Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2014 Texans have waived/released...

Question - If Schaub isn't released today, he could still be let go at any time, or do they have to wait for the June 1 cuts? I assume there are various cap implications on timing?

IMO, if they don't cut him today, it means they haven't made up their mind to do it.

There's no benefit for us to keep him until June 1st. No benefit not to either.

Releasing him now would just get him on the market sooner, benefit Matt & whatever team he goes to.

I don't mind keeping Schaub simply because I don't see a better option out there and I don't care when we draft a QB, I don't want him starting day one. IMO None of the QB's in this draft (even Bridgewater) are going to come right in and be ready to start.

IMO, if they don't cut him today, it means they haven't made up their mind to do it.

Releasing him now would just get him on the market sooner, benefit Matt & whatever team he goes to.

Maybe they want to try and trade him after the draft.

I didn't want McCain re-signed and McCain had one good year. He was sub par or poor every other year. And I know I wasn't the only one that was saying we should just let McCain walk.

But whatever...Not really a big debating point...he's gone now...

Que sara sara

It doesn't matter what you say no matter how rediculous you will always have someone here agree with you. Not resigning a young player after what appeared to be a breakout year to a reasonable contract would be a mistake. Smith has made plenty of BIGTIME mistakes to complain about. No need to fabricate more.

OD is a hard worker, a great player, and an overall good dude. One of my favorite Texans. I hope he has a breakout year with his next team.

Same difference if they release him today or in two weeks. Just a few paychecks that McNair pays out each week he is here. No salary cap implications between now and two weeks from now.

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

EDIT: I should add that the purpose of posting the link isn't to directly contradict what I bolded, but to shed some light on the topic itself.

That's not correct as stated. There is no difference on cap issues because they could designate him June 1st and cut him now. But keeping him obscures the Texans' QB intentions and many teams like to hide their cards.

That's not correct as stated. There is no difference on cap issues because they could designate him June 1st and cut him now. But keeping him obscures the Texans' QB intentions and many teams like to hide their cards.

This, he could be a designated as such, meaning they don't have to actually wait for June 1st, I think this was new in the last CBA. They either don't want to tip their hand and/or keep their options open. I am still thinking there is only a remote chance he is here next year, but uggh it might be an actual possibility.

This, he could be a designated as such, meaning they don't have to actually wait for June 1st, I think this was new in the last CBA. They either don't want to tip their hand and/or keep their options open. I am still thinking there is only a remote chance he is here next year, but uggh it might be an actual possibility.

I don't think it is remote chance, I think it is happening.

I keep hearing this excuse, but could you elaborate how it tips their hand please?

Leave that stuff for the thread that you keep defending him in. We really don't need that in this thread.

We've been debating this and other topics in that thread for what seems like weeks. Are we really going to do that here too?

Leave that stuff for the thread that you keep defending him in. We really don't need that in this thread.

We've been debating this and other topics in that thread for what seems like weeks. Are we really going to do that here too?

I was unaware of a time limit imposed on topics, or what could be discussed in other topics. Thanks for setting me straight.

I was unaware of a time limit imposed on topics, or what could be discussed in other topics. Thanks for setting me straight.

I see 4 pages of back in forth with you and 10 people discussing why we should or shouldn't keep Schaub in the future of this thread and I don't want that. I'd like to check this thread for cuts, especially with the 4pm deadline approaching, not to watch a debate from another thread get rehashed.

Your question is a bait question, that you will respond to with one of your extra long pro-Schaub rants and we'll get atleast a page of people arguing against it.

No thanks.

However, if they designate him as a June 1st cut, even if they cut him today, they do not receive the cap savings until June 1st... In other words, they can't use any of that $10 million until June... However, if they cut him today (without the June 1st designation), they would get the immediately $4 million in cap relief.

My guess is that they will keep him until they sign/trade for the veteran they may be targeting, or until after the draft, or until they find a trading partner.

I see 4 pages of back in forth with you and 10 people discussing why we should or shouldn't keep Schaub in the future of this thread and I don't want that. I'd like to check this thread for cuts, especially with the 4pm deadline approaching, not to watch a debate from another thread get rehashed.

Your question is a bait question, that you will respond to with one of your extra long pro-Schaub rants and we'll get atleast a page of people arguing against it.

No thanks.

Seems to me you are the one derailing this thread. I didn't bring up Schaub, I asked the commenter to elaborate on his post. Moving on.

I'm going to miss OD. He had so many great plays while he was here. But... damn... every time he started to take over and live up to his potential he broke.

People talk about how the Patriots installed the two TE thing and everyone tried to copy them... but that was US with Dreessen and OD. We just never could capitalize on it.

Good luck to him.

But that had to be done. Let's see how deep this rebuild goes.

I'm going to miss OD. He had so many great plays while he was here. But... damn... every time he started to take over and live up to his potential he broke.
Sounds kinda like Gronk up in N.E. don't it?

People talk about how the Patriots installed the two TE thing and everyone tried to copy them... but that was US with Dreessen and OD. We just never could capitalize on it.
Well, not to the extent the Pats seemed to. But that's the diff between having a Brady vs. a Schaub as your triggerman.

Good luck to him.

But that had to be done. Let's see how deep this rebuild goes.
I wish him well also.

Well, not to the extent the Pats seemed to. But that's the diff between having a Brady vs. a Schaub as your triggerman.

I'd say that was more the diff between Dreesen and either of the NE TEs. Schaub was always good at finding TEs and had OD on pace for 1000 yds 10 TDs one season.

I keep hearing this excuse, but could you elaborate how it tips their hand please?

I guess releasing him tells the world we're going QB with 1-1 or that's the assumption. Nobody who wants to trade the farm to get Clowney will call us because they'll figure we're not interested in him and they'll talk to the teams below us? Hanging on to him means we still have an interest in either the QB's or Clowney in play.

How that really matters I have no idea.

I don't mind keeping Schaub simply because I don't see a better option out there and I don't care when we draft a QB, I don't want him starting day one. IMO None of the QB's in this draft (even Bridgewater) are going to come right in and be ready to start.

I agree...whomever we draft at qb needs to sit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. If we cut Matt Schaub, we're going to take a QB in the first.

Or... maybe the second.

If we don't cut Matt Schaub, QB is off our list.

That Rick Smith... he's playing chess, I'm playing checkers.

Or... maybe the second.

would trading him have the same cap implications as if we cut him today (ie not as a june 1st)

I guess releasing him tells the world we're going QB with 1-1 or that's the assumption. Nobody who wants to trade the farm to get Clowney will call us because they'll figure we're not interested in him and they'll talk to the teams below us? Hanging on to him means we still have an interest in either the QB's or Clowney in play.

We benched him for an UDFA who had been here for 3 years & had no idea what a zero blitz was. What about that says we're not looking for a QB at 1-1?

would trading him have the same cap implications as if we cut him today (ie not as a june 1st)

Yes. If we trade him we have to eat $10M of dead money this season. No way to push it off to next year where the cap goes up another $10M.

I'm kind of hoping for the same thing because if Schaub if he remains the QB the Texans are going to be a 4-12, 6-10 team and should be able to get one of the top QB's in the 2015 draft.

It amazes me how fans just love holding onto the past. Even if the past = 2-14.

It amazes me how short of a memory many fans have. Schaub may not be elite, but he's not manure as many here would have you believe. He's probably better than any rookie we can draft, but too expensive. Value is his problem. Cutting him won't save too much this year, but it saves a bundle in 2015 and 2016 when we need the room.

Agreed. Hold your cards close to the vest. Keep a straight face and give no tells.

Or... maybe the second.

Or maybe we're going with Keenum... Every team needs to know that any player they covet might be gone with Houston's first pick. That's how to maximize the value of the pick for any trade. Keep them guessing.

ok thanks. surely we could trade him for a 4th maybe even in 3rd.
Gabbert of all people went for a 6th!

The problem with trading him is his contract. It's too large to trade. It's far cheaper to just wait and work out a more favorable contract for a veteran QB and make Houston eat the dead money.

It amazes me how short of a memory many fans have. Schaub may not be elite, but he's not manure as many here would have you believe. He's probably better than any rookie we can draft, but too expensive. Value is his problem. Cutting him won't save too much this year, but it saves a bundle in 2015 and 2016 when we need the room.
The Matt Schaub of recent is manure. In his last 16 starts, Schaub has a 78.1 QB rating. That's Blaine Gabbert territory. Christian Ponder's area code. Yes, I remember Matt Schaub circa 2009-2011. Wish we still had him. Wish he still existed on the Planet Earth. He doesn't.

So, it's time to move on in the heartless world of professional sports. Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel will be good QBs, at some point. Bortles will be good, might take a little longer. Better to get one now, than hold on to some false hope that Matt Schaub will ever be a good QB again.

One the reasons going into the decision for the Texans to part ways with OD was because he failed his physical.
Maybe. But, how many guys coming off IR would pass a physical in March? Cushing probably wouldn't. I think the salary is the main factor. The Texans will probably use the cap savings to re-sign Graham, then take a bigger TE in the draft.

The problem with trading him is his contract. It's too large to trade. It's far cheaper to just wait and work out a more favorable contract for a veteran QB and make Houston eat the dead money.

its large but not unfavourable. to a team that has a large cap space, like the raiders, browns etc schuab offers better quality (at least thats how i would spin it if i was GM) for a contract that you can get out of relatively quickly without long term damage

He wasn't manure last yr?

its large but not unfavourable. to a team that has a large cap space, like the raiders, browns etc schuab offers better quality (at least thats how i would spin it if i was GM) for a contract that you can get out of relatively quickly without long term damage
A GM that could sell a Matt Schaub trade would be the ultimate spinmeister.

Back