Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2016 Free agent targets

dang now I have to re-evaluate my 6th round pick.
We need a young kicker with a booming leg (one of these 20 or 21-year-old kids), who doesn't choke under pressure. Also one that doesn't miss the new extra point distance perhaps. Nick Novak turns 35 soon and was only a reasonable upgrade over Randy Bullock.

I was just texting my longtime childhood friend a few minutes ago, Justin Tucker, all pro kicker from the Ravens. Telling him how I wish he was back home and playing for the Texans. He laughed and replied back to me that you'll find a good kicker down there eventually. He said, "at least you have a quarterback now."

I wish we could go back in time to the 2012 NFL Draft and take him in the 7th, 6th, 5th even 4th round. He went undrafted. The Ravens signed him, where he has since won a Super Bowl and been named a first-team All Pro. He's still only 26 years old too. Easily has another ten or more years left in his NFL career.

The sixth-round is a good time to draft a kicker.
Especially when all you have is an aging stopgap.

Special teams is so critical. It's a shame the Texans often overlook it. Literally it can lead directly to wins and losses.

It's a shame we drafted Bullock in the 5th when Tucker was a UDFA that same draft class :(
Too much Texas A&M Aggie connections with Gary Kubiak the head coach at the time. The better kicker turned out to be the Longhorn stud, Westlake High School sensation. My aunt still teaches biology there. :cool:

Man guys, what the heck happened to him? I know he's 31 now but he fell off a cliff so fast. I remember when there was talk of possibly pairing him with Andre Johnson four or five years ago when he was still a 1,000 yard receiver with the Chiefs.

No such thing as Jerry Rice or Tim Brown in today's game.
Cleveland happened to him.
Steve smith????

Have we talked about Ryan Clady?

Broncos, Ryan Clady are currently at impasse

Yes, the decision to bring free-agent tackle Russell Okung in for a tire kicking may have a little to do with left tackle Ryan Clady. Or a lot to do with Clady.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Broncos and Clady are currently at impasse regarding his contract for 2016.

Clady is due to earn $9.5 million in 2016, the fourth year of a five-year contract signed after application of the franchise tag in 2013. So far, he has made $33 million but played in only 18 regular-season games.

Cutting him would cost only $1.2 million against the cap, and there’s no trigger that would force the Broncos to make a decision before Week One, when Clady’s salary becomes as a practical matter guaranteed. However, it would be prudent to resolve the situation before the start of the offseason program, since a fluke season-ending injury to Clady would put the Broncos on the hook for the full salary — and a cap number of $10.6 million.

Not likely to happen, but if he hits the market, do we take a looksee?

Clady is going to be 30 next year and has missed 30 games over the past 3 years.
Funny how the Broncos signed Okung in exchange for letting Clady go.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 2h2 hours ago

Okung has never played a full season in his career. Missed 24 regular season games since 2010. Just signed $10+ million APY for 4 years.

But this isn't actually was later reported as a 10.6 million per year 5 yr contract.............which still was misreported. His contract in fact is worth up to $53 million. He has a 1 year deal worth $5 million that includes a 4 year, $48 million option..............IF the Broncos choose to pick it up. With incentives, he can make up to $8 million this year.

Remember, the Broncos wanted to give Clady $9.6 million in February..............after he played only 2 games in 2013 after suffering a Lisfranc tear that required surgery. He came back in 2014, but did not look like Clady. Then in a 2015 OTA, he suffered an ACL rupture and missed the entire 2015 season. This latter injury was likely a compensatory injury from ongoing mechanics problems caused by his Lisfranc.

Looks much like a trade off for one wheel chair bound LT for another.

Maybe Elway figures he'll use Okung until he gets hurt, then slide Clady in when he gets hurt.

Maybe Elway figures he'll use Okung until he gets hurt, then slide Clady in when he gets hurt.
The Broncos are not going to keep both without significant down negotiation on the part of Clady............and Clady has already made it clear it ain't gonna happen. The Broncos will not have much bargaining chips with Clady's recent injuries and surgeries, esp., since you can assume that the most likely scenario is that the Broncos will be forced to release him anyway.

1st, I questioned why are we looking at a Safety coming off an Achilles tear.

I am told we're just looking under every rock & we prefer it that way.

I suggested it would have been nice to look under the Weddle rock. ObsiWan replied we probably didn't because...

So I challenge his original position preferring Rick do his due diligence looking under every stone.

It doesn't matter if the Texans did or did not contact Weddle, I'm questioning whether he wants Rick to be thorough or if he's allowed to selectively separate the wheat from the chaff.
When you asked me 'why not turn over the Weddle rock', my answer was "I thought about that too"; meaning I, myself, thought it would be a good idea to take a shot at bringing him here. Sorry if I failed to make myself clear.

Aldon Smith hasn't gotten an offer from a team yet. Let's sign him up. With him playing and his head straight, we would have a ferocious pass rush. It's worth the gamble on a cheap, 1 year prove it deal.

Aldon Smith hasn't gotten an offer from a team yet. Let's sign him up. With him playing and his head straight, we would have a ferocious pass rush. It's worth the gamble on a cheap, 1 year prove it deal.
I posted the same thing as well. Does he owe any suspension time?

one-year suspension

I posted the same thing as well. Does he owe any suspension time?

one-year suspension
Won't be off suspension until November.
The NFL confirmed to ESPN that Smith is free to sign right now, if anyone wants him. It’s unclear whether any team does want him. He wouldn’t be able to play until, at the earliest, Week 11.

It wasn’t long ago that Smith was considered perhaps the best young pass rusher in the NFL. In his rookie season in 2011 he had 14 sacks, and in his second season he had 19.5 sacks. But his off-field problems appear to have affected him on the field as well, as he had just 3.5 sacks in nine games for the Raiders last year, and just two sacks in seven games for the 49ers in 2014.

linK

And thanks to GoCoogs link I see that our answer at WR opposite Nuk is ready to sign....

Jabbar Gaffney is available!

Had no idea he'd fallen so far.

In Florida, having less than 20gms of weed is only a misdemeanor. Actually, Gaffney was charged with a misdemeanor marijuana count (6.5gms), a misdemeanor drug paraphernalia count, and a felony drug possession count (for a hard drug). Being the Mensa he is, the number of counts against him is probably higher than he can actually count to.:toropalm:

Reactions: ROO
In Florida, having less than 20gms of weed is only a misdemeanor. Actually, Gaffney was charged with a misdemeanor marijuana count (6.5gms), a misdemeanor drug paraphernalia count, and a felony drug possession count (for a hard drug). Being the Mensa he is, the number of counts against him is probably higher than he can actually count to.:toropalm:
We sure don't want anybody named 'Jabar'. Such a player has to be a trash-talkin', showboatin' lack of discipline who celebrates his individual success when he should be concerned with the team and keeping his mind in the game.

We sure don't want anybody named 'Jabar'. Such a player has to be a trash-talkin', showboatin' lack of discipline who celebrates his individual success when he should be concerned with the team and keeping his mind in the game.

Ugh, could you imagine if he had a REALLY ethnic name? Hakeem or something like that? I can't even imagine how terrible a person he would be.

I really love how lenient this place is but your ass should be gone for a comment like that, especially considering how little you bring to the table anyway.

Ugh, could you imagine if he had a REALLY ethnic name? Hakeem or something like that? I can't even imagine how terrible a person he would be.

I really love how lenient this place is but your ass should be gone for a comment like that, especially considering how little you bring to the table anyway.
For drawing a conclusion based on a weird name? Translation: You don't like me. I knew that already. I don't like you any better.

Excuse the stereotype but it must be accurate. They say he's got caught with pot and a hard drug.

Not the point and you should know it. Nor did you mention anything about drugs in your so called stereotypical post but instead said the he must be
a trash-talkin', showboatin' lack of discipline who celebrates his individual success when he should be concerned with the team
based on his name alone

Sometimes the name alone does give one pause. There is a draft eligible person named Jihad and the name alone makes one wonder how he was raised by people who would name their son that.

Not all suspicions are baseless. Just most of them.

Sometimes the name alone does give one pause. There is a draft eligible person named Jihad and the name alone makes one wonder how he was raised by people who would name their son that.

No. Most people would say that was an unfortunate name, not question if he was raised in a sleeper cell. Considering he was born in 1994, long before the average American was an expert on Muslims and Al-Queda. Considering that despite most Americans thinking they are experts on Islam, Jihad doesn't mean Holy War. Considering that one simply has to look at his school profile or his draft profile to know that he pronounces his name "juh-HODD" not "jee-HADD".

You make that conclusion based on a name? Racist much?
I am reminded of the Russian citizen who once said, "Why that underhanded, lying son of a horny toad...", and a KGB agent arrested him for talking that way about Stalin. The citizen protested, "I didn't say I was talking about Stalin." The agent replied, "No, but you described him beyond doubt."

You're the one saying trash-talkin' and showboatin' are racial characteristics. I didn't say that. I just said it's bad football. And you're calling me a racist? Hoo Brotherrrr!

I am reminded of the Russian citizen who once said, "Why that underhanded, lying son of a horny toad...", and a KGB agent arrested him for talking that way about Stalin. The citizen protested, "I didn't say I was talking about Stalin." The agent replied, "No, but you described him beyond doubt."

You're the one saying trash-talkin' and showboatin' are racial characteristics. I didn't say that. I just said it's bad football. And you're calling me a racist? Hoo Brotherrrr!

Ha! Too late to try to shift your idiocy on another.

No. Most people would say that was an unfortunate name, not question if he was raised in a sleeper cell. Considering he was born in 1994, long before the average American was an expert on Muslims and Al-Queda. Considering that despite most Americans thinking they are experts on Islam, Jihad doesn't mean Holy War. Considering that one simply has to look at his school profile or his draft profile to know that he pronounces his name "juh-HODD" not "jee-HADD".
Raising suspicions does not mean reaching conclusions. Political correctness throws out common sense. Investigate suspicions, don't assume you have an answer already. But don't ignore it out of fear.

Raising suspicions does not mean reaching conclusions. .

So in other words your post has nothing to do with the situation at hand since the poster in question has already reached the conclusion stage & it is that conclusion that is of discussion.

So in other words your post has nothing to do with the situation at hand since the poster in question has already reached the conclusion stage & it is that conclusion that is of discussion.
In other words is the discussion. Defining the terms is fundamental to the discussion.

An Apple is different from an Orange, though both are Fruit. Many arguments are over this exact misunderstanding of the terms. To call an Apple an Orange is wrong while calling it a Fruit is not, BUT requires further investigation to get more detail.

Likewise, a suspicion is like a Fruit, not wrong in itself, but requiring further investigation.

ps Capitalization used for emphasis, not linguistic purity.

Last edited:
In other words is the discussion. Defining the terms is fundamental to the discussion.

An Apple is different from an Orange, though both are Fruit. Many arguments are over this exact misunderstanding of the terms. To call an Apple an Orange is wrong while calling it a Fruit is not, BUT requires further investigation to get more detail.

Likewise, a suspicion is like a Fruit, not wrong in itself, but requiring further investigation.

ps Capitalization used for emphasis, not linguistic purity.

Just curious if you are an expert in the etymology of names and get your suspicions raised over all name meanings, or just the Arabic ones?

And LOLing that you would have a suspicion and "need further investigating" into someone who had no control over what his mama named him.

Just curious if you are an expert in the etymology of names and get your suspicions raised over all name meanings, or just the Arabic ones?

And LOLing that you would have a suspicion and "need further investigating" into someone who had no control over what his mama named him.
The name indicates a POSSIBLE influence. Hence suspicion. And I would be just as suspicious if a white guy was named Adolph Hitler. It could be perfectly innocent, but suspicions are raised because he may have been raised by someone who found him appealing enough to name their son that.

I get tired of both sides of the argument that things must either be ignored or believed without question. There is a reasonable middle ground.

Do we really need a WR with speed? I can see Braxton Miller being the next Wes Welker.
Yes; we need a WR who demands help over the top from a safety. This will help open up the intermediate area for Shorts and the TE's. It will also help open up the secondary for Miller to break open. A receiver who demands safety help deep will completely open up our offense to more big, game changing plays.

Back