Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson Thread

Any word on how AJ is doing on the local news?

Also he caught that ball and they called it incomplete. He had possession and was the down by contact.

{I was responding to a poster wondering why a skydiver wears a helmet at all.}

I think it is to protect the skydiver from injury while exiting the plane. You don't want to knock yourself out while starting your jump.

{I was responding to a poster wondering why a skydiver wears a helmet at all.}

I think it is to protect the skydiver from injury while exiting the plane. You don't want to knock yourself out while starting your jump.

You don't land on a feather bed.

True, but you land on your feet if you're doing it right.

There's a reason feet are your "1st point of contact." Plus where would people be without having their heads up their 4th point of contact?

And if you're riding a motorcycle right the rubber side stays down. Helmets are for when things don't go right.

:kitten::kitten:

There's a reason feet are your "1st point of contact." Plus where would people be without having their heads up their 4th point of contact?

See, that's where your military background comes into play. Y'all had those big-ass round parachutes that made you hit the ground rolling. Those things are brutal.

The nice square ones that I learned with should be flared when landing so your feet are your only point of contact. Perhaps your butt became the 2nd point of contact if you overcompensate, which I learned the hard way (pun intended ;)).

I figured the helmet was required to make you look like a badass. Most of the experienced guys did not wear them, like both of my jumpmasters.

The mothership says AJ is day to day but OB is being very tight lipped about his status.

I would really like to know how he's doing in general not just if he's going to play. It would be nice to hear how the guy is, if he can play great, but man absolutely nothing on his condition.

The mothership says AJ is day to day but OB is being very tight lipped about his status.

I would really like to know how he's doing in general not just if he's going to play. It would be nice to hear how the guy is, if he can play great, but man absolutely nothing on his condition.

I'm sure the Germans (before they bombed Pearl Harbor) would have liked to know Patton and the ghost army weren't going to invade Pas de Calais.

I mean great, information is nice. Just don't know why folks expect it or that any of it will be honest.

I'm sure the Germans (before they bombed Pearl Harbor) would have liked to know Patton and the ghost army weren't going to invade Pas de Calais.

nmdsdkbcu7muzpejtto6.jpg

The Texans offense didn't look too good in the post-Andre sample we saw versus the Colts. Granted there were extenuating circumstances, but I don't think "next man up" is going to replace him next year if he doesn't come back from the concussion or is cut.

Andre's status is going to be an interesting worry point this off-season.

The Texans offense didn't look too good in the post-Andre sample we saw versus the Colts. Granted there were extenuating circumstances, but I don't think "next man up" is going to replace him next year if he doesn't come back from the concussion or is cut.

Frankly, it hasn't looked good all year. This is AJ's worst season as a pro, in terms of productivity. He's gotten tons of targets, and has turned that into a 10.2 YPC average. There aren't any WRs in the top 25 with such a low average. We can speculate on why, or if it's a long term problem, but it's really inarguable that it's bad.

A big WR will have to be on the draft board for the Texans.

Personally, I think we're ok with the big WR type. I think we need speed. Someone that can take the top off a D without always having to rely on the double move.

Heck, I think we need speed across the board. Especially LB

Per Jason Cole: Source close to Johnson says Johnson feels he will be released if he does not accept a pay cut and/or a top WR is drafted in 2015.

Per Jason Cole: Source close to Johnson says Johnson feels he will be released if he does not accept a pay cut and/or a top WR is drafted in 2015.

I was just getting ready to post that I do not think he's a Texan next year if he's not willing to renegotiate his contract.

I love the dude and what he means to this franchise, but business is business. I think he's due $16 million next year, iirc, and that's just too much tied up in one player not named J.J. or a franchise QB.

The first step is going to be sitting down with Andre & figuring out how long he thinks he can play. If he's looking at three years, I think we can come up with something that will work for both sides.

The first step is going to be sitting down with Andre & figuring out how long he thinks he can play. If he's looking at three years, I think we can come up with something that will work for both sides.

This is his 12th season. He was interviewed not too long ago and said he wants to play 15 seasons.

Yes I think you and I have been in agreement on what could be done on this situation.

I was just getting ready to post that I do not think he's a Texan next year if he's not willing to renegotiate his contract.

I love the dude and what he means to this franchise, but business is business. I think he's due $16 million next year, iirc, and that's just too much tied up in one player not named J.J. or a franchise QB.

Due to "make" $10.5m as his salary. $16.1m is his cap charge to the team for 2015.

Due to "make" $10.5m as his salary. $16.1m is his cap charge to the team for 2015.

Right. I'm far from a salary expert, but I knew the team took a $16 million hit in some form or another. How much of that can be reworked and mitigated for the benefit of the team?

Right. I'm far from a salary expert, but I knew the team took a $16 million hit in some form or another. How much of that can be reworked and mitigated for the benefit of the team?

A few (probably more) pages back...I and others posted some ideas on an extension. I just don't see Johnson accepting a flat out pay cut. But a 2 or 3 year extension with some GTD money could lower his cap hits the next couple of years. Get it down to a manageable $10m cap hit each year.

What Troy said - there were some illustrations.

No matter what happens $6.5 mil in money that he has already received WILL appear on the cap within the next 2 years.

A few (probably more) pages back...I and others posted some ideas on an extension. I just don't see Johnson accepting a flat out pay cut. But a 2 or 3 year extension with some GTD money could lower his cap hits the next couple of years. Get it down to a manageable $10m cap hit each year.

What Troy said - there were some illustrations.

No matter what happens $6.5 mil in money that he has already received WILL appear on the cap within the next 2 years.

Cool. Good to know. So there is some wiggle room, but obviously it's going to take a willing A.J. to make that sort of deal. I think the Texans will be willing, all things considered, but it takes two to tango.

Any idea what A.J. could get as a FA if the Texans decide to part ways for whatever reason(s)?

Cool. Good to know. So there is some wiggle room, but obviously it's going to take a willing A.J. to make that sort of deal. I think the Texans will be willing, all things considered, but it takes two to tango.

Any idea what A.J. could get as a FA if the Texans decide to part ways for whatever reason(s)?

It's so hard to figure out the market - the sample size is so small. Anquan Boldin is going to have a $7 mil cap hit on the 2nd of a 2 year deal. I think that's the ball park.

It's so hard to figure out the market - the sample size is so small. Anquan Boldin is going to have a $7 mil cap hit on the 2nd of a 2 year deal. I think that's the ball park.

Maybe something like Reggie Wayne signed in 2012 when he was 34 years old. 3 year deal for $17.5m including $7.5m gtd.

My proposal gets AJ more GTD money up front and a higher salary and keeps him here through at least 2016. But at a higher cap hit than what a new deal would be elsewhere.

Last edited:
Another thing to look at is if we were to free up some money, what would we do with it?

I think we're still going through the draft, won't be signing any big name Free Agents, we're just not in any position to do so. Not cap wise, but I can't imagine any FA coming in here & making this a Super Bowl contender, short of Tom Brady.

So unless we need that money to sign Kareem, or Brooks... let it ride.

Another thing to look at is if we were to free up some money, what would we do with it?

I think we're still going through the draft, won't be signing any big name Free Agents, we're just not in any position to do so. Not cap wise, but I can't imagine any FA coming in here & making this a Super Bowl contender, short of Tom Brady.

Yep, cap situation for 2015 (right now) isn't that great. Houston rarely hits the FA's on the first or second wave when the majority of players are being over paid.

I would go after Flowers and a TE. Lots of really good TEs this year will be free agents.

You should let Rick Smith know. I hear he was looking for solutions.

Andre Johnson named Man of the Year finalist
Andre Johnson was named a finalist for the 2014 Walter Payton Man of the Year award for his outstanding community service and excellence on the field.

On Tuesday morning, the NFL announced the 32 players nominated by each team. As a nominee, Johnson will receive a $1,000 donation from the NFL Foundation to the charity of his choice. This year’s winner will be announced during the “Fourth Annual NFL Honors” awards show on Saturday, January 31 and will receive an additional $20,000 donation to a charity in his name.

Wow, $1000 from an industry to honor one of its own who annually donates $15-20k at Christmas at just one store.

Kind of pathetic.

Back