Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no change to the OTs in free agency and no change to the RBs at all. Good or bad?

I mean what was he suppose to say? He acknowledged the depth of tackles in the draft and the lack of depth in free agency, which we all know to be true. He can't speak on specific players in free agency because thats tampering, all he can speak on really is players on our roster

I mean what was he suppose to say? He acknowledged the depth of tackles in the draft and the lack of depth in free agency, which we all know to be true. He can't speak on specific players in free agency because thats tampering, all he can speak on really is players on our roster

I'm not saying he has to say anything, just the reality of the situation that they are standing pat apparently

Well they have to replace Blue as things currently stand.

Youre right. Sounds like they might. He didn't mention blue.

Although he said he likes the current composition of the depth chart and will evaluate the draft. No mention of free agency

Tweet from @SOTTexans: #Texans GM Brian Gaine on Lamar Miller, D’Onta Foreman and the running back situation heading to 2019. https://t.co/rD0ekiOtNF

Between comments from Gaine and BOB, it seems like they haven't a care in the world vis-a-vis the offensive line. Blase. Non-plussed. Nonchalant. Unconcerned. Pick your word.

Planning for Henderson to stay healthy and be a stalwart is complete folly. The same can be said of any plan to keep Davenport in place at LT.

The fans are running around with their hair on fire because the ship hit the iceberg and these two are playing shuffleboard, drinking pina colada's and talking about the sunset.

To say that I have no confidence in this regime to put a freaking fix together for this line and this team as a whole is an understatement.

Between comments from Gaine and BOB, it seems like they haven't a care in the world vis-a-vis the offensive line. Blase. Non-plussed. Nonchalant. Unconcerned. Pick your word.

Planning for Henderson to stay healthy and be a stalwart is complete folly. The same can be said of any plan to keep Davenport in place at LT.

The fans are running around with their hair on fire because the ship hit the iceberg and these two are playing shuffleboard, drinking pina colada's and talking about the sunset.

To say that I have no confidence in this regime to put a freaking fix together for this line and this team as a whole is an understatement.

He did say the draft has good tackles up and down. But yeah, kinda nonchalant. A rookie is unlikely to start or even play much unless he's a very high pick

We’re optimistic that Foreman will return to full health."-#Texans GM Brian Gaine on RB D’Onta Foreman, who rehabbed in 2018 from an Achilles injury.

Gaine says that they want a RB by committee but called Lamar Miller a 3-down back and optimistic on Foreman’s return to full health for 2019. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) February 28, 2019

I agree LM can be stopped with arm tackles and ineffectiveness running up the middle all 3 downs

edit: forgot the :kitten:

Newsflash: A professional GM is not going to stand up on a national stage "you all know our f'ing OT suck hairy balls. We are going to overpay for the highest ranked free agent and draft the highest ranked guys in both round 1 and 2. And while I am at it, those old slow ass CB are going to be replaced."

They're playing the game. No more Bob McNair saying "we have to have a QB!!!", "We have to have a WR!!!". They're not fooling anyone about the OL need. But they have to show their poker face.

Newsflash: A professional GM is not going to stand up on a national stage "you all know our f'ing OT suck hairy balls. We are going to overpay for the highest ranked free agent and draft the highest ranked guys in both round 1 and 2. And while I am at it, those old slow ass CB are going to be replaced."

Sure it's not going to happen

But it would be great theatre if it did.

I stil LOL at Arians when a reporter asked him if he wished he would've called a different play than Peterson running off tackle on a 4th and 1 against the Texans and Arians responded that he called the right play the OL just stunk.

Reactions: Max
At least freaking acknowledge that the pile of dog **** everyone sees isn't really just a piece of artwork if we just squint our eyes enough.

It's one thing to play poker face. It's another to pretend the 5000 lb elephant in the room doesn't exist while propping up absolute garbage as long term solutions.

At least freaking acknowledge that the pile of dog **** everyone sees isn't really just a piece of artwork if we just squint our eyes enough.

It's one thing to play poker face. It's another to pretend the 5000 lb elephant in the room doesn't exist while propping up absolute garbage as long term solutions.

And I don't think he's playing poker, but I guess we'll see

Would it make you feel better if they were it utter panic mode?

Would it make you feel better if they were it utter panic mode?

Typical internet snarky reply.

How about saying something to the effect of look we know DW#4 is our greatest asset, and we didn't do enough to protect him last year, and we're going to turn over every rock we can to make sure that our greatest asset has the best possible protection in front of him.

Or maybe you like the milquetoast c'est la vie meh answers that have been given.

I mean look, if you're happy with the **** sandwich you've been served for the entirety of the BOB era, expect more of the same because there has been zero urgency to put a halfway decent line in front of Watson. On the contrary, BOB has taken a pretty good line, and made it worse each year. How is that even possible. It's almost like he's got a bet with someone. Oh ya, you don't think it can get worse...hold my beer!

That doesn't even mention that the coach of this **** show still has a job. I think it would be easier to explain quantum physics than explain how this guy has retained his job. He's damn good at making guys worse, so maybe that's the plan.

How about saying something to the effect of look we know DW#4 is our greatest asset, and we didn't do enough to protect him last year, and we're going to turn over every rock we can to make sure that our greatest asset has the best possible protection in front of him.

Or maybe you like the milquetoast c'est la vie meh answers that have been given.

I mean look, if you're happy with the **** sandwich you've been served for the entirety of the BOB era, expect more of the same because there has been zero urgency to put a halfway decent line in front of Watson. On the contrary, BOB has taken a pretty good line, and made it worse each year. How is that even possible. It's almost like he's got a bet with someone. Oh ya, you don't think it can get worse...hold my beer!

That doesn't even mention that the coach of this **** show still has a job. I think it would be easier to explain quantum physics than explain how this guy has retained his job. He's damn good at making guys worse, so maybe that's the plan.

Yet, he won 11 games without an albatross around his neck and put up the 2nd most points in franchise history. If the offense doesn't improve next season I will be on board with you. But know this is year 2 of a 3 year rebuild.

So no change to the OTs in free agency and no change to the RBs at all. Good or bad?

I think it's a darn good thing. Reason being we need a unit that has played together. This changing up the line every year is not working out for us. Now you have a unit that knows each other, knows what's expected from them and most importantly knows their quarterback.

Link to entire 15 minute or so press conference. I like hearing the whole thing or reading a transcript instead of just taking another person's sentence here or there highlights. For me, context changes things. It may not for other posters.

https://www.houstontexans.com/video/brian-gaine-speaks-at-the-2019-nfl-combine

Couple things I got:

-He likes the talent in this draft, pretty confident they'll get some good guys in first 2-3 rounds
-Sounds like he wants a new backup QB "someone who can actually win games for us" (didn't see anyone post this)
-Said they always do contingency planning but are looking to sign and keep own guys before going to external FA.
-Going to do everything to help Watson, but that might be on the peremiter, on the OL, in the backfield or on defense.
-Long-term upside with Rankin. Could even be a center, he has versatility. "Two hole guy". He'll have a chance to compete for a starting position.

Foreman had carries. Not to mention end arounds, and QB keepers/scrambles. Watson then becomes the ball carrier.

Yet, he won 11 games without an albatross around his neck and put up the 2nd most points in franchise history. If the offense doesn't improve next season I will be on board with you. But know this is year 2 of a 3 year rebuild.

So the 5 year rebuild that has led to this disaster isn't enough for you? You must be a glutton for punishment. What the hell has the plan been with this line? There doesn't appear to be any vision or cohesion. It's been a total mishmash of different body types, different styles, and different schemes - sometimes all in one game - combined with a coach that makes most of them worse. All they keep doing is churning through never was's, projects, rejects, and backups while dumping the better talent onto other teams.

Why do we as a fan base continue to put up with this load of horse dung? Fix the goddamn line and fix it now. Look at what Indy did in two seasons. They now have arguably the best line in the league to protect Luck. 5 years into the BOB show, and the line has done nothing but regress.

Y'all can sit around and let these jokers continue to play you for fools, but for me the jig is up. Fix it this year or I'm totally on the fire the whole damn lot of them band wagon.

I'm not saying he has to say anything, just the reality of the situation that they are standing pat apparently
Na, that’s not what I got out of any of what he said. Sounds like he’s not showing his hand or giving away any clues to what he may or may not be after come free agency/draft.

Na, that’s not what I got out of any of what he said. Sounds like he’s not showing his hand or giving away any clues to what he may or may not be after come free agency/draft.

He'll definitely get help in the draft. At least one OT.

I am really not concerned with what they say in a press conference, what matters is what they actually do in the offseason. I am going to wait to see that before I express my opinion about their action or inaction. BTW, I much prefer they deal with their dirty laundry behind closed doors instead of in public view. That is the correct way to deal with things and build a team IMHO.

"Henderson is our starting RT. I'm telling you now!!!"

"Uh... we expect, um... uh. You see... what's the word I'm looking for... dividends. Yeah, that's the ticket. We expect better dividends from Davenport."

"Lamar is our starter. I'm telling you now."

:thinking:

Last edited:
So the 5 year rebuild that has led to this disaster isn't enough for you? You must be a glutton for punishment. What the hell has the plan been with this line? There doesn't appear to be any vision or cohesion. It's been a total mishmash of different body types, different styles, and different schemes - sometimes all in one game - combined with a coach that makes most of them worse. All they keep doing is churning through never was's, projects, rejects, and backups while dumping the better talent onto other teams.

Why do we as a fan base continue to put up with this load of horse dung? Fix the goddamn line and fix it now. Look at what Indy did in two seasons. They now have arguably the best line in the league to protect Luck. 5 years into the BOB show, and the line has done nothing but regress.

Y'all can sit around and let these jokers continue to play you for fools, but for me the jig is up. Fix it this year or I'm totally on the fire the whole damn lot of them band wagon.

I agree with you about the fixing the OL and fixing it now.

What your post describes is the former GM and the HC not sharing the same vision for 4 yrs. (This goes for the entire roster not just the OL) When this happens it's going take more than 1 offseason (Especially when you're missing you top picks) to fix the previous 4 yrs.

I know you dont like to hear this, but those are the facts.

"Henderson is our starting RT. I'm telling you now!!!"

"Uh... we expect, um... uh. You see... what's the word I'm looking for... dividends. Yeah, that's the ticket. We expect better dividends from Davenport."

"Lamar is our starter. I'm telling you now."

:thinking:

No question Lamar is the starter.

The other stuff I'm not so sure about. I'm sure Gaine isn't going to throw the current OL under the bus. I do expect talent to be added to the OL this offseason and if it's not I will be on board with you. I do think there's a better than avg chance Henderson BEGINS the yr as the starting RT and a rookie learns behind him like DB did when he was a rookie and Sallam mentored him.

I'm taking Gaine's comments as......no one is going to know what the Texans directions will be in FA and the draft.

If teams do get trade-up crazy in order to draft QB's Murray and Haskins at 1 & 2, there will be some interesting players sliding down. If the right ones are moving down, I could see Gaine moving up a few spots to pick a top player. I could also see him moving back if multiple targets are sliding towards 23.

I just hope there's zero truth to his statement and it's more of a diversion tactic.

I'm taking Gaine's comments as......no one is going to know what the Texans directions will be in FA and the draft.

If teams do get trade-up crazy in order to draft QB's Murray and Haskins at 1 & 2, there will be some interesting players sliding down. If the right ones are moving down, I could see Gaine moving up a few spots to pick a top player. I could also see him moving back if multiple targets are sliding towards 23.

I just hope there's zero truth to his statement and it's more of a diversion tactic.
I got a different angle from him. I see him as open so am taking him at face value. Having said that, the guy could be lying through his teeth but I just don't get that from him.
So, my takeaways from what he said are:-
They value inside rush and if an opportunity is available they will consider.
WR - depth is desirable.
OL - They value individual skillsets and versatility. henderson will likely be starting RT.
RB - Miller and Foreman will be their #1 and #2 and a third option may come from the draft.
They will explore a nickel CB in FA.
Kevin Johnson will need further evaluation.
He wants to get DW4 every possible piece to help that he can get his hands on.
Draftee metrics are important.
He is very optimistic about Rankin.

I got a different angle from him. I see him as open so am taking him at face value. Having said that, the guy could be lying through his teeth but I just don't get that from him.
WR - depth is desirable.
OL - They value individual skillsets and versatility. henderson will likely be starting RT.
RB - Miller and Foreman will be their #1 and #2 and a third option may come from the draft.

The Texans running game was mediocre at best. This had much to do with the lack of good NFL OL. This same OL was responsible in helping Watson get worked over by defenses last season. I'm really concerned that OB is telling Gaine that his OL just needs more time and his running game is in good hands with Miller and Foreman. By any chance did he happen to mention he thought 2019 would be Griffin's All Pro season as a top flight TE?

Getting a WR and adding a late round RB is going to help this offense in what manner if the team is prepared to take the field with the following OL:

LT- Davenport
LG- Rankin
C- Martin
RG- Fulton
RT- Henderson

Who gets the warm and fuzzies if this is this OL that both OB and Gaine feel good about going into the season?

The Texans running game was mediocre at best. This had much to do with the lack of good NFL OL. This same OL was responsible in helping Watson get worked over by defenses last season. I'm really concerned that OB is telling Gaine that his OL just needs more time and his running game is in good hands with Miller and Foreman. By any chance did he happen to mention he thought 2019 would be Griffin's All Pro season as a top flight TE?

Getting a WR and adding a late round RB is going to help this offense in what manner if the team is prepared to take the field with the following OL:

LT- Davenport
LG- Rankin
C- Martin
RG- Fulton
RT- Henderson

Who gets the warm and fuzzies if this is this OL that both OB and Gaine feel good about going into the season?
The run game was mediocre with only a couple of good games.
I can see them seriously looking at all options here. I think old faithful Blue may be a casualty unless they hold him for his ST production. There are some excellent options in FA that appeal greatly.
They are going to try to add at least one quality piece to the OL and also a good draftee.
OB may say this and that about the OL, but Gaine seems to recognize the importance of the OL going by the Rankin selection with a paucity of picks last draft. Having promising young guys to develop along the line will definitely be a key tactic moving forward.
TE didn't get a mention but don't sleep on that and WR depth will be a consideration. If TJ Hockenson falls within spitting distance it will be interesting.
I seriously doubt the line stays like that - especially if it looks like a dumpster fire early.
For mine, I see at least one change at LT:-
LT - FA (Williams/Smith/Brown/James)
LG - Rankin/(Fluker?)
C - Miller/Mancz
RG - Fulton
RT - Henderson/Davenport
If they can add a Yodne Cajuste, Cody Ford or Dalton Risner and a decent blocking TE this line has potential to be light years ahead of last season. The bracketed ones are hopefuls.

Could see them trading down in 1st or one of their 2nds to acquire a 4th that they gave up for DT. Team needs an infusion of youth in the secondary and talent in general. And with how last draft turned out I want Gaine and co. to have as many picks as they can get!

WR - depth is desirable.

What I got out of it is that Gaine is a very good public speaker (much better than Rick imo), sounds just like a GM/politician/coach/scout just like you would want a GM at draft time to sound like

Though I couldn't hear them, based on subjects of answers, Houston media sucks

Watson is the franchise

Last edited:
Any plan that has Henderson as potential starter is a non-starter for me. At best, he should be thrown into the mix at tackle to see if he can even stick as a backup. Personally, I'd cut him. He has crohns disease, and he hasn't been healthy in 3 years. And it's not like this is Orlando Pace we're talking about here, so why the ultra patience for this guy?

I feel sorry for him. He seems like one helluva nice guy and I wish him well but this is NFL football. If you can't stay on the field and produce AND you have a lifelong disease...I don't even know what to say. I'm completely dumbfounded that his name was even mentioned at all, much less as a probable starter.

If your plans include Henderson, then you're screwed. Extremely disappointed - more like pissed off - that Gaine and BOB seem completely nonplussed about the state of the offensive line.

Actions will speak louder than words, so for now I'll leave it there and shut up and wait for the end result and hope it's all BS and bluster. Once FA and the draft come and go, we'll reevaluate but there better be a plan in place beyond Henderson being the starter at RT. I will ROAST this regime if that is the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back