Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Blake Bortles

Texian

Hall of Fame
Blake Bortles, QB, University of Central Florida, 6'4" 230 lbs, Junior

only recently talk of Bortles declaring for 2014 NFL Draft. If he does he will spring to 1st Rd consideration.

Blake Bortles' Game Winning Drive Vs. Louisville , beating Teddy Bridewater, in Louisville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsHSYdNv2C4

This is the kind of QB you want to have the ball in his hands late in the 4th Q or the last possession.

You can watch UCF and Bortles Friday night vs South Florida on ESPN @ 7:00PM

and

UCF and Bortles vs SMU, Saturday, Dec 7th @ 11:00Am on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2116/

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
I really like Bortles but there have been many rumors that he will return for his senior year. He's currently rated as a late 2nd-early 3rd, which I think is a little low. If he went back for his senior year he could turn that into a sure fire 1st round grade.

If UCF ends up getting the BCS bid and he plays well in the bowl game he might decide to jump. I really like their RB Storm Johnson as well. He's also a junior.

Texian

Hall of Fame
OK Boys and Girls, this is a friendly reminder that Blake Bortles will be taking the Gridiron tonight (Friday Night) @ 7:00pm on ESPN. Tune in or set those DVRs. That is all! :)

Texan4Ever

All Pro
I'm glad there are others that share the same love for Bortles that I have. He's not a finished product (not a single QB in this class is) but the poise and ability he shows under pressure and when the game is on the line is what makes me believe he is the BEST QB in this class should he choose to come out.

It bothers me that ESPN and other "draft experts" keep saying this is a deep QB class because the talent level sucks IMO. There is not a single QB available that can step up and lead an NFL team like Luck or RGIII did their rookie seasons.

And they barely mention Bortles name (which is good for us).

bah007

Hall of Fame
I'm glad there are others that share the same love for Bortles that I have. He's not a finished product (not a single QB in this class is) but the poise and ability he shows under pressure and when the game is on the line is what makes me believe he is the BEST QB in this class should he choose to come out.

It bothers me that ESPN and other "draft experts" keep saying this is a deep QB class because the talent level sucks IMO. There is not a single QB available that can step up and lead an NFL team like Luck or RGIII did their rookie seasons.

And they barely mention Bortles name (which is good for us).
This is a deep QB class in the sense that there is potentially 8 or 9 guys that teams could fall in love with.

But I agree, this class lacks top tier talent and is severely overrated due to the need for QB talent for about half the teams in the league.

Texian

Hall of Fame
This is a deep QB class in the sense that there is potentially 8 or 9 guys that teams could fall in love with.

But I agree, this class lacks top tier talent and is severely overrated due to the need for QB talent for about half the teams in the league.
I think you covered all your bases with that comment.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am tuning into ESPN but basketball game on now just beginning second half. Any idea what is going on?

Well I will watch Mariota play Oregon State 7:12 pm 17-7 Oregon. Mariota 6 of 7 107 yds 15.3. Oregon St held them to a three and now fixing to score.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I am tuning into ESPN but basketball game on now just beginning second half. Any idea what is going on?

Well I will watch Mariota play Oregon State 7:12 pm 17-7 Oregon. Mariota 6 of 7 107 yds 15.3. Oregon St held them to a three and now fixing to score.
UCF game is now on ESPNews until after BB game.

badboy

Hall of Fame
only one half but nothing to excite me. He seems to be "fluid" in the pocket and runs smoothly. Expected to see more against a 2-8 team.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Bortles probably played his worst game this year. However true to form with ball in hand with 4 minutes left in the game, behind 16 - 20, Bortles leads team on game winning drive to win the conference championship and preserve a BCS Bowl game. With that said, earlier turnovers and poor team play lead me to think that Bortles along with Mariota and Hundley, all will return to school. UCF only has 8 seniors and 2014 offers a chance at the National Championship and a run at the Heisman. If Bortles has an All American game in the Sugar or Orange Bowl, then maybe he will declare but still doubtful.

badboy

Hall of Fame
UCF redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles completed 17 of 26 attempts for 219 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in a 23-20 win over USF.
Bortles had a couple of less than stellar quarters, and while both of his interceptions were tipped, the redshirt junior did fumble and take multiple sacks when attempting to buy time in the pocket. We love Bortles' style, and he plays like a poor man's Andrew Luck. We doubt he enter the 2014 NFL Draft, however.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/25735/brugler-keep-an-eye-on-baylor-s-ahmad-dixon

*These are headlines so go down to third paragraph.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhAOFVJV-U

he must have a ton of confidence!!!!

also the more tape i watch the more i am impressed.
I'm really tempted to do a mock with bortles as my QB but i think its too likely he returns next year. disappointing because all the QBs i like this year will probably not enter the 2014 draft :(
Bortles still has a chance to rocket boost his stock with a great showing in the Sugar Bowl against an SEC team (ala Bridgewater last year). I think it's more likely that he returns though.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Todd McShay says Bortles is the #2 QB in this draft class. fwiw
I like Bortles but it's been proven that McShay doesn't know anything. He's a hack.
McShay started the season saying Stephen Morris was the Top QB in 2013.

bah007 is right, McShay is hack who studied journalism and is now masquerading very poorly as college scout.

If Bortles were to declare I would not be surprised if he were the first QB off the board.

Pollardized

Division Champ
Bortles still has a chance to rocket boost his stock with a great showing in the Sugar Bowl against an SEC team (ala Bridgewater last year). I think it's more likely that he returns though.
If he has a great bowl game against a quality opponent, his draft stock would be super high. Top 5 kinda high maybe. Next years draft COULD have Winston, Mariotta, Hundley, and others. Maybe a lot of teams picking in top 10 not needing a QB. Watching video of him, I am very impressed. I'm not so sure he returns another year if draft stock is top 5 quality.

Who does he remind you of?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Last week I entertained the idea of driving to Dallas this Saturday to watch Mr. Bortles play SMU. Old Man Winter will be attending with his friend 20 degrees. So Plan B is now in order. A Bucket of KFC's Weekend 10 for $10, the Big Easy, the remote and ESPN are now the plan of the day.

Saturday, December 7, 11:00 AM (CT) on ESPN

EDIT: Dadgumit KFC 10 for $10 was over and out 11/24. (Deciding on Plan C)

Plan C: A huge pot of Chili Mac is in order for the games and the coming Arctic Blast.

Last edited:

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
If he has a great bowl game against a quality opponent, his draft stock would be super high. Top 5 kinda high maybe. Next years draft COULD have Winston, Mariotta, Hundley, and others. Maybe a lot of teams picking in top 10 not needing a QB. Watching video of him, I am very impressed. I'm not so sure he returns another year if draft stock is top 5 quality.

A more polished, but less athletic Ryan Tannehill.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
How would you describe his arm strength?

His movement skills/acuracy look fine to me.
I think he has a good arm. He's not Matt Stafford, but his arm is certainly NFL quality. I've heard some people compare his arm to Luck because of his release, which is fine, but he doesn't have near the ball placement that Luck has.

He's athletic and throws great on the run too. He puts good touch on his deep ball, but can be inconsistent on his throw. I like his accuracy other than that.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Blake Bortles, QB UCF, 6'4" 230

BIO - http://www.ucfknights.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/blake_bortles_587127.html

STATS - http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/505719/blake-bortles

2013 Performance - http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Completion % = #10, .680
Passing Efficency = #7, 167.3
Passing Yards per Completion = #14, 14.3 yds

TD to INT Ratio = 3 to 1

Still has 1 game to play, Sat @ SMU

-against Jadevon Clowney and South Carolina 9/28: Eclipsed the 300-yard mark for the second time this season and threw for a career-high 358 yards while completing 25 passes with two touchdowns through the air

-In the win at Memphis, led UCF on a game-tying drive with 2:05 to go that lasted 15 plays and 80 yards

-Trailing 35-31 at Louisville, marched his team down the field on an 11-play, 75- yard drive that was capped off by a 2-yard touchdown pass to Jeff Godfrey with 23 seconds left

-At Temple 11/16: Bortles completed the day 27-for-38 for a career-high 403 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. With his 403 yards, Bortles jumped into fourth place on UCF's all-time passing yards list with 6,500. The 403 passing yards were the 10th most in a single game by a UCF quarterback. Bortles also added a season-high 62 rushing yards on 11 carries

Personal Note: has several games this year (4) (Memphis, Louisville, Temple, S Florida) where he delivered a 4th quarter game winning/tying score including last second TD to beat Teddy Bridgewater in Louisville. Negative, turnovers has fumbled the ball or been stripped of the ball several times while in the pocket. Has good pocket awareness

Todd McShay says Bortles is the #2 QB in this draft class. fwiw
You have to be careful with some of McShay's hype, he may be directed/doing it to gen up interest in an ESPN upcoming televised game. It just so happens UCF plays Sat @ 11:00AM on ESPN. Makes you wonder, scratch your head as to why McShay is all of sudden on the band wagon.

Last edited:

http://fansided.com/2013/11/22/ucf-qb-blake-bortles-similarities-andrew-luck/

Andrew luck???

Texian

Hall of Fame
"All indications are that the redshirt junior will fill out pre-draft paperwork and submit it to an NFL Draft Advisory Board to gauge his status. The advisory board, comprised of NFL talent evaluators, will give Bortles an idea of where he might be drafted should he declare."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-04/sports/os-ucf-blake-bortles-football-1205-20131204_1_ucf-qb-blake-bortles-ucf-coach-george-o-leary-draft-pool

Louisville wins in OT vs Cincinnati, that means UCF and Blake Bortles will be going to a BCS Bowl.

"All indications are that the redshirt junior will fill out pre-draft paperwork and submit it to an NFL Draft Advisory Board to gauge his status. The advisory board, comprised of NFL talent evaluators, will give Bortles an idea of where he might be drafted should he declare."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-04/sports/os-ucf-blake-bortles-football-1205-20131204_1_ucf-qb-blake-bortles-ucf-coach-george-o-leary-draft-pool

Louisville wins in OT vs Cincinnati, that means UCF and Blake Bortles will be going to a BCS Bowl.
mmm thats interesting i didn't think there was much chance of him coming out but this gives me a little bit of hope

Texian

Hall of Fame
It's BORTLES Day! Again! However it's 23 degrees in Dallas so I'm not expecting much other than the COLD to be a factor. I will be watching to see how well he handles the cold and the football. Turnovers could be a result of the weather.

UCF VS SMU 11:00AM ESPN

Texian

Hall of Fame
Danny Kannel just said there are NFL teams that think that Bortles would be the #1 QB in this year's NFL Draft. Where have I heard that before? Not sure where Danny is getting his information?????

Blake

MMQB
Danny Kannel just said there are NFL teams that think that Bortles would be the #1 QB in this year's NFL Draft. Where have I heard that before? Not sure where Danny is getting his information?????
That just sounds insane. I cannot imagine a scenario where TB is not # 1. Nothing is 100% but this is about as close as it gets.

Texian

Hall of Fame
You realize John Elway never went to a bowl game right? Teams go to bowls, not players. His team was 5-6 his last season. They had a losing record with him as QB.
I also understand (realize) that Teddy Bridgewater is no John Elway. The next 30 yd pass Bridgewater throws on a rope will be the first 30 yd pass Bridgewater throws on a rope,

beerlover

Hall of Fame
and yet Blake Bortles beat Teddy Bridgewater in Louisville no less with a Game Winning Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsHSYdNv2C4

and Blake is going to a BCS Bowl Game and Teddy is not.
must be taken in the context of team concept, meaning all that sounds good but really not all on Teddy, only so much one player can accomplish given tools supporting his. watching Bortles right now. great developmental QB prospect, reminds me of Flacco coming out of Delaware. Has the size/mobility, strong arm but still learning position. Maybe if Keenum was more established & Texans could confidently head into next season with new coach/case as starter bringing in a plus talent to develop like Bortles would work but that seems a bit of a luxury now given circumstances.

It's very difficult to grade a QB into a specific draft slot range given teams propensity to reach for position, but if I'm stacking a big board & he declares early, could certainly place him in that #15#20 top prospect range.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I also understand (realize) that Teddy Bridgewater is no John Elway. The next 30 yd pass Bridgewater throws on a rope will be the first 30 yd pass Bridgewater throws on a rope,
Which makes your criticism on team success look even sillier.

Texian

Hall of Fame
must be taken in the context of team concept,
I do understand the context of team concept. Blake Bortles took his team to Louisville Kentucky and beat Teddy Bridgewater and his team on their home field. And Bortles runs more like Andrew Luck than Joe Flacco.