Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Case Keenum - Fan Pulse Check [UPDATE] Rams claim Case on waivers

Barring injuries, what is Keenum's future as a Texan this season?

• Total voters
Maybe in OB's mind Savage is the QB of the future.

That just makes me nervous as a fan. Especially if it comes down to passing up first round guys.

Who knows what OB thought of Garappolo but that's otherwise how I see it. I've always expected Savage to start at some point this season absent some Fitz run on a cinderella season.

I say "Troy Aikman" the kid and let's see what Savage is all about in a trial by fire. Many HoF QBs were thrown to the wolves in their first season. Either he goes fetal and broken ala D.Carr, or the kid rises to the challenge and shows that he is forged from steel.

We know what we have (or rather don't have) with Fitzpatrick. I'd rather see what either Case or Savage (or both) are about so they can be certain in the 2015 draft. If I have to watch bad football, at least make it a learning experience. I learn nothing from seeing Fitz out there other than the realization that I have better things to do with my time.

And "no" to paying too much for backups. The league has plenty of examples in recent years where a guy came off the bench, played decent, and then teams threw crazy rewards at them only to be disappointed.

Only way we don't draft a QB is...league folds, team moves, WWIII. That's about it. Unless Savage magically turns into the 2nd coming and even then I'd probably draft another QB.

Ehh i could see a Nick Foles scenario where he comes in towards the end of this season after Fitz and Keenum have failed... and plays well & goes into 2015 as the incumbent. In that regard i don't think we would take a qb in the 1st but we probably take one in the 2nd just in case.

What are y'all seeing that I'm missing about Savage starting at some point this season?

For me it's just seems he was may more calculating in the way he went about picking this kid.... Lets look at it...

Had the opportunity to take what almost everyone thought was the best qb prospect on the board at qb in Bortles and he chose Clowney...can't really be mad at that..

I'm sure he had several opportunities to trade back into the 1st and get either JFF or TB...chose not to...

Still had the opportunity to snag other more highly touted qb prospects at the top of the 2nd in Carr and Garapolo... and opted for an o-lineman instead....

Yet he still didn't panic and take the next best prospect in McCarron, Murray Boyd or Thomas in the 3rd..

Now, sure you can boil some of that down to draft day jockeying and everything, but what it says to me is that he believes in this kid...probably more than most.....but he does recognize that he's gonna need some seasoning and time to learn....and after seeing his skills in TC and listening to him talk about his situation in the past up to now...i can definitely say i can see why BoB might feel that way about him.

The actual draft day value they placed on taking Savage may not have been that high (4th rounder) but i believe that BoB and co. bet big on Savage for this franchise's future.

I say "Troy Aikman" the kid and let's see what Savage is all about in a trial by fire. Many HoF QBs were thrown to the wolves in their first season. Either he goes fetal and broken ala D.Carr, or the kid rises to the challenge and shows that he is forged from steel.
We know what we have (or rather don't have) with Fitzpatrick. I'd rather see what either Case or Savage (or both) are about so they can be certain in the 2015 draft. If I have to watch bad football, at least make it a learning experience. I learn nothing from seeing Fitz out there other than the realization that I have better things to do with my time.

And "no" to paying too much for backups. The league has plenty of examples in recent years where a guy came off the bench, played decent, and then teams threw crazy rewards at them only to be disappointed.

I'm with you on this. It seems like guys can either do it or they can't. We all watched the David Carr show from 2002-2006 and I'm pretty well convinced at this point that Carr was never going to be able to do it. Talk of the Texans breaking him just doesn't add up to me. I don't think he had the necessary mental element to be successful regardless. I'm leaning toward thinking that whether guys sit behind someone else or get thrown in right away doesn't really matter much for most QB's. Everyone can point to Steve Young and Aaron Rogers and say that they sat and learned but I think they would have been successful on any good team they landed on.

Just get him ready and send him out there to go get it.

They should be giving him or Keenum first team reps and preparing whichever one they choose to face the coming storm. Wasting time on Shitz is a mistake. OB doing that is to me the first scratch/tarnish on the shiny new Head Coach. It's disconcerting watching the Texans cling to a guy who would probably be out of football this year if we didn't exist. It reeks of Kubiak hanging on the Schaub for far too long and that's not an association I expected to make with OB so quickly.

So what do you see being the solution to that oh so important position? Just keep throwing away years toiling away with unknowns and known mediocre guys? We can't keep waiting to draft Andrew Luck.

I don't think the QB position is as important on its own. I think it's a QB/HC (or OC) combination that's important. Brady without Bellichick is a bump in the road of NFL history. Brees without Payton is just a 2nd round pick. McNabb without Reid is Tony Romo.

Since I am not the HC/OC, it doesn't really matter what I think about the QBs in next years draft (you have your Peyton Mannings, John Elways, & Matthew Stafford types that will put up stats & some wins, but those guys are super rare) but it's up to O'Brien. If he doesn't feel good about the QBs in next years draft, I hope he passes.

If he likes a guy from a small school, or a less successful program..... Flacco, Roethlisberger, Cutler, then I'd rather he go that way.

Would you feel ok if Savage doesn't get many chances this year and we decide he's the QB of the future anyways?

That's how Bill Parcells & Sean Payton felt about Romo. He sat on the Cowboy's bench for three years before earning the back up job.... didn't throw a pass in the regular season.

But they had Drew Bledsoe & we have Fitz.

OB doing that is to me the first scratch/tarnish on the shiny new Head Coach. It's disconcerting watching the Texans cling to a guy who would probably be out of football this year if we didn't exist. It reeks of Kubiak hanging on the Schaub for far too long and that's not an association I expected to make with OB so quickly.
I'm OK with O'Brien bringing in Fitzpatrick. But if he's not getting it done, O'Brien needs to cut bait and go to plan B. If we're going to lose, I want to lose with a guy with some upside.

But...I don't want to lose.

For me it's just seems he was may more calculating in the way he went about picking this kid.... Lets look at it...

Had the opportunity to take what almost everyone thought was the best qb prospect on the board at qb in Bortles and he chose Clowney...can't really be mad at that..

I'm sure he had several opportunities to trade back into the 1st and get either JFF or TB...chose not to...

Still had the opportunity to snag other more highly touted qb prospects at the top of the 2nd in Carr and Garapolo... and opted for an o-lineman instead....

Yet he still didn't panic and take the next best prospect in McCarron, Murray Boyd or Thomas in the 3rd..

Now, sure you can boil some of that down to draft day jockeying and everything, but what it says to me is that he believes in this kid...probably more than most.....but he does recognize that he's gonna need some seasoning and time to learn....and after seeing his skills in TC and listening to him talk about his situation in the past up to now...i can definitely say i can see why BoB might feel that way about him.

The actual draft day value they placed on taking Savage may not have been that high (4th rounder) but i believe that BoB and co. bet big on Savage for this franchise's future.
I'm very happy with the draft, as of now, and I'm very glad that BO'B didn't pull the trigger just to say the Texans drafted a QB in round x instead of y. I'm very cool with the Savage pic. I trust BO'B to pick a QB much more than anyone on a message board ( no offense, peeps!).
I'm just scared to death of seeing DC 2.0. The more I think on it, though, this team is in a much better position to start a rookie QB than the 2002 team. I won't jump off the ledge if BO'B decides to start him, I guess.
:worldpeace:

I don't think the QB position is as important on its own. I think it's a QB/HC (or OC) combination that's important. Brady without Bellichick is a bump in the road of NFL history. Brees without Payton is just a 2nd round pick. McNabb without Reid is Tony Romo.

Since I am not the HC/OC, it doesn't really matter what I think about the QBs in next years draft (you have your Peyton Mannings, John Elways, & Matthew Stafford types that will put up stats & some wins, but those guys are super rare) but it's up to O'Brien. If he doesn't feel good about the QBs in next years draft, I hope he passes.

If he likes a guy from a small school, or a less successful program..... Flacco, Roethlisberger, Cutler, then I'd rather he go that way.

That's how Bill Parcells & Sean Payton felt about Romo. He sat on the Cowboy's bench for three years before earning the back up job.... didn't throw a pass in the regular season.

But they had Drew Bledsoe & we have Fitz.
Romo was an UFDA, also....not a lot of pressure or reason to fast track him to the starting lineup. He had to earn his way moreso than a day 1 or 2 draft pick would have to.

Ehh i could see a Nick Foles scenario where he comes in towards the end of this season after Fitz and Keenum have failed... and plays well & goes into 2015 as the incumbent. In that regard i don't think we would take a qb in the 1st but we probably take one in the 2nd just in case.

In that situation, I think we need another QB regardless. Not a high pick but someone that can sit down learn and has an upside...in case Savage fails the following season. I don't think going into next year w Savage as QB1 and Fitz/Keenum as QB2 would be ideal.

Romo was an UFDA, also....not a lot of pressure or reason to fast track him to the starting lineup. He had to earn his way moreso than a day 1 or 2 draft pick would have to.

True, but my point was that even though the Dallas area fans were wanting a QB, the Cowboys passed... well, they drafted Quincy Carter, then got Bledsoe & I think they pretty much said they were happy with Romo & weren't going to draft one before he threw a pass in the regular season.

Maybe in OB's mind Savage is the QB of the future.

That just makes me nervous as a fan. Especially if it comes down to passing up first round guys.
Geez dude... don't get Effin' hung up on the Godfrey Daniels round.
That's superficial.
See C. Kaepernick and R. Wilson. ...too a lesser extent Nick Foles... And I fear, one day, Garappolo...

but I digress.... Find a guy who fits what you want to do and teach him how to do it and hope he does it well; which is what I believe Belichick plans to do with Garappolo.
We will see whether it works or not.

Geez dude... don't get Effin' hung up on the Godfrey Daniels round.
That's superficial.
See C. Kaepernick and R. Wilson. ...too a lesser extent Nick Foles... And I fear, one day, Garappolo...

but I digress.... Find a guy who fits what you want to do and teach him how to do it and hope he does it well; which is what I believe Belichick plans to do with Garappolo.
We will see whether it works or not.

Those are kind of different situations...

Seattle had just signed Flynn to a nice deal.

San Fran had Alex Smith and Kaepernick could learn...

Patriots have Brady...

You have a highly coveted guy (at the time)...

a former #1 overall...

and a hall of famer...

I'd like to have one of those before we just hand the keys to Savage. At least someone better than Fitz and Keenum.

I'm just saying that I'm skeptical of that. OB may not be. He may indeed see Savage as the future. I'm a long for the ride....but I'm still a little weary if that's the deal...

I think it's not just a coach + QB thing.

I think it's the ability of the coach to scheme for the talent
he has.

By that, I mean if your GM drafts a kaepernick or RGIII you
need to change your scheme to be effective if you've had
a Brady or a Manning in the past.

Look at how different SF looked when Smith got injured -
it was like night and day.

I think if you expect to be hard-lined about running "your scheme"
only, then you had better be really damned good at evaluating
talent -and at the same time- hope that a guy that fits your
plan perfectly is available.

(I think that is what inevitably brought down Gary -- Schaub
just wasn't mobile enough after the LF injury to do what he
needed to do in Gary's system)

Honestly, look at it this way: Suppose we end up getting Mariota
next year -- or had drafted Johnny FF this year. Do you think that
what you saw out of camp and in the first preseason game gives
either of those two guys a chance to be optimally successful?

Because I don't

The thing that made Wilson successful in Seattle or RGIII a stud in
his first year was that the HC/OC scrapped the way they were doing
things and exploited the talent they had.

I saw it with the Texans last year. When Case went into the first
two games, and didn't have the time to absorb Gary's full playbook -
Kubiak changed the game plan to a shotgun/pistol with more of a
spread attack.

as the season progressed, and Gary tried to move back to his west
coast attack, Keenum started to look just like Schaub. In fact, if you
look at the statistics in the last few games where Matt played his
numbers are almost identical to Keenum's (perhaps even slightly worse).

I just hope BoB is aware of the fact that he can't "recruit" who he
wants at QB. He is going to have to make the best of what's available
in free agency or at our draft position.

If not, even getting folks like Mariota or Winston, or whoever - isn't
going to help.

going to help.

Yeah, I don't agree with that at all. I look at the way Shanahan moved up to get Cutler, then later moved up to get RG3. He saw what he thought was a franchise guy, or a possible franchise guy, assessed what he thought it was worth, then went up to get him.

He could have gave up the farm to move up to get Cutler in the top 5, but he didn't. He felt that Cutler would be available outside the top 10, so he waited.

He did not believe he could wait for RG3 to fall to him, he felt Griffin was worth an entire draft & he made it happen.

Same thing with Ted Thompson waiting for Aaron Rodgers to fall to him. If he does, great, if he doesn't, great.

Too much hype surrounding these kids. I'm glad they got the money thing "fixed" (would have been better if they did more to make sure the veteran players get it), now they need to get the hype fixed.

I'm with you on this. It seems like guys can either do it or they can't. We all watched the David Carr show from 2002-2006 and I'm pretty well convinced at this point that Carr was never going to be able to do it. Talk of the Texans breaking him just doesn't add up to me. I don't think he had the necessary mental element to be successful regardless. I'm leaning toward thinking that whether guys sit behind someone else or get thrown in right away doesn't really matter much for most QB's. Everyone can point to Steve Young and Aaron Rogers and say that they sat and learned but I think they would have been successful on any good team they landed on.

Just get him ready and send him out there to go get it.

They should be giving him or Keenum first team reps and preparing whichever one they choose to face the coming storm. Wasting time on Shitz is a mistake. OB doing that is to me the first scratch/tarnish on the shiny new Head Coach. It's disconcerting watching the Texans cling to a guy who would probably be out of football this year if we didn't exist. It reeks of Kubiak hanging on the Schaub for far too long and that's not an association I expected to make with OB so quickly.

I think the bolded line is the key to everything you've said, and the part y'all are overlooking. Young was awful on the Bucs. The Bucs were awful. If we never heard from Steve Young again, he would have gone down as a USFL star that never made it in the real league. Aikman was on a lousy team to start, but they got better all around him in a hurry. Plunkett's another example. That guy was suddenly good when he was put on a good team. The thing with Carr (and maybe Savage, Keenum, or whoever else you want to talk about) is the team around him never got better. Sure, he was part of it, but we'll never know how much. What we do know is no one on any of those teams ever went on to do crap except AJ. So the question is - will Savage/Keenum be any good on this team? And will this team be better than last year, so that he gets some support? Personally, I don't think so.

Still, I'd rather watch Savage and/or Keenum go 2-14 than Fitzpatrick. I don't think any of them will ever amount to much, but I also don't think throwing them out there on this team is going to somehow prove something. You put Aikman or Young on that 2002-2005 Texans team and he'd have been bad all four years, IMO. He would never have had the team get better around him like he did in reality. Hell, in Young's case, it really isn't even conjecture. He was on a comparable team, and he was bad to the tune of 3-19.

In another word, YOU think that OB already knows that Fitz sucks and that this is going to be a rebuilding year?

That OB knows it could potentially be a disastrous season like last year (more or less)?

Yes, OB already knows that Fitz sucks AND how he sucks; he already knows this is a rebuilding year. He EXPECTS it to be a disastrous season like last year.

I think OB wants to coach Savage up to a point where he won't get killed and then he wants to put him in to get experience for next season.

This season was written off a long time ago.

This is not the script I'd prefer but I think this is the intention.

Yes, OB already knows that Fitz sucks AND how he sucks; he already knows this is a rebuilding year. He EXPECTS it to be a disastrous season like last year.

I think OB wants to coach Savage up to a point where he won't get killed and then he wants to put him in to get experience for next season.

I don't know PN....

Godsey made a comment the other day about not slowing Case and Fitz down for Savage.

Something about not coaching down to Savage and hindering the progress of those guys and instead coaching up to them and having Savage play catch up.

Didn't sound like Savage was close...but who knows.....I'm excited to see how this all unfolds...

I don't know PN....

Godsey made a comment the other day about not slowing Case and Fitz down for Savage.

Something about not coaching down to Savage and hindering the progress of those guys and instead coaching up to them and having Savage play catch up.

Didn't sound like Savage was close...but who knows.....I'm excited to see how this all unfolds...

I never said I couldn't be wrong. :) I just said this is what I believe.

I don't know PN....

I either heard or read Godsey's comment but I've got a feeling that O'Brien knew coming in he didn't have the clay in his bucket that he could mold into much. Regardless of what McNair said, this is a rebuild and I'd be VERY SURPRISED if only takes one more season.

But then I'm a sunshine pumper so what do I know? Uh, strike that. Not so much anymore.

Show me the wins! :kingkong:

I think it's not just a coach + QB thing.

I think it's the ability of the coach to scheme for the talent
he has.

By that, I mean if your GM drafts a kaepernick or RGIII you
need to change your scheme to be effective if you've had
a Brady or a Manning in the past.

Look at how different SF looked when Smith got injured -
it was like night and day.

I think if you expect to be hard-lined about running "your scheme"
only, then you had better be really damned good at evaluating
talent -and at the same time- hope that a guy that fits your
plan perfectly is available.

(I think that is what inevitably brought down Gary -- Schaub
just wasn't mobile enough after the LF injury to do what he
needed to do in Gary's system)

Honestly, look at it this way: Suppose we end up getting Mariota
next year -- or had drafted Johnny FF this year. Do you think that
what you saw out of camp and in the first preseason game gives
either of those two guys a chance to be optimally successful?

Because I don't

The thing that made Wilson successful in Seattle or RGIII a stud in
his first year was that the HC/OC scrapped the way they were doing
things and exploited the talent they had.

I saw it with the Texans last year. When Case went into the first
two games, and didn't have the time to absorb Gary's full playbook -
Kubiak changed the game plan to a shotgun/pistol with more of a
spread attack.

as the season progressed, and Gary tried to move back to his west
coast attack, Keenum started to look just like Schaub. In fact, if you
look at the statistics in the last few games where Matt played his
numbers are almost identical to Keenum's (perhaps even slightly worse).

going to help.
According to PFF, Keenum actually ddid better under center than otherwise. I know. Blew my mind, too.

I'm confused about this "Godsey made a comment the other day about not slowing Case and Fitz down for Savage" comment when O'Brien has said that Keenum is SLIGHTLY ahead of Savage.

O'Brien: Keenum slightly ahead of Savage; LINK

"Right now I’d still say Case is a little bit ahead of Tom," O'Brien said. "I’d say Tom’s improving. I think Tom’s definitely improving. It’s a battle, it’s definitely a competitive battle, but Case is still slightly ahead of Tom."

"Right now I see it, as we stand here right now, I’d say one of those two will back up," he said.

The coaching down comment doesn't make much sense to me if one dude is slightly ahead of the other.

There is no hope whatsoever for Fitzpuke to make good in the NFL. That leaves us with Keenum or Savage or a QB to be named later. I'm still pinning my hopes on Keenum picking up and becoming Da Man. If not, it's Savage or next year (again).

I just hope we don't hold on to fitz longer than needed because BoB doesn't want to admit he made a mistake signing him.
after Washington cuts colt McCoy, I think we should scoop him up and dump fitz.

I just hope we don't hold on to fitz longer than needed because BoB doesn't want to admit he made a mistake signing him.

What makes you think McCoy would be successful in our system?

I don't think signing Fitzpatrick was a mistake. If he's thinking Fitzpatrick will be our starter & he's planning on trying to win with Fitzpatrick, that's the mistake.

If we're going to say, "if you can limit his mistakes, we can win games." Well, imo your chances of winning are better with Case & that same statement.

The only benefit I think Fitzpatrick brings is that he won't hurt you for 200+ yards on those mistakes he will make & that's a big one, in all honesty. That's the primary thing I have against going into the season with Case Keenum as my starter, but if the only other option is Fitzpatrick, then... it's something I'm willing to live with.

I don't think Keenum is the future of the Texans. I don't think Savage was drafted to be. But there's more of a chance that you'll stumble on something special with either of those two than with Fitzgerald. He is who he is right now. & yeah, I joked about Steve Young in another thread, but that's all that was, a joke.

I don't think signing Fitzpatrick was a mistake. If he's thinking Fitzpatrick will be our starter & he's planning on trying to win with Fitzpatrick, that's the mistake.

If we're going to say, "if you can limit his mistakes, we can win games." Well, imo your chances of winning are better with Case & that same statement.

The only benefit I think Fitzpatrick brings is that he won't hurt you for 200+ yards on those mistakes he will make & that's a big one, in all honesty. That's the primary thing I have against going into the season with Case Keenum as my starter, but if the only other option is Fitzpatrick, then... it's something I'm willing to live with.

I don't think Keenum is the future of the Texans. I don't think Savage was drafted to be. But there's more of a chance that you'll stumble on something special with either of those two than with Fitzgerald. He is who he is right now. & yeah, I joked about Steve Young in another thread, but that's all that was, a joke.

Who's Fitzgerald? The guy that started the live music venue? lol We'll get a better picture with all our guys when we see more play.

McCoy? goodness....add more problems to our Qb's.

I think Case working with the starters is significant. It may not mean anything but I think OB is at least taking a look at the possible situation.

It means a lot if the O-line continues to look like it did last week.
Fitz isn't the most mobile guy, and Savage has already had one on
field concussion test..

I think Case working with the starters is significant. It may not mean anything but I think OB is at least taking a look at the possible situation.

I don't think Keenum is a long term answer, but after watching Shitztastic on Saturday... Let's go Case!

Keenum chants will be rocking Reliant (or whatever the hell the name is now ... it will always be Reliant to me) ... that is if anyone shows up.

It means a lot if the O-line continues to look like it did last week.
Fitz isn't the most mobile guy, and Savage has already had one on
field concussion test..

Yeah because Keenum's mobility was a huge factor last season. Nothing like watching 20 yard sacks over and over again with a fumble or two on the goal line mixed in for good measure.

Yeah because Keenum's mobility was a huge factor last season. Nothing like watching 20 yard sacks over and over again with a fumble or two on the goal line mixed in for good measure.

more like this:

Keenum's mobility will most likely allow him to play every week.
If we rely only on Savage and Fitz, and the line doesn't improve --
we'll be signing Charlie Batch or Tim Tebow by week 8, etc...

I actually think that Case takes over at some point in the season
(due to injury) and plays fairly well. Enough that he ends up being
a long term solution at backup QB while a franchise guy gets drafted
next year -- or savage turns into that franchise guy

Bob likes to sell jerseys and keeping keenum as a reliable backup
would keep that revenue stream flowing..

I don't think Keenum is a long term answer, but after watching Shitztastic on Saturday... Let's go Case!

Keenum chants will be rocking Reliant (or whatever the hell the name is now ... it will always be Reliant to me) ... that is if anyone shows up.

more like this:

Keenum's mobility will most likely allow him to play every week.
If we rely only on Savage and Fitz, and the line doesn't improve --
we'll be signing Charlie Batch or Tim Tebow, etc...

Keenum is minisculely more mobile than Fitzgerald.

This is the week Keenum turns it on and becomes "Drew Brees II". I predict a pair of TD passes and people screaming for Case over Fitz from Saturday forward until OB relents and subsequently rides the Case Keenum train to legendary HC status and multiple Lombardi trophies.

:fans::shots::fans:

"Barkeep! Another round please!"

This is the week Keenum turns it on and becomes "Drew Brees II". I predict a pair of TD passes and people screaming for Case over Fitz from Saturday forward until OB relents and subsequently rides the Case Keenum train to legendary HC status and multiple Lombardi trophies.

Maaannn, you better stop drinking that stuff. If you keep tossing that stuff back it'll have you believing Janet Reno is a super model.
:)

Thorn didn't say, "smoke the mangoes".

Back