, or throw the ball. They have a higher exposure to popularity since they are making the plays more regularly.

I expect Brian Cushing will be dealt in the next few years, too. I just don't think people need to place their eggs in the my-guy-won't-ever-leave-here basket. I think Andre Johnson will be the only Texans player to stay here from start to finish and retire a Texan without playing anywhere else. But yet he could decide he's not finished and then go play for the worst team in the NFL if it comes down to that.

We had around 5 or 6 good years with DeMeco Ryans, then we earned some trade value back for him. I hate to compare this to cars, but when you go to trade your 6-year-old car in for a new one...you're not going to get full value on it. Not even if it's in mint condition. It has miles on it, it's an older body style and etc., etc. We should expect that we can't get a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. That's not a slap in his face, nor in ours, it's just the way it goes for every player who ages, has injuries, etc.

For Life?

There have been much better players that meant more to their teams and their cities that have finished their careers with other teams.

I don't really have any kind of expectations in that regard...

We are not guaranteed a compensatory pick. However, I commend you on the effort.

:yawn: like i said semantics. an ex player is an ex player.

so you're gonna bring it back to the bullpen when that comp pick is announced so is it? :rolleyes:

again im annoyed at myself for keeping this going cos i really dont care about this stupid trivial stuff but just have to call you on your weak reasoning

:yawn: like i said semantics. an ex player is an ex player.

so you're gonna bring it back to the bullpen when that comp pick is announced so is it? :rolleyes:

again im annoyed at myself for keeping this going cos i really dont care about this stupid trivial stuff but just have to call you on your weak reasoning

You hide your "not caring" very well.

Walrus boy was on 610 am this morning with his newest favorite assertion that DeMeco was a "one down LB" here. That's bull. DeMeco was on the field for 57% of plays last year. 1st downs of all sorts combined only accounted for 36% of plays.

I like Demeco, but I actually agree with the trade. We overpaid for him when his contract was coming to an end, added with the injury lead to him being less than his former self. I'm glad he wasn't a cap casualty and we got some value for him. Just was no longer a fit.

The craziest thing about this thread is all the people that are upset because they think they can't wear Demeco's jersey now. I've never understood this. Don't people buy throwback jerseys all the time? Isn't that what Mitchell & Ness is founded on? I still wear old Texans jerseys all the time. I was a fan of them while they were here and proud of what they accomplished with the Texans.

I bought a battle red Davis jersey from HT.com for less than $10. I still wear it. I could care less if the player is no longer with the team or even in the league. It's my damn jersey and I'll wear it when I want to. I don't understand not wearing old jerseys, either...unless it's a Carr one, of course. That's more embarrassing than anything in my mind.

Most of the time I wear my own custom jersey, though, mainly because I paid way too much money for in (a moment of weakness, I guess). I plan to wear that one to the grave. Seriously, I've told my wife to bury me in it. Suits suck, so might as well be comfortable and representing the team in the afterlife!

Maybe in a couple years, he'll sign back with us and they retire him as a Texan. I think I would be ok with that... depends on if Philly or he ever had a chance to dash our hopes of course!

:)

I am going to miss his First and Ten football camps. DeMeco and Dunta really shined. Only Andre left and he... just doesn't have the same personality or sparkle that Dunta or DeMeco brought to the kids.

should the Oiler fans throw away their Earl Campbell jerseys just because he became a Saint late in his career?

eh, I didn't think so.

I get the feeling more people are upset about having to retire another jersey in their closet than actually losing the player himself. :stirpot:

I'm very upset at the prospect of losing Meco. The jersey is a side issue, although jerseys are freaking expensive when you have two kids and mortgage, so it does affect me personally a little.

Although I'm sad to see Meco go, its better it get traded to a team that can use him than to just get cut by the Texans next season. I think everyone knows what Meco meant as a leader, but its a competative bussiness and in the new D System he doesn't have the value he once had when he got that contract. he deserved it for out playing his first contract and bieng a good example of how to handle those kinds of situations. I will miss Demeco, and I will miss wearing my jersey!!!! I might pull the jersey after he retires, but until then he's a Eagle so he is the enemy. I wish him the best of luck and will miss him.

Don't worry people, we will do TTalk cheap jersey orders again in the future. Sometime after the draft or so there will be many people chomping at the bit for Texans jerseys.

Don't worry people, we will do TTalk cheap jersey orders again in the future. Sometime after the draft or so there will be many people chomping at the bit for Texans jerseys.

Awesome! Count me in. I might even go for the #34 Earl jersey that Vinny mentioned above.

Awesome! Count me in. I might even go for the #34 Earl jersey that Vinny mentioned above.
That may be the best throwback ever. Every time I see a guy or gal wearing one it makes me feel good about being there watching him play live and in person. Superstar is such an overused term but that's what Earl was to me.

That may be the best throwback ever. Every time I see a guy or gal wearing one it makes me feel good about being there watching him play live and in person. Superstar is such an overused term but that's what Earl was to me.

#2 son got a free football card at the NFL experience that had a snippet of Earl and Priest Holmes game jersey in the card . I hope he still has it and not traded it for a candy bar .

I was a youngin, but he was to me to. And after having the opportunity to meet him a few times while the wife was working for Tri-Star, he remains my favorite of all time. He's the nicest, most down to Earth 'star' I've ever watched or met for that matter.

On the other end of the spectrum.....Randy Johnson's the worst. He was a dick on and off the field. Treated the wife like crap too

yep, me, too. He was a hero to me as a kid, larger than life, and might as well been on the same pages as Batman and Spiderman in my eyes.

This is what people do not understand who rag on Houston football fans for hard feelings toward Bud. He didn't just treat the city of Houston and it's citizens with disrespect. He treated our heroes wrong. People can say "it's just business", but who the heck fires a head coach after three years of playoff football, two of those going to the AFC championship game? Bud Adams, that's who.

yep, me, too. He was a hero to me as a kid, larger than life, and might as well been on the same pages as Batman and Spiderman in my eyes.

This is what people do not understand who rag on Houston football fans for hard feelings toward Bud. He didn't just treat the city of Houston and it's citizens with disrespect. He treated our heroes wrong. People can say "it's just business", but who the heck fires a head coach after three years of playoff football, two of those going to the AFC championship game? Bud Adams, that's who.

Every rodeo season I remember Earl handing out Skoal Bandits at a Skoal booth in the Astro arena . I was about 17 and he'd dance around to Willie songs and talk with folks .

That doesn't make sense. Cushing was playing the Sam and DeMeco the Mike. Why would they even consider moving Ryans over? When Cushing tried to replace Ryans after the achilles injury, it was a disaster. Clearly, Brian is more comfortable in Wade's 3-4 than in the middle of Frank Bush's 4-3.

Was Ryans in danger of losing his starting spot? That's what we really don't know. You couldn't have a player of Ryans' stature on the bench, much less carry that kind of salary. If Wade was considering replacing DeMeco, he had to go. That's what we'll really never know for sure.

This is what I am hoping because imo Ryans played well considering injuries & if Wade thinks he has a better replacement, ILB will produce even better play.

Eagles confident Ryans well on road to full strength

"I was slow," Ryans said Wednesday. "It slowed me down there at the beginning of the year. But as the season went on, it continued to get better. Toward the end of the season, I was moving around feeling like myself again."

Dr. Brian Sennett, the chief of sports medicine for the University of Pennsylvania Health Systems, helped author a 2009 study on Achilles' tendon injuries in the NFL. The study concluded that "players generally took 9 to 12 months to return to play, and 32.3 percent of players never returned to play."

Sennett said in an interview Wednesday that 9 months is generally a good starting point, citing the timeline that Phillies slugger Ryan Howard is currently dealing with. The new Eagle linebacker's injury occurred in October 2010. He returned to training camp last August and played all 16 games, but it was clear he was not the same player.

In a Week 2 win over Miami, Ryans was credited with only one tackle for the first time in his career, whether it was as a three-star recruit at Lanier High School in Bessemer, Ala., the SEC defensive player of the year at Alabama or the defensive rookie of the year in the NFL.

Roseman said the front office spent significant time studying Achilles' injuries, recovery times and how performance is affected. The results entering a minicamp that will be 18 months since the injury are encouraging.

"You're always better the second year back," Roseman said. "You kind of get back to where you were the year before. We watched him on tape, and we saw throughout the year, he got better and better."
http://articles.philly.com/2012-03-...-roseman-training-camp-eagles-general-manager

Before any run at a title though, Ryan did admit — like many others — he was a bit taken back by the deal ... as well as the timing. The 27-year-old linebacker and team captain, after all, left Houston as the Texans’ all-time leader with 637 tackles. He also contributed eight sacks, six forced fumbles, eight fumble recoveries and two interceptions in his six-year career. He earned Pro Bowl honors following the 2007 and 2009 campaigns and was an Associated Press All-Pro selection in 2007.

“It was a little surprising when I first heard of the move, but at the same time, it was good because I knew I was coming to a good team,” he said. “I was excited about that because I know how good this team was in previous years and last year. I’ve gone down the road there and I knew I was coming to a good team.

“It was a perfect fit for me.”
“I can sense that everyone has been looking for that middle linebacker, and I’m happy to be the guy that they chose to step in and be the middle linebacker of this defense,” he said. “Like I said, it’s a perfect fit for me, and it’s what I like to do. I’m just eager to get started.”

He’s not alone.

“You’re talking about a really physical, instinctive linebacker. He’s in control,” Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said. “We always watch the middle linebacker in the biggest games toward the end of the season. We had the opportunity to watch him in a 4-3 defense a few years back, and saw him play against the NFC East.

“We felt very confident and comfortable making this trade.”

The Texans ranked second in total defense last season (285.7 yards per game), finished 10-6 and earned their first division title and playoff berth.

“It was great,” Ryans said of the postseason. “Houston was a place where we were building toward a playoff run. It took us a while to get there, but once we had the core guys in place, we did what winning teams do. We practiced the way winning teams practice, and we went out about our ways the way winning teams do.

“You saw that come to light with us making the playoffs, and us making a run on it.”

Now, if he can only do that in Philadelphia.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...eady-to-roll/2012/03/21/gIQAIcYcSS_story.html

Don't know if this was already posted.

When it was announced that the Houston Texans had traded DeMeco Ryans for a fourth round pick to the Philadelphia Eagles, some were shocked, some were even angered.

Me? I was impressed.

Impressed that the Texans were able to turn a cap hit into a draft pick. Impressed that the Eagles were able to acquire a middle linebacker that they needed without paying inflated free agent prices. Impressed that Ryans would now have a role able to fully utilze his skill-set.

Yes, to me, this was one of those rare trades where everyone wins.

Understanding DeMeco Ryans

When the Houston Texans selected DeMeco Ryans with the 33rd overall pick of the 2006 draft, they figured they’d found their MLB of the future. Someone that would play the spot for the next 10 years as they found a way to slow down Peyton Manning and that prolific Indianapolis Colts offense. He not only turned into the leader of the defense but became one of the better linebackers in the league. But let’s not rewrite history; Ryans was a good but not great player for Houston, and ultimately became replaceable.

He was never the surest of tacklers, missing one in every 10 attempted this year (30th out of 36 qualifying players) and, while not pushed around by linemen or blown up by fullbacks like, say, a Jonathan Vilma, neither was he a Patrick Willis type; excelling in getting off blocks to make plays. In coverage he had his moments, but he was not a linebacker that could match up with backs or tight ends and consistently win.

None of this is to say Ryans was or is a bad player, but when Brian Cushing joined he quickly became the second best linebacker on the team. When Wade Phillips came in and moved to a 3-4 defensive front, the writing was, to some degree, on the wall.

Understanding why the Texans don’t need him

At first it looked as if Cushing may be the odd man out. In Week 1 Ryans seemed the preferred option in the Texans dime defense (Houston almost exclusively use a 4-1-6 in passing situations), with Cushing only replacing him in that package during garbage time. It didn’t last and in Week 2 Cushing was the sole linebacker with his hand off the ground with Ryans taking a seat on the sideline. While Houston would use a nickel package including him on occasion, Ryans usually found himself on the outside looking in with the dime as their primary sub package. It left the former second round pick on the field for just 58.4% of all Texan defensive snaps, and when you have a $5.9m salary, that doesn’t make much sense.

It’s not the sole reason why the Texans are happy to move on. The likely replacement, 2010 4th round pick Daryl Sharpton, is a player the team is keen on giving more snaps after he managed just 55 plays in all of 2011. He’s shown some promise as an early down run defender; even if you are a bit concerned teams may go after him in the passing game the drop off in his key role may not be too precipitous. It is something of a risk replacing Ryans with him, but at the respective costs of the two players for what the Texans want from them, it makes sense.

Understanding why the Eagles needed him

As much as Ryans may have been considered leftovers in Houston, moving to Philadelphia makes him more of a main course. Desperate for an every down linebacker and not prepared to hand out long term deals to free agents Stephen Tulloch or Curtis Lofton, Ryans provides an immediate upgrade at the position. It may be a long time before Eagles fans forget about the horrors of starting Casey Matthews (-10.6) or Jamar Chaney (-10.1) at the MLB spot, but the solid play of the former Texan will go a long way to making it a distant memory. You wouldn’t confuse him with Tulloch when it comes to getting off blocks, but he’s not going to be blown away by the same linemen who previously get to the second level with ease in Philadelphia’s wide-nine scheme. That’s imperative for the Eagles defense to avoid being bullied as it too often was last year.

Understanding that no team lost

DeMeco Ryans is one of a number of NFL players whose reputation precedes his level of play. Synonymous with an underachieving defense, it should be noted that the unit got better the less time he spent on the field. He is a solid player, not a dominant one and to insinuate the Texans got robbed is simply wrong. The way they would have been fleeced is by paying Ryans $5.9m for playing less than 60% of their defensive snaps. They may well lose a little by putting Daryl Sharpton in his place, and it’s true that you can’t quantify how hard it will be losing the leader of their defense. However, given the push they are able to get up front, the improvement of the secondary and the improved play from the linebackers that will be returning, this loss is something that they can overcome.

The extra cap flexibility it gives them now and in the long run is as significant as the draft pick they received for Ryans. It was a move that was somewhat inevitable in hindsight, and an essential one given that football is a business about winning and not sentimentality. That the Eagles happened to get their much needed linebacker, and that DeMeco Ryans will get the three down role his all round game deserves, just makes this deal all the sweeter.

DeMeco Ryans said:
“It was a perfect fit for me.”

If DeMeco is cool with it, then all I can say is thanks for 6 years of playing hard and good luck kicking Cowboys butt twice a year.

Was looking through some old posts in light of DeMeco kicking ass in Philadelphia. Thought of this thread.

Before making a conclusion, it would be well to look at Ryan's defensive snaps this year (and last year).........he's averaging ~75 defensive snaps per game (~95% of the Eagles' total snaps) and the Eagles' defense is structured to funnel the plays right to him.

Even a blind squirrel is bound to find a nut once in a while. Likewise, a blind squirrel thrown into a barrel of nuts is bound to find a whole load of nuts.

Said it then and I'll say it now. Too many people see a player get a knee injury and do one or both of not allow a getting comfortable again period or just start seeing slower after a knee injury no matter what. Every player who has ever had a knee injury there are a slew of people saying "he's not what he used to be."

I guess if you say it about everyone you can be right on some and just forget the others or no offense doc explain it away as funnelling. DeMeco was never about raw athleticism. It was about football instinct, savvy and leadership.

Last edited:
Back