Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Case Keenum - Fan Pulse Check [UPDATE] Rams claim Case on waivers

Barring injuries, what is Keenum's future as a Texan this season?

• Total voters

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Been curious about the fanbase's feelings on Keenum.

Seems to still have some pretty loyal support here.

Barring injury, what do you think his future as a Texan is?

I mean, we'll see. But I think he's going to be cut at some point during this season and we'll never see him in a Texan's uni again.

I'm half expecting him to be gone by game 1.

FWIW, I voted he gets cut when Savage is ready.

I think that the FO would love that to be before the season starts but I think Savage is too raw.

I voted wins league MVP & breaks all franchise passing records, but really he'll only pass the single season passing records. It'll probably take him a couple of years to surpass what Matt racked up.

Unfortunately I haven't really heard any good things based on reading the training camp thread (I may have missed it) ...overall

I have thought from the beginning of this regime shift that TJ and Keenum both would be gone by September.

One down!

There was not an option for Fitzpatrick will get injured for a couple of games, Keenum will play just well enough to keep his hope and change campaign going so Texans fans can continue to spend way too much time talking about an average NFL back-up.

I think he wins the backup role, stays on the the team all year, and starts at some point; but, he will still be fighting for his job this time next year. He's not going to be consistently great or anything. The QBs on this team could switch roles a lot this season.

The little bit that I've read about him in camp, plus his performance last season says he gets beat out by Savage In Training camp and he gets cut by Game 1 . See ya Case I had such High hopes for you.

I'll wait for actual evidence, like preseason performance.

Preseason games tend to make QBs that can extend plays look better.

I like the story potential and think he's a good guy, but I don't think he makes it out of pre-season on the Texans roster.

Wins the backup job, Starts at some point during the season due to Pickspatrick's inadequacy then is cut midsession when/if Savage is ready.

That would be my guess

Likely will be wrong about this, but my prediction is that Savage will sit and learn. Fitzmagic will struggle and somewhere in the final 8 games Keenum will start.

i hate to say it, but the vibe that i'm getting is that keenum isnt showing much at all in camp. if he makes it to the 53 it's most likely as a safeguard. my bet is that we carry 3 quarterbacks because o'brien would rather savage sit a year and/or wouldn't feel comfortable with savage if fitz were to get hurt. it's also still possible that we grab another quarterback through being cut or traded, and drop keenum.

Talk on the radio today was that Keenum looked horrible at today's practice, throwing three picks (one a pick 6) and lots of incompletions.

I still think that Mallet is an option for this staff, and with his start tonight against the Redskins, nothing is out of the question. Mallet and O'Brien have some history together, so who knows.

We'll probably get to see two quarters of him this Saturday, along with a quarter each from the other two. I predict that will be enough to ignite even more fighting amongst ourselves. LOL

It's all going to depend on how he's progressed. He made tremendous strides last camp from his first. If he's still trending like that in this camp, he has a chance to be a good backup/fill in starter on his way to becoming a decent starter in this league. If not, then he may find himself on waivers soon. Only time will tell.

I do know that after 8 games a defined career does not make. If that were the case there's a whole lot of HOF QBs that never would have made it.

keenum was supposed to be cut by all the experts. he's got more experience this year than last and played well last pre-season.

he'll probably look good in pre-season which will make him stay on the roster. having savage as the only backup qb is risky. he's too raw in this stage of the game and O'Brien is going to make sure he is developed.

Back up all year. That's not to say active all year. He might back up the back up and hold the jock of the guy holding the clipboard.

Keenum is fool's gold and the byproduct of an extremely QB friendly system. I say he sticks around as depth, but never more than that. Savage is a rookie and is only a little behind? That's REALLY bad for Keenum IMO.

I voted he'll take over for a few games to jump start the offence. All due respect to other polls, this is one of the better ones.

There's one more possibility, one that might have got my vote: Stays on the roster as a 3rd stringer.

AngryNateFTW, Hervoyel, thunderkyss
subcon.png
, Vance87, xtruroyaltyx

you guys are NUTS
:kitten:

I think the closest thing to certainty is that there will be at least two different starting QBs over the course of the season due strictly to the risk of injury.

Drew Brees sucked while he was with the Chargers which led to them drafting Phillip Rivers. (Technically Eli Manning) Once Rivers got there Brees had an excellent year but the Chargers had already invested in their future and couldn't keep Brees. Am I saying Keenum is going to be Brees? Nope. Nowhere close..at all. Just pointing out that a player can play poorly for a while in this league but still end up having a good/solid career. Brees just ended up having a great one.

There's not much effective difference between a QB drafted in the 4th round and one not drafted. There's a reason Savage wasn't drafted highly, to paraphrase the Keenum critics.

I don't think any of them are worth a damn right now, but I'm curious to see if Keenum or Savage can change that.

There's not much effective difference between a QB drafted in the 4th round and one not drafted. There's a reason Savage wasn't drafted highly, to paraphrase the Keenum critics.

I don't think any of them are worth a damn right now, but I'm curious to see if Keenum or Savage can change that.
Wow!! Want me to go get you a happy meal? :D

I'm in preseason optimism mode and I'm ready to see Fitzmagic go all David Copperfield on Arizona tonight!!:whip::whip::whip:

Drew Brees sucked while he was with the Chargers which led to them drafting Phillip Rivers. (Technically Eli Manning) Once Rivers got there Brees had an excellent year but the Chargers had already invested in their future and couldn't keep Brees. Am I saying Keenum is going to be Brees? Nope. Nowhere close..at all. Just pointing out that a player can play poorly for a while in this league but still end up having a good/solid career. Brees just ended up having a great one.

If Keenum "played horrible" like Brees' time in San Diego, then he would already be named the starter right now and this thread would not even exist.

If Keenum "played horrible" like Brees' time in San Diego, then he would already be named the starter right now and this thread would not even exist.

Brees threw 11 tds to 15 ints the year prior go the Chargers drafting Rivers. No one thought he was the answer at that point.

the one thing that i do is clear cut evidence that keenum probably wont make it in the nfl is his interviews.

he interviews really bad. he interviews as if he was a uneducated wide receiver or nba player straight out of high school:

"you know you know you know you know"

that's probably the biggest indication that he wont make it. he might not have it upstairs.

Brees threw 11 tds to 15 ints the year prior go the Chargers drafting Rivers. No one thought he was the answer at that point.

He put up yardage though and the potential was there. Better than what Keenum has shown, and I'm a Keenum fan. I hope AngryNate is right.

Keenum played better than savage and Fitzpatrick tonight, anyone disagree?

I disagree on Savage as we didn't even get to see him play (seeing how we wasted so much reps and clock watching Pickspatrick suck) we barely even saw Savage play and when Keenum was in, the penalties didn't give him much of a chance either, so in conclusion

The limited time I did see Keenum, I think he was better than Ryan Pickspatrick, however Savage drew a incomplete because he barely played and the Online sucked when he and Keenum finally got in the game.

What I would've rather seen is both Keenum and Savage eat into the wasted reps that the smart Ivy league qb was given.. No way in he'll should he have been given a entire half to fall on his face like he did.

Yes, Keenum was better. he was 3/5 for about 30 yards
with no INT's or sacks.

But it wouldn't have mattered if you had Manning back there.
The o-line pass blocking and entire offensive gameplan was
a dumpster fire.

That's why shitzpatrick threw 2 picks (under pressure) and
Savage got folded into a pretzel for a safety

You're asking if one turd sandwich was better than the other turd sandwich?

How do you even know if the other two are turd sandwiches when we didn't even have enough time to break out the bread? As far as a evaluation process, this game was a complete waste of time regarding both Keenum and Savage... Fitzpatrick, not so much.. He sucks.

Seriously, given the time of possession and penalties, did the other two even play.

Back