Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 Texans have waived/released...

Eh, on Braman. He was given every opportunity to win the OLB spot after Barwin left and was easily beat out in preseason.

His special teams performance had been very good up until last season. Our STs were bad and he didn't do much to help them in 13

Happy for him getting a little cabbage, but also happy it isn't with us

was he really givin a chance realllyy reallyyyy with Kubes lol or even wade

Esp right when connar left we drafted merclius

I'm warming to the idea of taking our lumps. Originally I wanted to maximize cap space to sign a replacement QB & some nice young promising talent. As usual, most of those guys didn't hit the market, those that did are getting snatched up too quick & we haven't got off the pot yet. & I didn't want to have to cut OD, Manning, or restructure Jjo's deal.

Then the league gave us an extra $10M, which was all I thought we needed & we cut OD first.

Like you said, no need to free up any more money. We're not going to spend it anyway. Which is Rick's MO. He doesn't free up money he doesn't plan to use.

To me its simple , there is no instant fix to this team , especially @ QB.

I think its likely they draft one early (a QB) and it will take that player time to acclimate to the NFL. This coming season may be better than the last but I have low expectations going in , its a building year , not a competing year.

Because of that it makes little sense to spend money or divert money onto next years cap. Take the hit now , have a clear cap in 2015 after your new QB has a year under his belt , use that money to lock up Watt & fill some holes via FA and field a team with reasonable expectations of a deep playoff run for the next few seasons.

Diverting cap space in a year in which you don't expect to contend .... just doesn't make much sense to me.

But I thought Bob said that he expects us to contend this year?

I think folks are blowing that comment up and what he means is a substantial turnaround so we have not been eliminated from the playoffs before week 16 or 17. Think 2009 Texans - didn't make it on tie breakers.

To me its simple , there is no instant fix to this team , especially @ QB.

I think its likely they draft one early (a QB) and it will take that player time to acclimate to the NFL. This coming season may be better than the last but I have low expectations going in , its a building year , not a competing year.

Because of that it makes little sense to spend money or divert money onto next years cap. Take the hit now , have a clear cap in 2015 after your new QB has a year under his belt , use that money to lock up Watt & fill some holes via FA and field a team with reasonable expectations of a deep playoff run for the next few seasons.

Diverting cap space in a year in which you don't expect to contend .... just doesn't make much sense to me.

Yep, but boardroom BoBBy said coaching was the problem and expected a quick turnaround. Are you saying it's a talent issue and if so, who's responsible for these issues?

Yep, but boardroom BoBBy said coaching was the problem and expected a quick turnaround. Are you saying it's a talent issue and if so, who's responsible for these issues?

Its a talent issue .... the gaping hole at QB is example #1. None of us ever expected Schaub to be a world beater but no one really expected him to be as bad as he was last season. Injuries strip players of their talents ... Schaub was limited already ,the injuries sealed the deal.

As for who's to blame , that'd be the guy who inked him to his current deal (Rick) after multiple injuries.

Blown draft picks , last years 3rd / 4th round was an absolute waste of assets. Injuries , poor fit , reaches , bad apples .... At the end of the day that falls on the GM.

Analyze the roster & tell me how many positions are lacking in talent from the beginning of last season , the team that started the season. Many here were complaining about RT , NT/DT , ILB , RG , CB and OLB. Then came the QB debacle.

Look at todays roster where there are holes at RT (Why hasn't Newton been cut?!) NT/DT , DE , LG , nCB , OLB , ILB , S , TE & QB with depth and health issues at RB & WR.

Some of those holes will be filled in the draft .... but its impossible to address them all there and because of the cap situation , difficult to add quality via FA.

When you realize just how many holes there are on this roster , you can easily see that McNair is delusional in thinking this is a quick turnaround. They might improve their record this season .... but it wont be the giant leap that KC made. We're looking at a 2-3 year rebuilding period ....

The common denominator in all the Texans issues is Rick Smith - lack of talent , poor drafting and cap hell. He had a hand in all of the above ....

Its a talent issue .... the gaping hole at QB is example #1. None of us ever expected Schaub to be a world beater but no one really expected him to be as bad as he was last season. Injuries strip players of their talents ... Schaub was limited already ,the injuries sealed the deal.

As for who's to blame , that'd be the guy who inked him to his current deal (Rick) after multiple injuries.

Blown draft picks , last years 3rd / 4th round was an absolute waste of assets. Injuries , poor fit , reaches , bad apples .... At the end of the day that falls on the GM.

Analyze the roster & tell me how many positions are lacking in talent from the beginning of last season , the team that started the season. Many here were complaining about RT , NT/DT , ILB , RG , CB and OLB. Then came the QB debacle.

Look at todays roster where there are holes at RT (Why hasn't Newton been cut?!) NT/DT , DE , LG , nCB , OLB , ILB , S , TE & QB with depth and health issues at RB & WR.

Some of those holes will be filled in the draft .... but its impossible to address them all there and because of the cap situation , difficult to add quality via FA.

When you realize just how many holes there are on this roster , you can easily see that McNair is delusional in thinking this is a quick turnaround. They might improve their record this season .... but it wont be the giant leap that KC made. We're looking at a 2-3 year rebuilding period ....

The common denominator in all the Texans issues is Rick Smith - lack of talent , poor drafting and cap hell. He had a hand in all of the above ....

Just wanted everybody to hear it from a guy who knows how the Texans inner workings are being carried out.

Thanks for responding

Hmmm......, the way Denver's loading up in free agency (and we're not even loading), why don't we just tank from the beginning so we can guarantee ourselves of the #1 pick next year. That's one way of getting our QB. :pissed:

Hmmm......, the way Denver's loading up in free agency (and we're not even loading), why don't we just tank from the beginning so we can guarantee ourselves of the #1 pick next year. That's one way of getting our QB. :pissed:

I hate losing but if you aren't a SB contender then you might as well tank

I thought Sam Montgomery was 1st round talent, with character issues. I'm beginning to wonder if he was ever given a fair chance here. Maybe Rick picked him & Gary/Wade never wanted him. What if they took a stand & set the kid up to fail? Same with Trevardo, same with Brandon Harris? I know Harris isn't well liked around here, but he definitely out played McCain.

What if the rift between Kubiak & Smith started years ago, finally came to a head last season? This team has been bleeding talent for no good reason. Paying the wrong people a lot of money & getting nothing for talented players.

I'm pretty sure the coaches decide who makes the roster & who does not. Newton somehow made it past OB's crew, OD did not. McCain did not.

I've never understood why we couldn't get our young players to be as productive as the young players for other teams. We'll run Foster into the dirt before we put a healthy Ben Tate on the field. KDub takes every snap even though we have faster players on the sideline.... but we'll swap out or OGs & OTs every series?

That doesn't make sense.

I find it difficult to think we lost all that games in a row not on purpose.

When you continue to trot out a UDFA that spent a few years on the practice squad over and over to "see what he's got", then yeah, you are basically saying you are not competitive. IF Keenum had brought a few victories, then it would have been a bonus, but to me it was clear that the coaches and FO gave up on the season long before the players did.

When you continue to trot out a UDFA that spent a few years on the practice squad over and over to "see what he's got", then yeah, you are basically saying you are not competitive. IF Keenum had brought a few victories, then it would have been a bonus, but to me it was clear that the coaches and FO gave up on the season long before the players did.

I can't say I'm against it tho, if your goal is winning the SB and nothing else matters you should put yourself in the best position to win the SB.

And that means that if you don't have a shot to the playoffs you have to lose out in order to improve your draft value.

I think people can't have that "losing on purpose is bad" attitude and at the same time say "the only thing that matters is winning the SB, everything else is worth nothing"

I personally would like a team that is a contender every year, going to the playoffs 8-9 years in a decade and to the SB one or two times even if they don't win (read, NE - indy) more than a team that maybe wins the SB 1 time and then goes into oblivion (read, baltimore - giants)

I thought Sam Montgomery was 1st round talent, with character issues. I'm beginning to wonder if he was ever given a fair chance here. Maybe Rick picked him & Gary/Wade never wanted him. What if they took a stand & set the kid up to fail? Same with Trevardo, same with Brandon Harris? I know Harris isn't well liked around here, but he definitely out played McCain.

I've never understood why we couldn't get our young players to be as productive as the young players for other teams. We'll run Foster into the dirt before we put a healthy Ben Tate on the field. KDub takes every snap even though we have faster players on the sideline.... but we'll swap out or OGs & OTs every series?

That doesn't make sense.

What doesn't make sense is going all conspiracy theory when the coaching decisions don't agree with yours. Montgomery was a raw player many did not like as a pick and were consistently panning in their observations all the way back to training camp. He then got caught up in off field issues just like had him fall in the draft. He had shown nothing to support some kind of coaches were against him theory.

Tate got play time in line with backup RBs around the league when he was healthy.

Harris they simply did not like. I happen to agree he should have benched McCain but I am not going to assume the coaches agreed on talent and kept him off the field to spite themselves and the team over some feud with the FO.

Obviously they felt Walter's total package at WR was more valuable than a little extra speed. Get over it. Again that isn't evidence of a feud.

I find it difficult to think we lost all that games in a row not on purpose.

I can't say I'm against it tho, if your goal is winning the SB and nothing else matters you should put yourself in the best position to win the SB.

As Vinny and others have pointed out many times before that isn't how the NFL works. Players are not wedded to teams and there are too many of them for secrecy. They aren't going to hurt their careers to go out throw INTs, fumble the ball, miss tackles, miss blocks, etc. in order to have a less enjoyable life playing football and earn less money for the "good of the team" to get someone who may replace them and their teammates. Plus you don't waste 1 year of what on average is a 3-4 year career that way.

Coaches/GMs should never play a dude "too see what they got." It is their business to know what which UFDA player has starter talent they lucked into, is a guy you have to put in a specific situation, or is playing because there is nothing better on the roster.

We fans might want to see "what someone has" teams are supposed to know.

And that means that if you don't have a shot to the playoffs you have to lose out in order to improve your draft value.

I think people can't have that "losing on purpose is bad" attitude and at the same time say "the only thing that matters is winning the SB, everything else is worth nothing"

I personally would like a team that is a contender every year, going to the playoffs 8-9 years in a decade and to the SB one or two times even if they don't win (read, NE - indy) more than a team that maybe wins the SB 1 time and then goes into oblivion (read, baltimore - giants)

The NFL is not basketball or to some level baseball. Outside of the odd years where there is a clear franchise QB, the worst place to be is at the top of the NFL draft. Trading down is not more than 10% option. ( I will let you look up the last time the 1st pick overall was traded). the rest of the league knows that the dude that you are drafting at #1 will be no better and draw more attention than the dude they are drafting at 5, 8, maybe even 12.

Teams need 53 for the active roster and real about 65-70 players to get through a season (practice squad and IR). The best organizations find players throughout the draft, no matter the round and have few of UDFAs work beyond normal expectation. They also make a combination of a few key trades/free agent signings to fill specific roles. If you don't believe look at the structure of how Seattle was built.

What doesn't make sense is going all conspiracy theory when the coaching decisions don't agree with yours.

Conspiracy theory... thinking out loud.. whatever. Rick Smith is still here. Our owner believes we're going to be competitive, most of us see a major lack of talent & little cap room to show for it.

Something doesn't add up.

Get over it.

You're right, the "Rick Smith Sucks!!" dialogue is so much more engaging.

Our owner believes we're going to be competitive, most of us see a major lack of talent & little cap room to show for it. Something doesn't add up.

That narrative is changing. Smith backtracked on the "we're close" when OB and staff completed their player assessments. We have a lot of turnover ahead and depth to add just going from a small 3-4 to a big 3-4. Add in the offensive needs plus depth and it's not going to be a quick turnaround back into the playoffs.

Coaches/GMs should never play a dude "too see what they got." It is their business to know what which UFDA player has starter talent they lucked into, is a guy you have to put in a specific situation, or is playing because there is nothing better on the roster.

We fans might want to see "what someone has" teams are supposed to know.

I'd mostly agree with that but I think in a case where a players practice performance doesn't seem to match up with what they saw out of him in games in college or preseason then maybe I can understand the staff needing to see if they have a guy who can do that in real NFL games. When a guy can't practice himself up to a starting role but indications are he plays much better (or might).

Just to see if a guy needs the intensity and competition to step up. Sometimes that is the case.

Admittedly a rare situation but that's all I got. Otherwise I think you're right.

Has Crennel said we're running a 34?

I don't think anybody has said much of anything about..... anything.

This staff is crazy quiet if you ask me. I think in past years we had more information than this during the offseason but maybe I'm just imagining it because I want more information and this isn't the time of year that the team is usually giving us much.

Conspiracy theory... thinking out loud.. whatever. Rick Smith is still here. Our owner believes we're going to be competitive, most of us see a major lack of talent & little cap room to show for it.

Something doesn't add up.

You're right, the "Rick Smith Sucks!!" dialogue is so much more engaging.

I look at the guys we're cutting or letting walk and then the guys we are left with.

Then I exclude the ones that are obviously players you keep because there's no question about players like Watt, AJ, Cushing, and so forth.

Then I look at all the "crap that's left over" (Forgive me the "Twins" reference) and ask myself "Who in there that we seem to be keeping around is really going to surprise us and play much better with a different coaching staff or system?"

I don't see a lot of guys in that group who leave me thinking things like "Wait until the league sees what Derrick Newton and Brandon Harris can really do now!"

The guys who are signing with other teams are players that those teams think can help them and they're not holding bad seasons necessarily against them. The Texans obviously disagree in some cases because we're not making any effort to keep most of those guys.

It's disconcerting if you thought they were more talented than their performance indicated. If the Texans are correct though and looking at the guys going out the door it really says that we're rebuilding regardless of what McNair has been saying. I speculate that they've been pretty quiet over there because a dose of reality has hit Bob and he probably knows that we've got to rebuild but won't make a point of coming out and admitting that he was wrong.

It's disconcerting if you thought they were more talented than their performance indicated. If the Texans are correct though and looking at the guys going out the door it really says that we're rebuilding regardless of what McNair has been saying. I speculate that they've been pretty quiet over there because a dose of reality has hit Bob and he probably knows that we've got to rebuild but won't make a point of coming out and admitting that he was wrong.

No matter what, the owner has to continuously "sell" his team. Not only to the fans, but also to the players, coaching staff, and free agents. No good comes out if an owner publicly announces, "We have to re-build this team."

Do we have any ILB's now besides Cushing? Tarpinian? I can't believe how many holes FA has left us with, it's kind of comical at this point.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock

Texans LB Darryl Sharpton agrees to a 1 yr deal with Washington worth up to $2 mil

Well, if we don't do anything in free agency, we should get a 6th or 7th comp pick for him. Not bad, considering nobody would have traded that for him. Thanks Redskins!

Do we have any ILB's now besides Cushing? Tarpinian? I can't believe how many holes FA has left us with, it's kind of comical at this point.

Did we ever have any ILB's besides Cushing to begin with?

Now if we could see Reed go to ILB maybe things will get better?

Stop laughing.

Were you really wanting any more Sharpton/Mays right about now? I am rarely the you just find dudes laying around guy, but you always find the Sharpton/Mays type dudes.

Well, if we don't do anything in free agency, we should get a 6th or 7th comp pick for him. Not bad, considering nobody would have traded that for him. Thanks Redskins!

Yeah, that's the one way these little signings of dudes we don't give spit about do help assuming you care about getting a 7th round pick in 2015. My unofficial count for the Texans is 4 (Ninja I know not done yet, Sharpton, mays, Mitchell).

Yeah, that's the one way these little signings of dudes we don't give spit about do help assuming you care about getting a 7th round pick in 2015. My unofficial count for the Texans is 4 (Ninja I know not done yet, Sharpton, mays, Mitchell).

Good so far. I'll let the dust settle before making an estimate on next year's comp picks. Really need to know the APY to get a good guess as to what round the picks will be. The players also need to make the 53 man roster, so Sharpton might end up being a zero if there isn't any guaranteed money.

Are these 7th round picks really any better than signing UDFAs after the draft? I am guessing they are pretty much worthless

Are these 7th round picks really any better than signing UDFAs after the draft? I am guessing they are pretty much worthless

the best thing is that a team can just draft a guy they like versus have him choose where he wants to go. All of these guys are long shots ever be worth anything, so the overriding point is fair.

Yeah, Evan Frierson (6-2, 234). He's on IR with Cushing! :)

There are other LB's listed on the Official Roster that could be ILB's but they're only listed as LB's, like Paul Hazel :shocked, Mike Mohamed, Ricky Sapp, Tarpinian, and Justin Tuggle. They're going to have to get one in the Draft IMO, even if they move Reed inside.

Did we ever have any ILB's besides Cushing to begin with?.

We once had a guy named Jamie Sharper who wasn't so bad.

That said Cushing is a badass, but he is oft injured - whether cheap-shots or freak injuries.... Bottom line Cush has a hard time finishing a season.

Back