Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

If you mean that they should have tried to add 3 years to his current deal- and pay him a contract for the next 5 years, I think that would be foolish.

If you mean add a 3rd year to his deal, there was no way to do reduce his cap hit that much unless he took a major reduction in pay... like pay for free. His cap hit was over $16 million for 2015, and again for 2016... even if you added a year to that and spread it out, his cap hit would still be over $10 million each of those 3 years... Cutting AJ this year was mostly about the $17 million in cap savings for 2016.

We discussed severseveral rios where we could get Andre's cap in line with the Texans' goals before we released him. Saying it would have been impossible now is just wrong & misleading.

We couldn't get his numbers as low as what the Colts did, but we should have been open to a $2M~$5M caphit premium total for the first guy we plan to add to our ring of honor.

Sounds like Andre was unhappy for a while. He's kind of contradicting himself a little.

How so? I read it a couple of days ago, so maybe I've forgotten some of the finer points. But yes, he says he's been unhappy for a while, but last year he allowed it to affect his play.

How so? I read it a couple of days ago, so maybe I've forgotten some of the finer points. But yes, he says he's been unhappy for a while, but last year he allowed it to affect his play.

Yeah, that's kind of how I saw it. I'm really not pleased with the way OB and the Texans in general handled all of this but I also think they were right about it being time to move on from the Andre Johnson "era". Sometimes both sides need a change and it works out best for everyone. Now I just want one thing and that's for the Houston Texans to keep getting in the way of his dream of winning a championship.

Is that so much to ask for?

I was more thinking a long the lines of how he left town....Maybe contradicting is the wrong word...In fact it is...

But Andre said goodbye at the end of last season...He knew he was leaving...The 40 catch things seems like poor tact rather than a serious idea.

A lot of people cited that Schaub blow up as the beggining of the end...Sounds like he may have been upset even a bit before that...

I was more thinking a long the lines of how he left town....Maybe contradicting is the wrong word...In fact it is...

But Andre said goodbye at the end of last season...He knew he was leaving...The 40 catch things seems like poor tact rather than a serious idea.

A lot of people cited that Schaub blow up as the beggining of the end...Sounds like he may have been upset even a bit before that...

Or, maybe the 40 catch thing was only part of the conversation. O'Brien has not said a word, and will not say a word, about their conversation. A.J. was presenting his perception, and human nature is to always present the information that best supports your perspective. I think there was more to the story, but we will never know the full picture. He was asked to take a reduced role, in whatever capacity, for a team that he stopped wanting to play for before the 2014 season even started.

Or, maybe the 40 catch thing was only part of the conversation.

That may be...However I wouldn't classify that as an "or" proposition but rather an "and".....although I'm not sure what else could be added to the conversation at that point that would affect the 40 catch statement that makes much sense.

I actually feel better about them getting rid of Andre since it's abundantly clear he didn't want to be here anyways but I agree with him in that telling him he'll only catch 40 balls is just another way of getting him to ask out.

Maybe he did want to look good at the time. He doesn't seem to worried about that now though.

That may be...However I wouldn't classify that as an "or" proposition but rather an "and".....although I'm not sure what else could be added to the conversation at that point that would affect the 40 catch statement that makes much sense.

I actually feel better about them getting rid of Andre but I agree with him in that telling a guy he'll only catch 40 balls is just another way of getting him to ask out.

Maybe he did want to look good at the time. He doesn't seem to worried about that now though.

Purely speculation on my part, but the 40 catch angle could have been a number thrown out there as the low end of 40-100 catches in this offense, depending on a variety of factors (i.e. QB decisions, opposing defensive schemes, etc).

He was obviously told that he was not no. 1 anymore, and as the alpha dog in H-town since he was drafted, I'm sure his ego took a hit. And when you're not the no. 1 WR anymore, your catch numbers can vary. His role was reduced to being a possession receiver instead of a primary weapon, and since his heart was obviously not with the team for awhile anymore, who knows what else went into this coaching decisions.

Purely speculation on my part, but the 40 catch angle could have been a number thrown out there as the low end of 40-100 catches in this offense, depending on a variety of factors (i.e. QB decisions, opposing defensive schemes, etc).

He was obviously told that he was not no. 1 anymore, and as the alpha dog in H-town since he was drafted, I'm sure his ego took a hit. And when you're not the no. 1 WR anymore, your catch numbers can vary. His role was reduced to being a possession receiver instead of a primary weapon, and since his heart was obviously not with the team for awhile anymore, who knows what else went into this coaching decisions.
Yeah...That makes sense.

Manning is a Bronco so we Colts fans understand what it is like to not have your marquee (pre-Watt) player any longer. But we are thankful that we get to rent him for a couple of years.

Andre Johnson says Andrew Luck is best QB in NFL

New Indianapolis Colts receiver Andre Johnson dealt with a revolving door at quarterback during his 12-year career with the Houston Texans. Although he's only been working with Andrew Luck for a short period of time, Johnson already believes he's catching passes from the best quarterback in the NFL.

"He's a hell of a player," Johnson said. "I think he's the best quarterback in this game."

That's a lot of praise for a player who has yet to reach the Super Bowl, especially since future Hall of Famers like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are still in the NFL.
"When you look at all the teams that have won Super Bowls over the past few years, they've all had great quarterback play, and we have a great quarterback here," Johnson said. "I can't say I've been fortunate enough to play with a great quarterback in my 12 years in this league, so I'm able to play with one now."

rodgers.jpg

Not to take anything away from Luck, but if Johnson really wanted to win a Super Bowl, why not go to Denver, New England, Green Bay or Seattle? Granted Luck is a much better QB than anything we have here in Houston, but I still think Johnson choosing to sign with Indy was just a big middle finger to the Texans FO. Either way I still say "F him" when it comes to AJ.

Not to take anything away from Luck, but if Johnson really wanted to win a Super Bowl, why not go to Denver, New England, Green Bay or Seattle? Granted Luck is a much better QB than anything we have here in Houston, but I still think Johnson choosing to sign with Indy was just a big middle finger to the Texans FO. Either way I still say "F him" when it comes to AJ.
I think playing with his boy Frank Gore played into the decision. That would have taken GB and Seattle off the list since they already have stud RBs. Even Denver has a young talent in CJ Anderson so why would they need Gore?

Did any of those teams make him an offer? I can't imagine Seattle not kicking the tires... but I don't remember hearing anything about Andre visiting or talking to any other team

Did any of those teams make him an offer? I can't imagine Seattle not kicking the tires... but I don't remember hearing anything about Andre visiting or talking to any other team

I was thinking about that before I wrote my post, and I never heard of any offers from the teams I mentioned. But not even sure if AJ visited any other teams besides Indy. One would think at least one of the teams I mentioned would have at least had some interest. Especially Seattle like you said.

It will be interesting to see how far the best QB in the NFL gets with a second rate line ~protecting~ him.

He's done quite well the last 2 yrs with avg protection at best. I expect Luck to be as good or better next yr than he was last yr.

He's done quite well the last 2 yrs with avg protection at best. I expect Luck to be as good or better next yr than he was last yr.
Me too. Despite my previous post, there's little doubt in my mind that Luck and the Colts will be serious challengers this coming season. I'd really like to break our duck in Indy this time.

I think playing with his boy Frank Gore played into the decision. That would have taken GB and Seattle off the list since they already have stud RBs. Even Denver has a young talent in CJ Anderson so why would they need Gore?

Yep, I think Gore was a big part of the decision (and I would not be surprised if playing Houston twice a year played into it). The only other team ever confirmed to be interested was the Chargers, afaik.

It will be interesting to see how far the best QB in the NFL gets with a second rate line ~protecting~ him.
I can't wait until we play the Colts twice. Our D-Line will destroy their O-Line. Also, I won't feel the least bit bad seeing Andre Johnson on the losing end on the side lines across the field. How sweet it would be to win our first ever game at Indianapolis and with our franchise icon playing for them. Bring it on, baby! We nearly beat them at Indy last year with Andre Johnson wearing street clothes (out with concussion) and down to our fourth quarterback on the depth chart.

It must be nice when they were able to "Triple Team" J.J. Watt on that Andrew Luck Touchdown pass to Hakeem Nicks in that 17-10 Colts' win against the Texans at Indianapolis last year. That turned out to be the difference in the game. They won't be able to do that this year with Vince Wilfork in the fold and hopefully a healthy Cushing and Clowney at linebacker.

So they added a couple of aging veterans at positions that better serves youth, speed, athleticism and quickness. And people just want to crown their ass and hail the Colts as Super Bowl champions. Let's see if Andre Johnson and Frank Gore can even stay healthy for an entire year.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about the damn Colts. Let's play some football in 2015! Decide things on the field where the real battle begins. I'll take our D-Line over their O-Line. That's a matchup we have to exploit. They are more than welcome to use three guys, not just two, to block J.J. Watt again if they so choose.

It must be nice when they were able to "Triple Team" J.J. Watt on that Andrew Luck Touchdown pass to Hakeem Nicks in that 17-10 Colts' win against the Texans at Indianapolis last year. That turned out to be the difference in the game. They won't be able to do that this year with Vince Wilfork in the fold and hopefully a healthy Cushing and Clowney at linebacker.

So they added a couple of aging veterans at positions that better serves youth, speed, athleticism and quickness. And people just want to crown their ass and hail the Colts as Super Bowl champions. Let's see if Andre Johnson and Frank Gore can even stay healthy for an entire year.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about the damn Colts. Let's play some football in 2015! Decide things on the field where the real battle begins. I'll take our D-Line over their O-Line. That's a matchup we have to exploit. They are more than welcome to use three guys, not just two, to block J.J. Watt again if they so choose.
You and me both. It's time for fans to get over it. Ditto HRH Peyton Manning. This is a NEW ERA.

Mike Meltser @MikeMeltser

"The past 2 seasons there were pretty miserable. I can tell you it was hard to go to work" -- Andre Johnson on @LeBatardShow​

Oh boo freakin' hoo. Poor Andre. He only made $27.5 million combined his last 2 seasons here. Can't win every game every freaking season Andre. Tell you what Andre, you come do what I do for a living and make what I make for a year and see how "hard it is to go to work". Get over it already Andre.

Oh boo freakin' hoo. Poor Andre. He only made $27.5 million combined his last 2 seasons here. Can't win every game every freaking season Andre. Tell you what Andre, you come do what I do for a living and make what I make for a year and see how "hard it is to go to work". Get over it already Andre.
Sounds like AJ comes to work to be part of a winner. When he saw that wasn't happening I could see where that was a bummer. But if you only come to work to pick up a check, I can understand why you don't get it. Otherwise, why bring up what he makes?

I agree with you to a certain extent....but then again, don't we all complain?

Is there some homeless guy in a gutter complaining about the overprivelaged guy in a shack who's complaining about the overprivelaged middle class guy who's complaining about the overprivelaged rich guy who's complaining about the billionaire?

Point is no matter your lot in life you probably have something to complain about. Money isn't the be all end all for enjoyment though the less of it you have the more you tend to think it is.

I wonder if he plans on retiring a Texan. He sure is making it seem like he's burning bridges with all these comments to the media. He needs to just shut up and play.

I wonder if he plans on retiring a Texan. He sure is making it seem like he's burning bridges with all these comments to the media. He needs to just shut up and play.

Seriously. Couldn't get a decent quote out of the guy for 10 years and all of a sudden he's a fkn chatterbox. Dude needs to STFU. I was already a way bigger fan of JJ Watt than I was of AJ, and his mouthing off isn't helping.

Seriously. Couldn't get a decent quote out of the guy for 10 years and all of a sudden he's a fkn chatterbox. Dude needs to STFU. I was already a way bigger fan of JJ Watt than I was of AJ, and his mouthing off isn't helping.

Seriously, this is mouthing off? F'king people are sticking mikes in his face left and right and he has basically said the obvious. He had one decent QB in his career - a guy most around here found insufficient. He charlie miked. Now he's a little excited about having a QB folks are debating is/will be elite and you begrudge him that?

Seriously, this is mouthing off? F'king people are sticking mikes in his face left and right and he has basically said the obvious. He had one decent QB in his career - a guy most around here found insufficient. He charlie miked. Now he's a little excited about having a QB folks are debating is/will be elite and you begrudge him that?

I wouldn't call it mouthing off really. I would call it petty after a while. The guy's not new to having mics shoved in his face with loaded questions attached, he's completely aware of the words coming out of his mouth and how they can come across. It's not like he couldn't simply say that he's a Colt now and he's excited for a new season and all that good blah blah blah, instead he's chosen to air laundry. I'm not terribly offended, but I can see how some people are rolling their eyes at the new chatty Dre.

I wouldn't call it mouthing off really. I would call it petty after a while. The guy's not new to having mics shoved in his face with loaded questions attached, he's completely aware of the words coming out of his mouth and how they can come across. It's not like he couldn't simply say that he's a Colt now and he's excited for a new season and all that good blah blah blah, instead he's chosen to air laundry. I'm not terribly offended, but I can see how some people are rolling their eyes at the new chatty Dre.

Have you met AJ? I'm not trying to be demeaning (which means I'm about to be) but really - dude is one of the greatest WRs of all time...and his cartoon bubble for thinking is normally ("see ball, catch ball"). Give him a break. All the dude cares about (knows about, thinks about, dreams about, etc.) is the downward half of the arc of a pass. He and Schaub had a moment.

magical-moment-mondays-summertime.jpg

I don't know if I just slammed AJ or complimented him. Anyway...

Have you met AJ? I'm not trying to be demeaning (which means I'm about to be) but really - dude is one of the greatest WRs of all time...and his cartoon bubble for thinking is normally ("see ball, catch ball"). Give him a break. All the dude cares about (knows about, thinks about, dreams about, etc.) is the downward half of the arc of a pass. He and Schaub had a moment.

I don't know if I just slammed AJ or complimented him. Anyway...

No one's asking him to give an oral dissertation on nuanced team free agent logistics. The messy break up will be over as soon as he gets over it though. No biggie.

I think most fans don't begrudge him a bit for wanting to take this late shot in his career elsewhere. But this is his thirteenth new year doing this, and even operating with football Asperger's at best he knows what words he can use to either get on with the get on or keep picking at old wounds. I'd just tell him to go be happy there, lose twice a year minimum, and we'll all be excited to welcome him back with open arms when he hangs 'em up and it's Hall time.

And I think you slammed him. But I don't think he'd get it so you're probably in the clear.

Last edited:
And I think you slammed him. But I don't think he'd get it, so you're probably in the clear.

I should have gone with this...

I had a boston terrier. Tiny little thing, 12 lbs on a fat day. Tennis ball obsessed. That doesn't quite capture, OBSESSED. But to try to convey how small she was, she truly could barely get a tennis ball in her mouth.* Normally if another dog was around, whatever, size, yada...she went and stood behind our boxer. If the tennis ball was out...that beotch would attack an English Mastiff (actually the English Mastiff attempted the 1st bite, after that...the boxer got involved. Boston Terrier wasn't stupid on who had her back.).

All that to say this - she lived to 13 years old (100 to 0 in that long). Took her to the Millie Bush dog park regularly. Never once did I see her beat to a ball. Seriously, not once by any kind of dog, any size. I used to joke she had two brain cells - 'breath' and 'get the ball.' AJ you're the best at the latter if you're reading this.

* damn dog couldn't grab the ball in the water except for maybe one in 50 times. She'd swim around in the pond pushing the damn thing around for half an hour. What the hell are you going to do? I'll say this, she was in shape. If she was human (except with 8 nipples)...

Jamie_Eason_96.jpg

Last edited:

The best QB comments came off as petty, but fine, whatever. Like you said, he had a rough go of it here. But he's had a couple quotes that basically point to him not giving it his all and now it was tough to show up at work. Even if that's true, STFU in the media about it. Like was said above, he knows what he's saying. It's passive-aggressive at its best. He could choose to take the high road and just say it was a tough thing, he gave it his all, and now he's moving on and no one would begrudge him anything he's saying. The guy's coming off like he has an axe to grind. And as I said, from a guy you couldn't get a full sentence from in the past, it's noticeable now. None of that has anything to do with his legacy or ability, but I am not a fan of athletes who mail it in at any point. I know, they're human, but they're also supposed to be the cream of the crop for their work ethic and they have a professional responsibility. This reminds me of Lance Berkman's comments when he left, basically admitting that he mailed it in.

After reading this garbage I hope Andre wins jack and ****. Guy was a cancer last year is all this article tells me and I am glad his prima donna ass is gone now. When we beat the Colts twice next year we can point and say "**** you Andre!"

The best QB comments came off as petty, but fine, whatever. Like you said, he had a rough go of it here. But he's had a couple quotes that basically point to him not giving it his all and now it was tough to show up at work. Even if that's true, STFU in the media about it. Like was said above, he knows what he's saying. It's passive-aggressive at its best. He could choose to take the high road and just say it was a tough thing, he gave it his all, and now he's moving on and no one would begrudge him anything he's saying. The guy's coming off like he has an axe to grind. And as I said, from a guy you couldn't get a full sentence from in the past, it's noticeable now. None of that has anything to do with his legacy or ability, but I am not a fan of athletes who mail it in at any point. I know, they're human, but they're also supposed to be the cream of the crop for their work ethic and they have a professional responsibility. This reminds me of Lance Berkman's comments when he left, basically admitting that he mailed it in.

I respect your opinion. Can't quite come to agreement but...

After reading this garbage I hope Andre wins jack and ****. Guy was a cancer last year is all this article tells me and I am glad his prima donna ass is gone now. When we beat the Colts twice next year we can point and say "**** you Andre!"

... this kind of **** makes me want to puke or hit someone.

What kind of puerile person comes up with this?

I'm tired of seeing/hearing AJ now. He's like the scorned gf. Suddenly the last 10 years were horrible and everything was bad yet he didn't say jack sh!t about it while he was here. Happily kept cashing those checks though. I'm going to laugh if Luck goes down suddenly he's playing with Matt Hasselbeck.

I know this is blasphemy, but I like Andrew Luck. And honestly, I don't begrudge AJ for what he has been saying either. I'm putting the fault on the Texans...I've felt the same way Andre has.

I know this is blasphemy, but I like Andrew Luck. And honestly, I don't begrudge AJ for what he has been saying either. I'm putting the fault on the Texans...I've felt the same way Andre has.

To me, this isn't about Andrew Luck. He's a damn fine QB and has a ridiculously bright future. Is he better than any QB we've had? Absolutely.

My issue lays with AJ. He wasn't crying about Schaub when he was leading the league in passing and winning Probowl MVP. He must have cried all the way to the Probowl in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013. Must have been tossing himself the ball in 2008 and 2009 when he lead the league is receiving yards. Flat out, the guy is a hypocrite and a cry baby. Everything was great the years he was hurt but NOW there's a problem?

The best QB comments came off as petty, but fine, whatever. Like you said, he had a rough go of it here. But he's had a couple quotes that basically point to him not giving it his all and now it was tough to show up at work. Even if that's true, STFU in the media about it. Like was said above, he knows what he's saying. It's passive-aggressive at its best. He could choose to take the high road and just say it was a tough thing, he gave it his all, and now he's moving on and no one would begrudge him anything he's saying. The guy's coming off like he has an axe to grind.
I get the "hard to come to work" part, but I've never seen anything regarding him not giving 100% effort.

As to the "axe to grind"? If Andre isn't lying through his teeth on what happened this off-season, he has every right to be pissed about the way it went down. It sure doesn't sound like the "We want Andre to be a Texan forever" version that he heard from McNair last year. He was all but shoved out the door.

Sure, I think it's about time he put a cork in it, but we haven't even begun training camp yet.

To me, this isn't about Andrew Luck. He's a damn fine QB and has a ridiculously bright future. Is he better than any QB we've had? Absolutely.

My issue lays with AJ. He wasn't crying about Schaub when he was leading the league in passing and winning Probowl MVP. He must have cried all the way to the Probowl in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013. Must have been tossing himself the ball in 2008 and 2009 when he lead the league is receiving yards. Flat out, the guy is a hypocrite and a cry baby. Everything was great the years he was hurt but NOW there's a problem?

After listening to some of the interview it sounds like AJ had been voicing his opinions behind the scenes. Said he'd give his opinion about things and the Texans would do the opposite.

And to be fair, Andre really just said the last couple of years were "miserable". He didn't say his entire time here.

And lets not forget that Andre did say before last draft that he wanted a QB in round 1. Not only did they not draft a QB in round 1, but they waited until round 4 to take a guy who is looking at being third string again and may not ever be anything.

And the best QB they could get last year was apparently Fitzpatrick.

Your issue lies with reading comprehension. He's talking about 2013 & 14.

Please try to spell out how he is a hypocrite.

I get the "hard to come to work" part, but I've never seen anything regarding him not giving 100% effort.

As to the "axe to grind"? If Andre isn't lying through his teeth on what happened this off-season, he has every right to be pissed about the way it went down. It sure doesn't sound like the "We want Andre to be a Texan forever" version that he heard from McNair last year. He was all but shoved out the door.

Sure, I think it's about time he put a cork in it, but we haven't even begun training camp yet.

In the interview Andre basically said that he had come to a point where he felt he should start voicing his opinions more and that he guesses the team didn't like.

A simple "no comment" or "I'm with the Colts now" would suffice. But the dude keeps on and on. That's why the media keeps asking about it. Because he won't shut the hell up. Theyll eventually get tired of trying to get headline material if he keeps giving them the "no comment" line. Hey Dre the ***** inside of you is showing.

After listening to some of the interview it sounds like AJ had been voicing his opinions behind the scenes. Said he'd give his opinion about things and the Texans would do the opposite.

And to be fair, Andre really just said the last couple of years were "miserable". He didn't say his entire time here.

And lets not forget that Andre did say before last draft that he wanted a QB in round 1. Not only did they not draft a QB in round 1, but they waited until round 4 to take a guy who is looking at being third string again and may not ever be anything.

And the best QB they could get last year was apparently Fitzpatrick.

I get that he wanted a QB, we all did. It is my opinion and from the looks of it, the organizations opinion, that there was not a franchise QB to be taken #1 that year. Should they have Bortles to make AJ happy? It's feeling like AJ was more concerned about AJ than the team.

I get that his main gripe is the last 2 years but he can't sit here talking about great Luck is how he wished he would have had him all long. We all wish we could have had the #1 pick when a Luck or Manning were available. Those are the breaks. Maybe he can team up with Cam and they can put their pouty faces on together.

Back