RCB Rolle .5----Hal .5
K Bullock .7----P Lechler 2.0 ----LS Weeks .8
Dead $ 600K Non injury Quessenberry $ .6

Total towards cap 46 players= $109 + $1.0(dead & Q)=$110m+ 7 draft +8PS

Draft: 1.15 WR Parker 2.47 S Prewitt 3.79 OT J.Fisher 4.111 ILB/OLB J. Ryan
5.143 OLB/DE/TE Lyndon Trail 6.175 OT/OG Jamil Douglas 7.207 DE/DT
Henry Anderson

Thanks for the info!

Would love that draft. Especially the first 3 picks. Do you really think Fisher will be there in the 3rd?

Thanks for the info!

Would love that draft. Especially the first 3 picks. Do you really think Fisher will be there in the 3rd?
good question on Fisher who is currently ranked #70 and a reason I had Drango in second on my last mock;decided to return to Douglas as my fall back. Douglas is much better than his ranking and you should watch him pull at his size! TBH, I am thinking that Smith may go spend some money on a high quality RT which would decrease need for early OT. Then I'd look at WR Rashad Green if there or WR Justin Hardy.

Season over:

Brooks Reed, wanted to bring him back but 2.56 tackles per game not doing it for me although seemed to end the season being more of a player. I do not bring him back but team might if he accepts nachos and a 12 pack.

I'd like to see Tuggle moved back to OLB 6'3 249 and Mohamed to left ILB.

Can Hal be our kick returner? He did fairly well at Vanderbilt.

Is Ben Jones ready to move to Center?

Myers said in an interview that Houston is his home and he'd like to continue playing here. But he recognizes the game is a business and accepts that he might be released.

Myers said in an interview that Houston is his home and he'd like to continue playing here. But he recognizes the game is a business and accepts that he might be released.

Will he get blown up less at center than at guard?

A lot of his problems seem to be cranial flatulence and that's about the last thing you want in a center, just edging out looking like Pee Wee Herman.

yep, center should be the most intelligent player on the field. I don't think Jones can handle it

Maybe so, but he played the position and made the line calls for four years at Georgia. And we need to resign Newton and Jackson, at a minimum, and that's going to take maybe $10M in cuts elsewhere. I see Myers and Graham as candidates for the ax.

I would love to bring Newton back at a fair clip. May get too much money.
I'm thinking most of our FAs will return as excitement of new coaches + Ws versus last season have them drooling to push on. If fans do the "what if we had just won..or if Clowney ...or if we had just had a consistent, healthy QB.." so do the players. Not to get too kool aidey here but if the picks from '14 return healthy AND play as hoped for + we have another good draft (barring injuries)we should have very good, deep roster. I think the Oline like the system (we could do better with Oline coach) and if X and Brooks solidify..whooee.

Jackson is only one I am concerned about as I have been saying a team or two will offer him big $. A recent listen on radio found several talking heads saying same thing including this boards favorite whipping boy, John McClain. This is why on my OP above I move Joseph and use that $8.5m. I just realized last night that I had not taken his dead $ into account so would have to add $3.75m to cap.

This is why on my OP above I move Joseph and use that $8.5m. I just realized last night that I had not taken his dead $ into account so would have to add $3.75m to cap.

Johnathan Joseph's cap hit for 2015 would be $12.25M. If you're calculating $8.5M in savings, then you're already accounting for the $3.75M in dead money.

If you figure our current cap is at $129M with Joseph & the 2015 cap will be set at $140M, that's $11M we have to work with. Cutting Joseph will add $8.5M to that number for $19M.

No need to add the dead money.

I would hope so but only coaches know that one. Ben Jones last year is 2015 & since his value at starting LG has been established and he will use a renewed Newton's deal to negotiate upwards. I'd love to see X start and Jones move to b/up center but no reason to think that will occur.

How about if Myers is given a new 3 year deal this off season thru 2017 lowering his cap hit? He will be 36 Sept of that year. Love him or not the guy just keeps on starting.

I wonder who we, would rather keep j joe or k Jackson ....???

Maybe we go cb round 1

Hopefully if they Cushing will restructure to add a bit, try and restructure AJ, team needs to luck out on Ryan Mallett really, if he signs for Fitz money for 3 years and proves to be what some think he can be then we are going to be a good team for a long time.

It's time for Rick Smith to make some great contract moves, if he can pull down the cap number on the likes of AJ, Cushing and JoJo then we can bring in a couple of mid range FAs to make this team a better fit for OBs plans and then give draftees the time to develop.

If Mallett is crap, or they screw this golden opportunity to get the cap under control then the regime won't pan out imho. It's make or break.

Maybe we go cb round 1

oh I think age alone says keep KJ if you have to choose between the two. Hopefully we keep both at friendly #'s

I would hope so but only coaches know that one. Ben Jones last year is 2015 & since his value at starting LG has been established and he will use a renewed Newton's deal to negotiate upwards. I'd love to see X start and Jones move to b/up center but no reason to think that will occur.

How about if Myers is given a new 3 year deal this off season thru 2017 lowering his cap hit? He will be 36 Sept of that year. Love him or not the guy just keeps on starting.
Jones has 20 lbs on Myers and was pretty well thought of as a center coming out of Georgia. With the added pounds I think he could anchor the middle of the line more stoutly. I'm not displeased with Myers, just looking for options to make the line even better. If X could improve to take over LG next season, then Jones would be free to move over to OC.

Hopefully if they Cushing will restructure to add a bit, try and restructure AJ, team needs to luck out on Ryan Mallett really, if he signs for Fitz money for 3 years and proves to be what some think he can be then we are going to be a good team for a long time.

It's time for Rick Smith to make some great contract moves, if he can pull down the cap number on the likes of AJ, Cushing and JoJo then we can bring in a couple of mid range FAs to make this team a better fit for OBs plans and then give draftees the time to develop.

If Mallett is crap, or they screw this golden opportunity to get the cap under control then the regime won't pan out imho. It's make or break.
If I am anywhere close in my prediction of a team salary of say $120 m, why would you put us back into cap problems by restructuring older/injured players? Let them play it out 2015 and then decide to cut. My understanding from CnD is Cushing will not get better so don't extend him. If Brian can match the 71 tackles from this season, we can coach up his replacement.

Cap projection 140-160 minus 120 (team) = $20 m to $40 m room without turning Watt's $22m to bonus. We can play with big boys in free agency IF we want to. Cap space only important if you can sign someone. I think we have done better with the Mohameds, Lewis, Pickett, Lechlers, Tuggle, Morris, etc than the Ed Reed and Mannings.

Jones has 20 lbs on Myers and was pretty well thought of as a center coming out of Georgia. With the added pounds I think he could anchor the middle of the line more stoutly. I'm not displeased with Myers, just looking for options to make the line even better. If X could improve to take over LG next season, then Jones would be free to move over to OC.
I have debated your position but it is about more than 20 pounds.

He has trouble moving defenders backward Jones has trouble with his footwork in many aspects of the game. He is savvy enough to overcome it, but is exposed when he is in open space attempting to pull, where his feet can get very choppy. He is a very non-explosive blocker who relies on his ability to mirror and his overall strength.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/ben-jones?id=2532883

Maybe we go cb round 1
We keep Jackson if we can. And I'm still waiting to see if juniors Trae Waynes, Michigan State, and Ronald Darby, Florida State, declare for the draft. Jalen Collins, LSU, has already declared. These three, plus senior Ekpre-Okomu, Oregon, are as fine a group of CB's, with size and speed, to come along in a while.

We still need to see if we resign Newton. If we don't then I think RT moves to the top of the list. He hasn't declared yet, but I'm liking Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame. I've also got my eye on senior RT Daryl Williams, Oklahoma and senior RT/OG La'el Collins, LSU. Also, senior Jake Fisher, Oregon, who played RT before moving to the left side because of an injury.

I'm confident in Jones. Ferentz looked pretty good during preseason

If I am anywhere close in my prediction of a team salary of say $120 m, why would you put us back into cap problems by restructuring older/injured players? Let them play it out 2015 and then decide to cut. My understanding from CnD is Cushing will not get better so don't extend him. If Brian can match the 71 tackles from this season, we can coach up his replacement.

Cap projection 140-160 minus 120 (team) = $20 m to $40 m room without turning Watt's $22m to bonus. We can play with big boys in free agency IF we want to. Cap space only important if you can sign someone. I think we have done better with the Mohameds, Lewis, Pickett, Lechlers, Tuggle, Morris, etc than the Ed Reed and Mannings.

Currently the team has $129.4m committed to the Top 51 contracts on the team for 2015. Excluding any free agents the team intends to sign (unknown $), signing the draft class (about $5m in cap space), and accounting for any incentives and escalators that could hit with Brooks, Jones, Crick.

This is without any re-workings of current deals.

I have debated your position but it is about more than 20 pounds.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/ben-jones?id=2532883
He has trouble moving defenders backward Jones has trouble with his footwork in many aspects of the game. He is savvy enough to overcome it, but is exposed when he is in open space attempting to pull, where his feet can get very choppy. He is a very non-explosive blocker who relies on his ability to mirror and his overall strength.

I like him at guard, thought he played well up until the last three games or so. Maybe due to an injury we don't know about.

As a rookie we started him on the right side. Accounting for rookies being rookies, I thought he played exceptionally well. He was very much like Myers, exploding off the line, getting to the second level & putting solid blocks on whoever he found out there as well as Myers carrying an extra 20lbs.

I thought he looked weak on the line, & required help on intial contact, just like Myers.

He didn't play at all in 2013. 2014 they started him on the left side of the line & I thought he was much improved. He was the primary guy we pulled. IF we were going to pull, it was either Jones pulling to the right side, or even outside the left tackle, or Derek Newton pulling to the left side.

No one pulled more on our OL than those two & it was more Jones than anyone else.

However, XSF is going to play in 2015. They consistently tried to stick him on the left side. I don't know if that's because of his familiarity with the left side, or because they see something in Jones they don't like. Even though I think Jones was our best OL overall for the entire season, if I had to guess, he's probably out of a starting job.

I don't believe OB & his group sees Jones as a center.

Currently the team has $129.4m committed to the Top 51 contracts on the team for 2015. Excluding any free agents the team intends to sign (unknown $), signing the draft class (about $5m in cap space), and accounting for any incentives and escalators that could hit with Brooks, Jones, Crick.

This is without any re-workings of current deals.
yes but as my OP says I want to cut joseph and some other bench guys.

I like him at guard, thought he played well up until the last three games or so. Maybe due to an injury we don't know about.

As a rookie we started him on the right side. Accounting for rookies being rookies, I thought he played exceptionally well. He was very much like Myers, exploding off the line, getting to the second level & putting solid blocks on whoever he found out there as well as Myers carrying an extra 20lbs.

I thought he looked weak on the line, & required help on intial contact, just like Myers.

He didn't play at all in 2013. 2014 they started him on the left side of the line & I thought he was much improved. He was the primary guy we pulled. IF we were going to pull, it was either Jones pulling to the right side, or even outside the left tackle, or Derek Newton pulling to the left side.

No one pulled more on our OL than those two & it was more Jones than anyone else.

However, XSF is going to play in 2015. They consistently tried to stick him on the left side. I don't know if that's because of his familiarity with the left side, or because they see something in Jones they don't like. Even though I think Jones was our best OL overall for the entire season, if I had to guess, he's probably out of a starting job.

I don't believe OB & his group sees Jones as a center.
Jones is a cheap return 2015 last year of contract. I rate Jones as worst starting o lineman and he started only because Sua'fila could not dislodge him. With the weakness of our back ups, I don't see any starter leaving. I think they will upgrade from Clabo in FA. :barman:

I know. I was replying to your prediction of the team committing $120m for the cap. I was illustrating how I don't think that will happen.
help me to understand what you are saying. Not sure why you think that will not happen; are you saying they will not cut Joseph? Not arguing but trying to get your point.

If the team already has $129m committed at this moment. Then add some free agents and the draft class. You would have to make some big moves beyond releasing Joseph to get the committed amount down to $120m. I think they will cap strapped again unless some dramatic moves are made.

If the team already has $129m committed at this moment. Then add some free agents and the draft class. You would have to make some big moves beyond releasing Joseph to get the committed amount down to $120m. I think they will cap strapped again unless some dramatic moves are made.
Removing Joseph alone from that 129 makes it $120 or 20 m below anticipated league cap of $140. 120 + KJ ($5 first yr) and Newton ($4) and say $7 m for draft and PS as I posted. That leaves 4 m for Lewis and Pickett.

Removing Joseph alone from that 129 makes it $120 or 20 m below anticipated league cap of $140. 120 + KJ ($5 first yr) and Newton ($4) and say $7 m for draft and PS as I posted. That leaves 4 m for Lewis and Pickett.

Not going to resign Mallett?

If we release JJO that probably makes drafting a CB a high priority. I'd also try to resign Brooks Reed. If we don't resign Reed that makes OLB a high priority also and suddenly we're spinning our wheels just filling holes we've created by not hanging onto our veterans.

Releasing Chris Myers and going with Jones at OC will save us $6M. Releasing Fitz and going with Keenum as our backup saves us about $2M.

If we have only one major hole to address then we don't have to be so reliant upon our remaining draft picks contributing immediately and now we're building and strengthening our depth.

If we release JJO that probably makes drafting a CB a high priority. I'd also try to resign Brooks Reed. If we don't resign Reed that makes OLB a high priority also and suddenly we're spinning our wheels just filling holes we've created by not hanging onto our veterans.

Releasing Chris Myers and going with Jones at OC will save us $6M. Releasing Fitz and going with Keenum as our backup saves us about $2M.

If we have only one major hole to address then we don't have to be so reliant upon our remaining draft picks contributing immediately and now we're building and strengthening our depth.

I think Ferentz could be an option to look at for Center as well.

Not going to resign Mallett?
As stated in OP JJ Watt's $22 million or part of it can be moved to a bonus allowing whatever flexibility needed to sign Mallett, a RT or whomever. This off season could be a very pivotal point in solidifying depth.

As stated in OP JJ Watt's $22 million or part of it can be moved to a bonus allowing whatever flexibility needed to sign Mallett, a RT or whomever. This off season could be a very pivotal point in solidifying depth.

Why do you expect them to convert that roster bonus? They clearly intended it. What's changed?

That should be an extreme last resort to free up $8m. This should be avoided, so that Watt's cap charged in '16 and beyond remain relatively low while offering room to restructure if needed.

That should be an extreme last resort to free up $8m. This should be avoided, so that Watt's cap charged in '16 and beyond remain relatively low while offering room to restructure if needed.
As of now, I don't want to restructure anyone in 2016. I also would not pay an unproven Mallett $8 m. His contract first year should be around $4-5 with non guaranteed increases based on health (games started/plays) for each year continuing life of contract. If he solves our QB rotation, Fitz's $3.25 becomes available.

As of now, I don't want to restructure anyone in 2016. I also would not pay an unproven Mallett $8 m. His contract first year should be around $4-5 with non guaranteed increases based on health (games started/plays) for each year continuing life of contract. If he solves our QB rotation, Fitz's $3.25 becomes available.

When would you know if Mallett solves the QB rotation? You'd have to make that decision before Week 1 to save that $3.25 from Fitz.

I don't think Mallett is going to get $8m per; I imagine it to be much lower but will have some guaranteed money involved.

for me it would be OTAs probably if he is healthy, I think most would agree he has more to offer than Fitz if we consider future.

for me it would be OTAs probably if he is healthy, I think most would agree he has more to offer than Fitz if we consider future.

Agreed. Are we ready to run with Savage and/or Keenum as back up? Fitz is what he is...but he does offer quality back up insurance.

$10M is already in the form of a Roster Bonus and $2M is pro rated Signing Bonus.

Agreed. Are we ready to run with Savage and/or Keenum as back up? Fitz is what he is...but he does offer quality back up insurance.
If both are healthy we should run with Savage and Mallett. I'd placed Keenum on PS; eliminate a player.

If both are healthy we should run with Savage and Mallett. I'd placed Keenum on PS; eliminate a player.

I think Keenum has run out of PS time. Texans likely will offer him a minimum 1 year deal since he is a ERFA to bring him into camp.

Thad Lewis is also under contract for 2015 but I imagine him to be released before the league year starts.

I think Keenum has run out of PS time. Texans likely will offer him a minimum 1 year deal since he is a ERFA to bring him into camp.

Thad Lewis is also under contract for 2015 but I imagine him to be released before the league year starts.
Think you are correct after research.

Back