Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
O'Brien has positioned himself as the tyrant of the Houston Texans ... he's ran off Texan greats, he's gotten the last GM fired and apparently Cal McNair is too big of a pushover to regain control and put his own imprint on the team. The hits and misses in personnel ALL go back to OBrien. Gaine is just a puppet that does whatever OBrien tells him to.

O'Brien has positioned himself as the tyrant of the Houston Texans ... he's ran off Texan greats, he's gotten the last GM fired and apparently Cal McNair is too big of a pushover to regain control and put his own imprint on the team. The hits and misses in personnel ALL go back to OBrien. Gaine is just a puppet that does whatever OBrien tells him to.

And then he sucks at his actual job, which is coaching an offense

Whats wrong with these signings? Gipson has pretty much the same numbers or even slightly better than Mathieu. Roby may not be a household name but he’s not the trash they trot out there on sundays opposite JJo. These two are pretty solid players we got for cheap. Free Agency isn’t over, and we still have the draft coming up. No need to run around screaming with your arms waving in the air.

I didn't want a bunch of FA additions, just a couple of impact FA additions and keeping there own FA's within reason, say HB or KJax but not both.

Instead the signed Bradley f'n Roby and Gipson.

There's a big difference between signing a bunch of FA'S and spending $$$$ on a couple of impact FA's. Why didn't Gaine/BOB just come out and say, we aren't signing any FA's that cost $$$$ but we're going to really try to sign a couple of FA's like Robey/Gipson on the cheap and let the fans know this was their plan before season ticketholder renewals? I can tell you why, they didn't want to let their fans know they were going to be cheapasses until they got the fans $$$$ in the bank.

Gipson was a good signing. We lost HB, and got him for cheaper. I don't even know that HB is better either. They're still screwed at CB for now though. And of course they weren't going to make any splash level moves or anything like that. They're the Texans.

Im all for burning down the secondary and rebuilding it around Justin Reid and JJo. Reid for the youth and talent and JJo for the vet presence.

Our secondary has been torched the past two seasons by good-to-great QB's...and a few rookies too. KJack, KJo and HB were all part of that at one time or another. We have had trouble with TE's and TY Hilton, and the solution wasn't in-house. Hopefully the remake isnt a bust and we go to the outhouse...again.

Whats wrong with these signings? Gipson has pretty much the same numbers or even slightly better than Mathieu. Roby may not be a household name but he’s not the trash they trot out there on sundays opposite JJo. These two are pretty solid players we got for cheap. Free Agency isn’t over, and we still have the draft coming up. No need to run around screaming with your arms waving in the air.

A downgrade.

Go over to the Broncos boards and see what they think of Roby. If they really believed in Roby they would've spent the money to sign him to a long term contract. Roby is nothing more than a stopgap just like HB was last yr.

Houston Texans org = team stopgap. How do you feel about this?

A downgrade.

Go over to the Broncos boards and see what they think of Roby. If they really believed in Roby they would've spent the money to sign him to a long term contract. Roby is nothing more than a stopgap just like HB was last yr.

Houston Texans org = team stopgap. How do you feel about this?

Signing Roby is risk/reward IMHO. Two good years...one average year...one not-so-good year (last year). If I remember he was also dealing with an injury last year. He's fast, so we are less likely to see him trying to chase down receivers and mugging them for a PI. Theres that at least...

$25M of that this year will go to Clowney if they keep him. Then the next couple years you have Watson, Fuller, Cunningham, Mercilus, Miller, Joseph, Martin at least. They have to pay their draft picks too.

Not really- the next couple years they will get Joseph, Miller, Mercilus off their books- none of those guys will be re-signed and none of those guys are difference-makers at this point in their careers.

$25M of that this year will go to Clowney if they keep him. Then the next couple years you have Watson, Fuller, Cunningham, Mercilus, Miller, Joseph, Martin at least. They have to pay their draft picks too.

Miller, Joseph, and Martin will be gone. Probably clowney bolts to. Mercy better start getting sacks if he wants $. Fuller is injury prone and needs to prove more before planning a year in advance.

Watson. Maybe Clowney. Not concerned about much else. Cap bumps every year.

Miller, Joseph, and Martin will be gone. Probably clowney bolts to. Mercy better start getting sacks if he wants $. Fuller is injury prone and needs to prove more before planning a year in advance.

Watson. Maybe Clowney. Not concerned about much else. Cap bumps every year.

Apparently there is uncertainty what the cap will be after 2021 or around then. So teams are hesitant to have a lot of salary past that.

I'm not big on FA. At the same time, I don't believe we can wait around until our draft picks pan out. I can understand not going after Trent Brown. I can understand not going after Leveon Bell (though I disagree with it).

But if the best we're going to do is Tashon Gipson... may be the for the pink soap.

I know it's not over yet. But the sun is going down.

I'm not big on FA. At the same time, I don't believe we can wait around until our draft picks pan out. I can understand not going after Trent Brown. I can understand not going after Leveon Bell (though I disagree with it).

But if the best we're going to do is Tashon Gipson... may be the for the pink soap.

I know it's not over yet. But the sun is going down.

There are still some differencemakers out there that should come cheaper now, but still not cheap.

I would give the Texans a break if their strategy was to add Tevin Coleman/Claiborne/Verrett and then draft OL/OL/OL/OL/OL.

LOL

Last edited:
This guy from clutchfans was on it from the beginning

If you want to know the truth here is a snippet of what actually is the mindset of management and ownership of the texans: BOB and Gaine want to win badly. Cal wants a winner. Is he ok if they dont win? Yes. It doesnt obsess him like it does successful owners and he got this from his dad.

The problem they have is from top to bottom and it has to do with pride. From BOB to Gaine to Ownership, they believe that they know better than most in the NFL about how to build a winner. I am unsure where their high opinions of themselves stems from but this is 100% how they feel and why they continue to make perplexing decisions and face no repercussions.

So yes, I know many of us are frustrated, but when you understand the mindset of those in leadership roles, you begin to understand why they have never won and it will take monumental changes in mindset from the top down to change the cycle that currently envelops them.

The proof is in the pudding. I am not somebody important. I just happen to know someone that is somewhat clued in and has interacted with many in the front office numerous times. They have relayed to me some of the conversations that have occurred in that building. If only you knew just how much they impact local radio stations to determine the talking points you would be shocked. There are a few that want nothing to do with them amd have been better served in doing so.

Im sorry that this feels gloomy but I just want to level with you guys about the true state of the team we love. They have terrible pride in their rules that they have set themselves. Not negotiating in season is one that is not only outdated but has been proven not to have the impact they think it does. They are dug in to what they believe is the right direction and it will take monumental failure for multiple consecutive years on top of a possible, and i hate to say it because it sounds like conspiracy, the sale of the team.

In short, expect the status quo until ownership changes. As long as the money is coming in and the seats are sold, there wont be any changes that would make this franchise resemble competency.

Talking about a one year deal:

Not in their plans. They will more likely look for a younger or drafted player for wr depth. Keep eyes on the trade market. Ive heard they arent turning calls away for Clowney, whatever that means. I doubt they trade him but i think they be tempted by the deal that got mack. Otherwise, from here its only going to be guys that have been surprise cuts, backups, rookies, maybe a trade. Bare in mind, Gaine is from the Parcels tree. He wants picks. Quantity

I am sorry but unfortunately this is the hand we are dealt. They believe they know better than everyone else in the game and couple that with a non aggressive approach at the wrong times and aggressively pursuing overrated talent in desperation once they realize they have made a mistake. Unfortunately, these are their true colors.

This is the most likely plan atm tbh. I tried to warn people this team is going cheap and bargain hunting.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?members/whenitsover.62885/

This whole "Texans are Cheap" mantra is getting old and simply false. By simply looking at available cap space, since 2011, the Texans have been below average EVERY season except for last season. (sportrac doesn't have figures earlier than 2011, sorry) .

The only reasonable argument you can make is Brian Gaine is cheap, but claiming the McNairs are cheap is simply false, because historically they have continuously been spending near the salary cap.

This whole "Texans are Cheap" mantra is getting old and simply false. By simply looking at available cap space, since 2011, the Texans have been below average EVERY season except for last season. (sportrac doesn't have figures earlier than 2011, sorry) .

The only reasonable argument you can make is Brian Gaine is cheap, but claiming the McNairs are cheap is simply false, because historically they have continuously been spending near the salary cap.

Near 89%

2018 90%
2017 94.4%
2016 96.9%
2015 98.9%

Good God

The former GM was terrible.

Rather than what they're currently doing, they need to figure out a away to be players in FA. If that means trading Clowney/Miller and getting picks while freeing up cap $$$$ then that should be job #1.

Why is it all of the good teams like the Eagles/Saints/Chiefs/Rams etc... have been able to make FA moves and the Texans always come up with we're up against the cap excuse?

If other teams can do this and the Texans cant then somebody needs to be fired. You gotta stay up with the times in this modern NFL or you get left behind.

Last edited:
Good God

Rather than what they're currently doing, they need to figure out a away to be players in FA. If that means trading Clowney/Miller and getting picks while freeing up cap $$$$ then that should be job #1.

Why is it all of the good teams like the Eagles/Saints/Chiefs/Rams etc... have been able to make FA moves and the Texans always come up with we're up against the cap excuse?

If other teams can do this and the Texans cant then somebody needs to be fired. You gotta stay up with the times in this modern NFL or you get left behind.
You’ll have to ask Brian Gaine on why he’s not making the FA moves you wish they did.

The point of my post is the Texans have shown they’re more than willing to spend money.

Good God

This issue never had anything to do with how the team spent money in FA.....this quandary has been created by 16 years of piss-poor drafts. Sure, like a blind squirrel, thet've found some hidden acorns but not enough based on their good to best draft positions over the years. They'd truly be in cap hell if they tried to fill all the holes on the roster through FA versus finding, nailing and coaching up draft picks. Gaine had a very good draft....the team, at the moment doesn't have staff that can effectively execute the coaching up of this group nor is there a system in place to take advantage of the strengths of these players. Bottom line, Gaine has to have another solid draft in order to set the table for a new coaching staff if Cal and Gaine realize that this would be their next big move.

Clean the slate is my choice b/c I'm fairly certain there's no way to plug the holes in a manner to make this team, AFCG or SB worthy.......just good enough to bury the draft opportunities so Gaine might be given several of the same opportunities given RS.

This issue never had anything to do with how the team spent money in FA.....this quandary has been created by 16 years of piss-poor drafts. Sure, like a blind squirrel, thet've found some hidden acorns but not enough based on their good to best draft positions over the years. They'd truly be in cap hell if they tried to fill all the holes on the roster through FA versus finding, nailing and coaching up draft picks. Gaine had a very good draft....the team, at the moment doesn't have staff that can effectively execute the coaching up of this group nor is there a system in place to take advantage of the strengths of these players. Bottom line, Gaine has to have another solid draft in order to set the table for a new coaching staff if Cal and Gaine realize that this would be their next big move.

Clean the slate is my choice b/c I'm fairly certain there's no way to plug the holes in a manner to make this team, AFCG or SB worthy.......just good enough to bury the draft opportunities so Gaine might be given several of the same opportunities given RS.

BOB isn't going anywhere unless the bottom falls out.

Would Watson breaking his neck qualify?

Yes, and it very well could happen.

But if BOB is able to finish around .500 with a backup QB then he's going to be here a lot longer than what's good for the franchise.

If Cletus only cared.

Hopefully Gaine already has a couple of guys in mind once Assjaw inevitably pisses away another season with his mediocrity.

Hopefully Gaine already has a couple of guys in mind once Assjaw inevitably pisses away another season with his mediocrity.

Just remember, training camp means absolutely nothing. It's like a pawn BO'b used to set up the rest of the NFL.

He'll get them all thinking one thing, then switch it all up... weeks 1-3 will look like there's no cohesive plan.

He does it every year.

Genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back