Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you will ever see a fan base as excited to see a first round OL taken, then if the Texans grab one this year
True, but I’d be just as happy if a good CB was there for the taking once we’re in the clock, as the entire world knows we need at least two good CBs. Of we reach for Offensive Tackles (which probably won’t pan out until year 2 anyway) out of desperation, we will continue to get torched in those close games we couldn’t close out.

True, but I’d be just as happy if a good CB was there for the taking once we’re in the clock, as the entire world knows we need at least two good CBs. Of we reach for Offensive Tackles (which probably won’t pan out until year 2 anyway) out of desperation, we will continue to get torched in those close games we couldn’t close out.

I'll be excited for either, but they need to address both of those in FA so they aren't put into a corner come draft time

I'll be excited for either, but they need to address both of those in FA so they aren't put into a corner come draft time

Exactly,

It's probably going to cost 15 mil per year over 5 years for a 25 year old Trent Brown. You in? I am

Dav wasn’t that bad when OB wasn’t bouncing him to different spots on the OL imho. At some point the OL needs continuity to get better.
There was a snide remark in that article that kinda/sorta addressed this....
Houston could pay big for a left guard though. Rodger Saffold is a perfect outside zone blocker, and was spectacular at splattering inside linebackers. Ramon Foster is a big strong power running mauler, and a voracious puller. It really depends on what run scheme Houston decides to use. It changes every year, it changes midseason, it changes all the time. Also, Kelechi Osemeleis a potential cut in Oakland, and Ronald Leary is a potential cut in Denver. Oakland would save $10.5 million and Denver would save $7.5 million by releasing them. One is rebuilding, and the other is holding on. The scheme would depend on where I’d spend this money. Kelemete and Greg Mancz would be fine depth players. Let’s assume $9 million a year for either Saffold, Foster, Leary, or even Osemele, who’d probably go for more.
maybe it's just me but I thought the bolded was a swipe at O'Brien's lack of scheme consistency. Something more than a few of us aren't real happy with

Exactly,

It's probably going to cost 15 mil per year over 5 years for a 25 year old Trent Brown. You in? I am

yea. I'd take either Brown or James at this point, I prefer Brown over James though because he can play either tackle spot whereas James is only a RT so it opens up more options in the draft.

Honestly I'm fine with most as long as I don't have to see Davenport blocking Watson's blind side(or front side for that matter) much anymore. Hopefully the kid can develop into a decent swing tackle I guess

I'd jump at signing Trent Brown given the choices but the elephant in the living room is that it doesn't matter if the scheme/coaching makes him worse like it has with everyone else.

They need to decide what type of run and pass blocking they want to employ and make the guys as good as possible at it and seek out guys that have those attributes and then coach them up.

Kubes scheme/staff traded for a former 6th round center from Denver nobody ever heard of in Chris Myers and turned him into a perennial pro-bowler. He took a UDFA in Mike Brisiel and turned him into a high quality starter to the point that Oakland unloaded the brinks truck - and he wasn't as good there. There are others like our former 7th round RT who became relatively good when compared with our recent OB era RT's.

Point being that both scheme fit, overall offensive schematics, as well as coaching at the individual level plays a huge role in the development of a quality O-line.

Name a single guy that has come here in the OB era as a FA or a draft choice and has clearly outplayed expectations or been coached up? Every single FA I can think of has been worse here.

Am I supposed to believe it's coincidence?

Until they figure that out, they can sign Orlando Pace in his prime and it will be a waste of cap space. So sure sign him. We have no choice but to throw jello at the wall and hope that one of these guys by some miracle can make filet mignon out of the hamburger helper he is given.

There was a snide remark in that article that kinda/sorta addressed this....

maybe it's just me but I thought the bolded was a swipe at O'Brien's lack of scheme consistency. Something more than a few of us aren't real happy with

Not you...when a team runs a highly varied offense and it does not work, it looks like a confused, non-scheme...if that scheme (ever) works it will appear to be an offense that keeps the defense off balance and adjusts to anything that is thrown at it.

Oddly, a competent line makes most offenses look better.
Sadly, there can’t be a competent line with an incompetent line coach. I’m sure Gaine is well aware that Devlin is not who he pretends to be, and hopefully acts accordingly or HIS ass may end up being canned, which would suck cause if his first draft is any indication of things to come, Cal and whoever emse runs the FO would be fools to send him packing.

Sadly, there can’t be a competent line with an incompetent line coach. I’m sure Gaine is well aware that Devlin is not who he pretends to be, and hopefully acts accordingly or HIS ass may end up being canned, which would suck cause if his first draft is any indication of things to come, Cal and whoever emse runs the FO would be fools to send him packing.
Decent oline coach and OC are high on my list of offseason upgrades.

Gaine has no say over the coaching staff. That's all on OB and he likes Devlin.

GMs have been known to tell HCs to get another X coach. But your right that is the general line. IIRC Munchak was told to get rid of a couple coaches or his job was on the line.
I agree with that, but OB isn't Gaine's guy, Gaine is OB's guy. I 100% wish Devlin would get replaced, but I don't see it happening.

Well it also didn't work for the Giants who spent a arm and a leg on the guy you wanted to sign.. so there's that too.

Believe it or not Solder was playing pretty well by the end of the yr.

Watch and see what the NYG's OL looks like next yr after they add a RT/RG in the draft. Which they are going to do.

Solder had a poor start but came on strong by the season's end. Seems unfair to blame him for the ineptitude of 4 other guys, eli, or the scheme.

Is he better then dav? I think you know the answer.

That doesn't fit the narrative around these parts.

Believe it or not Solder was playing pretty well by the end of the yr.

Watch and see what the NYG's OL looks like next yr after they add a RT/RG in the draft. Which they are going to do.

Sounds to me, if they keep him at all he's the one who's going have to move to the right side and still will be looking for a answer to their LT woes as he was extremely mediocre there last season without Tom Brady..

[Another player that the Giants appear to have swung and missed on is left tackle Nate Solder. In March, general manager Dave Gettleman overpaid for the former New England Patriot (four years, $62 million) and must live with that contract unless he finds a taker on the open market. That’s unlikely to happen until the 2020 season. Solder’s contract is heavily front-loaded. His 2019 cap hit is $17 million, but his dead-money charge makes him basically unmovable until the end of next season. He won’t be a “one-and-done” player with the Giants. They can’t afford to cut him while his dead-money figure is so high. That doesn’t mean the Giants have to keep him at left tackle, however. They can do themselves — and Solder — a huge favor by finding another left tackle this offseason and flip the underachieving Solder over the right side.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/giants...iants-nate-solder-one-and-done-option-lt/amp/

Sounds to me is the Giants had to make Solder the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history just to get mediocre tackle play (which is what I was scared of and warned you about.. not to mention I'm not a big fan of signing Pat castoffs, it hardly ever works out for teams). Right now Solder was a FA bust for the coin he makes. So yes, if I had the choice between signing cheap stop gap lineman over the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history just being a stop gap, hell yeah I'll take the cheaper lineman.

What a really want the team to do is draft young cornerstone pieces to the line. However then we'll have to then develop those players and that's where I become upset, because I feel like Devlin doesn't even have the ability to develop high school talent and I think he's the crappiest Oline coach in the NFL.. So I don't expect much to change until we finally can him.

Last edited:
Solder had a poor start but came on strong by the season's end. Seems unfair to blame him for the ineptitude of 4 other guys, eli, or the scheme.

I would really love to see evidence of this great improvement.. also Solder wasn't the anchor of that line.. he was the weak link. Every Giants game I saw, people were able to put him on skates.

For sake of argument though, let's say he did improve.. did He improve enough to warrant that contract? Because he certainly still isn't a top LT in this league. Some of the best deals a team makes are the ones that don't go through after watching him with the Giants I certainly don't want that cap hit on my salary cap.

Don't exaggerate. Even at the end of the year Solder was disppointing for his contract. Of course he was better than Davenport. Doesn't mean it would have been money well spent.

I would really love to see evidence of this great improvement.. also Solder wasn't the anchor of that line.. he was the weak link. Every Giants game I saw, people were able to put him on skates.

For sake of argument though, let's say he did improve.. did He improve enough to warrant that contract? Because he certainly still isn't a top LT in this league.

He was a top lt 2 years ago (see his contract- thanks.) Potentially, he had a right leg injury early in camp which harrassed him throughout the early portion of the season.

Again, is he better then dav? Hell yes.

Wtf is the point of having cap space if you dont use it? Where there better options last offseason? Nope.

If we pay a bit extra to keep this offense functional and Watson upright I'm on board.

He was a top lt 2 years ago (see his contract- thanks.) Potentially, he had a right leg injury early in camp which harrassed him throughout the early portion of the season.

Again, is he better then dav? Hell yes.

Wtf is the point of having cap space if you dont use it? Where there better options last offseason? Nope.

If we pay a bit extra to keep this offense functional and Watson upright I'm on board.

He's better than Davenport, but that's not saying anything at all.. he's still mediocre. Hell before the Giants gave him that contract he was considering retirement.

I want the line improved too.. the answer isn't signing older players at historic level contracts who give subpar play. We need talented youth on that line and employ someone who can develop them. Until that happens we're just going to keep spinning our wheels. That is I want to see happen.

Last edited:
Not even close. He was just the best FA. In 8 years he has never made a probowl despite being on a perineal playoff team. He's a yeoman getting paid like an all pro.

Pro bowls are your measuring stick? Gtf out.

Was he the best option last year? Yes.

Would he have crippled us from a cap standpoint? No.

Is he still better then most of the options available this year? Its early but I think so.

You guys are playing some ridiculous hindsight game. I dont fault anyone for thinking we shouldve got him. Even at his worst he was an upgrade over what we put on the field.

Is he still better then most of the options available this year? Its early but I think so.

You guys are playing some ridiculous hindsight game. I dont fault anyone for thinking we shouldve got him. Even at his worst he was an upgrade over what we put on the field.

How is it hindsight when I was on the record and dead set against signing him before he even took the field for NY?

Yep, and you're going to lose this battle around here.

Solder moving to RT. LOL

Some of these internet guys. Clickbait.

What a really want the team to do is draft young cornerstone pieces to the line. However then we'll have to then develop those players and that's where I become upset, because I feel like Devlin doesn't even have the ability to develop high school talent and I think he's the crappiest Oline coach in the NFL.. So I don't expect much to change until we finally can him.

If it were easy everyone would do it. Why bother with free agency?

Your fascination with Devlin should not preclude adding talent. We're stuck with him for now but it doesn't stop us (or shouldn't) from adding talent.

Oh and another thing.. THE GUY DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY HERE TO BEGIN WITH! So honestly I don't even know why we're still arguing over a player who was never going to consider signing here and wanted to stay in the N.E. close to his family.

We don't know what Davenport is yet. I know there are some who believe he's done & he may very well be.

But there looked like a lot more confusion on the line to me than anything. I personally feel the RT & Center struggled more than Davenport. Doesn't mean I think Davenport is good, but I'd like to see at least Center addressed more so than LT.

If Martin is our starting Center week 1, we're still going to have problems running the ball & protecting our QB. Regardless what we do at LT.

Your fascination with Devlin should not preclude adding talent. We're stuck with him for now but it doesn't stop us (or shouldn't) from adding talent.

Amen

You would think posters around here want to hold on to cap space like it's their $$$$. This fanbase has been brainwashed by the incompetence of the past regime. You have to take a risk to get a LT in FA. They usually only become available because of age Whitworth or injury Kalil/Okung. Trent Brown will become available due to Pats cap space and his weight. But make no mistake Brown is very athletically gifted for a man his size.

These are the same people who were against signing Andrew Whitworth due to $$$. Anytime you sign a big $$$$ FA there's risk and far too many fans are risk averse. But look at the teams that made the final 4 this yr.

New England- Took a chance on Gordon/Shelton/McCourty

Rams- Took a chance on Whitworth/Cooks/Peters/Talib

New Orleans- Took a chance on trading up for Davenport using this yrs 1st rd pick. Traded this yrs 3rd for Apple.

The Texans need to do some of this while Watson is on his rookie deal. Will they? who knows, but fans around these parts will be complaining if they do.

Last edited:

That's THE PROBLEM.. you and I are in complete disagreement about his "talent". I simply don't see given his play last season how he would've greatly helped this line. (Hell the Giants are already talking about moving him after just one season.)

We don't know what Davenport is yet. I know there are some who believe he's done & he may very well be.

But there looked like a lot more confusion on the line to me than anything. I personally feel the RT & Center struggled more than Davenport. Doesn't mean I think Davenport is good, but I'd like to see at least Center addressed more so than LT.

If Martin is our starting Center week 1, we're still going to have problems running the ball & protecting our QB. Regardless what we do at LT.

No argument here. I'll take an upgrade at all 5 positions.

Didn't you just argue he didn't have the best season?

Checkmate.

He didn't.. however that has jack crap to do with "hindsight" when I didn't want him before that. Simply saying he had a bad season isn't hindsight for me, it's simply stating the truth about his play last season and a affirmation on my original fears.

He didn't.. however that has jack crap to do with "hindsight" when I didn't want him before that. Simply saying he had a bad season isn't hindsight for me, it's simply stating the truth about his play last season and a affirmation on my original fears.

Let's make this simple.

Did he play better then our offensive linemen?

If only he could play all 5 positions at once, maybe bringing him in would have been a good signing.

Only one lineman played above expectations last season & that was still poor (Lamm). Everyone else was a disappointment. Martin continues his downward spiral. Kelemente... eh. Fulton (granted injury may have been his biggest issue).

But year in, year out this is what we get. To think Solder would have done better here than he did in NY, nah...

If Mancz & Rankin finished the season as starters, maybe. But with decision makers keeping them on the bench all year long, I doubt they would have helped Solder to a successful season.

Amen

You would think posters around here want to hold on to cap space like it's their $$$$. This fanbase has been brainwashed by the incompetence of the past regime.

Bullcrap.. fact is YOU DON'T OVERPAY for mediocre talent out of utter desperation. That's just good damn business.. The other way is how you end up with the Robaire Smith's, Todd Wade's, Ed Reed's, and Brock Osweiler's of the FA world (Nate Solder would've just been yet another name on the list. THAT is what the "incompetence of past regimes" have taught me.

Let's make this simple.

Did he play better then our offensive linemen?

Why, yes he did.

Will he play better than the current OT's on the Texans roster for the next 4 yrs. Most probably.

Is Solder an all pro level LT? Nope. Is he serviceable middle of the pack LT that you dont have to worry about that position? Yes.

Is Brown more talented than Solder? Yes and he's only 25 yrs old so he should get better with age.

Bullcrap.. fact is YOU DON'T OVERPAY for mediocre talent out of utter desperation. That's just good damn business.. The other way is how you end up with the Robaire Smith's, Todd Wade's, Ed Reed's, and Brock Osweiler's of the FA world (Nate Solder would've just been yet another name on the list. THAT is what the "incompetence of past regimes" have taught me.

Comparing Solder to Todd Wade/Smith/ old man Ed Reed is what's bullcrap.

There's no comparison in talent levels of these players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back