Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson Thread

Andre Johnson surprised at uncle's words, hasn't considered pay cut

I'm thinking Uncle Melton got into the egg-nog and started writing checks on Andre's account...

Or ChronBrianSmith has some 'splainin to do. :strangle:

Regardless, Andre has no leverage. He will have to pay cut here, or take one somewhere else.

His uncle has been a terrible advisor throughout his career. Yes, he's gotten some extensions, but those extensions have turned out not to be favorable for him.

I still like the guy, though.

I still like the guy, though.

As do I, to a fault. GOAT, imo. (I'll happily stand alone with that.)

0567248001414430011_filepicker.jpg

Regardless, Andre has no leverage. He will have to pay cut here, or take one somewhere else.

Not exactly true. If the Texans want to win they have to understand our chances of winning are better with Andre than without. If they're willing to let Andre walk, which I don't think they are, & Andre doesn't think they are, then they are willing to tie one hand behind their back.

We are not hurting for cap space. We don't have as much as other teams, but that is not a necessity. We can absolutely field a competitive team next season without Andre taking a pay cut.

For whatever reason, we have fans who will look at our salary cap & complain about how much space we do not have, yet they'll never tell you how much we "need" to have.

The cap will go up in 2015. We know that. Everyone knows it. We don't know how much. Most estimates are that it will go to $140M giving us $11M without any moves.

& finally, if the Texans agree that it is reasonable to carry Andre Johnson on our roster for another 3 years, they can structure an extension where he gets "reasonable" compensation over that time period, lowering his cap-hit over that time, without taking a "pay-cut"

Not exactly true. If the Texans want to win they have to understand our chances of winning are better with Andre than without. If they're willing to let Andre walk, which I don't think they are, & Andre doesn't think they are, then they are willing to tie one hand behind their back.

We are not hurting for cap space. We don't have as much as other teams, but that is not a necessity. We can absolutely field a competitive team next season without Andre taking a pay cut.

For whatever reason, we have fans who will look at our salary cap & complain about how much space we do not have, yet they'll never tell you how much we "need" to have.

The cap will go up in 2015. We know that. Everyone knows it. We don't know how much. Most estimates are that it will go to $140M giving us $11M without any moves.

& finally, if the Texans agree that it is reasonable to carry Andre Johnson on our roster for another 3 years, they can structure an extension where he gets "reasonable" compensation over that time period, lowering his cap-hit over that time, without taking a "pay-cut"
Exactly TK and in my recent thread about 2015 roster we could be looking at roster of apprx $110 million with only major loss be Johnathan Joseph. Also, let's not forget Watts 2015 can be moved to a bonus freeing up several more millions if needed. i would like to see us go after a FA RT.

Exactly TK and in my recent thread about 2015 roster we could be looking at roster of apprx $110 million with only major loss be Johnathan Joseph. Also, let's not forget Watts 2015 can be moved to a bonus freeing up several more millions if needed. i would like to see us go after a FA RT.

I think Newton has stepped up this year, i see no need to find a FA RT, if anything i would say a pretty good FA WR to go along with AJ and Hopkins, because everyone behind them is jest eww...

I think Newton has stepped up this year, i see no need to find a FA RT, if anything i would say a pretty good FA WR to go along with AJ and Hopkins, because everyone behind them is jest eww...
I agree on Newton and have been one if not his biggest defender on MB but if we could pick up a starter or even a good back up OT, it is a must. We have nothing behind Newton either and at least we can throw to TEs and RBs. An average RT which we have had behind Newton since Winston left can still protect the Qb enough for ball to fly. An average WR is nothing. This draft is one we can really start correcting out depth as we have not before. Also of the six WR on roster 2014 only two did anything and that is why on my thread, I go with only four. You stock the PS with a couple and there you go.

There's no way I'm not drafting a potential starter at OT in the next draft.

If there's a young unsung guy out there in FA that's just needing a chance to show that he could start... I'd go for it. Especially if the guy is familiar with what the Texans are going to be doing.

But Newton has shown to be good enough......

& good enough kills your roster in the NFL.

There's no way I'm not drafting a potential starter at OT in the next draft.

If there's a young unsung guy out there in FA that's just needing a chance to show that he could start... I'd go for it. Especially if the guy is familiar with what the Texans are going to be doing.

But Newton has shown to be good enough......

& good enough kills your roster in the NFL.

We have a damn good OT, and an OK RT, i can live with that, plus Newton has played better than ok this season IMO. I do agree we need OT depth so i caould see some late round pick ups and a few FA pick ups.

BUT i think early in the draft you go high on what you need, to me that is a ILB, DT, Safety. And then a WR along with a receiving TE which we really need.

We have a damn good OT, and an OK RT, i can live with that, plus Newton has played better than ok this season IMO. I do agree we need OT depth so i caould see some late round pick ups and a few FA pick ups.

BUT i think early in the draft you go high on what you need, to me that is a ILB, DT, Safety. And then a WR along with a receiving TE which we really need.

Right now, we know that our QB knows how to get the ball out of his hand quickly, or at least on time... whether we're talking Mallett, or that guy that showed up in Fitz's jersey the last couple of games.

What I'd like is to hear the announcers (who generally don't know a lot about what's going on) say, "He's got all kinds of time" several times a game when we have the ball.

As far as "need" goes, that depends on what you want to do. If you want to impose your will on the other team, our OL needs to be better. We've got a lot of rushing yards this season, no doubt. But most of that is because we've got a badass behind the LOS.

Put XSF at LG. Put Newton at RG. Get a better RT, solves your depth problem, beefs up the OL, & solves the RT issue.

Then our QB may be able to stand behind the LOS long enough for our TEs to get open. Or our back up RB can 4+ ypc.

I think recent games show ILB and DT are not our highest priorities although I do address them in lower rounds. I do agree with you on safety and mine would decrease need for corner help.

You do realize that the Texans biggest needs are on the offensive side of the ball. Look at last game, the defense was great and the offense struggled. This needs to be rectified and a WR or two with speed in the draft/FA will go along way to rectifying this.

The Cowboys have proven that a stud OL can makeup for a multitude of problems on a team. The Texans OL is avg and adding a stud OT would go a long way to helping both the offense and the defense. I also wouldn't have a problem if Smith picked an OT like Clemmings in the 1st rd. I really like the way Newton looked at RG and if XSF can improve this offseason then the OL will be set.

I agree a LB that can cover should be a priority. I like Nate Orchard in the 2nd.

You do realize that the Texans biggest needs are on the offensive side of the ball. Look at last game, the defense was great and the offense struggled. This needs to be rectified and a WR or two with speed in the draft/FA will go along way to rectifying this.

The Cowboys have proven that a stud OL can makeup for a multitude of problems on a team. The Texans OL is avg and adding a stud OT would go a long way to helping both the offense and the defense. I also wouldn't have a problem if Smith picked an OT like Clemmings in the 1st rd. I really like the way Newton looked at RG and if XSF can improve this offseason then the OL will be set.

I agree a LB that can cover should be a priority. I like Nate Orchard in the 2nd.

Texans biggest need is speed on all 3 sides of the ball

Texans biggest need is speed on all 3 sides of the ball

Yep

Gaine has done a great job adding speed in the secondary picking guys up off of the WW. (Morris/Rolle) Speed at LB needs to be added next. That will give badly needed help to the ST's. I know that you already know this.

If I were Smith my priorities would be to add a couple of low cost FA's Justin Durant ILB that can cover TE's (Torn Pec) with the Cowboys and Virgil Green TE Broncos. Not much playing time behind Julius Thomas. But he can run and impressed me when he played with Kaepernick at Nevada.

Yep

Gaine has done a great job adding speed in the secondary picking guys up off of the WW. (Morris/Rolle) Speed at LB needs to be added next. That will give badly needed help to the ST's. I know that you already know this.

If I were Smith my priorities would be to add a couple of low cost FA's Justin Durant ILB that can cover TE's (Torn Pec) with the Cowboys and Virgil Green TE Broncos. Not much playing time behind Julius Thomas. But he can run and impressed me when he played with Kaepernick at Nevada.
Sorry to be disagreeable but watching games show we get players down field fast on kick returns, we just don't stop the advancement of the ball either missing tackles or getting a flag. Our return guys are the problem on ST as punt returners Demaris Johnson & Martin avg only 6 yds and Manning on KR get 20.3 and many of those are from end zone so he is getting tackled + risking a fumble for .3 per attempt.

I'm okay with faster LBs (backups)but not for ST only.

Sorry to be disagreeable but watching games show we get players down field fast on kick returns, we just don't stop the advancement of the ball either missing tackles or getting a flag. Our return guys are the problem on ST as punt returners Demaris Johnson & Martin avg only 6 yds and Manning on KR get 20.3 and many of those are from end zone so he is getting tackled + risking a fumble for .3 per attempt.

I'm okay with faster LBs (backups)but not for ST only.

I'm not a fan of our return guys, but no... the other teams man is normally in front of our man, we don't have a guy between the returner & their guy. They get beat on speed. Even when we try to double the dudes at the LOS, they get past our guys because they're too wussified to put a hit on the guy & he runs right past them.

Our returners seldom has a chance to return a punt.

Then when Shane punts, he's got to be careful not to out kick the coverage teams. Instead of flipping the field, like he can, he's got to go for hang time so that a 47 yard punt doesn't turn into a disaster.

Thank you so very much for all you have done for the Texans! It is my hope that you remain a Texan next year. But if you end up elsewhere, I wish you well. Thank you for another great season in 2014!!

Thank you Andre!!!

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we saw the last game of AJ in a Texans uni. I hope I'm wrong, and he does take a pay cut, but I highly doubt that will happen.

I don't know of these teams' cap situation, but I can see teams like the Seahawks, Chargers, Ravens, 49ers or Chiefs to overpay for his services. AJ knowing that his time is almost up in this league, I can't blame him for trying to get as much money as he can before calling it quits.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we saw the last game of AJ in a Texans uni. I hope I'm wrong, and he does take a pay cut, but I highly doubt that will happen.

I don't know of these teams' cap situation, but I can see teams like the Seahawks, Chargers, Ravens, 49ers or Chiefs to overpay for his services. AJ knowing that his time is almost up in this league, I can't blame him for trying to get as much money as he can before calling it quits.

I think this was his last game personally. They're likely to ask him to restructure and I think he'll want to test the market and get a change of scenery. You can't blame the guy.

Great interview with him just shown on abc's inside the game. That was a different demeanor from Andre, and may indicate the end is near. A great performance today, and if it is the end, a wonderful way to go out. He's truly this franchise's first superstar and has set an incredibly high bar for those that follow him.

You guys can hate on me for saying this, but the reason
Dre looked good with Keenum and not with StinkyPete(tm)
is because of the hold-out.

I think fuzz-face took it personally when #80 showed up
late for the season (because it appeared to most that Dre didn't
want to play for Obrien/Fitz)

I think Mr. Harvard pitched a btch-fit and decided he was
gonna ignore Dre and favor the other receivers/TE.

That's the only explanation that makes sense for me. I don't
think Dre is the type of guy that has 14 "down games" and
just miraculously looks like a pro-bowler for the last two..

There has to be more there, and the way he played with Keenum
raises a red flag for me.

You guys can hate on me for saying this, but the reason
Dre looked good with Keenum and not with StinkyPete(tm)
is because of the hold-out.

I think fuzz-face took it personally when #80 showed up
late for the season (because it appeared to most that Dre didn't
want to play for Obrien/Fitz)

I think Mr. Harvard pitched a btch-fit and decided he was
gonna ignore Dre and favor the other receivers/TE.

That's the only explanation that makes sense for me. I don't
think Dre is the type of guy that has 14 "down games" and
just miraculously looks like a pro-bowler for the last two..

There has to be more there, and the way he played with Keenum
raises a red flag for me.

AJ led the team in targets for just about every game Fitz started. Also, statistically, AJ didn't have that great of a game against Baltimore.

AJ led the team in targets for just about every game Fitz started. Also, statistically, AJ didn't have that great of a game against Baltimore.

Unfortunately, Fitz's targets were always 2 steps behind or into the ground 2 paces from AJ...

:cheese:

A lot of depth at WR in this next draft.

An see us cutting loose and drafting high.

Not what I wanted but what I think is going to happen.

You guys are nuts to think Bob Mcnair is going to let AJ play anywhere but Houston, it won't happen. You can all say what you want but Mr Mcnair is about as loyal as they come, he told AJ last off season he would retire a Texans, and i fully expect Mcnair and Co to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Unfortunately, Fitz's targets were always 2 steps behind or into the ground 2 paces from AJ...

:cheese:

For being so erratic, Fitz did end up completing better than 63 percent of his passes with the 4th highest YPA in the NFL and a 95.3 quarterback rating, though admittedly his chemistry with AJ all season was disappointing. And while Keenum was hitting AJ, what happened to his throws/timing with DHop? Completely off...AJ played a good game yesterday and seemed to be playing with more intensity and getting open a lot more. It didn't appear that he was drawing double coverage as frequently, and Case made some good throws to him, though many of his yards came from simple WR screens.

You guys can hate on me for saying this, but the reason Dre looked good with Keenum and not with StinkyPete(tm) is because of the hold-out.

I think fuzz-face took it personally when #80 showed up late for the season (because it appeared to most that Dre didn't want to play for Obrien/Fitz)

I think Mr. Harvard pitched a btch-fit and decided he was gonna ignore Dre and favor the other receivers/TE.

That's the only explanation that makes sense for me. I don't think Dre is the type of guy that has 14 "down games" and just miraculously looks like a pro-bowler for the last two..

There has to be more there, and the way he played with Keenum raises a red flag for me.

Well, he looked better with Keenum last year than he did with Schaub. What's your theory there? The truth is, Keenum is an inexperienced QB and AJ is the first guy in his read progression most times.

Well, he looked better with Keenum last year than he did with Schaub. What's your theory there? The truth is, Keenum is an inexperienced QB and AJ is the first guy in his read progression most times.

My theory is that StinkyPete(tm) took Dre's holdout personally.
So he decided that #80 was going to be the last read in the
progression most of the time.

When you are the last read, the pass is more likely to be rushed and
off target. When you are the last read, you are more likely to have
tighter coverage as the defense has more time to react to you.

It's just my CSI analysis of the huge difference between Dre with Stinky
vs. Keenum.

Also, I'm not so sure the timing between D-Hop and Case was that
big of an issue. D-Hop has been making freak, off-balance, one handed
type catches all year -- and a lot of those balls from Fitz weren't
bulls-eyes either..

D-Hop just didn't pull in that one ball. Had he not batted it twice, it
probably hits the ground behind him instead of falling into the lap
of the defender running laterally with him..

Just a bad break.

And you don't think any of the coaches could tell this...and you can?

OB would have chewed Fitz' ass a couple times and then benched him in game #3. Fitz has slow decision making, doesn't see the middle of the field and poor ball placement. Every once in awhile he gets a wild hair and wings one and makes folks think otherwise.

It's just my CSI analysis of the huge difference between Dre with Stinky
vs. Keenum.

Also, I'm not so sure the timing between D-Hop and Case was that
big of an issue. D-Hop has been making freak, off-balance, one handed
type catches all year -- and a lot of those balls from Fitz weren't
bulls-eyes either..

D-Hop just didn't pull in that one ball. Had he not batted it twice, it
probably hits the ground behind him instead of falling into the lap
of the defender running laterally with him..

Just a bad break.

So why didn't you comment on the fact that AJ lead the team in targets for all games but two when Fitz was the QB? Doesn't quite support your theory.

AJ Nuk
Week 1) 9 5
2) 7 5
3) 11 9
4) 7 6
5) 8 6
6) 12 2
7) 9 9
8) 12 11
9) 7 11
13) 11 9
14) 4 6

This! ^^^

Yes, a much more plausible theory.

I did comment, you just didn't understand it.

Let me try another way:

If the QB is a nanosecond away from being hit as he releases
the ball -- or the receiver is double covered by the time the ball
gets to him -- the number of targets doesn't matter.

The catch isn't likely to be made..

That is what happens to a receiver who is almost always the
last read, and the QB is rushing to get the ball out.

---Which is what my hypothetical was in the first place.
(IE: StinkyPete playing favorites with D-Hop or the backs, etc.)

So why didn't you comment on the fact that AJ lead the team in targets for all games but two when Fitz was the QB? Doesn't quite support your theory.

AJ Nuk
Week 1) 9 5
2) 7 5
3) 11 9
4) 7 6
5) 8 6
6) 12 2
7) 9 9
8) 12 11
9) 7 11
13) 11 9
14) 4 6

I did comment, you just didn't understand it.

Let me try another way:

If the QB is a nanosecond away from being hit as he releases
the ball -- or the receiver is double covered by the time the ball
gets to him -- the number of targets doesn't matter.

The catch isn't likely to be made..

That is what happens to a receiver who is almost always the
last read, and the QB is rushing to get the ball out.

---Which is what my hypothetical was in the first place.
(IE: StinkyPete playing favorites with D-Hop or the backs, etc.)

I was going to respond to this, but I need to stop wasting my time.

Speedfreek makes a great point. I can see a Fitz feeling butthurt if a wr holds out due to their contempt towards the new QB. I can see Fitz changing plays at the los to benefits other players not wearing #80. But then again Nuk was making better back shoulder catches than Dre, which seems to be Fitz favorite throws.

You guys are nuts to think Bob Mcnair is going to let AJ play anywhere but Houston, it won't happen. You can all say what you want but Mr Mcnair is about as loyal as they come, he told AJ last off season he would retire a Texans, and i fully expect Mcnair and Co to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Yep. People can project their thoughts and be armchair GMs until they are blue in the face, but there is only one opinion that truly matters in this discussion.

114_Texans-Bengals_010513_MCW.jpg

"By the way, Bob McNair wants Andre Johnson to finish his career as a Texan. So he will. No trade. No cut."
~ Pancakes

Yep. People can project their thoughts and be armchair GMs until they are blue in the face, but there is only one opinion that truly matters in this discussion.

114_Texans-Bengals_010513_MCW.jpg

"By the way, Bob McNair wants Andre Johnson to finish his career as a Texan. So he will. No trade. No cut."
~ Pancakes

Doesn't get a vote, but another guy who doesn't want to see AJ gone:

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://media.culturemap.com/crop/ca/9b/800x600/J.J.-Watt-Andre-Johnson-hug_014411.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://media.culturemap.com/crop/ca/9b/800x600/J.J.-Watt-Andre-Johnson-hug_014411.jpg[/IMG]

Nope, did you see that big hug AJ gave watt after the safety/sack. AJ isn't going anywhere, and i wouldn't want him to.

Those armchair GMs might not want Andre to be going anywhere. I mean we already need two or three WRs with him on the roster

Nope, did you see that big hug AJ gave watt after the safety/sack. AJ isn't going anywhere, and i wouldn't want him to.

I'm not a cap expert... what's the likelihood of being able to keep AJ's 16mil cap hit on the books, but still be able to re-sign Mallet & KJ?

I'm also expecting JoJo to be cut, and then Lewis & Manning are UFAs. I'm hoping to be able to re-sign Lewis & Manning as well.

I'm not a cap expert... what's the likelihood of being able to keep AJ's 16mil cap hit on the books, but still be able to re-sign Mallet & KJ?

I'm also expecting JoJo to be cut, and then Lewis & Manning are UFAs. I'm hoping to be able to re-sign Lewis & Manning as well.

Mallet will be fairly cheap, and i believe KJ will be pretty reasonable as well. We are fine as far as the cap is concerned.

As things stand with AJ and JJo the Texans have a little under $130 mil committed with the cap for next year expected to be $141 mil ish.

Not sure why you want to resign Manning at this point and I think we can improve on Lewis

Excellent point. He doesn't get a vote, but he's got a huge and very influential lobby. ;)

With the way that O'Brien spoke of A.J., coupled with Mr. McNair's very consistent perspective about him retiring as a Houston Texan, I think it's just a matter of working out the details. All indications from A.J. recently is that he wants to finish his career in Houston, as well, so in my mind this is a no-brainer non-story.

And fwiw, I think 'legacy players' like A.J. can often inspire teammates, especially toward the end of their careers when the rest of the team feels like they are winning for a greater cause.

I just worked out a series of 1 year extensions over the next three years that reduces the cap hit, keeps AJ from a reduction in salary and let's AJ remain a Texan (per McNair) as age reduces him from an Elite receiver to a mid tier receiver.

Current
Year Base (Signing Bonus) (Other Bonus) (Cap Hit) (Cash to AJ)
2015 $10,500,000 $4,644,583 $1,000,000 $16,144,583 $11,500,000
2016 $11,000,000 $2,675,000 $1,000,000 $14,675,000 $12,000,000

First Extension
2015 $1,500,000 $7,644,583 $1,000,000 $10,144,583 $11,000,000
2016 $6,000,000 $5,675,000 $1,000,000 $12,675,000 $7,000,000
2017 $1,500,000 $7,175,000 $1,000,000 $9,675,000 $7,000,000

Second extension
2016 $6,000,000 $4,500,000 $1,000,000 $11,500,000 $7,000,000
2017 $1,500,000 $1,500,000 $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $2,500,000
2018 $6,000,000 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $10,000,000 $7,000,000

Third Extension
2017 $1,500,000 $6,000,000 $1,000,000 $8,500,000 $7,000,000
2018 $4,000,000 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $8,000,000 $5,000,000
2019 $1,500,000 $1,500,000 $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $2,500,000

Now we would probably extend with higher base salaries, but this is a template which accomplishes the three goals.

Some of the numbers are off, but the point is that there is a way.

Last edited:
Back