Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Blake Bortles

like i said, i like him as a S prospect, but he's not one of the top 5, even 10 prospects overall in this draft.
That's pure speculation and has no real basis in reality. In 3 years, he might be a no brainer. I would gamble on him as soon as I would Clowney. Not nearly the gamble, imo.

That's pure speculation and has no real basis in reality. In 3 years, he might be a no brainer. I would gamble on him as soon as I would Clowney. Not nearly the gamble, imo.

well to be fair, you can say the same about all 300+ players that are draft eligible.

at this point, EVERY pick is a gamble, but i rather get the most value out of it.

"There's a lot of things I liked. There's a lot of things that you have to project for the future. You see the size. You see some arm strength. But then you see some things where he didn't hold the ball cleanly in the pocket. He presses at times. He can get streaky. He gets dangerous with the ball sometimes. And how many big games did he play in?" – NFC scout

Texans’ CB A.J. Bouye always thought Bortles was special
But Bouye is also very confident Bortles will make a good pro. The first thing he mentioned when asked about Bortles was the quarterback’s smarts. He said Bortles is “strong, smart, competitive.” Bouye also said the Texans wouldn’t have to worry about anything off the field. He called his former teammate a “good character guy.”

According to Bouye, Bortles isn’t one for drama. He called him “laid-back” and said the quarterback was pretty quiet and just took care of business in practice and in games.

But what really impresses Bouye about Bortles is the way the quarterback handles himself on the field.

“You just watch him and practice and in games, he just has so much composure,” Bouye said. “He never gets panicked. He’s just smart. And then, his build on top of that. He’s big, his height. And he has speed for his size. And what we really liked to see was that he would compete, not just with the teams in our conference but the SEC, the Big 12. He’s not intimidated by anybody...

I know you like Clowney, but I'm going to root for Bortles wherever he goes. He has this "counted out" aura about him that makes him work harder it seems being that he had to go to UCF. He had to really climb and carry that team and a lot of people are calling him overrated and not a first round pick type of guy, and I think that kind of stuff is going to make him a better pro as he'll remember that stuff for a long time. I could be wrong, but boy do I really hope that he ends up as a Texan.

I know you like Clowney, but I'm going to root for Bortles wherever he goes. He has this "counted out" aura about him that makes him work harder it seems being that he had to go to UCF. He had to really climb and carry that team and a lot of people are calling him overrated and not a first round pick type of guy, and I think that kind of stuff is going to make him a better pro as he'll remember that stuff for a long time. I could be wrong, but boy do I really hope that he ends up as a Texan.

I like him, as well, and he's got the clutch factor. That is something a player either has or not. No teaching available to make someone cool under pressure, especially at the end of games.

I just hope one of our division opponents doesn't get him.

Cant say a 3 year project thrills me at all.

Gruden makes me laugh at how he made him say his name 5 times fast.

"Eliminate the fire" Mr. Bortles.

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/cleanslate/cleanslate_bortles
As for the competition component, a simple question about the prospect of going No. 1 -- and going to work for O'Leary's old protégé, current Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien -- brings that out in spades.

"I wouldn't have left a year early if I wanted to go in the second round," Bortles says. "I wouldn't have left a year early if I thought I was gonna go 25th. I left early to be the No. 1 pick, no doubt about it. That's a goal. And on May 8, when I'm in New York City, I can sit there and say I've turned over every stone on this journey of mine, I've done all I can to be the first pick."

And if he's not?

If his path getting here is any guide, that wouldn't do much to knock him off course.

Last edited:
Most have seen this, but if not...
Bortles vs Clowney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WYd29xlmc04

Haven`t seen it till now, so thank you. I didn`t think either of them looked great in that clip. Bortles was inaccurate on some throws and made some really bad decisions. Plus the fumble was really bad.

Clowney got frustrated when he was double teamed. He definetly took some plays off. And he didn`t finish the sacks. But it was clear, that the other team was scheming against him and he still affected Bortles plenty. So overall I´d say he had the better game. Still, if he wants to live up to his "legacy" he needs to fight through double teams, don`t take plays off and finish with sacks. I think Crennel and Watt can teach him that.

Bortles reminds me more and more of Locker - which is not necessarily a bad thing. He needs to be more accurate and cut out the wtf throws. But he definetly doesn`t look like a potential #1 pick to me. Top 10, maybe - though I´d be more comfortable to take him at the end of the round. I really like, that he can step it up a notch when the game is on the line, and of course he has ideal size.

Haven`t seen it till now, so thank you. I didn`t think either of them looked great in that clip. Bortles was inaccurate on some throws and made some really bad decisions. Plus the fumble was really bad.

Clowney got frustrated when he was double teamed. He definetly took some plays off. And he didn`t finish the sacks. But it was clear, that the other team was scheming against him and he still affected Bortles plenty. So overall I´d say he had the better game. Still, if he wants to live up to his "legacy" he needs to fight through double teams, don`t take plays off and finish with sacks. I think Crennel and Watt can teach him that.

Bortles reminds me more and more of Locker - which is not necessarily a bad thing. He needs to be more accurate and cut out the wtf throws. But he definitely doesn't look like a potential #1 pick to me. Top 10, maybe - though I´d be more comfortable to take him at the end of the round. I really like, that he can step it up a notch when the game is on the line, and of course he has ideal size.

For me I was impressed with Bortles pocket presence and how well he avoided Clowney on several occasions. Locker never completed 60% of his passes, Locker's TD to INT ratio was atrocious and Locker's QB rating was considerably less than Bortles. I agree with some of your observations about Bortles. However when you consider the timing of his career and put things in perspective you expect some of the these mistakes from such a young QB. The USC game came very early in his second year as a starter. Bortles was a much better QB as the year progressed. If he had returned for his Senior year as a 3 year starter he would be even better and clearly the #1 QB in the 2015 draft and discussed in much the same way Andrew Luck was.

I think that Locker and Bortles are very similar. For all his faults, there was always a lot to like about Locker. He just needed to be coached up properly. I would say that Locker is a poor man's version of Bortles.

For me I was impressed with Bortles pocket presence and how well he avoided Clowney on several occasions. Locker never completed 60% of his passes, Locker's TD to INT ratio was atrocious and Locker's QB rating was considerably less than Bortles. I agree with some of your observations about Bortles. However when you consider the timing of his career and put things in perspective you expect some of the these mistakes from such a young QB. The USC game came very early in his second year as a starter. Bortles was a much better QB as the year progressed. If he had returned for his Senior year as a 3 year starter he would be even better and clearly the #1 QB in the 2015 draft and discussed in much the same way Andrew Luck was.

Yeah, his pocket presence was really good. Similar to Manning it`s mostly small steps that really took the defender out of the equation. And I didn´t mean the Locker comparison in a bad way. Both are real good runners with strong arms, that have some problems with accuracy and decision making. Like bah007 said, a well coached Locker could be a real good QB.

The thing about Bortles is: he has all the tools and you like his ability to step up when the game is on the line. But he still has so much to learn when it comes to accuracy and decision making. Bortles really should sit 1 season behind a veteran. He could turn out to be a great QB, but he definetly is still a good way away from that.

The tight end was pretty much assigned to double Clowney all game. That being said Clowney was definitely taking plays off which concerns me. Say what you will about not wanting to get hurt, etc., but I just don’t like that attitude in any athlete and attitude is not easy to coach.

Bortles made some mistakes and poor decisions, but what NFL quarterback (including the Bradys, Mannings, etc.) hasn’t on any given Sunday. Also this game was early in the season against the #6 team (at the time) in the country. Bortles has a ways to go, but I would love to see what O'Brien could do with him.

I agree, he is intruiging. Like I said, he has all the tools and prototypical size. He is tough to bring down, he is a good runner, he has a good arm, he can evade pressure and he plays best when the game is on the line. I think every QB coach would like to work with a guy like that, because they are probably sure, that they can turn him into a star. He has that potential.

But he has a huge bust potential as well. No, Manning doesn´t do the kind of mistakes Bortles does in this game (not that Bortles has to be on Mannings level yet). Some throws were really bad decisions, other throws were really inaccurate (and I am not talking about long balls). Those things are coachable - but those are things that have to improve for him to have any kind of career. The way he played in that game, he would`ve been killed in the NFL.

Like I said, Bortles should sit his first year - he just still has a lot to learn. Boom or bust player.

The tight end was pretty much assigned to double Clowney all game. That being said Clowney was definitely taking plays off which concerns me. Say what you will about not wanting to get hurt, etc., but I just don’t like that attitude in any athlete and attitude is not easy to coach.

Bortles made some mistakes and poor decisions, but what NFL quarterback (including the Bradys, Mannings, etc.) hasn’t on any given Sunday. Also this game was early in the season against the #6 team (at the time) in the country. Bortles has a ways to go, but I would love to see what O'Brien could do with him.

I agree, he is intruiging. Like I said, he has all the tools and prototypical size. He is tough to bring down, he is a good runner, he has a good arm, he can evade pressure and he plays best when the game is on the line. I think every QB coach would like to work with a guy like that, because they are probably sure, that they can turn him into a star. He has that potential.

But he has a huge bust potential as well. No, Manning doesn´t do the kind of mistakes Bortles does in this game (not that Bortles has to be on Mannings level yet). Some throws were really bad decisions, other throws were really inaccurate (and I am not talking about long balls). Those things are coachable - but those are things that have to improve for him to have any kind of career. The way he played in that game, he would`ve been killed in the NFL.

Like I said, Bortles should sit his first year - he just still has a lot to learn. Boom or bust player.

And what is the most important factor for me is his cool, calm and collected demeanor in delivering 4 game winning drives. The kid wants the ball in his hands in pressure situations and he delivers. You can't coach that. Either you have that mental makeup or you don't. It was this mental makeup that led Bill Walsh to draft Joe Montana and Bill Belichick to draft Tom Brady.

And what is the most important factor for me is his cool, calm and collected demeanor in delivering 4 game winning drives. The kid wants the ball in his hands in pressure situations and he delivers. You can't coach that. Either you have that mental makeup or you don't. It was this mental makeup that led Bill Walsh to draft Joe Montana and Bill Belichick to draft Tom Brady.

I agree, that`s what makes him the most intriguing. Pair that up with his size, his arm and the ability to make all the throws and you have a great prospect. But for me there are too many question marks around him to consider him with the first pick or even at the beginning of the first round. But if we take him, I´ll be happy with all the potential.

I agree, that`s what makes him the most intriguing. Pair that up with his size, his arm and the ability to make all the throws and you have a great prospect. But for me there are too many question marks around him to consider him with the first pick or even at the beginning of the first round. But if we take him, I´ll be happy with all the potential.

My thought process is if you have a guy who is often compared to Montana, Brady, Roethlisberger and Luck in his mental makeup, size, arm and running ability and has been able to do what Bortles has done in college in only 2 years as a starter, you got to take that chance. If he does turnout to be a composition of Montana, Brady, Roethlisberger and Luck and you pass on him it will be the biggest blunder in franchise history. Even worse is if Jacksonville drafts Bortles and he is the 2nd coming of Roethlisberger and Luck, what a headache for the Texans facing that and Andrew Luck 4 times a year. GOOD GRIEF!!!!

Last edited:
My thought process is if you have a guy who is often compared to Montana, Brady, Roethlisberger and Luck in his mental makeup, size, arm and running ability and has been able to do what Bortles has done in college in only 2 years, you got to take that chance. If he does turnout to be a composition of Montana, Brady, Roethlisberger and Luck and you pass on him it will be the biggest blunder in franchise history. Even worse is if Jacksonville drafts Bortles and he is the 2nd coming of Roethlisberger and Luck, what a headache for the Texans facing that and Andrew Luck 4 times a year. GOOD GRIEF!!!!

Yeah, but the same could be said about Manziel and Bridgewater. Manziel could be a whole new kind of star that wins several MVPs in a row - Bridgewater could have Mannings football IQ, decision making and accuracy inside 20 yards. Right now we don`t know if any of these QBs turn out good. The question is: who do you wanna take a chance on, and at what draft position are you comfortable with that.

Since several mock drafts have both Bridgewater and Manziel dropping (others have Bortles dropping), I guess I´d take bpa with #1 (Clowney or Robinson for me) and trade back up to get, whoever is left on the board late in the first. But my favorite guy out of the 3 is Bridgewater.

I think that Locker and Bortles are very similar. For all his faults, there was always a lot to like about Locker. He just needed to be coached up properly. I would say that Locker is a poor man's version of Bortles.

Agreed. I've compared him to Locker throughout the process although he is a lot further along as a passer which is why I have also compared him to Tannehill, who is a more natural thrower than Locker.

Rutgers players provide scouting report on top QB prospects:

The Scarlet Knights faced Central Florida's Blake Bortles, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Fresno State's David Carr last season. All of the quarterbacks had their way with Rutgers, contributing to the worst pass defense in school history. "The best one to me was Blake Bortles," defensive tackle Darius Hamilton said. "I just felt like not only was he a great player, but he made his team a lot better. They were a good team, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like he was the quarterback who made his team a lot better."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/05/nfl_draft_2014_rutgers_players_provide_scouting_report_on_top_qb_prospects.html

Rutgers players provide scouting report on top QB prospects:

The Scarlet Knights faced Central Florida's Blake Bortles, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Fresno State's David Carr last season. All of the quarterbacks had their way with Rutgers, contributing to the worst pass defense in school history. "The best one to me was Blake Bortles," defensive tackle Darius Hamilton said. "I just felt like not only was he a great player, but he made his team a lot better. They were a good team, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like he was the quarterback who made his team a lot better."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...vide_scouting_report_on_top_qb_prospects.html

Repped.

It's got quotes about Bridgewater and Carr too.

BnCmnryCYAAHNqo.jpg

Teddy and Blake playing 60.

Bortles showing midget reporters one of his QB traits...

[IMGwidthsize=400]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnC3UjWIcAIi9yy.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:
Radio Interview with Bortles:

Don't tell UCF quarterback Blake Bortles that a college education isn't valuable.

It's so valuable, in fact, that Bortles says that the first big-ticket item he will buy after signing an NFL contract is not a fancy car or a big house but his little brother's college education.

The UCF quarterback, who is expected to be a top pick in Thursday's NFL draft, is very close to his brother Colby -- a freshman infielder who is on a partial baseball scholarship at Ole Miss.

"Those baseball scholarships are funky," Bortles said Wednesday on our Open Mike radio show, "so the first big thing I'm going to pay for is the rest of my brother's college education."

video.orlandosentinel.com?freewheel=90022&sitesection=seorlandosentinel&VID=25964972

Ben Roethlisberger would choose Blake Bortles over Johnny Manziel

“I talked to Blake, and I know Blake has that fiery chip,” Roethlisberger said on 93.7 FM in Pittsburgh, via the Tribune Review. “I think he's going to be the best one of the group because I see something in him, his competitiveness, his leadership. And I think he's got a lot of upside.”

But that's not to say Roethlisberger doesn't think Manziel can find professional success. He even said Manziel could be a star early in his career. What Roethlisberger worries about, though, is the long-term viability of allowing Manziel to make plays outside of the pocket.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24553660/ben-roethlisberger-would-choose-blake-bortles-over-johnny-manziel

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 25m

Bortles is believed to be the top QB on the board for the #Raiders, but not getting a feeling that they would draft a QB at #5.

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 32m

---> @RapSheet: @mikefreemanNFL Bortles is the top QB on the #Cowboys board.”

9/14/13 UCF @ PennSt. Bortles has very good game to beat the Lions and BOB (future Texans HC).

10/18/13 UCF @ Louisville Bortles goes to Teddy's house and beats the Cardinals with Game Winnning Drive.

1/1/14 UCF's first BCS Bowl, are the biggest underdogs BCS bowl history, Bortles beats Baylor, Art Briles and Petty decisively

1/3/14 BOB is hired as Texans HC.

BOB was hired and mentored to by Coach O'Leary at Ga Tech. O'Leary is Bortles HC at UCF.

Godsey Texans QB coach was a O'Leary QB at Ga Tech

O'Brien is an offensive minded coach.

Bortles performs well at the NFL Combine

Bortles has a very good pro day w/ primary Texans staff/mgmt in attendance.

Fitzpatrick signed the day after Bortles Pro Day.

McNair comments not long after that a rookie QB should and learn a while before starting.

Bortles is a prototype NFL QB and everything BOB looks for in a QB.

Stay Focused. Don't let media & group think get you confused.

Last edited:
Here’s my take:
Bortles at #1 at this point would be a shocker. That being said, I think BOB would take Bortles #1 if it were not for other influences. I think we will ultimately lower the asking price and trade with Atlanta to grab him at #5.

Lol if I was a mod and could check IPs, I'm willing to bet two accounts in this thread are from the same person.

Pathetic.:swatter:

Back