Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2014 Texans have waived/released...

its large but not unfavourable. to a team that has a large cap space, like the raiders, browns etc schuab offers better quality (at least thats how i would spin it if i was GM) for a contract that you can get out of relatively quickly without long term damage

2014 $10,937,500
2015 $13.5M
2016 $15.5M

That is just too much when you can negotiate a favorable contract in the 7 figure range with just a little patience. My guess is $3M max.

The Matt Schaub of recent is manure. In his last 16 starts, Schaub has a 78.1 QB rating. That's Blaine Gabbert territory. Christian Ponder's area code. Yes, I remember Matt Schaub circa 2009-2011. Wish we still had him. Wish he still existed on the Planet Earth. He doesn't.

So, it's time to move on in the heartless world of professional sports. Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel will be good QBs, at some point. Bortles will be good, might take a little longer. Better to get one now, than hold on to some false hope that Matt Schaub will ever be a good QB again.

Maybe. But, how many guys coming off IR would pass a physical in March? Cushing probably wouldn't. I think the salary is the main factor. The Texans will probably use the cap savings to re-sign Graham, then take a bigger TE in the draft.

Daniels said when he suffered the injury he thought it was a severe leg cramp. Another player landed on his leg as he made a catch. He ran off the field even after the break and didn't think much of it. He was found to have suffered a mid shaft fibula fracture. His fibula fracture was not displaced. If the fibula is not displaced, it heals without need for a cast nor crutches since it's not a weight-bearing bone. Daniels never required crutches or a cast and was expected to be back (remember he was designated to return following a week 5 injury). But it never happened due to slow progress. Now five months later, if he is not ready to pass his physical, something is significantly not right.

No, he wasn't He was a descent QB with REALLY bad turnover problems. That part of a game can change quickly back with a running game and OL help.
So it was the O-line's fault? Didn't Keenum have the same o-line and lack of running game? Maybe he's a decent QB, as well? Keenum, with the same line and running game, had a better TD %, better INT%, better YPA, and a higher QB rating. Guess we won't have to draft a QB, after all!!!

2014 $10,937,500
2015 $13.5M
2016 $15.5M

That is just too much when you can negotiate a favorable contract in the 7 figure range with just a little patience. My guess is $3M max.

who's to say team x negotiating with schuab actually gets him. if there are multiple teams that want him (so far reports say there are) than its a sellers market. play the teams against eachother. Schuab is easily the best QB from the draft (as in talent right now) or FA in the market. several teams will be desperate for him.

Lets say team Y trades for him and he plays up to his ability than his contract is favourable, if he doesnt then you cut him with little long term damage.
Making calls to teams saying that you dont have to be involved in a bidding war is the texans leverage

Now five months later, if he is not ready to pass his physical, something is significantly not right.
That's very likely true. But, these are the same doctors that OKed Ed Reed last year, right? Seem like if they want a guy to pass a physical, he passes. If they don't, he doesn't. I'm always a little leery of what I hear from the Texans. Your word is golden to me.

No, he wasn't He was a descent QB with REALLY bad turnover problems. That part of a game can change quickly back with a running game and OL help.

So it was the O-line's fault? Didn't Keenum have the same o-line and lack of running game? Maybe he's a decent QB, as well? Keenum, with the same line and running game, had a better TD %, better INT%, better YPA, and a higher QB rating. Guess we won't have to draft a QB, after all!!!

I'd say the OL impaired the QBs last year but not enough to change conclusions about them.

Having said that Marshall has a point to a degree. Schaub's play was down across the board last year but it was the INTs that truly killed him. If his play had been exactly the same except he had his ordinary TD/INT ratio his rating would have been 17th among starting QBs as opposed to 30th as he was (thanks Eli and Geno). That doesn't mean I think he will be the Schaub of old next year here or anywhere else.

REALLY? You didn't see that ANYWHERE? It's been a pretty hot topic ALL DAY LONG. Just sayin'.

OK, so I just popped in and looked through 2 pages of titles for "Owen" or "Daniels". Didn't notice the Waived/Release thread. So sue me. Didn't know about McCain till I did see this thread.

its large but not unfavourable. to a team that has a large cap space, like the raiders, browns etc schuab offers better quality (at least thats how i would spin it if i was GM) for a contract that you can get out of relatively quickly without long term damage

If Rick Smith gets a third for Schaub they better build a bronze statue of Rick in front of Reliant!

If Schaub is good enough to warrant a third round pick with his overhead then we should be keeping him........

Or maybe we're going with Keenum... Every team needs to know that any player they covet might be gone with Houston's first pick. That's how to maximize the value of the pick for any trade. Keep them guessing.

Yeah... keeping Schaub doesn't tip our hand about what we're going to do. He's not going to stop us from grabbing a 1st round QB anymore than he'll stop us from grabbing a 5th round QB.

Posturing like we're going to start Kubiak is like John McLain "easing" past the doughnut table. You now damn well that man's going to grab a doughnut.

OK, so I just popped in and looked through 2 pages of titles for "Owen" or "Daniels". Didn't notice the Waived/Release thread. So sue me. Didn't know about McCain till I did see this thread.

Be expecting a summons to report! :D

Yeah... keeping Schaub doesn't tip our hand about what we're going to do. He's not going to stop us from grabbing a 1st round QB anymore than he'll stop us from grabbing a 5th round QB.

Posturing like we're going to start Kubiak is like John McLain "easing" past the doughnut table. You now damn well that man's going to grab a doughnut.

Hey TK, the way I read that is that we as Texan's fans have Freudian "slips" with the whole Kubes/Schaub era.. :D

*DISCLAIMER*
I may have read that wrong!

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
The Texans did not make qualifying offers to restricted free agents DE Terrell McClain, WR Lestar Jean & OLB Bryan Braman. They are now UFA.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
From week 1 of the 2013 season. There are 19 players who are not here from that 53 man roster. #Texans

As I've said before, there is 0 to gain by cutting schaub now. There is a market for schaub. They could allow a team willing to trade for him to get him to restructure like palmer did last yr. It would serve the texans well and they're in contgrol, not schaub.no player is getting a check right now anyway.

David Zangaro reports that an offer was made to Bramam but declined to test the free agent market.
If the Texans made a qualifying offer, they would have the right to match a offer sheet that Braman signs. Of course, McClain said no offer was made.

As I've said before, there is 0 to gain by cutting schaub now. There is a market for schaub. They could allow a team willing to trade for him to get him to restructure like palmer did last yr. It would serve the texans well and they're in contgrol, not schaub.no player is getting a check right now anyway.
If you're using the Palmer trade as a benchmark, the Raiders swapped a 7th rounder for Arizona's 6th round pick, plus a 2014 7th round pick. Not a huge haul. I think they would be better served making Schaub a June 1st cut.

. I think they would be better served making Schaub a June 1st cut.

The more I think about it , the less I like the idea of spreading out his cap hit .... I'd rather they eat it all in one season.
Reason being , I don't think they compete for a playoff spot this coming season , any QB they have will need a year in the league & the system.

Why not take all the lumps at once and get them outa the way and have that much more cap space to use the following offseason when JJ Watt is a free agent and you have to pony up ....

The more I think about it , the less I like the idea of spreading out his cap hit .... I'd rather they eat it all in one season.
Reason being , I don't think they compete for a playoff spot this coming season , any QB they have will need a year in the league & the system.

Why not take all the lumps at once and get them outa the way and have that much more cap space to use the following offseason when JJ Watt is a free agent and you have to pony up ....

I'm warming to the idea of taking our lumps. Originally I wanted to maximize cap space to sign a replacement QB & some nice young promising talent. As usual, most of those guys didn't hit the market, those that did are getting snatched up too quick & we haven't got off the pot yet. & I didn't want to have to cut OD, Manning, or restructure Jjo's deal.

Then the league gave us an extra $10M, which was all I thought we needed & we cut OD first.

Like you said, no need to free up any more money. We're not going to spend it anyway. Which is Rick's MO. He doesn't free up money he doesn't plan to use.

is this for real?

MSR.JPG

You raise an excellent point. We may have our QB already. It's certainly too soon to say what we have is garbage.

I'd say the OL impaired the QBs last year but not enough to change conclusions about them.

Having said that Marshall has a point to a degree. Schaub's play was down across the board last year but it was the INTs that truly killed him. If his play had been exactly the same except he had his ordinary TD/INT ratio his rating would have been 17th among starting QBs as opposed to 30th as he was (thanks Eli and Geno). That doesn't mean I think he will be the Schaub of old next year here or anywhere else.

Just to take the point one step further, I do not believe any of the rookie QBs will be better than 17th among starters, even with an improved line and running game. I sincerely believe Keenum might be better than any QB in this years draft, but it might be close.

A restructure is the only way I see Schaub involved in a trade, so both the team and Schaub have something to say about it. In fact, the Texans could also ask for a restructure and keep him. He can either go along or leave when cut. But I do not foresee him remaining with his current contract in place.

LOL, interesting mistake you caught there...

I saw this on nfl.com and thought, wow the forum must be exploding right now...

but nothing, I have to say I was surprisingly pleased at the Idea we released Schaub.

I didn't expect to have that reaction to the news.

-edit-
about the mistake: they probably are using an algorithm that search for the player's name and the word "Released", more or less the same tool that helps you see the news about your team on nfl.com mobile app

Just to take the point one step further, I do not believe any of the rookie QBs will be better than 17th among starters, even with an improved line and running game. I sincerely believe Keenum might be better than any QB in this years draft, but it might be close.

I am not going there. I think any of the top 3 QBs or Mallett have a chance to be top half QBs in their 1st year. A couple of the others might if they go to a low draft order team who plans to sit them and then loses their starter early.

Signed away to "Texans North"...

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Eagles snag another former #Texans player. Teams announces Bryan Braman 2-years, 3.15 million. 1 mill guarnteed.

I hate this move. Always like Braman and hoped he would turn out to be a solid starter for us one day. I think he has great upside.

He's a special teams expert, I don't think he will see any playing time at the LB position with the Eagles.

I hate this move. Always like Braman and hoped he would turn out to be a solid starter for us one day. I think he has great upside.

I'll miss his ST play but if he couldn't get any PT at LB in our scrub-assed LB corps then I don't think he'll make it anywhere at LB.

He's a special teams expert, I don't think he will see any playing time at the LB position with the Eagles.

I'll miss his ST play but if he couldn't get any PT at LB in our scrub-assed LB corps then I don't think he'll make it anywhere at LB.

I really liked Braman and had high hopes for him as an OLB. But it wasn't that he never got a legitimate chance at the position, rather than he never got the hang of playing OLB with his helmet on.

what is it with the eagles with lovin them some former Texans players ..???

do they got a former coach or Office person there that came from Houston ..??

I will miss Braman's tenacity on special teams but this is not some huge loss. He never gave us anything on defense and is easily replaceable.

what is it with the eagles with lovin them some former Texans players ..???

do they got a former coach or Office person there that came from Houston ..??

They moved the a 3-4 defense last year so naturally our defensive players are going to be of interest to them.

Eh, on Braman. He was given every opportunity to win the OLB spot after Barwin left and was easily beat out in preseason.

His special teams performance had been very good up until last season. Our STs were bad and he didn't do much to help them in 13

Happy for him getting a little cabbage, but also happy it isn't with us

Back