Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Case Keenum - Fan Pulse Check [UPDATE] Rams claim Case on waivers

Barring injuries, what is Keenum's future as a Texan this season?

• Total voters
#Shartweek.

It's not right. I have lived through Oliver Luck, Cody Carlson, Chris Chandler, Billy Joe Tolliver, Bucky Richardson, David Carr, Matt Schaub, and now Ryan Shitzpatrick?

Why does God hate me?

I've lived through all of them except Luck. Luck was a little before my time. I feel your pain though.

Been curious about the fanbase's feelings on Keenum.

Seems to still have some pretty loyal support here.

Barring injury, what do you think his future as a Texan is?

He is polarizing to say the least. Some people love him or hate him because he went to the University of Houston. This is entirely without looking at him as a pro ballplayer. To them, every mistake or good play only reinforces their starting bias. Trying to set this aside, I think he's an overwhelmed young QB making the mistakes typical of young QBs, but also showing promise.

But only a few who show promise even get a chance in the NFL. There is also an element of luck involved in most cases. I think he will get his opportunity in the near future and he will have to produce or move on to his next career.

He is polarizing to say the least. Some people love him or hate him because he went to the University of Houston. This is entirely without looking at him as a pro ballplayer. To them, every mistake or good play only reinforces their starting bias. Trying to set this aside, I think he's an overwhelmed young QB making the mistakes typical of young QBs, but also showing promise.

But only a few who show promise even get a chance in the NFL. There is also an element of luck involved in most cases. I think he will get his opportunity in the near future and he will have to produce or move on to his next career.

I don't wish for Case to fail. I just believe that he does not possess Franchise QB tangibles. If we want a placeholder on a 4-12 team until next year's draft or Savage's improvement, he is just as good an option as Fitz. But he is never going to be The Guy for this team. OB saw all the tape he wanted to on this kid from his half a season of starting and STILL brought in Fitz to be the starting QB.

But the backup QB is always the most popular, especially when he is a local boy. Had he gone to Boise State, they would have wanted him gone with Kubiak, Schaub and Yates.

I don't wish for Case to fail. I just believe that he does not possess Franchise QB tangibles. If we want a placeholder on a 4-12 team until next year's draft or Savage's improvement, he is just as good an option as Fitz. But he is never going to be The Guy for this team. OB saw all the tape he wanted to on this kid from his half a season of starting and STILL brought in Fitz to be the starting QB.

But the backup QB is always the most popular, especially when he is a local boy. Had he gone to Boise State, they would have wanted him gone with Kubiak, Schaub and Yates.

I dont think that is fair on Case tbh. The old coaching staff is gone for a reason and it is not because they put us in the best position to win. Same goes for them not putting players in the best position to be successful.

I believe case could be a starter in this league with the right scheme. He has the (want to and the arm) now it is up to our coach to put him in the best position to succeed.

I dont think that is fair on Case tbh. The old coaching staff is gone for a reason and it is not because they put us in the best position to win. Same goes for them not putting players in the best position to be successful.

I believe case could be a starter in this league with the right scheme. He has the (want to and the arm) now it is up to our coach to put him in the best position to succeed.

I guess the point I am making is that OB seems to be of the mindset of finding a QB for his scheme, not vice versa. I have no desire to debate whether or not Case can/will/should be a starter in the NFL given the perfect scheme for his skillsets. What I can say is that all of OB's action point to zero confidence in Case being The Guy (or even The Guy To Bridge The Gap To The Guy) in the scheme he wants to implement:

1. Bring in journeyman and name him starter well before training camp starts

2. Not ONE mention about Case pushing Fitz for the starter role

3. Stating that Case was slightly ahead of a third string rookie

In the end, regardless of all our opinions on this message board, all that matters is what OB thinks. And right now they don't look promising for Case.

Well, we saw Marc Sanchez have success in this league with the right team around him & coaching that took advantage of it. However, the Jets couldn't maintain their dominant run game & they asked their QB to step up & he couldn't do it.

Keenum was put in several situations, everything was "right" for him in the first half, but come the 3rd qtr when he needed to step up, he disappeared. I like Keenum, but game after game, it was the same thing. It wasn't that the other team mixed it up, they were doing the same thing over & over and Case never overcame it.

There's only so much you can do. Now, the word out of camp is that he's slow to pick things up, slow to get the offense ready for the snap, slow to adjust to new looks.....

I know the deck is stacked against him, but this coaching staff put Fitzpatrick in front of him. I'd have expected to hear glowing reports about Keenum's progress by now, but all we've got so far is that he's "slightly ahead of" our 4th round pick who's had a spotty career.

Slightly ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Case more than any other QB on our roster right now. Just don't seem like he's holding up his end of the deal.

I apologize for nothing in the case of "Shitzpatrick vs Common Decency". Sometimes the crude words are the best words for the situation or the statement. They convey exactly what I think of his performance in exactly the way I want to say it.

Think whatever you will of me. It matters not one bit.

I apologize for nothing in the case of "Shitzpatrick vs Common Decency". Sometimes the crude words are the best words for the situation or the statement. They convey exactly what I think of his performance in exactly the way I want to say it.

Well, I think you're the Shitz!

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt

0.jpg

If you're thinking of getting our next QB on the waiver wire, to get that QB up to snuff in the system by starting the education process mid preseason or later, is highly unlikely to happen...........with success.

No, was going off the theory that BB will cut Mallett and O'Brien pick him up on waivers. I know it is not likely to happen, nor do I want it to happen. Just asking if it were to happen would Texans get dibs.

Personally I think we should have kept Schaub one more season, but some fans felt like running him out of town was the best thing to do, and now, while I can't speak for others, I know I am wishing we had him back. He certainly looked tons better in his Raiders debut than Fitztragic did in ours. Especially if there had not been all of those easy catches dropped.

I don't know why people are still sitting by the phone for Mallett.

Our current QB'S have had a dozen practices in the system while
Mallett has had _3 years_ with an o-line, backs and receivers built
around it -- and looked not much better..

Personally I think we should have kept Schaub one more season, but some fans felt like running him out of town was the best thing to do, and now, while I can't speak for others, I know I am wishing we had him back. He certainly looked tons better in his Raiders debut than Fitztragic did in ours. Especially if there had not been all of those easy catches dropped.

No he didn't. David Carr threw for less than 5 yards per attempt, he was off target most of the night & he threw an INT, yet there's still "rumor" that he's pushing for the starting job.

In other words, Schaub looked worse.

There was a time when Schaub was worth defending, when he wasn't as bad as "we" said he was, but that time has passed. I defended him at the end of the 2012 season, I figured he earned the right to start for another season, but after what he did last year..... sorry. It's time for a change of scenery for Matt Schaub.

It took Carson Palmer three years to be able to play this game again, I hope it doesn't take that long for Matt, but I do not want him figuring it out in Steel Blue.

I don't know why people are still sitting by the phone for Mallett.

Our current QB'S have had a dozen practices in the system while
Mallett has had _3 years_ with an o-line, backs and receivers built
around it -- and looked not much better..

Mallet's not been called upon or had to be, the starting QB since drafted because Brady has been healthy. O'Brian has familiarity & knows well what he is capable of. He is very much in the mold of Brady in terms of size, limited mobility with strong arm. One would expect he has learned a lot from Tom & knows the Belichick system well. Word I heard is that BB did not trade him because he likes his development & feels like if something happens to Brady he can run the Patriot offense. He drafted Garappolo just a couple picks in front of Texans 3rd round selection, to develop, behind Mallet. So far they really like him, he has the quickest release of the group & better mobility than Tom or Ryan, he also process information well for rookie so promising, not sure fast enough this early in season to trade Mallet but sure as hell he wouldn't cut Mallet that is ridiculous, unfounded Shitz!!!!!

all fitz has to do is continue his terrible decisions and throw more picks and keenum just has to play like he did last year in the pre-season (which he did great imo).

I really want Fitz to work but he looks so slow compared to Keenum. It's all hard to judge because Keenum didn't really play much but he still looked more poised and quicker and more in control for the limited time he played.

We need to see more games. I don't care if it's pre-season, this is the worse I've seen any team play in a pre-season.

Schaub is done. End of story. No need to carry more drama.

Keenum was put in several situations, everything was "right" for him in the first half, but come the 3rd qtr when he needed to step up, he disappeared. I like Keenum, but game after game, it was the same thing. It wasn't that the other team mixed it up, they were doing the same thing over & over and Case never overcame it.

There's only so much you can do. Now, the word out of camp is that he's slow to pick things up, slow to get the offense ready for the snap, slow to adjust to new looks.....

Disappeared? hard to appear when everything seemed like a penalty and he barely got any snaps. not his fault blue and griffin missed their catches too. all in all, the whole offense sucked.

Some people believe we are "fascinated" by these words.

The truth is that they are JUST WORDS.

[IMGwidthsize=300]http://www.whatevo.com/media/posts/honest-and-trustworthy.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:
I only use the same language that a JR high football coach used for me. I feel it's appropriate for a board dedicated to football discussion.

Disappeared? hard to appear when everything seemed like a penalty and he barely got any snaps. not his fault blue and griffin missed their catches too. all in all, the whole offense sucked.

I don't get this line of thinking. Johnny Football apologists use this all the time.

"A&M didn't lose because of Johnny, they lost because of defense, or penalties, or..."

QB's don't get the luxury of pointing at everyone else who didn't get the job done as to why they didn't get their own job done. They are judged on the whole, not just their part in the whole. May not be fair, but every QB in the league has to deal with it. Not sure why Case needs an exemption to that.

I don't get this line of thinking. Johnny Football apologists use this all the time.

"A&M didn't lose because of Johnny, they lost because of defense, or penalties, or..."

QB's don't get the luxury of pointing at everyone else who didn't get the job done as to why they didn't get their own job done. They are judged on the whole, not just their part in the whole. May not be fair, but every QB in the league has to deal with it. Not sure why Case needs an exemption to that.

Only morons blame the QB for everything thats wrong with the team.

As far as Case goes.. He didn't really get a shot to do anything with all the holding penalties and limited playing time.. Same goes for Savage. And as far as J.M. A&M did lose because of their defense.. You only had to watch a few games to see that the defense was atrocious.

This kinda reminds me of the pre-draft QB discussion. A higher draft pick always has a longer leash than a lower draft pick. Being undrafted, he's pretty lucky to have stuck this long and must've shown something on film and the practice field.

BTW, I'm neither for nor against Case. I just want the best players on the field.

All our QBs stink.

I mean, seriously? A delay of game on the 1st play of the 2nd half?
OB said this was on him. He obviously was doing something on the sidelines without realizing time was being used up and which then caused the delay of game.

I'm talking about him disappearing last year in the third qtr. Everything was "right" for Keenum in the first half, then in the third qtr..... all of a sudden the OL wasn't good enough, the run game wasn't good enough, the play calling wasn't good enough, the receivers weren't good enough...

This wasn't just a keenum problem -- This was a Gary predictability
problem.

year after year I watch the Texans start off hot, and fizzle out at
the end of the game. (think Rosencopter)

I just don't think that Gary could decisively make an adjustment
during the game without a break and a discussion with the players
and staff (halftime, etc.)

In fact, "adjustment" was never something I associated with Gary.
and that really became evident last year when other team's
DB's starting calling us out on it.

If BoB is such a great "multiple" guy (and he is our OC) then I expect
this to change. I expect ALL of our QB's/RB's/etc to stay hot if they
start out hot..

Look at scoring by quarter in 2011 (this was arguably our best team ever)
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2011.htm
Start out hot -- taper off..

I'm talking about him disappearing last year in the third qtr. Everything was "right" for Keenum in the first half, then in the third qtr..... all of a sudden the OL wasn't good enough, the run game wasn't good enough, the play calling wasn't good enough, the receivers weren't good enough...

I don't worry too much.
if Keenum is good enough, he will make it.
If he's nof then he should carve out his living as an NFL backup QB (no shame in it, really.)

As an UDFA guy, he's in a good position to prove himself.
If he isnt good enough, he isnt good enough.

So be it.

I think he was thinking to much and instead of trying to win the game he was trying not to lose the game

I don't care about manziel. how many penalties were called? did you watch the game. like 5-6 penalties? you have to be blind not to account a lot of that. we'll see more when case plays more than a quarter.

I mean, we'll see. But I think he's going to be cut at some point during this season and we'll never see him in a Texan's uni again.

I'm half expecting him to be gone by game 1.

Honestly, I wonder why you guys think that Savage will beat out Keenum during pre-season?
Are you banking on savage being drafted by OB?
I can't think of any other reason.

Honestly, I wonder why you guys think that Savage will beat out Keenum during pre-season?
Are you banking on savage being drafted by OB?
I can't think of any other reason.

I think OB's plan all along was to draft either Savage or Garoppolo as his QB and to have him as the eventual starter and Fitzpatrick as a backup/mentor.

I think Keenum at this point is a camp body who'll only be kept on if Savage doesn't develop as expected. That doesn't mean that Savage is going to be expected to start Game 1 (although I think they'd be happy if he was ready for that) but I think the plan is to have Savage starting before the end of the season.

If Keenum had been able to pick up the offense and show a complete command of it and an ability to do the things OB wanted, I don't think OB would have been averse to Keenum taking over the starting role. But I don't think Keenum has done anything to make OB want to keep him around (although I do think Keenum did enough to keep him over TJ.)

Now. That's just what I think and doesn't mean that's what's really going on but there you are.

I think OB's plan all along was to draft either Savage or Garoppolo as his QB and to have him as the eventual starter and Fitzpatrick as a backup/mentor.

I think Keenum at this point is a camp body who'll only be kept on if Savage doesn't develop as expected. That doesn't mean that Savage is going to be expected to start Game 1 (although I think they'd be happy if he was ready for that) but I think the plan is to have Savage starting before the end of the season.

If Keenum had been able to pick up the offense and show a complete command of it and an ability to do the things OB wanted, I don't think OB would have been averse to Keenum taking over the starting role. But I don't think Keenum has done anything to make OB want to keep him around (although I do think Keenum did enough to keep him over TJ.)

Now. That's just what I think and doesn't mean that's what's really going on but there you are.

Who knows what OB thought of Garappolo but that's otherwise how I see it. I've always expected Savage to start at some point this season absent some Fitz run on a cinderella season.

I think Savage starts day one next season.

I think he might start at some point this season if we fall out of contention.

I don't expect Keenum to start unless Fitzpatrick gets injured in the first half of the season.

No he didn't. David Carr threw for less than 5 yards per attempt, he was off target most of the night & he threw an INT, yet there's still "rumor" that he's pushing for the starting job.

In other words, Schaub looked worse.

There was a time when Schaub was worth defending, when he wasn't as bad as "we" said he was, but that time has passed. I defended him at the end of the 2012 season, I figured he earned the right to start for another season, but after what he did last year..... sorry. It's time for a change of scenery for Matt Schaub.

It took Carson Palmer three years to be able to play this game again, I hope it doesn't take that long for Matt, but I do not want him figuring it out in Steel Blue.

That's nonsense. We both know rumors are not started by teams. That is the media and they have been banging that drum since the draft. The team itself just confirmed that Schaub will be getting ALL of the first team reps from here on out, so where does that leave your rumor?

I watched the game, and Schaub looked like the old Schaub to me. Meaning the pre 2013 Schaub. Timing is off with the WR's a little and they can't catch very well, but Schaub looked good to me, and surely anyone could see he looked light years better than Fitzpatrick did. If you deny that, you have bought into the media bashing of Schaub after one bad season. I still say the Raiders got a steal and will come out on the winning side of that deal. Time will tell.

Carr looked, well, like a rookie to me. Nothing to write home about at all. Schaub is the season starter, there is no question. Whether he can find his mojo again or not is anyone's guess, but to compare him to what happened to Palmer is nonsense. He will either sink or swim, and I am betting on the latter.

Schaub is done. End of story. No need to carry more drama.

Thanks for your input. I'll be sure to check with you next time I post to see if it's ok.

Who knows what OB thought of Garappolo but that's otherwise how I see it. I've always expected Savage to start at some point this season absent some Fitz run on a cinderella season.

I think Savage starts day one next season.

I think he might start at some point this season if we fall out of contention.

I don't expect Keenum to start unless Fitzpatrick gets injured in the first half of the season.
What are y'all seeing that I'm missing about Savage starting at some point this season? All I've read and seen is Fitz getting starters reps, Keenum getting back up reps and Savage getting whatever scraps are left over ( a lot less than the other 2).

I don't care who's where in the pecking order, as long as it's earned, but I also don't want an inexperienced kid to get thrown to the wolves. It seems to me that BO'B would be getting Savage more than garbage time reps if his master plan was to ease him into the starting lineup later in the season. Once the season starts, his reps, as a 3rd stringer, will virtually disappear, unless they use him to run the scout team. Even then, he's running someone else's offense and not learning BO'Bs.

You're spot on.

If Savage comes in at any point in the season, as an inexperienced rookie, he's going to be blitzed heavily, just as he was Saturday and just as Keenum was last year.

I think Fitz was given extra time to prove that he does bring something to the table & he was well on his way to securing his spot on the roster until he threw that pick. The last one.

I think Keenum is going to win the starting job, even though OB says there is no competition & they're going to cut Fitz. All $3.5M worth (or $4M, whatever it is).

Or maybe that's just what I'd like to happen, hard to tell right now. So many emotions.

It's going to be Fitz all season. BoB is exactly the same cat
as Gary was. He's going to roll with his guy come hell or high
water.

The "competition" crap was nonsense from the get go...

I think Fitz was given extra time to prove that he does bring something to the table & he was well on his way to securing his spot on the roster until he threw that pick. The last one.

I think Keenum is going to win the starting job, even though OB says there is no competition & they're going to cut Fitz. All $3.5M worth (or $4M, whatever it is).

Or maybe that's just what I'd like to happen, hard to tell right now. So many emotions.
IMHO, I just don't see that happening. They already owe him the money, so might as well keep him on the roster and inactive on game days, if BO'B thinks Savage has progressed enough to be Case's back up. :cowboy1:

In another word, YOU think that OB already knows that Fitz sucks and that this is going to be a rebuilding year?

That OB knows it could potentially be a disastrous season like last year (more or less)?

So he's preparing to have Savage start some time during the season simply because this is a guy that he hand-picked.

I mean, when you watch his college tape, this is a guy who can do well when he's not pressured, just like Mallett and many other good college QBs.
If he can learn to handle those situations, his tangibles will give him a chance to be successful.

But you think that OB can teach him to do that in a short off-season such that Case is easily replaceable, and get cut before the season starts?

Right now, personally, I think OB would be better off coaching up Fitz and Keenum to win some games.
A 2-4 start (quite possible) with Fitz will certainly bring a lot of criticism from the natives, maybe even boo birds.

Ya think it's OB's plan all along so that he can start Savage?

I do like your fiction writing, TPN, but I don't think this is a script you want to write, do you?

Under what scenarios would you be ok with us NOT drafting a QB early in the draft next year?

Under which scenario would you rule out drafting a QB early in the draft?

Thinking of scenarios, it seems like every option involves an unlikely scenario.

OB is in a funny situation here with his QB's. I mean...He can believe that Savage is the eventual replacement. He can hang his hat on that 4th round guy...But from my perspective as a fan, we don't have a definitive QB of the future on the roster. Just a bunch of question marks.

I find it unlikely that all the question marks about Savage will be answered by the end of the season. OB is in a difficult position with Savage if he thinks he's the eventual starter...From a public relations perspective...Not that he should care...

But if our QB position looks like mediocre scrap heap stuff this season and he doesn't take a QB early in the draft because he believes Savage is the guy, that will set a lot of people off. Maybe myself included.

Under what scenarios would you be ok with us NOT drafting a QB early in the draft next year?

I'm dreading the possibility of us drafting for a QB next season. I don't like Mariota, I don't like Winstons, I don't know this Bryce Petty dude.

If O'Brien doesn't like any of the QBs I hope he doesn't draft one.

Thinking of scenarios, it seems like every option involves an unlikely scenario.

Only way we don't draft a QB is...league folds, team moves, WWIII. That's about it. Unless Savage magically turns into the 2nd coming and even then I'd probably draft another QB.

I'm dreading the possibility of us drafting for a QB next season. I don't like Mariota, I don't like Winstons, I don't know this Bryce Petty dude.

If O'Brien doesn't like any of the QBs I hope he doesn't draft one.

So what do you see being the solution to that oh so important position? Just keep throwing away years toiling away with unknowns and known mediocre guys? We can't keep waiting to draft Andrew Luck.

Only way we don't draft a QB is...league folds, team moves, WWIII. That's about it. Unless Savage magically turns into the 2nd coming and even then I'd probably draft another QB.

How could we know that with Fitz and Keenum on the roster ahead of him?

Would you feel ok if Savage doesn't get many chances this year and we decide he's the QB of the future anyways?

I understand that OB is trying to win, but McNair and Rick Smith should have forced him to make a more definitive plan at QB.

Back