Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2016 Free agent targets

I, for one, am not saying Hopkins is not a game breaker. I want to improve our big play capability by adding a second elite receiver with a different skill set - 4.3 speed.

How many elite WR's run a 4.3? Here's the list of 4.3 guys over the last 10 years. How many are elite?

4.27 - Marquise Goodwin
4.28 - Jacoby Ford
4.28 - J.J. Nelson
4.30 - Yamon Figurs
4.30 - Darrius Heyward-Bey
4.32 - Jason Hill
4.32 - Chad Jackson
4.33 - Brandin Cooks
4.33 - Phillip Dorsett
4.33 - Mike Wallace
4.34 - Tavon Austin
4.34 - John Brown
4.34 - Johnny Knox
4.34 - Willie Reid
4.34 - Ryan Swope
4.35 - Devin Aromashodu
4.35 - Chris Conley
4.35 - DeSean Jackson
4.35 - Calvin Johnson
4.35 - Mike Walker
4.35 - Kevin White
4.36 - Travis Benjamin
4.36 - David Clowney
4.36 - Stephen Hill
4.36 - Chris Owusu
4.37 - Andre Caldwell
4.37 - Will Franklin
4.37 - Edmond Gates
4.37 - Dexter Jackson
4.37 - Ricardo Lockette
4.38 - Josh Boyce
4.38 - Deon Butler
4.38 - Sinorice Moss
4.38 - Laurent Robinson
4.38 - Kenny Stills
4.39 - Aundrae Allison
4.39 - A.J. Jenkins
4.39 - Julio Jones
4.39 - Robert Meachem
4.39 - Eddie Royal
4.39 - Devon Wylie

Yards per Target
DeAndre Hopkins - 8.6
Torrey Smith - 8.6
John Brown - 8.4
Ted Ginn - 7.0

Yards per Game
Hopkins - 73.6
Brown - 54.8
Smith - 53.2
Ginn - 26.2

TD's per Season
Smith - 6.8
Hopkins - 6.3
Brown - 6.0
Ginn - 2.3

2015 Games with a 40+ Yard Reception
Brown - 5
Smith - 4
Ginn - 3
Hopkins - 3

2015 Games with 100+ Receiving Yards
Hopkins - 6
Brown - 2
Ginn - 1
Smith - 1

Explain how those guys are gamebreakers but Hopkins is not.

Hopkins is a gamebreaker. But for this offense to really open up their needs to be speed opposite him. Or a TE like Gronk that can get vertical down the seam. Why do you think BOB has been checking out all of the fast guys this yr?

I find it interesting that Arians brought in Brown and Nelson to supplement Fitz/Floyd. Arians has also called this the slowest WR class in 20 yrs. So if you want a fast guy you better take one early. I have a feeling the Cards wont be drafting a WR in this draft. LOL

Foster is scheduled to visit the Dolphins Tuesday............trading places?............if so, we will have gotten the better deal from all angles.

Hopkins is a gamebreaker. But for this offense to really open up their needs to be speed opposite him. Or a TE like Gronk that can get vertical down the seam. Why do you think BOB has been checking out all of the fast guys this yr?

I find it interesting that Arians brought in Brown and Nelson to supplement Fitz/Floyd. Arians has also called this the slowest WR class in 20 yrs. So if you want a fast guy you better take one early. I have a feeling the Cards wont be drafting a WR in this draft. LOL

For the offense to really open up they need a competent QB. QB play has been what has held this offense back, not speed. Speed is an asset (an asset that we both agree this team needs more of) but QB play has been the main issue. That's not even debatable, IMO.

Also, Brown was an excellent WR at Pittsburg State. Just like Hilton was an excellent WR at Florida International. Those are both excellent WR's who catch the ball, run great routes, and are very fast. I'm down all day every day for guys like that because they are great WR's first. Their speed is an asset but their game is not entirely built around that speed. It would be a useless asset if they weren't so good with the fundamentals at their position.

Nelson was a 5th round compensation pick. I'm 100% down with that. He was 7th on Arizona in targets last year. They drafted him late to develop him. That's entirely different than drafting a 1st/2nd round guy because he is fast. That's how you end up with Paul Richardson instead of John Brown or A.J. Jenkins instead of TY Hilton.

BOB specifically worked out Corey Coleman on his routes because that is the question with him. If he can run routes then he can be the next Brown, Hilton, etc. If he can't run routes then he will be the next Richardson, Jenkins, Heyward-Bey, etc. Do you see where I'm going? I want speed but the guy still has to play be able to play football. This isn't a track meet.

For the offense to really open up they need a competent QB. QB play has been what has held this offense back, not speed. Speed is an asset (an asset that we both agree this team needs more of) but QB play has been the main issue. That's not even debatable, IMO.

Also, Brown was an excellent WR at Pittsburg State. Just like Hilton was an excellent WR at Florida International. Those are both excellent WR's who catch the ball, run great routes, and are very fast. I'm down all day every day for guys like that because they are great WR's first. Their speed is an asset but their game is not entirely built around that speed. It would be a useless asset if they weren't so good with the fundamentals at their position.

Nelson was a 5th round compensation pick. I'm 100% down with that. He was 7th on Arizona in targets last year. They drafted him late to develop him. That's entirely different than drafting a 1st/2nd round guy because he is fast. That's how you end up with Paul Richardson instead of John Brown or A.J. Jenkins instead of TY Hilton.

BOB specifically worked out Corey Coleman on his routes because that is the question with him. If he can run routes then he can be the next Brown, Hilton, etc. If he can't run routes then he will be the next Richardson, Jenkins, Heyward-Bey, etc. Do you see where I'm going? I want speed but the guy still has to play be able to play football. This isn't a track meet.

Agreed, especially with the QB.

I also agree with speed and being able to run routes if you're going to spend a 1st/2nd rd pick. I do believe in taking fast guys at all positions late in the draft and teaching them. If you pick speed in rds 5-7 every yr the odds are that you will hit on one of these picks and get great value. For instance guys I would look at this yr in rds 5-7 Keith Marshall/Jakeem Grant/Stephen Membot. All have special physical gifts and even if they dont become impact players they will help improve ST's. Akeem Hunt who many wanted drafted (In the draft section) is an example of what I'm talking about.

Good info thanks Doc. As for speed in WR I am a solid proponent but it is not the only way to get relief for Hopkins. The fear of completed pass on other side is more important. Docston, Coleman, Fuller and perhaps Charone Peake will offer both speed and catch ability. The good news is we should be able to draft at least two if team wants to. We need to give Osweiler as many targets and protection as possible. What surprises me is having the opportunity to fill needs in this off season.

I occasionally find myself breaking into my happy dance

How many elite WR's run a 4.3? Here's the list of 4.3 guys over the last 10 years. How many are elite?

4.27 - Marquise Goodwin
4.28 - Jacoby Ford
4.28 - J.J. Nelson
4.30 - Yamon Figurs
4.32 - Jason Hill
4.32 - Chad Jackson
4.33 - Brandin Cooks
4.33 - Phillip Dorsett
4.33 - Mike Wallace
4.34 - Tavon Austin
4.34 - John Brown
4.34 - Johnny Knox
4.34 - Willie Reid
4.34 - Ryan Swope
4.35 - Devin Aromashodu
4.35 - Chris Conley
4.35 - DeSean Jackson
4.35 - Calvin Johnson
4.35 - Mike Walker
4.35 - Kevin White
4.36 - Travis Benjamin
4.36 - David Clowney
4.36 - Stephen Hill
4.36 - Chris Owusu
4.37 - Andre Caldwell
4.37 - Will Franklin
4.37 - Edmond Gates
4.37 - Dexter Jackson
4.37 - Ricardo Lockette
4.38 - Josh Boyce
4.38 - Deon Butler
4.38 - Sinorice Moss
4.38 - Laurent Robinson
4.38 - Kenny Stills
4.39 - Aundrae Allison
4.39 - A.J. Jenkins
4.39 - Julio Jones
4.39 - Robert Meachem
4.39 - Eddie Royal
4.39 - Devon Wylie
I was so very wrong about Stephen Hill. SMDH
The bolded are the only elite 4.3 WR that I see.

4.27 - Marquise Goodwin
4.28 - Jacoby Ford
4.28 - J.J. Nelson
4.30 - Yamon Figurs
4.32 - Jason Hill
4.32 - Chad Jackson
4.33 - Brandin Cooks
4.33 - Phillip Dorsett
4.33 - Mike Wallace
4.34 - Tavon Austin
4.34 - John Brown
4.34 - Johnny Knox
4.34 - Willie Reid
4.34 - Ryan Swope
4.35 - Devin Aromashodu
4.35 - Chris Conley
4.35 - DeSean Jackson
4.35 - Calvin Johnson
4.35 - Mike Walker
4.35 - Kevin White
4.36 - Travis Benjamin
4.36 - David Clowney
4.36 - Stephen Hill
4.36 - Chris Owusu
4.37 - Andre Caldwell
4.37 - Will Franklin
4.37 - Edmond Gates
4.37 - Dexter Jackson
4.37 - Ricardo Lockette
4.38 - Josh Boyce
4.38 - Deon Butler
4.38 - Sinorice Moss
4.38 - Laurent Robinson
4.38 - Kenny Stills
4.39 - Aundrae Allison
4.39 - A.J. Jenkins
4.39 - Julio Jones
4.39 - Robert Meachem
4.39 - Eddie Royal
4.39 - Devon Wylie
You make a good point. The only ones I recognize as outstanding are Jordy Nelson and Mike Wallace.

4.27 - Marquise Goodwin
4.28 - Jacoby Ford
4.28 - J.J. Nelson
4.30 - Yamon Figurs
4.32 - Jason Hill
4.32 - Chad Jackson
4.33 - Brandin Cooks
4.33 - Phillip Dorsett
4.33 - Mike Wallace
4.34 - Tavon Austin
4.34 - John Brown
4.34 - Johnny Knox
4.34 - Willie Reid
4.34 - Ryan Swope
4.35 - Devin Aromashodu
4.35 - Chris Conley
4.35 - DeSean Jackson
4.35 - Calvin Johnson
4.35 - Mike Walker
4.35 - Kevin White
4.36 - Travis Benjamin
4.36 - David Clowney
4.36 - Stephen Hill
4.36 - Chris Owusu
4.37 - Andre Caldwell
4.37 - Will Franklin
4.37 - Edmond Gates
4.37 - Dexter Jackson
4.37 - Ricardo Lockette
4.38 - Josh Boyce
4.38 - Deon Butler
4.38 - Sinorice Moss
4.38 - Laurent Robinson
4.38 - Kenny Stills
4.39 - Aundrae Allison
4.39 - A.J. Jenkins
4.39 - Julio Jones
4.39 - Robert Meachem
4.39 - Eddie Royal
4.39 - Devon Wylie
I was so very wrong about Stephen Hill. SMDH
The bolded are the only elite 4.3 WR that I see.
You make a good point. The only ones I recognize as outstanding are Jordy Nelson and Mike Wallace.
You remind me of that old joke about being a long time caller and first time listener. Ha!!

I'm basing this next statement on biased opinion due to having watching football for a few years.

My problem with getting a true elite speed burner at WR is more often than not they have issues with hands, ball security, and consistent minor injuries (ankle sprains in particular)

Isn't he literally injured all the time?
And last year, he had significant ongoing problems with his hip and BOTH of his knees. Due to the nature of all of his previous lower limb injuries, his mechanics can't help but be totally screwed up. He could have actually been placed on IR for any of one these 3 injuries........each significantly contributing to his poor performance. He was officially placed on IR for "hip," but immediately upon designation underwent knee surgery. I would consider him a "Dead Man NOT Walking" WR.

So any FA TEs, ILBs or DEs left? Or will we wait until the cuts come?

They will probably wait until they get the guys they already have in camp to see what they have. Similar to when we re-signed Quentin Demps in training camp because the team identified a need at the safety position.

Eagles safety Walter Thurmond
Redskins safety Dashon Goldson
Both still out there.
Are these guys worth a look?
1 year deal maybe.

I'd take a run at Thurmond. I think his skill set fits in well here as a combo-Safety much like Hal. However, last I heard he was contemplating retirement and has allegedly turned down offers to play this year.

As for Goldson, he's been one of the worst Safeties in the league since he left SF. 2 teams have now dumped him in the last 2 years. I wouldn't even bother with him.

The party's back on at Antonio's house.

Boooooooooo.

I'm curious to see if Smith has anything left. I'm sure he realizes that this is his one and only shot at a longer career (whether he wants that or not I don't know) or going out on a high note, so my expectations of the ninja are pretty high. Frankly I think he fits the system better than Watt. Smith played better within the system - still a penetrator, but able to do so in his gap as well as occupy multiple blockers. Watt had become a disproportionate part of the scheme IMO. 'Watt wants to go here, let Watt go there, let Watt guess because someone else will cover his gap, design this around Watt'. As I said after week 1, we needed LESS Watt. Not only was he obviously not healthy, he was hurting the defense. We've spent too much time making Watt the king of the world, and lost most of what made him great in the first place - he abused interior lineman with speed and hands and burst -- so we put him at 9 to inflate his stats? We had our best contain rusher (that had 12.5 sacks) relegated to 'spy' and running stunts inside with Clowney. I'm more interested in the Texans defense now than I was when the season began.

Why Smiff and not J. Pagan?

From the "guess I wasn't paying attention" files:
I didn't realize Smiff got himself a SuperbOwl ring with Denver last year.

Me and Mama where at the BestBuy at 99 and West Park Tollway 2 weeks ago looking at 3D Blu ray's when Ninja came walking down the aisle. He had all his kids with him looking for movies as well, I said whats up and gave him a fist bump, he treated me like an old friend asking me how things are going. I asked him how retirement was going and he said great, told him I enjoyed watching him play and thanked him. We went on about our way. The staff I talked to at Best Buy said he is in the store all the time.

Back