Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2014 Texans have waived/released...

_King_

Heard it on the radio.

No link yet

Maybe this thread should be an all encompassing Texans players released/not retained thread?

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 7m
Texans released CB Brice McCain.
Expand
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 7m
Brice McCain, a 6th round pick in 2009, has been the nickel CB for years.

Simply a bad re-signing by the Texans. McCain should have been allowed to walk in FA.

can't....control....my....happy...dance.....

swanson-dance.gif

now for #8....

Thank god.

I couldn't take another season of watching him chase down big plays from behind.

Glad he's gone but I hope we're not relying on crappy Brandon Harris as his replacement. I also really hope we're not relying on pathetic defensive back talent evaluator Rick Smith to pick a corner in the draft because he's proven to be completely awful at it.

His release supposedly saves us 900k on the cap

I think I heard it wrong...

On the radio I think they said it was 900k dead money...But I know very little about the cap and contracts so. And I don't even know if I heard that right...

McCain was rated 110th out of 110 CBs overall in 2013 and 110th/110 in pass coverage by ProFootballFocus (>25% team snaps).

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Brice McCain was drafted by #Texans in 6th RD in 2009. played 72 games, 5 picks, 1 TD, 111 career tackles. played in all 16 games in 2013

While I am pleased to see him go, I will never get back the ten years that was taken off my life from watching him play. Best of luck in the future Brice.

I think I heard it wrong...

On the radio I think they said it was 900k dead money...But I know very little about the cap and contracts so. And I don't even know if I heard that right...

It is $900k in dead money off a 2014 cap hit of $1.75 mil so a net cap savings of $850k.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Texans released TE Owen Daniels.

The Texans saved $4.5 million on the cap by releasing Daniels.

Owen Daniels counted $6.25 million on the cap. He was scheduled to make $4.5 million. He's recovered from a fractured fibula.

Owen Daniels had been with the team since 2006 when he was a fourth-round pick. This means they must be re-signing TE Garrett Graham.
John Harris ‏@jharrisfootball
NFL's current CBA seems to have an indirect impact on player safety going forward..."older" players are getting snipped at much earlier age

NFL dynamics for cap-strapped team RT @taniaganguli Have confirmed HT released Owen Daniels. Saves them $4.5 million in cap space.

Hate to say it, OD but "I earned it" or "I deserve to be here" is NOT what the world is anymore, in any walk of life. #livingproof

Last edited:
Damn, I'm gonna miss OD. Great guy and great player for us. I totally understand the business side of it, though.

Damn, I'm gonna miss OD. Great guy and great player for us. I totally understand the business side of it, though.

Yep, great guy and put a lot of good play in for us. Watch to see if Kubiak taps him for Ravens.

Two-time Pro Bowler...

[IMGwidthsize=300]http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/10/files/2010/07/Owen-Daniels-Raiders.jpg[/IMG]

Same here. I had been to his charity waiter steak dinner with the players serving as waiters the past few years. Great guy, good player and I will miss him. Where are we going to get his production from? He was Schaub's security blanket.

Tough to see OD go, best TE we have ever had, obviously. The way he was playing before he injured his leg at Buffalo in 2009 I thought he could have had 1000 yards and 10 TDs by the end of the season. Never quite got back to that level but he was still rock solid. What a fantastic 4th round pick he turned out to be.

Tough to see OD go, best TE we have ever had, obviously. The way he was playing before he injured his leg at Buffalo in 2009 I thought he could have had 1000 yards and 10 TDs by the end of the season. Never quite got back to that level but he was still rock solid. What a fantastic 4th round pick he turned out to be.

Casserly's last call was to talk the team into Daniels with that pick.

With the McCain/OD/Schaub cuts cuts BOB should be able to find a NT/CB/LB /WR-Kr in FA.

Hate to see OD go but this was necessary.

There are some good TE's in this draft.

I think OD may be best served going to a team with a big need at the position because if he goes somewhere as a second TE he could end up battling for PT if the team is sitting there on draft day with a young TE on the board they don't want to pass up.

Good luck to OD. He was one of my favorite players and provided a lot of good memories and spectacular catches. Played hard all the time.

Call me an ass or whatever but this team went 2-14 after being predicted to make a deep run. There sure as hell better be blood.

#NOMERCY

I really hope that they keep #8 and name him starter for the season. Not because I think he can recover from last season/end of the season before that to playing really well but simply for the meltdown it would cause among many people such as youself :hairpull:

I'm kind of hoping for the same thing because if Schaub if he remains the QB the Texans are going to be a 4-12, 6-10 team and should be able to get one of the top QB's in the 2015 draft.

It amazes me how fans just love holding onto the past. Even if the past = 2-14.

I hope we don't cut Manning, unless we plan to sign a higher profile guy or draft one high. We have no depth a safety and I'm not sold on Swearinger, even though he's likely the other starter.bad safety play is so difficult to watch.

I hope we don't cut Manning, unless we plan to sign a higher profile guy or draft one high. We have no depth a safety and I'm not sold on Swearinger, even though he's likely the other starter.bad safety play is so difficult to watch.

Me neither. Unless he improves his pass coverage a LOT, he's nothing more than a box safety. I think he'll be better, but how much?

I'd definitely hate to see Keo and Pleasant back at FS while that swag idiot is at SS. We have to shore up the safety position in the worst way.

Me neither. Unless he improves his pass coverage a LOT, he's nothing more than a box safety. I think he'll be better, but how much?

Safeties typically improve a lot from year 1 to 2. The game slows down a lot and route recognition tends to get a lot better too. I'm hoping this will be the case for him.

I'm kind of hoping for the same thing because if Schaub if he remains the QB the Texans are going to be a 4-12, 6-10 team and should be able to get one of the top QB's in the 2015 draft.

It amazes me how fans just love holding onto the past. Even if the past = 2-14.

Maybe I've been in the draft section for too long, but I haven't really seen many advocating for holding onto the past. Of course you're going to see people have mixed feelings about OD leaving, but that's just because he's battled hard for the franchise and helped the team get to its first 2 postseasons. It's time to move on though and I think most people understand that. I can love my wife and realize that divorce is the best thing for us at the same time.

Thanks for all the memories OD, and best of luck wherever you land. I will continue to following your career.

I love OD as much as the next guy and I wish him the best of luck, but maybe we should give him his own appreciation thread, I would really like to view this thread with updates without having to stroll pages and pages to see if anything new has happened... Not trying to be a ass.. js

I love OD as much as the next guy and I wish him the best of luck, but maybe we should give him his own appreciation thread, I would really like to view this thread with updates without having to stroll pages and pages to see if anything new has happened... Not trying to be a ass.. js

No, avoiding that was the purpose here.

I'll never forget that one handed grab in Cincy to keep our drive to the playoffs alive. Gonna miss "Open" Daniels.

Maybe in hindsight. How was smith supposed to know his play would go from promising to trash?

I didn't want McCain re-signed and McCain had one good year. He was sub par or poor every other year. And I know I wasn't the only one that was saying we should just let McCain walk.

But whatever...Not really a big debating point...he's gone now...

Que sara sara

You haven't missed anything really...

Just OD and MCCain as far as I know.

Question - If Schaub isn't released today, he could still be let go at any time, or do they have to wait for the June 1 cuts? I assume there are various cap implications on timing?

The whole FA/Cap thing is not my cup of tea. I do keep up with the draft and what not, but the rules associated with the cap and FA is vague to me.

Sorry to see OD go. The cap sucks but it had to be done.

Back