Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

AJ has to make a last minute bid for the Hall of Fame, don't blame him for wanting to go some place with a real NFL QB.

There is currently a logjam ahead of him in the HOF WRs. TO, Moss, Harrison, etc. All had better careers. Dude needs to pad some stats.

Emmitt Smith played for the Cards, Montana for the Chiefs. This kind of thing happens at the end of great careers.

AJ's bid for the HOF is resided in the fact that he put up ridiculous numbers/ stats and incredible receptions for a shitty team!! He had HWSNBN, Matt Schaub and Ryan Shitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Ryan Mallett, that left-handed dude (that I forget), that other guy. THAT, another guy.

So beit... If Aj moves on, he'll be the greatest TEXAN player ------ EVER!

If he moves on and subsequently doesn't make the HOF, that would be a travesty!

I've been saying it. Mallett deal is done, team needed to wait for the Johnson domino to fall. Team will use Mallett signing to put positive spin on things when Johnson is released. Probably by the end of the week now.

The Mallett signing is not going to make me feel better.

Trade Johnson for Russell Wilson? Now we are talking.

I've been saying it. Mallett deal is done, team needed to wait for the Johnson domino to fall. Team will use Mallett signing to put positive spin on things when Johnson is released. Probably by the end of the week now.

Add in KJ signing and sudden "leaks" that they will be players in free agency.

You don't get compensation when the player is cut.

I'm thinking Denver. He knows the offense. And if he's going to take a reduced roll, er...role, why not take it while playing with Peyton?

I bet Denver would reduce his role by cutting out all those throws behind the line of scrimmage.

Well on the bright side this clears an opening for jacoby jones to return.

I just punched myself in the face. What a downer.

You are telling me that it is impossible to allocate that $9 million towards a player/s which would result in a better team than simply keeping AJ...

Not at all. I'm saying we could have had both.

He is in decline. Of course the team could keep him. They decided their resources could be spent better in other ways... More important that this year's savings will be next year's $16 million saved... unless they count him as a June 1st cut.. if that happens, then they will save about $12 million this year and $12 million next.

Maybe we'll sign a player as good as Andre..... maybe the cost of that player will leave us with a net savings of $11M instead of $16M. Or maybe we could work something out with Andre to get us that same $11M savings.

Maybe it's like mussop said, then it is what it is. Maybe the Texans offered Andre a deal along the lines of what I suggested... what 'cak suggested, maybe he turned it down & the Texans would rather look like the bad guy, than to say Andre doesn't want to be here... again, it is what it is.

But this, "cut/trade Andre to save $8M" is goofy talk. There are other ways we could have saved that $8M, or $9M. This "reduced role" "he's in decline" that's crap.

Not good for your health.

Like DB said, this is only entertainment we are talking about. I'm finding this thread very entertaining. Whether the Texans org made the right move we will see in the on the field product next yr.

yeah you're just happier than **** right now aren't ya?

I know one thing, McNair and Smith's word ain't worth crap if they cut him or trade him for peanuts

https://twitter.com/Nick_Mathews

Just interviewed Dre and posting some quotes from that interview.

Nick Mathews @Nick_Mathews
· 4m 4 minutes ago
Johnson when told by O'Brien of reduced role, including maybe 40 catches: “I just laughed. They gave me my role, and I just laughed at em."

Andre Johnson: "How do you tell a guy who is used to catching 80 balls a year that he was going to catch 40?"

AJ on not being starter: “I don’t feel like there is guy on that team that can outplay me, or outwork me. ...Who am I going to play behind?"

Andre Johnson: “So I was real honest with him: ‘If that’s your role for me you’re going to be dealing with a miserable football player.”

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Andre Johnson's agent, Kennard McGuire, continued: "He looks forward to challenging for a Super Bowl." #Texans

Johnson's agent, Kennard McGuire: "Time has come.It has been a great run, but as you know in the sports world there is a shelf life" #Texans

I'm pissed because my authentic autographed AJ TEXANS jersey just lost all value just like the Owen Daniels one did and the Brian Cushing one soon will

:pissed:

“It’s business,” Johnson said. “I understand that side of it. I’m not angry about it. I knew at some point in time this day would come.

“If we were living in a perfect world, you know I’d want to finish my career here, but, unfortunately, that’s not what’s going to happen. You just have to move forward.”

Johnson, who turns 34 in July, had 85 catches for 936 yards (11-yard average) and three touchdowns last season when the Texans finished 9-7 in coach Bill O’Brien’s first season. Johnson wants to play at least two more seasons.

During a meeting with O’Brien last week, Johnson was told his role would be reduced next season.

“People try to picture it the way they want to picture it, saying that I asked for a trade (but), there’s a reason I asked for a trade,” he said. “I think if anybody else was in my situation they would have done the same thing I did.

“I don’t know how you tell a guy who catches 85 balls that he’ll only probably catch 40. I feel like the role they were trying to put me in I’d be held back from maximizing my talents. I feel like that was the best thing for both sides.

“Why sit there and be miserable when I can go somewhere else and be able to show my talents.”

The two sides didn’t get around to discussing a possible reduction in pay. Johnson has two years left on his contract, including a base salary of $10.5 million this season and a salary cap hit of $16.1 million. He also receives a $1 million workout bonus.

The Texans save $8.82 million in salary cap space by trading or cutting Johnson. They’ll have about $21.9 million in cap space.

“It never got that far,” he said about contract talk. “I don’t get how you can tell a guy that (he) wouldn’t start certain games, especially knowing the team and the talent.

“I don’t see why I wouldn’t be a starter in this league. It didn’t make sense to me. I’m pretty sure it won’t make sense to a lot of other people.”

In 2016, Johnson is scheduled to receive an $11 million base salary and the $1 million workout bonus.

McGuire probably will negotiate a new deal for Johnson with his new team.

“I was just made aware of this whole situation today,” Johnson said. “I haven’t really had time to really find out anything else.

“My biggest thing right now is just trying to get everything finalized with the Texans and then move forward.”

Johnson is leaving Houston the same way he came to town – in a first-class manner.

“I’d like to tell the fans thank you for all of your support,” he said. “I love playing for them, playing in front of them in that stadium every Sunday.

“I’m going to miss them.
Hopefully, one day I’ll get a chance to play in front of them again.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...sks-to-be-traded-or-cut/#1569101=0&29382103=0

Matt Hammond ‏@MattHammondShow · 2m2 minutes ago
no, Texans told Andre, need you to take a pay cut bc you're not worth $16.1M cap hit. which, if public, does him no favors in FA talks.

Matt Hammond ‏@MattHammondShow · 1m1 minute ago
so, this spin job by Andre.

Exactly. Nail meet head

Exactly. Nail meet head

I seriously doubt it's going to hurt Aj in free agency (especially if he's being allowed to seek a trade) because the Texans don't think he's worth a $16M cap hit. No other team is at risk of a $16M cap hit.

We are, because we've restructured his contract so many times.

According to Andre, pay never came up

btw, I don't like you anymore cuz of your avatar.... :kitten:

PDS ‏@PatDStat · 7m7 minutes ago
In order for Dre to catch 40 passes he would have to be on the bench. So you do the math on what this is really about.

Matt Hammond ‏@MattHammondShow · 8m8 minutes ago
explain to me this "diminished role"? he's already a No. 2. Nos. 3 and 4 are slot guys. No. 5 is DeVier Posey, who didn't catch no 40 balls.

This was all about money which he was making too much of for his production.

I know one thing, McNair and Smith's word ain't worth crap if they cut him or trade him for peanuts

How? You think they're going to get a bag of peanuts for him? Why would any team reach out to us and offer a lot when they all know that we're going to cut him any way if we can't get a trade we like? Teams know the Texans aren't going to pay 16 Mill to him this year. We're not going to get a good value for him, and 34 year olds at the WR position aren't ever worth a lot from a trade perspective. We'll be lucky to get a 3rd rounder and maybe something else.

Not happy at all. What would make you think that?

Wanted AJ to retire a Texan, but not at the cost of Mallett/KJ/Newton.

Wish NcNair/AJ could've found a middle ground.

I do find it funny seeing many who've defended the Texans all of these yrs are now pissed off and ready to not watch the team anymore. After all it really is only entertainment. Which is why I would be willing to gamble on talented but troubled guys in the draft. (It's entertainment.)

This is a sad day for some of us Houston Fans. I hated to see him go, but as an organization, its time for start looking to the future.

How? You think they're going to get a bag of peanuts for him? Why would any team reach out to us and offer a lot when they all know that we're going to cut him any way if we can't get a trade we like? Teams know the Texans aren't going to pay 16 Mill to him this year. We're not going to get a good value for him, and 34 year olds at the WR position aren't ever worth a lot from a trade perspective. We'll be lucky to get a 3rd rounder and maybe something else.

I don't understand your comment, but if you think the Texans will get a 3rd for him, let me have some of what you're smoking. He'll be released outright, which makes McNair and Smith huge liars

I think all the people who propped up the O'Brien hiring should make that tweet their signature.

I have been pretty clear about my skepticism regarding AJ's production going forward, and I would not have paid him #1 money this year, but 40 balls? Not starting? That's crazy talk. I already didn't trust Rick Smith, and now I don't trust BOB.

I think all the people who propped up the O'Brien hiring should make that tweet their signature.

I have been pretty clear about my skepticism regarding AJ's production going forward, and I would not have paid him #1 money this year, but 40 balls? Not starting? That's crazy talk. I already didn't trust Rick Smith, and now I don't trust BOB.

Totally agree with this, and throw McNair into the mix of the untrustworthy

Not happy at all. What would make you think that?

Wanted AJ to retire a Texan, but not at the cost of Mallett/KJ/Newton.

Wish NcNair/AJ could've found a middle ground.

I do find it funny seeing many who've defended the Texans all of these yrs are now pissed off and ready to not watch the team anymore. After all it really is only entertainment. Which is why I would be willing to gamble on talented but troubled guys in the draft. (It's entertainment.)

First bolded... based on your post history, see second bolded.

If you really thought it was just entertainment, you wouldn't have been so vitriolic the last umpteen years on this board

First bolded... based on your post history, see second bolded.

If you really thought it was just entertainment, you wouldn't have been so vitriolic the last umpteen years on this board

See: I think that I've just been posting the truth, business always comes 1st with the Texans. I wasn't being vitriolic, it's just that most didn't like or want to believe what I was posting.

It is what it is, the AJ move is a straight up move from the Bud Adams playbook. Reality sometimes stinks. No vitriol is meant in this post.

Let's be real. The "reduced role" bs is just that: nothing more than a face saving measure. Any QB in the league will tell you that their favorite target is the open WR/TE/RB. This is about "what's best for the team" circa "Bill O'Brien Era". I'm sad to see AJ go (I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ resign with the Texans, barring personal insult themes, or see him signed within the AFC South, for "personal insult" reasons) but outside of that, AJ retires or is signed for $5-8M/season. No way does he command $10M+ a season.

It is what it is, the AJ move is a straight up move from the Bud Adams playbook.

I never thought to see the day. Bud Adams was hated for a very good reason.

Remember the late '60's, early '70's?

If McNair takes us down that path again...

Then I guess it's time for the firesell.....

Let Kj go. Cut Jjo, cut Myers, Cut Graham, & cut Fitzpatrick....... we'll have $31M in need of a center, WR, CB, TE, & QB.

I never thought to see the day. Bud Adams was hated for a very good reason.

Remember the late '60's, early '70's?

If McNair takes us down that path again...
No I don't remember the late 60's or early 70's. Bud Adams wasn't hated for that time fame, though. Bud Adams was hated for holding the city of Houston hostage once the Oilers reached a modicum of success and for being a prick, overall.

He wanted out last year and screwed it up badly. They learned their lesson and are going strong this year.

Honestly, don't blame him one bit and he should have done this last year. He's signed horrible extensions (once way underpaid, and the current one led to this) and would have benefitted from better representation over the years. I'm surprised a rival agent wasn't able to get in his ear.

Back