Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Blake Bortles

I think if anything then it is Locker reloaded. Bortles is a smart guy, that is inaccurate at times and does stupid decisions at times. But he can live with pressure, extend plays and take big hits. I am pretty sure he will have a better career than Gabbert. The question is: is he Locker or is he Roethlisberger...

I think we dodged a bullet on this guy, that luckily hit a division opponent. He is just too much of an unknown, needed a lot of polish, and isn't as physically gifted as you would like this high. You have to be wary of guys who rise up fast in shorts. I think he is definitely not Gabbert, but a poor man's version of Eli Manning, less gifted physically, but runs hot and cold, and tends the hold the ball too long, I think he is gonna take lots of hits and sacks in the NFL, especially playing for the Jags.

Texian just bought a Jags cap.. Lol.

Nope...not yet anyways.

I'm a little worried, TK. Gus Bradley is going to turn that team around.

I am a big fan of Bradley, he's going to be a very good NFL HC.

Anybody concerned that Bortles is in Jacksonville?

Yep, my worst fear, I think I said so a few times earlier. At one point I thought the division was going to be Luck in Indy, Bortles in JAX and Manziel in TEN. Now it's just Luck and Bortles 4X a year. Texans play Jags twice in the end of the year, Bortles could be starting by then. I wouldn't be surprised if Blake wins two. How bad would it be if Bortles wins last game of the year @ Reliant with one of his typical game winning drives.

I'm more concerned about Texian. Poor guy. I hope he doesn't do anything stupid.

So far so good! Just disappointed.

At the risk of agreeing with Texian I have to say that I would have taken Bortles #1 over Clowney.

Anybody concerned that Bortles is in Jacksonville?

No, not yet. He needs a lot of work. Probably won't see the field for at least a year. But with the right coaching I think Bortles will be the best QB in this class.

I'm a little worried, TK. Gus Bradley is going to turn that team around.

And this is why I think I will be concerned in two years or so..

Thanks for being a good sport. I know you were just beating the drum for the guy you wanted. At the end of the day we all just want a championship in Houston.

I do feel somewhat vindicated being Bortles was the #1 QB drafted and taken in the Top 5. My thinking/evaluation was more in line w/ NFL thinking. Many thought I was outside the box and I guess I was when compared to media and a lot of the group, inside the box, thinkers.

I do feel somewhat vindicated being Bortles was the #1 QB drafted and taken in the Top 5. My thinking/evaluation was more in line w/ NFL thinking. Many thought I was outside the box and I guess I was when compared to media and a lot of the group, inside the box, thinkers.

I think in the end Bortles was like the consensus #1 QB. Manziel had the it-factor but too many questionmarks. And Bridgewater was falling. But kudos for being on the Bortles train way before all the media fell in love with the guy.

I still think he could turn into something special. With him, more than with most other prospects, I think everything comes down to coaching and how they plan to use him (sitting him first or throwing him in the fire).

Well the "NFL thinking" was acting like Clowney was the best thing since LT so go figure there. The NFL thinking can be as dumb as a box of rocks.

You saw a guy with a ton of potential that balled all year last season and was money in the 4th quarter. The Texans had better hope that Jacksonville doesn't get their stuff together, because if Bortles ends up getting some weapons and a good defense in the next few years they may end up looking like even more of an embarrassment than what they have over the last 10 years or so.

No gm or armchair gm can take credit for a pick until at least three years after a draft. Im pretty sure the the vikings gm was ecstatic after the ponder pick three years ago.

No gm or armchair gm can take credit for a pick until at least three years after a draft. Im pretty sure the the vikings gm was ecstatic after the ponder pick three years ago.

This is true. For all I know Bortles could be a bust and Clowney could be an amazing player for 10 years. I'd be shocked if was though personally. I don't doubt that Clowney could be pretty good for a year or two since Watt is here, but I don't like how he fits in this system when we could have had an all purpose LB like Mack. I see Clowney being the kind of guy that will give his team problems down the road. I hope that I'm wrong, but his history indicates that it has a high probability. Bortles history tells me that he's going to work his ass off and continue to get better and better as long as he has good coaching.

...but I don't like how he fits in this system when we could have had an all purpose LB like Mack.

I don't think any of us know what kind of LB Clowney is going to be. Like Robinson, he was asked to do one thing, but he's got the athleticism to do it all. It's really not fair to judge a kid because he wasn't asked to do certain things.

I understand if he wasn't asked because they knew he couldn't do it...... but Clowney played DE, DEs are generally not asked to do a lot of the things LBs are.

He may never be as good as Mack as a LB, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

The only thing Mack has on him now, is that Mack was asked to do those things & he did them well. But most of your 3-4 OLBs were DEs in college like Clowney was & they made the transition just fine.

I don't think any of us know what kind of LB Clowney is going to be. Like Robinson, he was asked to do one thing, but he's got the athleticism to do it all. It's really not fair to judge a kid because he wasn't asked to do certain things.

I understand if he wasn't asked because they knew he couldn't do it...... but Clowney played DE, DEs are generally not asked to do a lot of the things LBs are.

He may never be as good as Mack as a LB, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

The only thing Mack has on him now, is that Mack was asked to do those things & he did them well. But most of your 3-4 OLBs were DEs in college like Clowney was & they made the transition just fine.

Tex has a burr in his craw about motivation, the same issue that came with Mario Williams. Don't think for a second that's not in the back of everyone's mind here. Including mine, and I love the pick.

I hear ya, but I don't see him being able to cover well on pass plays if he is on the field. He isn't a lateral movement guy. He is straight forward explosion. If he is mainly on the field for plays where he rushes the passer than guys like Luck can audible to the open man to counter that. I don't know we'll see. I really wish I could get excited for this pick, but I just don't like his mentality and his attitude. Otherwise I'd love the pick if I thought he was a high motor player like Watt. When we drafted Watt I didn't know jack about Watt. I saw the highlights and felt like Watt lacked a lot of explosiveness but seemed gritty. Boy was I wrong about that part, but I loved what I heard and read about Watt and his work ethic and high motor so I was okay with the pick to wait and see. I really didn't have an opinion at all on the Watt pick. Probably the only pick I ever didn't have a strong opinion on.

I don't really get why people are so oblivious to how bad our LB corps are. We're terrible there, and I for one am not counting on Cushing anymore. 3 seasons of injuries? I love the guy and he's one of my favorite LB's to ever watch, but let's face it he has had tons of injuries from college and the pros. I don't think he'll ever be the same guy. Mack or Barr was a big "need."

Also at QB, it is very rare when you get a chance at whoever you want in a draft. Last time we passed and here we are again and we pass. I know a lot of people aren't high on Bortles, but I think he's a diamond in the rough personally. Getting a guy who is clutch that can also extend plays and has a reputation for being the first and last guy to enter and leave the building is what elite QB's are made of. Not saying he'll be elite, but he has great character reports where as Clowney's are the opposite. People worry about thugs and knuckleheads a lot, but I worry about low motor players more than anything. Especially when it's a guy on the Dline.

Well the "NFL thinking" was acting like Clowney was the best thing since LT so go figure there. The NFL thinking can be as dumb as a box of rocks.

You saw a guy with a ton of potential that balled all year last season and was money in the 4th quarter. The Texans had better hope that Jacksonville doesn't get their stuff together, because if Bortles ends up getting some weapons and a good defense in the next few years they may end up looking like even more of an embarrassment than what they have over the last 10 years or so.

Your comments in bold are really kind of eery for me . I can remember when Aundray Bruce the #1 pick in the draft was suppose to be the next LT. Like with Clowney the Falcons tried but couldn't trade the #1 pick. A few years later I was playing in a Falcons golf tournament. The player in our foursome was Falcons SS Scott Case. Case was asked about many Falcons and was always politically correct with positive comments. When Case was asked about Aundray Bruce, Case whipped around and said said without hesitation, that is dumbest man ever to step on a football field, he's dumber than a box of rocks.

Your comments in RED are my thoughts exactly.

I hear ya, but I don't see him being able to cover well on pass plays if he is on the field. He isn't a lateral movement guy. He is straight forward explosion. If he is mainly on the field for plays where he rushes the passer than guys like Luck can audible to the open man to counter that. I don't know we'll see. I really wish I could get excited for this pick, but I just don't like his mentality and his attitude. Otherwise I'd love the pick if I thought he was a high motor player like Watt. When we drafted Watt I didn't know jack about Watt. I saw the highlights and felt like Watt lacked a lot of explosiveness but seemed gritty. Boy was I wrong about that part, but I loved what I heard and read about Watt and his work ethic and high motor so I was okay with the pick to wait and see. I really didn't have an opinion at all on the Watt pick. Probably the only pick I ever didn't have a strong opinion on.

I don't really get why people are so oblivious to how bad our LB corps are. We're terrible there, and I for one am not counting on Cushing anymore. 3 seasons of injuries? I love the guy and he's one of my favorite LB's to ever watch, but let's face it he has had tons of injuries from college and the pros. I don't think he'll ever be the same guy. Mack or Barr was a big "need."

Also at QB, it is very rare when you get a chance at whoever you want in a draft. Last time we passed and here we are again and we pass. I know a lot of people aren't high on Bortles, but I think he's a diamond in the rough personally. Getting a guy who is clutch that can also extend plays and has a reputation for being the first and last guy to enter and leave the building is what elite QB's are made of. Not saying he'll be elite, but he has great character reports where as Clowney's are the opposite. People worry about thugs and knuckleheads a lot, but I worry about low motor players more than anything. Especially when it's a guy on the Dline.

I am with you here. Clowney has always been a 4-3 DE, hand in the dirt straight line attack dog. BOB & CO are now saying he will be a stand up 3-4 OLB. Carolina tried that once w/ Clowney and he was promptly beaten for TD. Spurrier is a pretty savvy coach and I suspect he tried to use Clowney in a variety of ways but found Clowney at his best only as a 4-3 DE with his hand in the dirt.

Last edited:
The Texans had better hope that Jacksonville doesn't get their stuff together, because if Bortles ends up getting some weapons and a good defense in the next few years they may end up looking like even more of an embarrassment than what they have over the last 10 years or so.

The Jags added Marquis Lee and Allen Robinson tonight. That's a fairly formidable pair of WRs. They also added Brandon Linder one of the stronger interior OL in this draft to go next to Luke Joeckel.

In addition, HC Gus Bradley went and got Seattle Super Bowl Champion free agent DLs Red Bryant and Chris Clemons, along with free agents DT Ziggy Hood and LB Dekoda Watson. Gus also signed Zane Beadles to play the other OG position. Still not done GUs signed BIG back Toby Gerhardt and WR Tandon Doss, traded Gabbert and signed Henne.

I think it's safe to say that the Jags are going to be, much, much better.

I am with you here. Clowney has always been a 4-3 DE, hand in the dirt straight line attack dog. BOB & CO are now saying he will be a stand up 3-4 OLB. Carolina tried that once w/ Clowney and he was promptly beaten for TD. Spurrier is a pretty savvy coach and I suspect he tried to use Clowney in a variety of ways but found Clowney at his best only as a 4-3 DE with his hand in the dirt.
This same defense put similar body type Willie McGinest in the HOF. McGinest was a pain in the keyster every time we played them.

83887591_display_image.jpg
AyMar.AuSt.168.jpeg

This same defense put similar body type Willie McGinest in the HOF. McGinest was a pain in the keyster every time we played them.

What we do know here is that McGinest is smart. What we don't know is if Clowney is too. Spurrier is a pretty savvy coach. We know Spurrier is smart. You would think the "Old Ball Coach" would try to utilize Clowney in a number of different ways. Yet, Clowney was pretty much limited to a 4-3 DE w/ his hand in the dirt w/ instructions to get the QB and was only able to produce 3 sacks.

IMHO Jadevon Clowney is no Willie McGinest, he may be closer to being Aundray Bruce, who by the way, had a very similar body type.

247757-27308_display_image.jpg

Last edited:

The awesome part about it is that same defense didn't have JJ Watt.

That D + JJ is something that I am really looking forward to watch. QB KRUNCH!

When did mcginnist and his 60 sacks get in the hall of fame?

86, not 60 -- including the most postseason sacks in history and the most ever in a playoff game. And while it's true he's not in the HOF, he's nominated this year (his first of eligibility).

When did mcginnist and his 60 sacks get in the hall of fame?
ok, I'm guilty of excitobabble. He's in the HOF discussion and was a hell of a player in any case. He played the elephant (or Leo) position much of his time in NE.

Easy oversimplified explanation...The Elephant runs DT's in the 1gap, 3gap and 5gap. The Leo stands up and is a rush end (with contain responsibilities) on weakside while the 3 DT's occupy all 5 linemen. You would like a long, explosive player as your Leo. Big long armed linemen as your DT's...and a huge NT clogging the middle. The elephant will roam depending on keys.

What we do know here is that McGinest is smart. What we don't know is if Clowney is too. Spurrier is a pretty savvy coach. We know Spurrier is smart. You would think the "Old Ball Coach" would try to utilize Clowney in a number of different ways. Yet, Clowney was pretty much limited to a 4-3 DE w/ his hand in the dirt w/ instructions to get the QB and was only able to produce 3 sacks.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone rave about Spurrier's defensive prowess.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone rave about Spurrier's defensive prowess.

Probably belongs on the college board, but Spurrier might be the most overrated coach in history. He has one title in 35 years. He's Mack Brown, but everyone thinks he's Lombardi.

86, not 60 -- including the most postseason sacks in history and the most ever in a playoff game. And while it's true he's not in the HOF, he's nominated this year (his first of eligibility).

I like willie,but willie was just a solid player and pass rusher. Dude had 1 double digit sack. He had 86 sacks in 14 yrs which is an average of 6.5 sacks a season or so. Yeah he has the most career sacks in post season. So what?

I like willie,but willie was just a solid player and pass rusher. Dude had 1 double digit sack. He had 86 sacks in 14 yrs which is an average of 6.5 sacks a season or so. Yeah he has the most career sacks in post season. So what?

He's also got three rings. I'd take a measly 86 career sacks from Clowney and the best postseason defensive performance in history if the Texans win three Super Bowls with him.

He's also got three rings. I'd take a measly 86 career sacks from Clowney and the best postseason defensive performance in history if the Texans win three Super Bowls with him.

I know everyone loves the New England connection, but I'm still hoping Clowney turns into Charles Haley who with his 5 pro bowls, 2 all pros, 5 SB rings, 100.5 regular season sacks and 11 post season sacks playing DE-LB should be up for enshrinement ahead of McGinest.

th

Jax had the balls to take the quarterback they think will be the future at #3 . We succumbed to pressure to take Clowney imo. Meanwhile we still don't have a quarterback unless we grab some late round stiff. And no none of these guys left are Tom Brady. I have a bad feeling we will regret passing on Bortles for years.

Jax had the balls to take the quarterback they think will be the future at #3 . We succumbed to pressure to take Clowney imo. Meanwhile we still don't have a quarterback unless we grab some late round stiff. And no none of these guys left are Tom Brady. I have a bad feeling we will regret passing on Bortles for years.

Yep ... its why they always have stellar QB play .

Back