Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2009 Member Mock (Second) Rounds 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was about Sidbury, I'd like to hear your thoughts. If it wasn't - I'd still like to hear your thoughts on him, heh.

It was about Super Mario. I didn't know if he had PM'ed anybody with his list just in case he didn't make his pick in time, but he made his pick just a few minutes after I posted it so I deleted the question.

On Sidbury, his measurables are top notch. He has long arms, a quick burst, and a good motor. He played his best against the best teams he played (four sacks in the national championship, I believe). He also looked good in the Senior Bowl practices from what I have read.

Quality of competition is going to be a concern as he was really only productive for one year. He will also need to learn to fight through blocks instead of running around them. You can get away with that stuff at Richmond, but not in the NFL.

It was about Super Mario. I didn't know if he had PM'ed anybody with his list just in case he didn't make his pick in time, but he made his pick just a few minutes after I posted it so I deleted the question.

On Sidbury, his measurables are top notch. He has long arms, a quick burst, and a good motor. He played his best against the best teams he played (four sacks in the national championship, I believe). He also looked good in the Senior Bowl practices from what I have read.

Quality of competition is going to be a concern as he was really only productive for one year. He will also need to learn to fight through blocks instead of running around them. You can get away with that stuff at Richmond, but not in the NFL.

The competition level thing is my biggest concern, but I like the fact that he often dominated the competition, so that makes me think he could hack it at the next level. Also - I just like the idea of a depth speed-rusher, and I figure he'll be the best one left on the board post 2nd-round (though it wouldn't shock me if he went very late 2nd or early 3rd before we pick).

Of course, the most likely scenario is that he's not even on the Texans' radar. :gun:

The competition level thing is my biggest concern, but I like the fact that he often dominated the competition, so that makes me think he could hack it at the next level. Also - I just like the idea of a depth speed-rusher, and I figure he'll be the best one left on the board post 2nd-round (though it wouldn't shock me if he went very late 2nd or early 3rd before we pick).

Of course, the most likely scenario is that he's not even on the Texans' radar. :gun:

http://www.drafttek.com/round42009.asp

Has Sid Vicious going in the 4th to the cowgirls. (could not resist on the nickname)

113 Dallas Lawrence Sidbury Jr. OLB34 Richmond -4 Reach

This is a site I like because they do a 7 round mock and their evals seems to be in line with other places.

Highly doubtful. The FO the past few years has been pretty keen on small school guys. Sidbury might just be this year's annual take a flyer on small school guy with our third round pick. I have this sick feeling in my gut that says Babin 2.0 for some reason. Might be unfounded but that's what i am feeling.

http://www.drafttek.com/round42009.asp

Has Sid Vicious going in the 4th to the cowgirls. (could not resist on the nickname)

113 Dallas Lawrence Sidbury Jr. OLB34 Richmond -4 Reach

This is a site I like because they do a 7 round mock and their evals seems to be in line with other places.

Yeah and he's got a guy coming off a shredded knee going to the titians at the 126, at plus eleven. Go figure.

32.) Pittsburgh Steelers Select: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma

Don't know about that one.

Of course, the most likely scenario is that he's not even on the Texans' radar.
:gun:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionn...ichmond-de-lawrence-sidbury-drills-for?blog=2
Drills for skills
By John O’Connor, The Richmond Times-Dispatch
Photo Credit: Dean Hoffmeyer/The Richmond Times-Dispatch
“He had a chance to rush against these tackles that are rated highly,” said UR coach Mike London. “And he goes out and he competes, and he does well against them. I’m hearing from a bunch of scouts that his stock is rising.”

Some scouts believe Sidbury, from Cheltenham, Md., has an NFL future at outside linebacker, though he played defensive end through four seasons as a Spider.

Does it seem silly to you that 35-inch arms and 10½-inch hands are valued so highly by NFL scouts?

Yeah, I mean, you can’t really help how long your arms and fingers are. They do help you though. They work in my favor. I just kind of had them, so I used them, just tried to keep blockers off me with them.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lawrence-sidbury,-jr.?id=71463

Overview

Given the relative success enjoyed this season by Arizona rookie running back Tim Hightower, a former Richmond star, scouts have less anxiety in projecting a standout from the Colonial Athletic Association into the NFL. That can only bode well for Sidbury, a two-time CAA first-team selection whose 11.5 sacks in 2008 helped the Spiders win a national championship. Sidbury lacks the bulk and strength to compete as more than a rotational pass rusher at the next level, but his upfield burst and strong performance in the national championship game against Montana (four sacks) and during the week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game secured his status as a second-day draft pick.

Analysis

Positives: Solidly built athlete with room for additional mass, especially in his upper body. ... Long arms. ... Flashes initial quickness off the snap to pressure the outside. ... Good lateral quickness to redirect back to the inside if he senses the tackle leaning outside. ... Good spin and reverse spin move to clear the offensive tackle quickly. ... Good hand placement and use of leverage to bull rush the tackle into the pocket. ... Can close quickly with an open lane. ... Good effort in pursuit. ... Can break down in space to make the clean open-field tackle. ... Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter. ... Helped himself with a solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game.

Negatives: Lacks the height and bulk in his lower body most teams prefer in a defensive end. ... Marginal strength at the point of attack and can be targeted in the running game. ... Likes to run around blocks in space, rather than take them on and discard. ... Lacks explosiveness off the snap and is often late. ... Enjoyed much of his success while rushing from the left defensive end position and going against the right tackle. ... Inconsistent. ... Tends to make plays in bunches and then disappear for long stretches.

My eyes say Sid will develop into a beast. 4.64/10'/ 4.43 three cone

With the 83rd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select...

Fenuki Tupou - OT, Oregon

71487.jpg

I feel like I did well in this draft considering how the picks came to be. Obviously the Eagles need help with their offensive line, but with the 1st round really heavy early on OT's, I managed to address some other needs on offense. Beanie Wells will complement Brian Westbrook perfectly IMO, and Brandon Pettigrew can be one of the receiving weapons that Donovan McNabb has needed since they got rid of T.O.

In the 2nd and 3rd round, I had to address the OL. Phil Loadholt can replace the aging Jon Runyan, and Fenuki Tupou can bring some much needed depth to the OL.

Thanks guys, this draft was really fun!

Ouch. I like Harris but he is a cover 2 corner and Tampa is changing their defense. I don't think he will fit into the new scheme unless it is going to be similar to the old one.

Well, I guess all or most of their current defense is in the garbage anyway if that's the case. I don't know exactly how a guy who can cover won't fit into any scheme but if you know why this is a bad pick, please share a little more of your information. Harris is somebody who has some skills to learn behind Ronde Barber's last few years and the heir apparent in Aqib Talib.

How can Sidbury have initial quickness off the snap but lack explosiveness?

I believe these draft gurus dont read what they write.

I would like to see this cotinue through the 4th rd. Texans have two picks you know & I'm dying to see who they select :thinking:

I would like to see this cotinue through the 4th rd. Texans have two picks you know & I'm dying to see who they select :thinking:

If it stops , then I say get the ones who are interested and finish it in a night . You , me , KT , and a couple of others to take some teams and we'll finish it in an hour .

Well, I guess all or most of their current defense is in the garbage anyway if that's the case. I don't know exactly how a guy who can cover won't fit into any scheme but if you know why this is a bad pick, please share a little more of your information. Harris is somebody who has some skills to learn behind Ronde Barber's last few years and the heir apparent in Aqib Talib.

I didn't say it was a bad pick. I like Harris a lot.

He is a physical corner who is not afraid to come up against the run and put a hit on somebody.

He is also a little bit tight in the hips and slightly overaggressive when the ball is in the air. That suggests to me that he would be a better player in a cover 2 scheme than in a man coverage scheme.

And apparently, the Bucs won't be running the Cover 2 next year that Monte Kiffin made famous. I said ouch because if they get Harris then that would mean the last two years they got two really good cover 2 corners (Talib), and now they aren't running that defense anymore.

He is a physical corner who is not afraid to come up against the run and put a hit on somebody.

He is also a little bit tight in the hips and slightly overaggressive when the ball is in the air. That suggests to me that he would be a better player in a cover 2 scheme than in a man coverage scheme.

And apparently, the Bucs won't be running the Cover 2 next year that Monte Kiffin made famous. I said ouch because if they get Harris then that would mean the last two years they got two really good cover 2 corners (Talib), and now they aren't running that defense anymore.

It's your pick .

With the 84th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Mock Draft, the Green Bay Packers select:

Herman Johnson - OG, LSU

louisianastate_herman_johnson.jpg

Analysis: I was tempted to go defense again right here but I couldn't pass up Johnson. He is a big mean guard that moves piles. There has also been some draft talk about Johnson being able to play RT because of his arm length. We will bring him into camp, see where he fits, and plug him in.

He may need to lose a little bit more weight as stamina was a factor in college, but Johnson has also been a hard worker with high character so I believe he will do whatever is asked of him.

With the 84th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Mock Draft, the Green Bay Packers select:

Herman Johnson - OG, LSU

louisianastate_herman_johnson.jpg

Analysis: I was tempted to go defense again right here but I couldn't pass up Johnson. He is a big mean guard that moves piles. There has also been some draft talk about Johnson being able to play RT because of his arm length. We will bring him into camp, see where he fits, and plug him in.

He may need to lose a little bit more weight as stamina was a factor in college, but Johnson has also been a hard worker with high character so I believe he will do whatever is asked of him.

He was also the biggest newborn in LA, right???

Yeah. Not that it's a red flag or anything, but he only lifted 225lbs 18 times, I think. You'd think a man of his size would easily throw 225 around more than 18 times.

He also has very long arms. You might need to take that into account when looking at his bench numbers.

He also has very long arms. You might need to take that into account when looking at his bench numbers.

This is true, very true. I still think it's a bit low, but you are correct. Being a knuckle-dragger myself, I can attest to that. :cool:

This is true, very true. I still think it's a bit low, but you are correct. Being a knuckle-dragger myself, I can attest to that. :cool:

I also think it's a bit low, even with the long arms.

But he looks plenty strong on the football field. And that's what really matters.

The Bears select David Bruton Safety Notre Dame.
With Brown being 32 and a free agent, there is a need for some young blood at Safety.
Bruton has 176 tackles,7 interceptions, and 2 forced fumbles as a two year starter. He is also one of the best "gunners" on special teams in college football. He will improve the special teams while learning the pro game as a back up Safety and be ready to play free safety as soon as he gets the system down.

I guess man, you seemed to not like the pick so I was just wondering why. I certainly am not expecting a super stud CB here, I'm looking for a guy with tools to come in and learn behind vets. I suppose I should've researched scheme a little more, I just looked at needs and the value for Harris here seems pretty good to me. Schemes change pretty regularly in the NFL anyway so I assume that players either find a way to adjust and get better or find their way out the door looking for a new job.

Put me down for a 4th round, whether we still do team selections or just pick as a group

Group pick for the Vikings ... anyone . I'll say Dorell Scott .

I'd go with Dorell Scott as a DT or Terrance Taylor b/c he is one of the best run-stopping DTs available. Also, Tyrone McKenzie is a great addittion to there LB corps and they also need a WR, Safety, and CB.

I'm also down for finsihing the mock draft all through 7 rounds.

Group pick for the Vikings ... anyone . I'll say Dorell Scott .

Apparently one of their big needs is an offensive tackle - Phil Loadholt is still on the board. I think Loadholt, or a center as they lost their starter to FA.

My vote would be Loadholt or the best Center available.

EDIT Never mind about Loadholt - I was looking at my big board for a different mock I'm participating in. He's long gone.

I'd go with Dorell Scott as a DT or Terrance Taylor b/c he is one of the best run-stopping DTs available. Also, Tyrone McKenzie is a great addittion to there LB corps and they also need a WR, Safety, and CB.

I'm also down for finsihing the mock draft all through 7 rounds.

I think the Williams tandem may have suspensions coming , that's why I say Scott . The Penn Stae Cadogan is there as an OT .

I guess man, you seemed to not like the pick so I was just wondering why. I certainly am not expecting a super stud CB here, I'm looking for a guy with tools to come in and learn behind vets. I suppose I should've researched scheme a little more, I just looked at needs and the value for Harris here seems pretty good to me. Schemes change pretty regularly in the NFL anyway so I assume that players either find a way to adjust and get better or find their way out the door looking for a new job.

Put me down for a 4th round, whether we still do team selections or just pick as a group

No, I like the pick.

It just sucks that they get Talib and Harris (two good cover 2 CB's) right before they change schemes away from the cover 2.

I'm not saying he won't be successful in a different scheme, I just think he would be better in cover 2.

I don't think we should rush through the Vikes pick just to get to the next - let's make sure we have a mini-consensus.

Dorell Scott makes sense because yeah, at least one of the Williams is like 37.

I think OT would be smart, but I'm not sure Cadogan is the best fit.

I'm cool with Scott.

I don't think we should rush through the Vikes pick just to get to the next - let's make sure we have a mini-consensus.

Dorell Scott makes sense because yeah, at least one of the Williams is like 37.

I think OT would be smart, but I'm not sure Cadogan is the best fit.

I'm cool with Scott.

Scott is the BPA at a need position to me .

This is terrible timing - but I'm up after Earl, but I have to run out. I'll have my Ravens pick this afternoon for sure. I need to do a bit more research.

How about Chris Baker from Hampton, Roy Miller from Texas, or Terrance Knighton from Temple? These are some of the best DTs to take in the third round IMO.

How about Chris Baker from Hampton, Roy Miller from Texas, or Terrance Knighton from Temple? These are some of the best DTs to take in the third round IMO.

I've got Scott rated slightly higher than Chris Baker. I've got Miller and Knighton a bit further down the food chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back