Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson Thread

I wonder what the effect of having such loose helmets has on concussions. Every game you see helmets flying off; even on Dre's hit. Why is it so hard to securely fasten a helmet? Because it doesn't look as cool? Well neither does scrambled brain.

AJ will be on the field in Indy concussion or not.

Why do people worry about AJ's long term health?

Does AJ's long term health affect their lives in any way?

I don't know maybe because he is a fellow human being? Maybe because some of us have a little compassion and don't want him dying young or have major repercussions after his playing career is over. Maybe because he is someone's son, a brother, a friend.

Eh, I guess you're right. Use them till their all used up and tired and then throw them into the lion pit. Not like they are important or anything.

Gosh, that last quote is irritating to decipher.

Oh, I'm sorry.

@theAlpha&theOmega, that last " @doesExist 2 @unCodify.

It depends on the severity of the concussion.

Initial rest of body and mind cannot be over-emphasized.........some studies say 48 hours........other 3-4 days.

Here is a 2014 piece reflecting a Pediatric Sport Medicine doctor's study of 350 patients ages 8-23. Of course the younger group as opposed to adults are more at risk to suffer more severe brain damage from the same trauma and therefor require longer recovery. But the progressions are not that much further apart from adults. If you do not not want to read the article, listen to the video........both are quite well organized and will explain the principles behind the recommendations..........and they may especially be of interest to those of you with kids playing sports.

LINK

I doubt initial rest is possible when you have to catch a plane home. The air pressure changing, hum of the engine, other people talking to you, walking through the airports...

That's why some patients following concussion will recover locally and sometimes in hospitals for the first few days for careful monitoring.

I doubt initial rest is possible when you have to catch a plane home. The air pressure changing, hum of the engine, other people talking to you, walking through the airports...

I'd guess that they mostly don't do too much walking through the airport. In college we mostly had chartered flights.

It depends on the severity of the concussion.

Darrell, I want it to be noted that there is no such degree of "brain bruises". In other words, there is no such thing as "mild" to "sever" concussions. A brain bruise is a brain bruise.

Hell, I've had a few, "mild" or otherwise and look how effed I am... ;)

Seriously, concussions, whether a single or multiple can have a serious impact on that person's life which can lead to depression, anti-social interactions and so forth........

I'm not saying,......... Just sayin'!

I may or may not may know something about that stuff.

Darrell, I want it to be noted that there is no such degree of "brain bruises". In other words, there is no such thing as "mild" to "sever" concussions. A brain bruise is a brain bruise.

Hell, I've had a few, "mild" or otherwise and look how effed I am... ;)

Seriously, concussions, whether a single or multiple can have a serious impact on that person's life which can lead to depression, anti-social interactions and so forth........

I'm not saying,......... Just sayin'!

I may or may not may know something about that stuff.

I think I've mentioned it here before, but my son was a cyclist as a junior and had three crashes resulting in concussions between ages 14-17.

After the third one, the doctor at Christus St. Catherine said he could see a difference in his brain on the three CAT scans. His personality at 17 after the last one definitely changed. Not as easy-going, tended to be anti-social, easily frustrated. Was a struggle to finish his senior year and graduate. Better now after a couple of years, but still not the person he was.

I think I've mentioned it here before, but my son was a cyclist as a junior and had three crashes resulting in concussions between ages 14-17.

After the third one, the doctor at Christus St. Catherine said he could see a difference in his brain on the three CAT scans. His personality at 17 after the last one definitely changed. Not as easy-going, tended to be anti-social, easily frustrated. Was a struggle to finish his senior year and graduate. Better now after a couple of years, but still not the person he was.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear of your son's appearance. However, this is not an unusual progression of events following multiple concussions.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear of your son's appearance. However, this is not an unusual progression of events following multiple concussions.

Yep. And only one of the crashes was actually a "bad" crash with EMS called more for the separated shoulder than the head. The last one was a perfect storm of hitting his head just hard enough in just the right place. He walked away with a scraped knee and a scrambled brain.

So I can see how what appears to be not that violent of a hit on AJ being a perfect storm type of hit that causes greater issues than one would expect. I know it is an important game, but better safe than sorry.

I should have my CAT scanned one day. Several here will know what football helmets were like in the 70's and early 80's. I never knocked myself out, but the number of times I had my "bell rung" or rung the sucker myself is more than my hands can count.

Heck, maybe it would answer several questions I have about why my noodle goes haywire at night, preventing hours upon hours of sleep.

Man, I'm just jacked up. Both ankles, both shoulders, a knee, a wrist and now my noodle. My trade in value isn't very good right now

I should have my CAT scanned one day. Several here will know what football helmets were like in the 70's and early 80's. I never knocked myself out, but the number of times I had my "bell rung" or rung the sucker myself is more than my hands can count.

Since the brain floats in a fluid, the "style" of helmet makes no difference.

Dude? Are you serious with this?

Yes. When there is a collision which causes the head to stop abruptly, the brain will continue to move until it violently meets the inner wall of the cranium.

The helmet only protects you from cracking your skull. It does not stop concussions... there's plenty of evidence from the NFL to support this. They can't design a helmet good enough to prevent concussions.

Yes. When there is a collision which causes the head to stop abruptly, the brain will continue to move until it violently meets the inner wall of the cranium.

The helmet only protects you from cracking your skull. It does not stop concussions... there's plenty of evidence from the NFL to support this. They can't design a helmet good enough to prevent concussions.

I understand that, but the padding and protection now vs the 70's is night and day. It's basically modern padding vs cloth straps and ear pads

Despite the fact that helmets cannot prevent concussions, many times their design can lessen the degree of potential brain trauma. The more that the helmet design can lessen the initial direct impact to the skull, the less the secondary impact transmission to the enclosed brain.........much like a telescoping car bumper absorbs SOME of an impact and lessens the potential for more severe trauma to the driver/passengers.........but does not assure safety of the occupants.

Those huge helmets that Peyton wears and Mark Kelso used to wear appear to help against concussions. I don't recall either one of these guys suffering a concussion wearing these helmets.

If God'ell really cared about player safety these types of helmets would be mandatory for all players.

This is the reflection of the same classic pose that I previously posted......that freaked out so many.

B4X_7CtCAAANkAG.jpg

Bill, you might want to tell that to the medical community:

Concussions are graded as mild (grade 1), moderate (grade 2), or severe (grade 3), depending on such factors as loss of consciousness, amnesia, and loss of equilibrium.

In a grade 1 concussion, symptoms last for less than 15 minutes. There is no loss of consciousness.

With a grade 2 concussion, there is no loss of consciousness but symptoms last longer than 15 minutes.

In a grade 3 concussion, the person loses consciousness, sometimes just for a few seconds.

Source - WebMD.com

And:

Contusions can be very minor with few symptoms and little or no damage to the brain, or they can be quite severe. People with severe contusions often spend some time unconscious following the injury, and upon awaking are confused, tired, emotional, or agitated. More severe contusions lead to swelling in the brain, which can cause additional brain damage.

Source: Brain and Spinal Cord.org

This is AJ's 2nd concussion in the past 15 months. As with other sports injuries, the greatest risk factor for concussion is a previous concussion, and progressively prolonged symptoms with subsequent concussions is a concerning prognostic sign.

I posted this some years ago.....but will give you all a hang-your-hat idea of AJ's subsequent concussion risk.

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
Research suggests that if someone has already received one concussion, they are 1-2 times more likely to receive a second one. If they've had two concussions, then a third is 2-4 times more likely, and if they've had three concussions, then they are 3-9 times more likely to receive their fourth concussion.

Those huge helmets that Peyton wears and Mark Kelso used to wear appear to help against concussions. I don't recall either one of these guys suffering a concussion wearing these helmets.

If God'ell really cared about player safety these types of helmets would be mandatory for all players.

It wouldn't matter. Some players are too cool to properly fasten their helmets. Look at the AJ pic, it's buckled in but it's also fly off his head.

This is AJ's 2nd concussion in the past 15 months. As with other sports injuries, the greatest risk factor for concussion is a previous concussion, and progressively prolonged symptoms with subsequent concussions is a concerning prognostic sign.

I posted this some years ago.....but will give you all a hang-your-hat idea of AJ's subsequent concussion risk.
Thanks for re-posting. That is pretty scary and I hope it gives 'Dre pause for thought. Might just about be time to escape while his faculties are intact.

Ifhe misses rest of season, does it decrease his desire/ability to return? How will Smith handle that in off season if AJ gets poor health review?

Heck, maybe it would answer several questions I have about why my noodle goes haywire at night, preventing hours upon hours of sleep.

Man, I'm just jacked up. Both ankles, both shoulders, a knee, a wrist and now my noodle. My trade in value isn't very good right now

I'd have my CAT put down before spending the money on a scan.

That isn't true at all. I ride a motorcycle and here this all the time but the fact is that when helmets are tested they are tested on the ability of the energy absorbing liner to absorb energy. The main difference between DOT, ECE and Snell ratings is how much energy is absorbed in a simulated crash.

The less energy transferred to your skull means less transferred to your brain and less damage.

That isn't true at all. I ride a motorcycle and here this all the time but the fact is that when helmets are tested they are tested on the ability of the energy absorbing liner to absorb energy. The main difference between DOT, ECE and Snell ratings is how much energy is absorbed in a simulated crash.

The less energy transferred to your skull means less transferred to your brain and less damage.

Problem is, motorcycle helmets aren't designed for multiple collisions. Their ability to absorb energy upon impact lies in the their particular cushioning having a crumple zone-like effect. But, like a crumple zone in a car, after one major impact they're toast.

Problem is, motorcycle helmets aren't designed for multiple collisions. Their ability to absorb energy upon impact lies in the their particular cushioning having a crumple zone-like effect. But, like a crumple zone in a car, after one major impact they're toast.

How is that a problem? Just replace the helmet. They are not expensive. The main point is to get rid of this thought that helmets don't do anything towards concussions.

All these helmet talks reminds me of a Seinfeld joke:
The thing I wonder about the sky diving is why do they even bother with the helmets? Can you almost make it? Why don't they just wear a party hat? What's the difference? You jump out of a plane from twenty thousand feet in the air the chute doesn't open I got news for you, the helmet is now wearing you for protection. Later on the helmet's talking to the other helmets going "boy it's a good thing he was there or I would have hit the ground directly."

How is that a problem? Just replace the helmet. They are not expensive. The main point is to get rid of this thought that helmets don't do anything towards concussions.

It's a problem due to the fact that once a crumple-zone has lost it's integrity from even an intermediate-level impact the safety standard for the helmet is lost entirely. For certain players this would mean multiple helmets of this type per game.

While cost effectiveness may appear to be a silly argument in lieu of player safety, neither the NFLPA nor the owners are reaching for their wallets when that bill hits the table.

It's a problem due to the fact that once a crumple-zone has lost it's integrity from even an intermediate-level impact the safety standard for the helmet is lost entirely. For certain players this would mean multiple helmets of this type per game.

While cost effectiveness may appear to be a silly argument in lieu of player safety, neither the NFLPA nor the owners are reaching for their wallets when that bill hits the table.

Seems the cost would be minimal... peanuts compared to player salaries and other operating costs...

Seems the cost would be minimal... peanuts compared to player salaries and other operating costs...

Once the NFL began replacing helmets during games for player safety, imagine the impact that would have on the cost of youth, high school, and college football, who would immediately be under intense social pressure to adopt similar safety methods... Youth participation would decline sharply and league/organizational costs to field teams would skyrocket... all of which would lead to a shrinking market capitalization and declining popularity of the NFL over time.

Once the NFL began replacing helmets during games for player safety, imagine the impact that would have on the cost of youth, high school, and college football, who would immediately be under intense social pressure to adopt similar safety methods... Youth participation would decline sharply and league/organizational costs to field teams would skyrocket... all of which would lead to a shrinking market capitalization and declining popularity of the NFL over time.

Speculative, but very good point regardless! :)

And the only benefit would be less kids with brain damage? Screw that!

And the only benefit would be less kids with brain damage? Screw that!

What kids? There's no youth leagues that could financially support that.

Are you one of the types that is just smart enough to realize when there's a problem and will scream that the problem should be fixed but refuses to see that the forest is unsustainable if we have to meticulously detail every single tree?

Football is a violent game.

"I refuse to see people hurt" , "I want football" , "I refuse to see people hurt" , "I want football" ....

That doesn't work.

Are you one of the types that is just smart enough to realize when there's a problem and will scream that the problem should be fixed but refuses to see that the forest is unsustainable if we have to meticulously detail every single tree?

Football is a violent game.

"I refuse to see people hurt" , "I want football" , "I refuse to see people hurt" , "I want football" ....

That doesn't work.

The energy absorbing liner can be changed. At the end of the day it is just foam. Motorcycle helmets are changed when there is an impact of your helmet (with your head in it) to the ground. So a large impact on the football field, change the energy absorbing liner. That will cost you about 20 bucks.

How is that impossible to sustain when you are talking about preventing serial brain injuries?

We're talking about the developing brains of children.

Youth leagues either need to find a way to financially support it, or perhaps making a profit off of youth football should be reconsidered.

btw, this is not a suggestion, but a prediction. As science learns more about brain injuries and parents become better educated about it, youth leagues will need to be proactive or more and more parents will not let their kids play ball. The trend is already headed that way. Just look at the thread in the NFL section about it.

The energy absorbing liner can be changed. At the end of the day it is just foam. Motorcycle helmets are changed when there is an impact of your helmet (with your head in it) to the ground. So a large impact on the football field, change the energy absorbing liner. That will cost you about 20 bucks.

How is that impossible to sustain when you are talking about preventing serial brain injuries?

Not in the span of a series of football plays.

No question that continuing efforts should be made to keep safety a concern of the game. But throwing money at an effect of the violent nature of the game just infuses a more daredevil approach and looks to outbudget the need of the inherently violent game.

We're talking about the developing brains of children.

Youth leagues either need to find a way to financially support it, or perhaps making a profit off of youth football should be reconsidered.

btw, this is not a suggestion, but a prediction. As science learns more about brain injuries and parents become better educated about it, youth leagues will need to be proactive or more and more parents will not let their kids play ball. The trend is already headed that way. Just look at the thread in the NFL section about it.

I agree completely. In fact, I don't see the need for kids to hit until at least middle school. Let them learn to execute the game with their foot and hand skills and from the neck up while they're kids instead of turning them into cruise missiles by the time they're ready for college.

There are more cost-effective ways to make the game safer than a better bubble-wrap anyway. How about instead of more armor we make the field just a couple yards wider on wither side and opening things up?

Back