Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

Moron. Basically.

Every swinging dick in here would give their left nut for a run at a SB ring. He's doing it and getting paid 7 mil to do so. Take your green spotted envy condom off.

AJ apologist?

He's a member of the hated Colts now and I will be booing him/Luck and the rest of that team in NRG next yr.

I cant lie. I very much dislike O'brien, I'll be an Andre Johnson fan for life and it eats at me every day that we fired Kubiak and Wade. There's an evil little part of me that keeps whispering - 'it'd be justice to see the Colts or Broncos win the Superbowl'. I've only missed 2 Texans games since their inception and am a fan through and through so I do my best to suppress that voice, but it's there in the back of my mind.

Why do you hate the mediocrity that BOB was last yr but fell in love with the 8 yrs of Kubiak's mediocrity? Does your love of all things A&M know no bounds? Kubiak was never going to win a SB here?

I wish him the best. He dedicated practically his whole career here while Houston never really gave him the opportunity to win.

How ironic would it be through if we beat the Colts at their stadium this year. Since we've never done it before.

My post was made to illustrate how dumb I think his "Houston will always be my home, buuuuuuuuuuuuut for now I'm going to play with Indianapolis. Sorry bros" sentiment is especially for the Texans fans who actually hate Indianapolis more than any other team in the league.

Indianapolis isn't even "Soviet Union" in terms of my hatred heirarchy anyway. They're more like, I don't know, France.

It was a relief to see Andre go to Indianapolis rather than say, New England, Oakland, Tennessee or Jacksonville. Was it pretty bitchmade of him to do so given the current Texans/Colts dynamic? Sure. But it won't make me nearly as sick than if he had gone to one of those four teams instead, for example.

I don't wish him the best. In fact, I wish him massive failure. I love this whole narrative that a fan has to stay loyal to a player no matter what and expressing any frustration or anger toward them is "jealousy" or "salt" or "hating on" being a "jilted lover" or whatever other dumb term that someone can throw out there. If players can do things like this and say "it's a business" and teams can do things like this and say "it's a business," then a fan can speak out and express their disdain and change of heart regarding a player. It's not "envy" or whatever our awesome lead moderator said. It's just business.

Last edited:
unmitigated disaster of a post right here.....I mean how in the hell can you dislike a coach who had the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick & Case Keenum start for over 80% of the season and still not only have a winning season but damn near have us in the playoffs? BoB coached his ass off last year. More importantly how can you still believe in Kubiak after a tenure mostly of fail and under achievement? Dude had 5 years to get it done & only had the success he did b/c McNair pulled his card and forced him to hire a guy that he otherwise may not have even hired.

Nailed it!

In addition, hiring your buddies to coach and administrate - just because they are your buddies - can lead to disasters and total meltdowns; as was the case of the 2013 Texans. The wheels fell of the wagon, the reigns inadvertently got wrapped around the coaches neck, the horses galloped into the sunset and all that was left was a pile of wood and dust. The wagon master had a mini-stroke on the sidelines, for the sake of all...that told me what was really going on. The coach knew he was in charge of a brigade that was hemmed at the seams and about to bust, and his swapping of QB's late in the season (against McNair's wishes) proved he was as indecisive as a sloth. To me, it panned-out oh so woefully on national television (the dreaded Colts game here in Houston).

Kubiak had his opportunities, and blew them. His staff was a disaster, especially the special teams coach. He had the greatest opportunity when Peyton Manning showed interest in joining the Texans, but Kubes was afraid he'd hurt Schaub's feelings since he was the one that brought him here.

I hate to see any Texans player leave the team, but it is a fact of business now, and until the regulations of free agency are changed; we can expect to witness lack of loyalty concerning players and teams. Money is the main factor while loyalty might come a very distant second.

So it is true...
One "oh sh*t" can really wipe out years of Attaboys

I thought that was only true with certain females I know.

One diva off-season.

One average regular season riddled with drops and fumbles.

One cowardly act of trying to blame and organization for releasing you, when getting released had been your objective for at least two years.

One taking less money to sign with a division rival, in a weak attempt at unjustified revenge.

Yeah, maybe not just One ...

Reactions: TD
I am thankful for what AJ did as a Texan, but am not going to wish him the best while he is wearing another team's uniform, esp the Colts. He could have gone to any team in the NFC and I probably would not feel the same, but he went to the Colts. This was not about the money, because he probably could have redone is contract and made the same amount here if he wanted. His mind was made up last year at this time.

He chose the Colts, did not go anywhere else. This was an "up yours" from him to us. 2015 needs to the first time we sweep Indy. I have always hated the Titans and Cowboys more, but think Indy has become my most hated team.

Go Texans!!!!:texflag::fans:

I understand what andre did does not mean I have to like so IMO screw andre he is the enemy now and I hope he Fails GO TEXANS !!

Mock me all you want, I stand by my opinion.

What's going to be real interesting is to see if Andre's touchdown totals change with the Colts' offense. If Luck has anything near another 40TD season, Andre could have his first double digit season - possibly having a monster year as a red zone target complimenting Hilton's speed.

I wish him the best. He dedicated practically his whole career here while Houston never really gave him the opportunity to win.

How ironic would it be through if we beat the Colts at their stadium this year. Since we've never done it before.

I can't be upset, myself. I just find it odd that he seems to be taking it out on O'Brien when the previous coaches messed up. I hope he does well statistically, but since I don't like the Colts, I hope their defense gives up 40 points a game.

either way when we play the colts andre will still be single covered TY is still the threat he can take the top off the Def not andre

but we shall see im sure Jackon will lock down AJ since J joe is slighty Faster then Jackson so obvs he will be on TY

Mock me all you want, I stand by my opinion.

What's going to be real interesting is to see if Andre's touchdown totals change with the Colts' offense. If Luck has anything near another 40TD season, Andre could have his first double digit season - possibly having a monster year as a red zone target complimenting Hilton's speed.

I'm sure you do stand by your opinion. I'm just glad that you've at least came out and admitted that you're only supporting this team if Kubiak is running it. Otherwise, you want some sort of revenge and bad fortune, because he can't run this organization into the ground anymore. Now you're also hoping that AJ gets some sort of bittersweet laughs at the TExans next year all because we wouldn't pay his ridiculous salary that he wasn't worth when you wanted us to pay him $20 mill a season. AJ goes to a team with an elite QB which had a ton of cap space and was able to load up on great players, and you're making some almighty prediction that AJ might do better with Luck than with a career back up QB who was only here, because our previous loser of a HC (Who you adore) ignored the idea of finding a replacement for Schaub. Way to go out there on a limb with your predictions there bro.

Denver's wagon is still waiting for you.

either way when we play the colts andre will still be single covered TY is still the threat he can take the top off the Def not andre

but we shall see im sure Jackon will lock down AJ since J joe is slighty Faster then Jackson so obvs he will be on TY

We need to play 2 FS against the colts to cover both Hilton and AJ. We also need an OLB with some speed to keep up with Fleener.

That is if we are trying to win this year. If not then go ahead and stick Swag out there have Cushing drop in coverage.

AJ's salary was $10.5 and a cap hit of $16.5. Not sure why the urge to exaggerate either.

I made a mistake, and could have sworn he and someone else were advocating that 20 Mill would have been fine to pay, because he's AJ in that other AJ thread about what he would be worth.

legends decline, but at their worst they're still legends. andre may not be worth 15 million on the field - but he's worth 5 mil in the community, 5 mil on the sidelines and 5 mil on the field. as essentially "THE" original texan, as potentially the first Texans hall of famer (especially if he stays with one team), the cap impact fails to outweigh everything else.

He isn't using that actual figure, but his words of stating that the cap impact outweighs anything else is a pretty strong suggestion that AJ is above the team's goals. You combine that with a self admission of wanting to see the Broncos and the Colts have some sort of high success to stick it to the Texans is pretty pathetic all because we fired a coach that went 2-14 in his 8th year here and because we wouldn't pay a 34 year old receiver that wasn't able to get more than $7 Mill per season on the open market. Obviously, the Texans weren't doing something that tons of other teams would have done. Not even close.

we wouldn't pay a 34 year old receiver that wasn't able to get more than $7 Mill per season on the open market. Obviously, the Texans weren't doing something that tons of other teams would have done. Not even close.

I think it's an open question what the Texans would have done if it wasn't for all the money from restructures bumping has cap hit.

AJ supposedly turned down more from San Diego than the $7.5 mil he got from Indy so we really don't know how far off the market was from his $10.5 mil salary. I doubt he would have been dumped over 3 mil or less.

Every swinging dick in here would give their left nut for a run at a SB ring. He's doing it and getting paid 7 mil to do so. Take your green spotted envy condom off.

The reactions should be no surprise when you consider that sports brand loyalty has now replaced nationalism in the American mindset.

As far as A.J., I get what you're saying. The loyal hardworking and dedicated player that we knew has been replaced by a ring-chasing mercenary sports whore. ;)

That is the basic essence of the modern NFL.

Here is the list of the top-15 all-time leaders in receiving yards by wide receivers (TE Tony Gonzalez would be the only addition overall ahead of Tim Brown at 5th):

1. Jerry Rice 22,895
2. Terrell Owens 15,934
3. Randy Moss 15,292
4. Isaac Bruce 15,208
5. Tim Brown 14,934
6. Marvin Harrison 14,580
7. Reggie Wayne* 14,345
8. James Lofton 14,004
9. Cris Carter 13,899
10. Henry Ellard 13,777
11. Andre Johnson* 13,597
12. Torry Holt 13,382
13. Steve Smith* 13,262
14. Andre Reed 13,198
15. Steve Largent 13,089
*active

Now, here’s what each of those top-15 leaders in receiving yardage did in their age 34 seasons:

1. Jerry Rice Receptions 108 Yards 1254
2. Terrell Owens 81 1355
3. Randy Moss DID NOT PLAY
4. Isaac Bruce 74 1098
5. Tim Brown 76 1128
6. Marvin Harrison 95 1366
7. Reggie Wayne* 106 1355
8. James Lofton 35 712
9. Cris Carter 90 1241
10. Henry Ellard 56 1005
11. Andre Johnson* ? ?
12. Torry Holt Retired
13. Steve Smith* 64 745 age 34 79 1065 age 35
14. Andre Reed 63 795
15. Steve Largent 39 645

Nine of those 14 other receivers posted 1,000 yard seasons at age 34, and Steve Smith did it at age 35. The three that didn’t (Lofton, Reed, Largent) played in an era where passing wasn’t as prominent, while Holt and Moss did not play their age 34 seasons.

Link

Now for sale on NFL Shop..... this saddens me. :(

thumb2w.jpg

Looks like I picked the right time to ditch cable TV. NFLN is going to go crazy with the Johnson love now that he's in Indy. Every completed pass from Luck to Johnson will be showed repeatedly. The only screen time the Texans will get now is when the other team is scoring on them.

Looks like I picked the right time to ditch cable TV. NFLN is going to go crazy with the Johnson love now that he's in Indy. Every completed pass from Luck to Johnson will be showed repeatedly. The only screen time the Texans will get now is when the other team is scoring on them.

Yup, they're all over the Colts' moves:

With that qualifier in place, let's take a look at six quarterbacks that we believe won big thanks to some aggressive moves from their respective front offices.

Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts

Welcome to The Year Of Luck. The Colts quarterback is a once-in-a-generation talent who should be just entering his prime at 25 years old. The Colts are well set up, in other words, and they did a nice job supplying their star passer with two veterans who can take the offense to the next level. Frank Gore will give Luck something he's never had -- a durable and productive backfield option who knows how to pass protect. Andre Johnson -- who seems destined for the Steve Smith Revenge Year® -- will line up across from T.Y. Hilton in Reggie Wayne's old role. There will be points.

Link

Winners

Colts: We knew GM Ryan Grigson would be aggressive, but we didn't know where the money would go. Frank Gore, Andre Johnson and Trent Cole are three of our favorite players on the other side of 30. Johnson fits perfectly opposite T.Y. Hilton. Gore is among the most complete backs in the league with the power and passing down ability the Colts need. This is not a complete Colts team yet, but they are going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Link

RANK 4 COLTS

Man, if they were getting the 2009 versions of their free-agent signees, the Colts would be going 15-1. Of course, even if they aren't exactly in their prime, Frank Gore, Andre Johnson and Trent Cole should all help the team immensely. Let's make sure they have warm sweaters -- and pay no mind if they nap on the sideline. Actually, I'm all for signing older vets if they fill needs. The key here will be whether or not these guys can give GM Ryan Grigson full ROI, as in, a complete slate of games. That's the key with an older team. Gore will rush for around 800 yards and five touchdowns this year, which should be enough.

Link

As a Texan fan and Andre Johnson fan, I never would have imagined that this would happen.
:cry2:

My Patriots friends are saying the same thing about Vince Wilfork.

At least A.J. can use the reasoning of wanting a ring. Vince already has two of them and just wants to get paid (and nothing wrong with that from our POV, but...yeah....)

I think the biggest mindfunk was believing that A.J. would be a Texan the way Ray Lewis was a Raven his entire career. The rings play a big part of that, though, because A.J. has played 12 seasons and only two of those had postseasons. Ray Lewis, on the other hand, probably only had two seasons that he didn't go to the playoffs.

I'm honestly over it, but I'm still going to have fun with it as a fan. :fingergun:

My Patriots friends are saying the same thing about Vince Wilfork.

At least A.J. can use the reasoning of wanting a ring. Vince already has two of them and just wants to get paid (and nothing wrong with that from our POV, but...yeah....)

I think the biggest mindfunk was believing that A.J. would be a Texan the way Ray Lewis was a Raven his entire career. The rings play a big part of that, though, because A.J. has played 12 seasons and only two of those had postseasons. Ray Lewis, on the other hand, probably only had two seasons that he didn't go to the playoffs.

I'm honestly over it, but I'm still going to have fun with it as a fan. :fingergun:

I'm over it, too. Really just took me a couple of day. It was hard to see AJ go to the enemy, but I'm choosing to be excited and hopeful about the Texans than being worried about what the dolts are going to do.

Looks like I picked the right time to ditch cable TV. NFLN is going to go crazy with the Johnson love now that he's in Indy. Every completed pass from Luck to Johnson will be showed repeatedly...

Meh, let him have his fun. Hope it secures the HOF for him.

As long as we take two from the Colts, I'm good.

I'll be happy when he's looking at the scoreboard knowing once again he's on the outside looking in while the Texans grab the division and the spotlight

I'll be happy when he's looking at the scoreboard knowing once again he's on the outside looking in while the Texans grab the division and the spotlight

Yeah. This entire episode made me desire the Texans first sweep of the Colts like I've never wanted it before. It's almost a must-have this year. I need to see this defense putting a serious hurt on Andrew Luck and the Colts offense in general.

Not a Swag fan at all but I need him to do his thing this year in those two games. "Have at it pal, now's you're time!"

That Johnson jersey pic literally arouses no emotion in me. Probably because the name Johnson could basically be anyone. If he had a more unique name, I'm sure the initial feeling after viewing that pic would be different. Weird little mind trick, I guess.

That Johnson jersey pic literally arouses no emotion in me. Probably because the name Johnson could basically be anyone. If he had a more unique name, I'm sure the initial feeling after viewing that pic would be different. Weird little mind trick, I guess.

You mean like A. Johnson? That's what he wore here.

I know. It's just weird to see like "Johnson 81." Like, okay sure. If it said "A. Johnson" it would suck more lol.

It's funny... usually when two or more players on the same team share a last name they denote the difference bu adding the first letter of the first name.

Even last year, Steve Smith had Sr. on his jersey to distinguish himself from the other receiver named Smith.

I don't remember Aj ever doing such.

It's funny... usually when two or more players on the same team share a last name they denote the difference bu adding the first letter of the first name.

Even last year, Steve Smith had Sr. on his jersey to distinguish himself from the other receiver named Smith.

I don't remember Aj ever doing such.

Really?

[IMGwidthsize=300]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-K2Ca3VZNDzU/TzyFJITjTjI/AAAAAAAATnA/88yVwjMgR0A/s1600/andre-johnson-wall-02.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=300]http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608046977385565016&pid=1.7[/IMG]

IIRC they added the A in 2005 when Travis was drafted.

This. It would suck for him, but I cannot feel sorry for a another team's player.

The team loyalty vs. player loyalty conversation on Facebook has been interesting. I was told on FB that I'm not a true Texans fan because I'm not rooting for A.J. to get a ring in Indy. I haven't been able to figure out that particular kind of logic, or even how that makes any kind of sense.

This. It would suck for him, but I cannot feel sorry for a another team's player.

The team loyalty vs. player loyalty conversation on Facebook has been interesting. I was told on FB that I'm not a true Texans fan because I'm not rooting for A.J. to get a ring in Indy. I haven't been able to figure out that particular kind of logic, or even how that makes any kind of sense.

To me that would be like rooting for the Titans in the Super Bowl and I couldn't do that. I wanted St. Louis to just completely crap all over them and when Dyson came up a yard short I broke out in a big ol' grin even though I knew Bruce Matthews just lost his only chance to get a ring and I'm a huge Bruce Matthews fan.

It was just more important to me that my mortal enemies lose than it was that the handful of guys I liked succeed. I can't get behind any situation that doesn't leave Clots fans crying. All I want for Christmas is them at home trying to figure out what happened to their season. I like Andre Johnson but his professional happiness is no longer my concern. He plays for another team (and has horns/turned evil).

Reactions: TD

I like Andre Johnson, but in no way I'm rooting for the Colts to even sniff the playoffs ever.

As a Texan fan, I'm always rooting for the Colts to go 0-16 every year. :texflag:

Really?

[IMGwidthsize=300]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-K2Ca3VZNDzU/TzyFJITjTjI/AAAAAAAATnA/88yVwjMgR0A/s1600/andre-johnson-wall-02.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=300]http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608046977385565016&pid=1.7[/IMG]

IIRC they added the A in 2005 when Travis was drafted.

I should have added I wouldn't remember my name if my mom didn't beat it into me as a kid.

did he have A.Johnson on his jersey this year when we had a second receiver named Johnson?

I like Andre Johnson, but in no way I'm rooting for the Colts to even sniff the playoffs ever.

As a Texan fan, I'm always rooting for the Colts to go 0-16 every year. :texflag:

AJ aside, that's not what I want with a rival at all. I want them to go 14-2 in the regular season, end up paired against us in the AFC Championship game and then beat the crap out of them head to head.

I should have added I wouldn't remember my name if my mom didn't beat it into me as a kid.

did he have A.Johnson on his jersey this year when we had a second receiver named Johnson?

Yes he had it last season. IIRC he has had the A ever since Travis.

I root for Texans only. I don't care if any other team wins a game or not, regardless who they are playing.

That said, I do enjoy watching several players play this game I love so much. The great ones make this game what it is. So I'll continue to watch Andre do what he do, regardless the team he is on.

probably not going to happen... but we can hope eh?

Nothing the Colts have done... as long as we've been a team, has prevented us from winning 12 games. We do that, we'll win the division.

What I want more than the Colts going 0-16 is for us to nock them out of the playoffs @LucasOil.

LOL, I think the perfect Texans season would be to beat the Colts in the AFC Championship game and then go on to blow out the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

:fans:

We need to play 2 FS against the colts to cover both Hilton and AJ. We also need an OLB with some speed to keep up with Fleener.

That is if we are trying to win this year. If not then go ahead and stick Swag out there have Cushing drop in coverage.

We will, prob be in nickel coverage at all times and hope our d line can stop the run without help

Bob McNair on Andre Johnson: Athletes never want to acknowledge losing a step

Houston Texans owner Bob McNair wasn't surprised Andre Johnson bristled at the idea of a reduced role next season. It's just human nature, McNair told me this week at the league's owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore.

"Every athlete I think would like to play forever," McNair said when I asked if he was surprised to hear Johnson felt even before last season that he would be gone from the Texans after 2014. "They never want to acknowledge that they’ve lost a step or they can’t quite do what they did before. Just look at history. Look at all the players. It just happens time and time again. We don’t like to acknowledge that we’re getting older. None of us do. That’s just human nature, and I don’t think that’s going to change. ... They’re used to being a star and they’d like to continue being a star. I don’t blame 'em, I understand that."

Until now, there hasn't really been a public acknowledgment by the organization of the belief that Johnson had lost a step.

--------------------------------------------

Though I didn't quite phrase the question this way, McNair disagreed with any characterization that the Texans did anything other than honor Johnson's wishes this offseason.

"No, he had the opportunity to stay, but his role was changing," McNair said. "As a player gets older, that’s what happens. He wasn’t interested in the role that he thought was available and he wanted to pursue a role with another team so we honored his request."

Though the end was ugly for the Texans and Johnson, he's still the most iconic offensive player the franchise has ever had.

"I think when he’s ready to retire, we would love to honor him and give him an adequate ceremony recognizing what he’s done," McNair said. "And we’ll look forward to that."

Source

I'm not going to be shocked when A.J. torches the Texans defense twice next season.

Either that, or McNair's words will be vindicated and we will see a noticable decline in A.J.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was one, my money would be on the former.

And this is the so-called "bulletin board material" that will certainly help to fuel Andre's fire.

LoL McNair. What are you doing?

They hasn't had a real qb most of his career. He stuck it out here for as long as he could. Now you are going to talk about the guys ability?

I don't do hero worship. I don't even wear players jerseys. Hell the most I'll tend to do is wear some team colors and maybe a shirt or hat or accessories. I don't know Andre the person and really I don't care enough about him to hope he wins a ring even slightly. But I do know he was a damn great player here and he's still really good. And now he has a qb that if he's not elite he's close and he definitely has elite traits.

I'd be surprised if Andre (if he stays healthy) didn't have a big year next year and actually makes luck better.

Back