Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

We got a 6th for Matt Schaub.

Think about it

I don't see that as a fair comparison.

Im thinking swap 2's maybe to gain a half dozen spots and pick up a 4th round pick. Is that nuts?

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://media.culturemap.com/crop/68/3b/600x450/Andre_Johnson_Houston_Texans_football_player.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1226/nfl_claytonaptm2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/San+Francisco+49ers+v+Houston+Texans+HIXTNM6u5uRl.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/a/b/e/abe1efec-44f2-4890-b337-7a5f068fdbdd/7b832f5f-4c1d-e211-b4bb-002655e6c126_original.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://www.interceptado.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Andre-Johnson-Vs-Washington-Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt2psuhw1b1qm9rypo1_r1_1280.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://www.rotoback.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Andre-Johnson.jpg[/IMG]

As already pointed out in this thread: this was not about money. They told him he would have a lesser role and he did not want any of it
IMHO, AJ is going to have a bitter pill to swallow. He's not going to command much more than half of what the Texans owed him (salary cap hit-wise) on the open market. He's leaving due to hurt feelings, not a desire for a Super Bowl.

Wait a second... When i suggested this likelihood, people on this board shouted me down... Called me an idiot... Said it would never happen. I am confused. What is happening?

You sure did, and I got a ton of insults for it too. Guys actually wanted to pay AJ $20 mill in here.

This is actually being handled really well by the Texans if they're allowing him to go out and shop himself out to teams like a free agent so teams can figure out what they would give up for him and what they'd pay for him. The Texans probably won't get much for him in offers though. Teams are going to know that we aren't paying that $16 Mill or whatever he is owed. They'll likely offer very little, and hope for a steal on a trade. They all probably figure we'll release him before paying that contract out before we'd cave and end up paying it. The thing is that AJ should be doing everything just to stay here to stay on that contract. He isn't going to get anything close to that here or anywhere else.

Hey! I'm a grown man. I can get pissed off if I want!

:pissed:

Not good for your health.

Like DB said, this is only entertainment we are talking about. I'm finding this thread very entertaining. Whether the Texans org made the right move we will see in the on the field product next yr.

He's leaving due to hurt feelings, not a desire for a Super Bowl.

You can't know that. He's not getting a SB here this year. Why wouldnt he opt for a team like the pats? I hope he gets it. We're not going far till we get that qb position squared away.

Someone will trade for him. Why risk hoping he signs with you when you can grab him instantly and rework his deal?

I agree...but your shaub 6 isnt accurate i think. I think we can do a 4th round pick depending on aj's flexibility to restructure.

You can't know that. He's not getting a SB here this year. Why wouldnt he opt for a team like the pats? I hope gets it. We're not going far till we get that qb position squared away.

I'm willing to bet it's not about the money, but we'll find out what it was all about when he goes to either New England or to Oakland. Insert any good vs any crap team there but you get the picture.

Still thinking there is something else happening really soon. McNair is a business man and knows how PR spin works.

I am a huge AJ fan. Been wearing his jersey to Texans games for the past decade. I think its about money with the Texans and AJ far apart. 9 million in cap savings was too juicy to pass up. I have been feeling like he should probably be a post June 1st cut for awhile now. He will be missed if he does in fact move on, but as my dad always says, "one monkey don't stop no show."

The Texans just about had to do this. He simply wasn't worth his cap hit anymore, and figured to decline every year from now on. If they can get something for him instead of having to cut him, they'll come our smelling like a rose. They probably have their eye on another big physical wideout in the draft.

As for AJ, here's hoping he catches on with an instant winner and gets a superbowl ring in the twilight of his career. The Colts are the most likely to sign him.

Someone will trade for him. Why risk hoping he signs with you when you can grab him instantly and rework his deal?

They told him to look for a trade out of respect for him. They aren't going to go out and trade him for their benefit.

I can't even be mad and Dre. I am heartbroken, but not mad. I hope he gets to go to a Superbowl contender and wins a ring next year. The man has earned it. He can go anywhere except the Colts.

Still thinking there is something else happening really soon. McNair is a business man and knows how PR spin works.

Hope so. If losing aj means we can keep kj is it worth it? Yes.

It is $9 million that can be better allocated... Not to mention, it clears $17 million from the 2016 cap, which is $4million mor than Dez Bryant's franchise tag.

Like I said, there are other ways to get that money & keep the player.

This team is better with Andre Johnson than without.

The Texans have a team of people whose soul purpose is to figure out a way to get as many quality players on this roster for said amount of money. Having extra money & no players does no one any good.

IMO I don't think Houston is competing for the Super Bowl next season with the current QB situation (unless it changes big time) so I would've preferred they play this season out with him still here. Of course it's easy for me to say when I'm not the one making the tough decisions.

I understand why they want to move on from that cap number this year and next year but I'm still disappointed that his time here is over. He's been such a fantastic player and I selfishly wanted to see him retire as a Texan.

When did we get rid of Deandre Hopkins?

I don't believe he will produce game in and game out without an AJ out there. AJ may have declined, but having him out there makes a HUGE impact. Regardless if he is the target or not.

I just don't see DH filling those shoes. I pray I'm wrong.

I knew this day would come but NEVER wanted it to.

Man I am going to miss seeing #80 in a Texans uni.

Thanks for all the memories and being my favorite player for well over a decade, ugh it still hurts.

They told him to look for a trade out of respect for him. They aren't going to go out and trade him for their benefit.

I was talking positive news to counter this. Like announce tomorrow that KJ and Mallett have resigned.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how incredibly shitty this is as a sales job. "Hi AJ, we've got nobody on the team that can even dream of replacing your "role" last year, but we're confident whatever rookie or maybe FA we haven't signed yet will be better than you. How's that sound?"

Either bad reporting or bad strategy.

These are the guys who made no offer whatsoever to Mario Williams, payed Ed Reed more than what Glover Quinn signed with Detroit for, & cut a healthy Owen Daniels after saying he's willing to restructure his contract.

I'm leaning towards bad strategy.

I read that Texans told dre he wouldnt be cut or asked to take a pay cut and he'd finish his career here last year, to get him into camp.

On the other hand, they are doing this pretty early so he can find a good situation.

If we have to cut him....the FA compensation is 2016 correct?

I was talking positive news to counter this. Like announce tomorrow that KJ and Mallett have resigned.

Would you trade Andre Johnson for Mallett and KJ? Your "good news" scenario doesn't balance out in favor of the Texans, IMHO.

What a joke
"Reduced role" translates in Texan to: "we won't have a QB next year who can get you the ball. Is that ok?"

I'm praying he comes to NE. At least I could still see him play. I'd love for him to play for a real contender just once

These are the guys who made no offer whatsoever to Mario Williams, payed Ed Reed more than what Glover Quinn signed with Detroit for, & cut a healthy Owen Daniels after saying he's willing to restructure his contract.

I'm leaning towards bad strategy.

Who is in charge of these decisions?

End of an era. AJ was/is class act. I wish him well.

Time moves on.

It's just life, and the thing is getting old is not for babies because it's tough. And in NFL years, Andre is definitely getting old.
Not to worry though because he'll still go to the HOF as a Texan, no matter who he plays with the last year or two in the league.

Would you trade Andre Johnson for Mallett and KJ? Your "good news" scenario doesn't balance out in favor of the Texans, IMHO.

I'm looking at it the way you are somewhat only i disagree on it benefiting the Texans.

What are our cap savings for cutting/trading him?

If that money means we retain kj or mallet im ok with it. As much as we love aj was he worth the 10+ million he was going to make? No.

My enthusiasm for the start of the season was at a 10, now it is at a modest 1, i know that's sad, but damn.

Damn Bro!! That's drastic.......

But I hear ya!!

My belief is that AJ won't being going anywhere. He will retire a Texan! He has two homes: South Florida AND Houston Texas

Like I said, there are other ways to get that money & keep the player.

This team is better with Andre Johnson than without.

The Texans have a team of people whose soul purpose is to figure out a way to get as many quality players on this roster for said amount of money. Having extra money & no players does no one any good.

You are telling me that it is impossible to allocate that $9 million towards a player/s which would result in a better team than simply keeping AJ... He is in decline. Of course the team could keep him. They decided their resources could be spent better in other ways... More important that this year's savings will be next year's $16 million saved... unless they count him as a June 1st cut.. if that happens, then they will save about $12 million this year and $12 million next.

If we have to cut him....the FA compensation is 2016 correct?
You don't get compensation when the player is cut.

I'm thinking Denver. He knows the offense. And if he's going to take a reduced roll, er...role, why not take it while playing with Peyton?

Hope so. If losing aj means we can keep kj is it worth it? Yes.

No.

Kj may very well be the best CB on the market. That just means it's not a very good CB market. Kj's a #2 & if he's looking for #1 money, we need to pass. Regardless what's going on with Aj.

Aj will probably go to the Broncos. He'll take Julius Thomas' place & they'll pay him $7M to do it.

AJ has to make a last minute bid for the Hall of Fame, don't blame him for wanting to go some place with a real NFL QB.

There is currently a logjam ahead of him in the HOF WRs. TO, Moss, Harrison, etc. All had better careers. Dude needs to pad some stats.

Emmitt Smith played for the Cards, Montana for the Chiefs. This kind of thing happens at the end of great careers.

It sucks that he won't retire a Texan because he can still play at a high level but that's the way goes sometimes. Wherever he goes I wish Andre all the best. He's was a total professional. He will always have a place in heart like Nolan Ryan, warren moon, Hakeem Olajuwon & Earl Campbell.

Can somebody make this my sig?

Don't know how to do it myself.

I've been saying it. Mallett deal is done, team needed to wait for the Johnson domino to fall. Team will use Mallett signing to put positive spin on things when Johnson is released. Probably by the end of the week now.

Back