Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

I'm not going to be shocked when A.J. torches the Texans defense twice next season.

Either that, or McNair's words will be vindicated and we will see a noticable decline in A.J.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was one, my money would be on the former.

And this is the so-called "bulletin board material" that will certainly help to fuel Andre's fire.

I agree with all this, but to be honest, AJ has lost a step or more...

Don't mean he's not still a very very good wr, and I think he makes up for it in different ways

Don't mean he's not still a very very good wr, and I think he makes up for it in different ways

I think folks get way too hung up on speed, but that's my opinion.

AJ 3 or 4 steps slower is as fast as Rice started out - 4.71 s 40.

Right... He's still going to be a productive player in 2015, I feel good about 2016 as well.

I don't get how we couldn't find a way to get his cap hit in the range of what the Colts have him at. $7.5M for 2015. $7.5M in 2016. $6M in 2017. There's no reason we couldn't have worked out a similar structure.

That's another thing. Andre Johnson is going to count $7.5M against their cap in 2015. He's going to count $7.3M against ours. But they're going to benefit from his 40+ catches & we aren't.

The genius Bruce Arians, coach of the year... he's taking an $11M cap hit for Fitzgerald who has not been as productive as Aj has the last three years. Lost a step my as

Right... He's still going to be a productive player in 2015, I feel good about 2016 as well.

I don't get how we couldn't find a way to get his cap hit in the range of what the Colts have him at. $7.5M for 2015. $7.5M in 2016. $6M in 2017. There's no reason we couldn't have worked out a similar structure.

That's another thing. Andre Johnson is going to count $7.5M against their cap in 2015. He's going to count $7.3M against ours. But they're going to benefit from his 40+ catches & we aren't.

The genius Bruce Arians, coach of the year... he's taking an $11M cap hit for Fitzgerald who has not been as productive as Aj has the last three years. Lost a step my as

McNair has stated that they were going to keep him so your argument is invalid IF you believe McNair.

"No, he had the opportunity to stay, but his role was changing," McNair said. "As a player gets older, that’s what happens. He wasn’t interested in the role that he thought was available and he wanted to pursue a role with another team so we honored his request."

2015 - $11 mil
2016 - $16 mil
2017 - $10 mil in dead money after he's gone.

They are paying a shitload for what he has left (less than AJ), experience/leadership and legacy.

McNair has stated that they were going to keep him so your argument is invalid IF you believe McNair.

If I see White or Parker wearing a Texans' jersey, I will give this more credit.

"No, he had the opportunity to stay, but his role was changing," McNair said. "As a player gets older, that’s what happens. He wasn’t interested in the role that he thought was available and he wanted to pursue a role with another team so we honored his request."

I still want to hear O'Brien's side of that conversation, but I know that we will probably never get it.

I'm curious if it was truly a perspective presented that A.J. is never starting again and 40 is on the high end of catches.

Or, was it a case where A.J. might not start in some games that are using a 1 WR set based on the opponent's defense, and 40 was a number on the low end of a range of 40 to 70 catches?

Maybe the 'conversation' was a way to let A.J. out (since he did not want to be here in 2014) while letting the Texans off the hook at the same time? Maybe the conversation is a smoke screen for both A.J. and the Texans because A.J. was tired of waiting for a QB. Just speculating.

I feel like we are not being given a full picture. When you consider the cap hit the Texans are absorbing, what the Colts are paying him, and the production and leadership that he offers a team, something is just not feeling right.

I still want to hear O'Brien's side of that conversation, but I know that we will probably never get it.

I'm curious if it was truly a perspective presented that A.J. is never starting again and 40 is on the high end of catches.

Or, was it a case where A.J. might not start in some games that are using a 1 WR set based on the opponent's defense, and 40 was a number on the low end of a range of 40 to 70 catches?

Maybe the 'conversation' was a way to let A.J. out (since he did not want to be here in 2014) while letting the Texans off the hook at the same time? Maybe the conversation is a smoke screen for both A.J. and the Texans because A.J. was tired of waiting for a QB. Just speculating.

I feel like we are not being given a full picture. When you consider the cap hit the Texans are absorbing, what the Colts are paying him, and the production and leadership that he offers a team, something is just not feeling right.

Totally agree, especially with the bolded

Nice to see McNair on NFL.com telling the world that AJ's lost a step and just doesn't want to admit it.

I wonder if the stupid son of a ***** knows that he's doing everything possible to setup up AJ for a 10 catch, 200 yard day the next time he sees him? Some days I think Bob McNair is the slowest learner I've ever seen".

Cal might be closer to taking over the team than we realize.

I do not perceive this statement from Bob as being a carefully orchestrated release of information in order to advance a degree of an overall agenda designed to improve the team. It very well could be what my mom calls a "senior moment". You simply do not bait a HoF talent who already has a chip on his shoulder. A.J. blowing up against the Texans twice next year should be expected even more now.

McNair really just needs to keep his remarks simple. "We are excited about our chances this year." "Andre was a great player for us, we wish him the best." When he tries to elaborate, he fails every time.

What is he hoping to accomplish with these remarks?

McNair really just needs to keep his remarks simple. "We are excited about our chances this year." "Andre was a great player for us, we wish him the best." When he tries to elaborate, he fails every time.

What is he hoping to accomplish with these remarks?

He's trying to be honest, forthright, and transparent? I guess.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine. Some fans think that they're owed some sort of view into the minds of the people who are running these teams, some clue as to what the coaches, GMs, scouts, and owners feel, what they want to do, how they want to do it. They want all these people, including the medical staff, to spill their guts about everything.

The problem with that is you get crap like this where someone high up is creating locker-room material for the players or worse, you get someone actually tipping their hands on what they're planning on doing.

I want my FO to be like a military operation. The only information coming out should be dis- and mis- information. No one should be freely handing out any tidbit of information that could be taken, analyzed, and used against us.

If Andre Johnson has lost a step -- as Texans owner Bob McNair intimated last week -- the wide receiver's new coach hasn't seen it on game film.

"You don't see a huge drop-off numbers-wise," coach Chuck Pagano said, via ESPN.com's Mike Wells. "Maybe in touchdowns. But you still see a guy who is more than capable of stretching the defense. Certainly somebody who an opponent can't just line up and say, 'Don't worry about Andre Johnson.'"

If defenses still opt to send extra coverage toward T.Y. Hilton, Pagano expects Johnson to take advantage as a "big, possession type guy" on the underneath routes that an injury-ravaged Reggie Wayne couldn't convert in the second half of last season.

"He's a big body guy that can still separate, create separation," Pagano continued. "He's got a big catch radius. But again, the contested catches that you see on tape. It's very difficult to match up."

Pagano was even more effusive at the NFL Annual Meeting last week, telling reporters that he saw a "dominant guy" and a "force to be reckoned with" on Johnson's 2014 tape.

"You need to do everything you can," Pagano added, "to make sure he doesn't wreck the game."

Link

Now set to catch passes from the best quarterback of his illustrious 13-year career, Johnson is a lead-pipe lock for 90 receptions and 1,000 yards if he stays healthy.

Booya. I hope he does it and makes McNair look like an old fool.

And I hope the Colts go 0-16 while he does it. (Sorry, A.J., but screw Indy.)

Booya. I hope he does it and makes McNair look like an old fool.

And I hope the Colts go 0-16 while he does it. (Sorry, A.J., but screw Indy.)

AJ still has plenty left in the tank, but on a team with T.Y. Hilton, Coby Fleener, and Dwayne Allen, I'm not going along with the lead pipe cinch thing - even if he is healthy.

AJ still has plenty left in the tank, but on a team with T.Y. Hilton, Coby Fleener, and Dwayne Allen, I'm not going along with the lead pipe cinch thing - even if he is healthy.

Gotta think in terms of Luck instead of the Texans. Luck was on pace for 5500 yds through week 9 last season until Wayne got nicked (and he was on pace for 1200 yds). There's a lot more balls and yards to go around over there.

He can wear their rockin' new uniforms! :kitten: Link

All white??? Those things are fugly.

colts-jersey-040115-ftr-coltsjpg_hj6tmuqkymr615qg4khye08ft.jpg

True, but teams cannot double everyone.

Last edited:
All white??? Those things are fugly.

colts-jersey-040115-ftr-coltsjpg_hj6tmuqkymr615qg4khye08ft.jpg

True, but teams cannot double everyone.

Think you quoted the wrong post, but yeah; yeah they are.

AJ is gonna have a monster year... hopefully it will be while the colts go 4-12

Their wins being sweeps of the tinnbreds and the jaquars

(i don't want them getting another first pick)

Texans reporter Ganguli reporting on Colts' AJ.

Andre Johnson can't wait to get going with the Colts
Tania Ganguli, ESPN Houston Texans reporter

HOUSTON -- Honored at a gala for the Houston Area Women's Center, Andre Johnson was days away from the start of the next chapter of his NFL career.

And he couldn't wait.

"I’m excited about it," Johnson said. "I’ll actually be heading to Indy tomorrow. I’m excited about the opportunity. Can’t wait to get it going. It’ll be different, but at the same time, still football. I’ll go in, just learn what I need to learn, learn my new teammates and try to fit in and help win games."

Johnson spent the first 12 seasons of his career with the Houston Texans, as the second first-round pick in franchise history. During his tenure he became the franchise's leading receiver and one of the best receivers in NFL history. He knew, even as he went through last season, that his future with the Texans was tenuous. For one thing, he was scheduled to account for $16.1 million of the Texans' salary cap next season.

For another, the Texans coaching staff believed his ability had declined. They offered him a more limited role in this year's offense. Rather than accept that, Johnson eventually asked for his release. In turn, he signed with the Indianapolis Colts, the Texans' biggest rival and divisional nemesis.

"Everybody thinks I went to the Colts to try to get back at the Texans, and stuff like that," Johnson said. "That had nothing to do with it. I just went to the best place where I felt that was the best fit for me where I can have the best chance to win a championship. It wasn’t about circling dates or nothing against the Texans. I had 12 great years here."

Johnson was active in the Houston community during his time with the Texans, and has remained so even after departing the franchise. Though he spent most of the offseason working out in Miami, where he was raised, Johnson often refers to Houston as his home.

Johnson skipped last year's offseason program, hoping to get assurances about his future with the Texans. He received public and private declarations that the Texans wanted him to retire with the franchise and returned for training camp.

But he's with Indianapolis instead, and will be there for a program that begins Monday.

"It’ll be different," he said. "But at the same time it’s a new opportunity and I’m going to take full advantage of it."

First great player in Texans history. Been with the franchise almost since inception. And we couldn't make it work.

They better win

In the end, though, Hilton will get his contract, and it will be from the Colts, while Dorsett competes with Moncrief for the 3rd receiver spot now, and the eventual replacement for Andre Johnson.

Link

That Luck dude sure does have to put up with shitty receivers. I mean really, AJ a #2 over a 1st rounder. Dude is way too slow to be a viable NFL WR at his age.

With Colts, Andre Johnson rediscovering love for the game

He walked off the field at NRG Stadium after last season's finale — a game in which he caught 10 passes for 134 yards and a touchdown, a vintage Johnson performance — yet nonetheless knew his fate... Johnson made his way around the locker room that afternoon, pulling aside close friends — running back Arian Foster, receiver DeAndre Hopkins — to break the news. He wouldn't be back. This was goodbye.
"Everyone saw the frustration the last few years," Johnson admits. "Not only in me, but in my play on the field."
"This decision has absolutely nothing to do with the Texans," Johnson says sternly.

“This decision has everything to do with winning a Super Bowl.”..."He's probably the best quarterback I've ever played with," Johnson said of Andrew Luck.

"I think they wanted to go in a different direction and just didn't know how to tell me," says Johnson, one of the newest Indianapolis Colts. "Deciding who was going to start six months before the season? I've never heard of that in my life. And I caught 85 balls last year. It didn't add up. Don't tell me what my role is going to be when we haven't even started workouts."

Yup - bizarre still.

Yup - bizarre still.

I agree. Still weird he's not here, but obviously the writing was on the wall long before I read it.

"He's probably the best quarterback I've ever played with," Johnson said of Andrew Luck.

A.J. is such a nice guy. There is no "probably" about it.

Makes you wonder why they aren't as decisive on other decisions, like QB.

They took their time determining how AJ would fit within the teams' plans... an entire regular season. Also, the salary cap created the urgency. That is what happens when one player is consuming over 10% of the team's cap. QB is, essentially, the opposite situation. Since Mallett and Savage's combined cap hit is less than $5 million each of the next 2 years, they had the luxury to spend for a quality veteran backup/competitor.

There is no doubt in my mind that AJ would still be a Texan if his cap hit was anywhere in the ballpark of what INDY will be paying him the next three years.

There is no doubt in my mind that AJ would still be a Texan if his cap hit was anywhere in the ballpark of what INDY will be paying him the next three years.

Given how it went down, there is zero doubt in my mind OB got exactly the result he wanted - AJ gone.

Had we approached Andre about a three year extension.... if we weren't sitting on $8M of cap space with Jjo still accounting for $12M... I'd be inclined to share your conviction.

Yup, they're really going to wear white on white uniforms with white helmets and white numbers ... and the league is switching to rocks for footballs, you know, so as to prevent any future deflating ...

Srsly.
You would think the league would make them put some kind of outline around the numbers. The one player even said in that video, that the referees would have a hard time seeing their numbers.

They're not real - it was an April Fools joke by the Colts.
So much for your boys in blue. Well, maybe.

On Wednesday, the Colts unveiled new all-white uniforms for 2015.

Yup, all-white. Not just white tops and white pants, but white everything. White numbers. White helmets. White decals. All white. It's like a Miami beach party.

Now, before you get too excited. Remember, it's April 1st. Therefore April Fools' Day. So we're betting the folks over at the 56th Street complex are just having a little fun with all of us.

Yep, it was April Fools
:D
link

Had we approached Andre about a three year extension.... if we weren't sitting on $8M of cap space with Jjo still accounting for $12M... I'd be inclined to share your conviction.

If you mean that they should have tried to add 3 years to his current deal- and pay him a contract for the next 5 years, I think that would be foolish.

If you mean add a 3rd year to his deal, there was no way to do reduce his cap hit that much unless he took a major reduction in pay... like pay for free. His cap hit was over $16 million for 2015, and again for 2016... even if you added a year to that and spread it out, his cap hit would still be over $10 million each of those 3 years... Cutting AJ this year was mostly about the $17 million in cap savings for 2016.

Back