Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Key words for Johnson "reduced role." Not pay cut.

The Texans wanted Johnson, who will turn 34 in July and will be a Hall of Fame candidate when his career is over, to take a reduced role next season, and he declined, according to people familiar with the situation, who also disclosed the two sides never discussed his contract.

Rather than accept the reduced role, Johnson asked to be traded or cut

Last edited:
Just seen his instagram post. Didn't think I'd see him leave. Even bob said he wanted him to retire a texan. bill said it a couple of days ago. But Andre should have done Houston a solid and take a paycut/reduced role. Lord knows he's not struggling for money. The texans have paid him handsomely for years.

so what team u think he will go 2

Seahawks

Denver

Patriots

colts

Greenbay

...?????

Hate to see him go. Wish Smith would be next.

All of a sudden the Texans have to get a lot better at identifying/developing talent at WR.

Last edited:
Funny thing about this is everyone says we need the Cap space, can't wait to see what a joke of a WR they sign.

Bet that cap space doesn't help our offense as much as AJ would.

I'm done posting for a few months, this **** makes me sick.

Exactly, Internet GMs are all giddy because we save money yet when has the real GM shown he knows what to do with that extra money?. It's not like we were over paying for a washed up vet. Dre is still producing like a number one and now we have to hope a GM who has only once made a splash in Free Agency (Two players who people also want to get rid of) get us a "cheaper, younger and better replacement?. Like if having a QB problem is not enough.

Tough call, but the right call.

A true class act, my favorite AJ moment, ironically, is him going at it with Cortland Finnegan. Thanks for the memories, Andre. I wish him the best.

^^^^
This

Times are a changing in Texans land.

These are the hard decisions that weren't being made in the past.

Good luck AJ, I hope you do well, thanks for the memories.

Exactly, Internet GMs are all giddy because we save money yet when has the real GM shown he knows what to do with that extra money?. It's not like we were over paying for a washed up vet. Dre is still producing like a number one and now we have to hope a GM who has only once made a splash in Free Agency (Two players who people also want to get rid of) get us a "cheaper, younger and better replacement?. Like if having a QB problem is not enough.

Maybe it is money to sign that guy in your signature?
Maybe they have an ace up their sleeve? Maclin/Cobb ?

Quit making up reasons why this wont work and getting yourself all worked up.

No it's not, this is the same team who gave Schaub a new contract after his injury gave Cushing a new one after his, drafted #1 overall player who needed surgery, yet because our future HOF WR has a down season we are reducing his role and pretty much forcing him to go some where else.

My respect for this organization just nose dived faster than a kamikaze on a US destroyer.

Well, I'm glad you feel that way. Maybe now you'll quit putting up all those ****-for-brain prediction threads.

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith

I'm trying to wrap my head around how incredibly shitty this is as a sales job. "Hi AJ, we've got nobody on the team that can even dream of replacing your "role" last year, but we're confident whatever rookie or maybe FA we haven't signed yet will be better than you. How's that sound?"

Either bad reporting or bad strategy.

Wait a second... When i suggested this likelihood, people on this board shouted me down... Called me an idiot... Said it would never happen. I am confused. What is happening?

That's the way it is on this MB sometimes.

I wonder who ultimately made this call?

That's a lot of maybe's.

I am confused. Someone said "reduced roll" and not a "pay cut"
That makes no sense to me. It's not like he is returning kicks and such Heis a wide receiver ..what? He not be on the field as much? Not going to be targeted if he can get open? Who's better on the team? This isn't a running back where he is taken out on 3rd downs Or a linebacker ... This is a wide receiver.

Sounds like a PC version of "not happy " or the Texans think he is overpaid now

Dude's 34, overpriced, and it's a great draft for receivers. I love the guy i do, but this is the shrewd kinda business move we normally DONT see here. I'll finish out the post season before passing judgment.

Coming from McLame, I won't be surprised if the Texans extend AJ with 100M guaranteed. LOL

In all seriousness, I wish the best for AJ, but $16M against the cap just wasn't going to happen.

I see the Texan keeping Newton, KJ and JJo as a result. I'm not sure how I feel about keeping JJo, but I expect to see a rework of his and Meyer's contracts. Maybe Cushing's, also.Hopefully, the Texans will be players in FA. I would definitely give up the two 1st round picks for Bryant. In a freaking heartbeat. He fits the skill set and would be an instant asset for Mallett.

How can yall say this was a hard or smart decision? All they have done is cut a highly productive player for no reason. Only after they DO something with this extra cap space is when we should call this a hard/smart decision. Right now it's looking very dumb. And no, we are not following the Patriots or Steelers footsteps. Patriots have an all-time great at QB. Hell, they can cut whoever they want and replace my grandma as their receiver and they'll still get to the playoffs. We are in no position to be cutting Andre when we have no fall back plan. And I'm saying this because Rick has only ONCE made a big free agent acquisition and that was only after a historically bad defensive performance the season prior.

I'll eat my crow once the FO proves me wrong and replaces Andre's level of production with a good receiver. Until then my words stand. Tired of this bullshit we have to go through. Take one step forward and two steps back. That's the Texans motto guys.

/rant

Sorry needed to get that off my chest.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how incredibly shitty this is as a sales job. "Hi AJ, we've got nobody on the team that can even dream of replacing your "role" last year, but we're confident whatever rookie or maybe FA we haven't signed yet will be better than you. How's that sound?"

What team were you watching last year. AJ did not look too difficult to replace. Check out the free agent WRs available. This is not an issue. Moving forward. Instead, it is an important step towards getting better... Maybe we can get some useful speed on the field.

We all knew this was coming. It's not some huge surprise. Thank him for what he did on the field for us and wish him the best unless he's playing us.

Way too many here that are hung up on blind loyalty to what was done in the past. I guess we've found out who they are. :)

No it's not, this is the same team who gave Schaub a new contract after his injury gave Cushing a new one after his, drafted #1 overall player who needed surgery, yet because our future HOF WR has a down season we are reducing his role and pretty much forcing him to go some where else.

My respect for this organization just nose dived faster than a kamikaze on a US destroyer.

Why do you want the organization to repeat its mistakes instead of learning from them?

Overpaying wasn't the only option.

Trading him, cutting him..... aren't the only options. There's some wiggle room in between. Rick Smith has to sell Andre on the Texans & Andre needs to sell himself to the Texans & meet somewhere in between.

Trading him away saves us $8.8M, are you saying there was no way a competent businessman can find a way to save that $8.8M?

Competent? Who are you referring too?

LOL

People are starting to understand what the Texans org is all about.

Fitzgerald just redid his contract to stay with his team. Random fact.

As already pointed out in this thread: this was not about money. They told him he would have a lesser role and he did not want any of it

As already pointed out in this thread: this was not about money. They told him he would have a lesser role and he did not want any of it

I am an idiot. What lesser role can a number one receiver get? I am confused here. It isnt like he isnt returning punts or kickoffs also? It's not like our TEs were existent last year

From what I heard It was more like they were just pushing him out the door but he thinks they are still hoping to get something for him. If not he will be cut. I heard nothing about reduced role. It was more we are going in a different direction. He was told he could look for a trade out of respect for him instead of them trying to trade him somewhere he didn't want to go.

Fitzgerald just redid his contract to stay with his team. Random fact.

Fitzgerald hasn't hit 1000 yds the last 3 seasons and will count $10.8 and $15.6 on the cap the next 2 years prior to leaving another $9.7 in dead money when gone.

Random facts.

Man this first 24 hours after this news is going to be rough. Everyone is so emotional right now and rightfully so. Need to watch how we are reacting and what we are saying

So, trade possible (not with his current contract i know) - what about compensation? What's he worth in draft picks?

h289C53C8

Seriously, not a single person stands up in the "meeting" can do the above when this idea was proposed?

I guess we don't want to win. Having QB problems? Get rid of your best WR. After all, It's not like you are using them. :gun:

Im sure he will be a Raven.

Well this is a kick in the balls.

Quick question. I'm no expert in the business side of American sports. What sort of trade value are we looking at for a guy who, whilst obviously still able to play at a high level, turns 34 in a couple of months and his coming off his worst season in forever? Given that they've granted him permission to set something up, it doesn't seem as if they have much leverage to get a favourable deal. Is it just a case of getting whatever because it's better than cutting him and getting nothing?

Hey! I'm a grown man. I can get pissed off if I want!

:pissed:

Coming from McLame, I won't be surprised if the Texans extend AJ with 100M guaranteed. LOL

In all seriousness, I wish the best for AJ, but $16M against the cap just wasn't going to happen.

I see the Texan keeping Newton, KJ and JJo as a result. I'm not sure how I feel about keeping JJo, but I expect to see a rework of his and Meyer's contracts. Maybe Cushing's, also.Hopefully, the Texans will be players in FA. I would definitely give up the two 1st round picks for Bryant. In a freaking heartbeat. He fits the skill set and would be an instant asset for Mallett.

I could get on board with giving up two 1sts for Dez. But in reality I think AJ's $$$$ goes to KJ and Newton plus a vet WR in FA with the rest of the cap room.

h289C53C8

Seriously, not a single person stands up in the "meeting" can do the above when this idea was proposed?

I guess we don't want to win. Having QB problems? Get rid of your best WR, after all. It's not like you are using them.:gun:
When did we get rid of Deandre Hopkins?

Back