Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

No I don't remember the late 60's or early 70's. Bud Adams wasn't hated for that time fame, though. Bud Adams was hated for holding the city of Houston hostage once the Oilers reached a modicum of success and for being a prick, overall.

au contraire mon frere, he was hated back then for refusing to allow tailgating while refusing to put a winning team on the field

I never thought to see the day. Bud Adams was hated for a very good reason.

Remember the late '60's, early '70's?

If McNair takes us down that path again...

I remember those days quite well and sincerely hope I'm wrong. But this is the reason I post like I do. I realize that I do go overboard from time to time and it's mostly for effect and I apologize for it and am trying to do better. I do think McNair wants to win but with business as usual.

How ya feeling about that 50 mil out of the taxpayers pockets to upgrade the suites now? I realize that you don't live in Harris County.

I remember those days quite well and sincerely hope I'm wrong. But this is the reason I post like I do. I realize that I do go overboard from time to time and it's mostly for effect and I apologize for it and am trying to do better. I do think McNair wants to win but with business as usual.

How ya feeling about that 50 mil out of the taxpayers pockets to upgrade the suites now? I realize that you don't live in Harris County.

It's about like the 60 mill to renovate the dome and remove the beloved scoreboard so Bud could add a few more seats behind pillars with no view

au contraire mon frere, he was hated back then for refusing to allow tailgating while refusing to put a winning team on the field
Damn, you're an old, grudge carrying SOB. I only remember the Luv Ya Blue era from back then. It was all roses and unicorns back then.

I suspect that we will soon find out exactly how much emphasis O'Brien puts on the slot reciever position, and how little on the wideout position.
I think he might prioritize the TE position above wideouts as well.

Just as disliked

Only Bud was younger back then.

I've got to remember that most Texans fans only go back as far as the Moon yrs. It's he** getting older.

I suspect that we will soon find out exactly how much emphasis O'Brien puts on the slot reciever position, and how little on the wideout position.

This is probably true. I found it curios that the 2 WR's that the Texans interviewed at the Sr Bowl were Dorsett/Devin Smith. 2 of the fastest WR's in the draft.

Well, as George Harrison once said, all things must pass. I wish him well, but I understand why the Texans want to move on, as well.

This is actually difficult news to process. Andre could've gone to any team during his prime, but he stayed with Houston to be part of something special. And this is how it ends -- Cutting him while he still has something left. It wouldn't have been charity to give him those final two years. Given a full camp with Mallet, he'd earn that money. Hell, he's already earned it.

Bud Adams was hated for not allowing hillbillies to cook food over an open flame back in the 70's? I find that hard to believe. I need proof.

I also doubt that Adams ever held a press conference stating that he refused to field a winning team. Again, proof.

...this is my best Icak impersonation for pointless arguments. How am I doing?....:boogereater:

Me too! Watching all the :pissed: and :crying: going on is hilarious.

Hey I like that :pissed: smilie! It fits!

Damn, you're an old, grudge carrying SOB. I only remember the Luv Ya Blue era from back then. It was all roses and unicorns back then.

Yeah I was pissed when the Oilers released Blanda, and upset they cut Largent. Earl was the start of the glory days

It appears that OB is like Bellicheat and having a dominant wr is nice but not crucial

Just as disliked

Only Bud was younger back then.

I've got to remember that most Texans fans only go back as far as the Moon yrs. It's he** getting older.

Moon was a johnny come lately and a very controversial one also

This is actually difficult news to process. Andre could've gone to any team during his prime, but he stayed with Houston to be part of something special. And this is how it ends -- Cutting him while he still has something left. It wouldn't have been charity to give him those final two years. Given a full camp with Mallet, he'd earn that money. Hell, he's already earned it.

As one poster said... "nail on the head"

tho he was talking about the reverse... some figure the Texans had done too much for AJ with little return and the money he was owed because he agreed to restructures for the teams benefit was just a case of "he was a sucker"

I like AJ but leaving emotions out of it, this could open some interesting options. 51 contracts 2015 cap is $132.8 minus AJ's $9= $123 m. More important is 2016 $86.6 minus AJ $12 m= $74 m. Contracts can be relatively smaller '15 and much higher in '16. *note elevators, PS, draft, etc needs to be figured in but I've seen $5-7 m ranges so not astronomical.

WR free agency Randall on seeking about $9m avg. Doable
OT free agency Bryan Bulaga about the same

Issue is I think Packers bring both back with the $33 m cap space available. I am not overly excited about other FAs these two positions. I think Texans bring back Newton, sign a vet to replace Clabo cheaply and draft a player. I think they think Hopkins is their #1 and they bring Posey back his last year $ .9 m (if it is not used to add in for a splash like Dez or Cobb).

Draft: Jalen Strong #16 if Parker gone and a backup OT later rounds

or: Draft the perfect slot WR Tre McBride in third round to go with Hopkins.

And trade down to late first select LT/RT/C Cameron Erving to backup OT and replace Myers in 2016 and pick up another 2nd round. Maybe my last mock is looking pretty good.

Yeah, how ****ing dare we be upset.

I just find it kinda funny how everyone here has been crowing that we finally have a good head coach, but when that same good head coach makes the hard, tough decision with a popular player who is past his prime, but still getting paid as if he's still in his prime, they want to throw him under the bus.

Go ahead and be ****ing upset if that makes you happy. I want a coach who wants to put the best 53 on the field and doesn't give a **** about fans' player loyalty hangups.

dude we are in rebuild mode year #2 we are not going to do much to replace AJ but moving up or getting a mid teir WR in F/a

all we can do is hope our #2 WR production will be more then what AJ could do and our #3 slot wr will also be more productive

Then I guess it's time for the firesell.....

Let Kj go. Cut Jjo, cut Myers, Cut Graham, & cut Fitzpatrick....... we'll have $31M in need of a center, WR, CB, TE, & QB.
I think you may be closer than you realize but not for same reasons. KJ could take money and run. Texans like me could be happy with Bouye and Morris and could pressure Joseph to lower his cap. Tell his agent they will draft CB #16 if he refuses and trade him. He will stay. Myers and Jones are in last year so both could be gone after this year which allows Mallett a full season with Myers. Draft a quality center in April to replace Myers 2016. Graham stays but big cut and same for Cushing. Fitz gone.

Not a fire sale but better negotiating.

I just find it kinda funny how everyone here has been crowing that we finally have a good head coach, but when that same good head coach makes the hard, tough decision with a popular player who is past his prime, but still getting paid as if he's still in his prime, they want to throw him under the bus.

Go ahead and be ****ing upset if that makes you happy. I want a coach who wants to put the best 53 on the field and doesn't give a **** about fans' player loyalty hangups.

I can get behind thinking he's not worth the 16 million cap hit (or whatever the # is), but thinking AJ isn't part of the best 53 that the Texans can field is absurd. He's no worse than the #2 WR on this team.

Agreed, but let us be :pissed: for a few hours anyways, or at least until some new news comes by to distract us

:kitten: :fans:

Bud Adams was hated for not allowing hillbillies to cook food over an open flame back in the 70's? I find that hard to believe. I need proof.

I also doubt that Adams ever held a press conference stating that he refused to field a winning team. Again, proof.

...this is my best Icak impersonation for pointless arguments. How am I doing?....:boogereater:

proof about tailgating is plentiful, and I don't recall Fud ever personally holding a press conference, but then we only had reporting by two newspapers and a couple of am news stations back then...

Icak is much better at pointing out inconsistencies and non-truths :kitten:

This is what pisses me off about the Texans, last year they could've had a 2nd RD pick for AJ, Philly was all in.

I can get behind thinking he's not worth the 16 million cap hit (or whatever the # is), but thinking AJ isn't part of the best 53 that the Texans can field is absurd. He's no worse than the #2 WR on this team.

Correct, on the current roster. They better have a solid plan in place to repace his production. 85 catches would be hard I think, who does OB think is going to get the 45 he told AJ he couldn't have?

dude we are in rebuild mode year #2 we are not going to do much to replace AJ but moving up or getting a mid teir WR in F/a

all we can do is hope our #2 WR production will be more then what AJ could do and our #3 slot wr will also be more productive

I have dated, married had a child and yet we still seem to be in rebuild mode. Im tired of seeing other teams draft well, find gems late in the draft, play in the playoffs while we stay in rebuild mode.

I have dated, married had a child and yet we still seem to be in rebuild mode. Im tired of seeing other teams draft well, find gems late in the draft, play in the playoffs while we stay in rebuild mode.

I've been waiting since 1963 to see a championship....

I don't think we *finally* have a good head coach.

Bill O'Brien is largely uninspiring so far. And this decision is yet another instance of proof. Yeah, yeah. 9-7. Sure. Okay. As if his game management wasn't atrocious, as if the guy who's supposed to be a game preparation wizard had us prepared for things like OT against Dallas, a surprise onside kick, or three minutes in Pittsburgh. As if this supposedly big bad offense/tight end guru used his tight ends anywhere near enough. As if he didn't destroy Ryan Mallett for the year by throwing him in against Cincinnati *and* was dumb enough or blind enough to leave him in even though it was painfully obvious that he couldn't make any passes. As if the same complaints people had about Gary Kubiak don't apply equally as much to Bill O'Brien thus far.

And if you think that the "best 53 on the field" doesn't include Andre Johnson but includes Keshawn Martin, Devier Posey, Demarris Johnson, or whichever other jabroni you can conjure up, then that's hilarious.

We have a coach that needs a ton of work. Just like we have a team that needs a ton of work. The only saving grace to this is the cap room we're expected to have. But don't tell us Bill O'Brien is so ****ing awesome when he's telling Andre Johnson that he'll only be getting 40 receptions or less from here on out. And don't tell us we can't be upset at the best player in Texans franchise history wanting out because of it.

To be fair that can all be accomplished within a year. :kitten:

I don't know how we will be able to replace those three TDs. JJ is going to have to pick up the slack on offense. :stirpot:

I don't think we *finally* have a good head coach.

Bill O'Brien is largely uninspiring so far. And this decision is yet another instance of proof. Yeah, yeah. 9-7. Sure. Okay. As if his game management wasn't atrocious, as if the guy who's supposed to be a game preparation wizard had us prepared for things like OT against Dallas, a surprise onside kick, or three minutes in Pittsburgh. As if this supposedly big bad offense/tight end guru used his tight ends anywhere near enough. As if he didn't destroy Ryan Mallett for the year by throwing him in against Cincinnati *and* was dumb enough or blind enough to leave him in even though it was painfully obvious that he couldn't make any passes. As if the same complaints people had about Gary Kubiak don't apply equally as much to Bill O'Brien thus far.

And if you think that the "best 53 on the field" doesn't include Andre Johnson but includes Keshawn Martin, Devier Posey, Demarris Johnson, or whichever other jabroni you can conjure up, then that's hilarious.

We have a coach that needs a ton of work. Just like we have a team that needs a ton of work. The only saving grace to this is the cap room we're expected to have. But don't tell me Bill O'Brien is so ****ing awesome when he's telling Andre Johnson that he'll only be getting 40 receptions or less from here on out. That's the sign of a shithead at best.

Really? Lol!

OB was just 2nd in the HC of the year pole. He took a nothing 2-14 team led by your savior in Kubiak that you adored so much, and made something out of that team. Hell, he even got two wins with Keenum at QB in the last two games.

And you and others who actually think this is about AJ's role are showing a strong bit of naivety here. You think they just want AJ out of the offense? No. They aren't going to pay him 16 Mill to have the role that he does have. NO TEAM would do that other than maybe the Raiders or the Browns. And you want us to do that which is the sad part in all of this. This isn't about his role. This is about the fact that they aren't going to pay him his hefty salary for the role that he is going to have moving forward. And when you don't have a QB to get him the ball that well it makes the entire idea of over paying him even that more silly.

And you and others who actually think this is about AJ's role are showing a strong bit of naivety here. You think they just want AJ out of the offense? No. They aren't going to pay him 16 Mill to have the role that he does have. NO TEAM would do that other than maybe the Raiders or the Browns. And you want us to do that which is the sad part in all of this. This isn't about his role. This is about the fact that they aren't going to pay him his hefty salary for the role that he is going to have moving forward. And when you don't have a QB to get him the ball that well it makes the entire idea of over paying him even that more silly.

No doubt the money is a big part of it too. I'd have a ton more respect/acceptance for the situation if all sides just came out and said that.

But they haven't.

No doubt the money has a role in it too. I'd have a ton more respect/acceptance for the situation if all sides just came out and said that.

But they haven't.

I'm not sure why they haven't, but this is all about the money. You think they wouldn't want AJ back if he were to sign a deal that would pay out a pretty good aging #2 receiver? I'm sure they would especially if they had a strong QB to feed him and the rest of the receivers the ball. If you don't have that though, why would you over pay an aging receiver like that? AJ is going to try to cling onto that contract, but his agent knows that it's gone. No team is going to pay him that much money or even close to it. I don't even see why they would trade with the Texans when they know that the Texans are very likely to release him any way.

It will be interesting to see where he goes and for how much. He would be a good fit on the Seahawks or Colts. Denver is an obvious choice but he would be 2nd fiddle at best, which he is trying to avoid.

This offense needs some big play ability and we weren't gonna get it with another year of an older AJ. I thought during the season he wouldn't be back for 2015 and I think this would have happened last year if it wasn't such a huge issues with dead money after cutting the other players they did last year.

Its amazing that all the people crying about this were the same ones saying AJ had lost a step last year or has the 3 months since the end of the season warped your memory of what you saw from him last year. We aren't paying a guy $16 million to avg 11pc and this is the right move for the future of the team.

It's the Patriots way. Get rid of big salary and/or aging guys. As much as I have loved having AJ as a Texan, I'm not torn up about him leaving. It's the nature of the business. Plus last years fiasco left a bitter taste. I'd rather concentrate on the team and not one players needs/desires. Even if it is our all time best player.

No doubt the money is a big part of it too. I'd have a ton more respect/acceptance for the situation if all sides just came out and said that.

But they haven't.

Why did that even need to be spelled out for you? You weren't able to figure out something so obvious on your own?

In a perfect world all our favorite players would play for our team and would play for our team for their entire careers.

I feel honored to have had AJ on my team for as long as I have and I hope that he works out some sort of deal to stay with the Texans.

But this is life. It's not a perfect world.

And.. I wonder if there are any head coaches out there that would love to have Andre back and who Andre would love to play fo... oh... wait. Yeah. I expect Andre to end up with Kubiak and Manning in Denver.

Because that's just life.

Nobody is winning a Superbowl by featuring Andre Johnson in the passing game. We featured him in 2013, if you recall... That was good for 2 wins. He hasn't broken a tackle or made someone miss in 3 years. The AJ being mourned by some of you today has been gone since the 2011 Steeler game in week two.

In a perfect world all our favorite players would play for our team and would play for our team for their entire careers.

I feel honored to have had AJ on my team for as long as I have and I hope that he works out some sort of deal to stay with the Texans.

But this is life. It's not a perfect world.

And.. I wonder if there are any head coaches out there that would love to have Andre back and who Andre would love to play fo... oh... wait. Yeah. I expect Andre to end up with Kubiak and Manning in Denver.

Because that's just life.

I'd also watch for in in NE (it's what they do)
and Philly (cuz it just seems to happen that way)
and
Baltimore ( cuz that would sting ya know)

Miami is a possibility (Its home) kinda

I'll be real upset if it's Indy, but that makes the most sense if I was in his shoes

Nobody is winning a Superbowl by featuring Andre Johnson in the passing game. We featured him in 2013, if you recall... That was good for 2 wins. He hasn't broken a tackle or made someone miss in 3 years. The AJ being mourned by some of you today has been gone since the 2011 Steeler game in week two.

No he wasn't running people over, but the threat of him couldn't be taken away. Don't know what you are suggesting, but the idea that he hasn't been productive since week 2 of 2011 is horse pockey. Absolutely ludicrous.

Why did that even need to be spelled out for you? You weren't able to figure out something so obvious on your own?

It didn't. I just don't like being bullshitted. It's insulting. I run with what people give me. If it's "reduced role" I'm going to talk about that given reason.

No he wasn't running people over, but the threat of him couldn't be taken away. Don't know what you are suggesting, but the idea that he hasn't been productive since week 2 of 2011 is horse pockey. Absolutely ludicrous.

Didn't say he wasn't productive. I do think you overestimate how threatening he was the past few seasons, though. How many WRs can do what AJ can do right now? There has to be 40 or 50 guys. How many WRs can stretch the defense with great speed and/or become playmakers after the catch (things AJ can no longer do)?

If AJ is thrown 150 balls and plays are designed to create space for him, of course he can put up 100 catches and 1200 yards. So what? That is true of 50 NFL WRs. Certainly it is true of Hopkins, who i beleive will benefit more from having a deep threat opposite him than having a declining HOFer.

Back