Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

YTF's Early Offseason Plan

Thanks for the compliments. I like most of what you said. I think that if we were to move Winston inside (don't recommend it) then we should go the route of a more "RT" type tackle in Andre Smith out of 'Bama.

I was thinking if we were to go Oher, then Oher plays LT, and Brown becomes the RT. But I would not have a problem moving Brown to OG and leaving the slower footed Winston outside.

But that is not where I really want to go, I would rather upgrade the "D".

Last edited:
I hate to have to keep spending high picks on the D but if we change DC's then it looks like we will spend the top 2 picks

As you know YTF I've always liked your stuff. This plan is no different. Keep it up, you obviously have a feel for scouting. Stick to your guns bro.:cowboy1:

I think our weakest positions are RB, OLB, DE, and interior OL. edit: I should add safety.

If we drafted those, in no particular order, in the first 4 picks I would probably be happy.

If we went 1st round RB, we could potentially have a nice duo (with Slaton of course).

I think we really need a big strong SLB who can chase plays down. A guy like Shawn Crable was last year. Don't have many of these guys picked out yet. One guy I've noticed is Nate Irving from NC State. Redshirt Sophomore who does nothing but make plays. VERY impressed with him thus far. I think he has first round pick potential in the future. He won't come out this year but just a guy I have noticed.

YTF show me your top 5 list of OLBs (specifically SLBs) if you got one. I'd be interested to see that list.

It's still early, but this is my top list of guys right now that could play SAM.

Brian Cushing, USC
Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina (could stay in the middle or move to SAM; big boy at almost 270)
Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
Brandon Spikes, Florida RSO
Marcus Freeman, Ohio St

A guy to keep an eye on as a sleeper: Mike Rivera, 6-2, 255, Kansas. He's got the size and experience. I'm not calling for him to be picked, just throwing out my guy.

As much fun as it is to talk about all these different guys being picked for us it will all change come the combine.

Beerlover, I'd quote your post but it's too long. I'm not a huge fan of Foster. I love the USC LBs. I realize Cushing has injury issues, but he is just so damn good. He has the size and speed to cover the TEs and H-Backs that slip out. .

So was Dan Morgan. One thingy for a guy to get injured while on the feild, after you've drafted him. That's just bad football Karma.. Quite another to go drafting trouble out of the gate. If you take this guy better be sure, drop dead sure. The Texans don't have a margin for a miss next year of any sort.

I really like the idea of looking for a SAM in the first round of the draft but the guy I have my eye on is Aaron Curry of Wake. Most mocks I've seen him have him going in the 20s. Dude got 4 picks (3 of them returned for TD) and 3 sacks last year. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57137&draftyear=2009&genpos=OLB

Now it may be just PR for the fans....but they like Diles. I don't like him. Seems a bit slow to me...but the folks on Kirby do. I believe Curry is a candidate.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

And Curry, according to draft count, down projects as a Will on the next level there big guy.

Now it may be just PR for the fans....but they like Diles. I don't like him. Seems a bit slow to me...but the folks on Kirby do. I believe Curry is a candidate.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

And Curry, according to draft count, down projects as a Will on the next level there big guy.

I agree with you about Diles.

Curry could play all 3 LBs in the NFL, but I think he would be a good fit on the strong side.

So was Dan Morgan. One thingy for a guy to get injured while on the feild, after you've drafted him. That's just bad football Karma.. Quite another to go drafting trouble out of the gate. If you take this guy better be sure, drop dead sure. The Texans don't have a margin for a miss next year of any sort.

It is a risk. It's still pretty early. At this point, I'm only looking BPA for our needs. My scouting friends don't cover the West Coast unfortunately. My main guy is the SEC coordinator for the Cowboys.

So, I was thinking about the Texans' offseason last night instead of physiology. I'm going to keep this pretty basic, but I will explain my reasoning and thoughts.

First order of business:
I fire Richard Smith and I tell Kubiak he is on the proverbial "hot seat" for this upcoming season.

I would also fire Smith. I would bring in Marvin Lewis a PROVEN DC.

Secondly, I fire our head of scouting and player development (the lone holdover from C&C) and I hire extra scouts; focus on the SEC. My professor's son is the Chief Player Scout of the SEC for the Cowboys. Anyway, I focus my attention to that conference and the ACC. We should be able to get some of our area scouts out to see some Texas action.

Definatly would fire this guy. He has a proven track record and its not good. I would go after someone with lots of eexperience and a GOOD proven track record.

Next up is FA where I have one focus only: Terrell Suggs. I sign him and put him opposite Mario in a 4-3 base defense. I let Suggs do his thing. I would love to go after Haneysworth, but we can't afford to match what the Falcons are likely to give him, nor should we. I have a solution later.

Im sorry but we cant add ANOTHER explosive, quick-twitch DT like you have suggested. That is the main flaw of this defense now. We need a plugger, someone who demands serious attention that can hold his ground against the run.

I have one focus only also but its not DE. Its DT and its A Haynesworth. There is NO ONE that could help this team more NO ONE! I dont care what he cost because not only is he the best at his position but putting him next to Mario and in front of Ryans takes so much pressure of our 2 best players it cant help but make them even better. We CANT afford to NOT match whatever offer he is given. Also remember DE is the strongest position in the draft.

In the draft, I'm looking to plug some immediate holes. I'm 50/50 on Okam being an NFL starter right now. I tried to keep this as realistic as possible as I have us picking in the 12-16 range next year. I did try to stay as close to BPA as possible as well.

Absolutely this is what the top of the draft is all about. Pluggign holes. But you cant plug a whole at the expense of BPA if said player is significantly better.

1. Brian Cushing, OLB, USC - He has done it all at USC. He can play the SAM position and has the speed to stay with a H-back/TE. He has the size to disengage and the instincts to be at the ball. He has everything you could possibly want; the only knock is a few injuries. Best LB on the team IMO.

This is where I get my DE. Michael Johnson (Georgia Tech) He is just the kind of athelete (6-7, 260 explosive first step) we need opposite Mario. If he is gone Im looking at Ole Miss' Greg Hardy, at 6-foot-4, 265-pound is one of the most explosive defenders in the draft or Indiana's Greg Middleton 6’3”, 275 that led the leauge with 16 sacks last year.

2. Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, LSU, Jr. - Francois is a beast. Plain and simple; BPA. He is a better prospect than Dorsey in terms of what I expect at the next level. Francois is the best DL prospect from LSU, not Tyson Jackson. Francois has great size and really gets off the snap well for his size. He is exceptional at blowing plays up in the backfield. Just witness his bowl game last year. Right now, he is looking like a 2nd rounder though by most accounts.

Second round im looking at stockpiling talent and depth at OL. My 2 top targets are (as of now) Ryan Stanchek, West Virginia - 6-4, 300, SR (LT)
and Greg Isdaner, West Virginia - 6-4, 322, JR ...(G) Keep throwing these type of guys at Gibbs and he will deliver us a top of the line line.

3. Jonathan Luigs, OC, Arkansas - I think it is a push between him and Mack for best OC in the draft. You can also throw in the Oregon OC into that mix, but I really like Luigs because of his ability to consistently create a hole for RB's. He blocked for some great speed backs and should be able to get those holes open quickly for our young group. Also, I would hope he can help with the formation of a more fundamentally sound pocket for our QB.

Well, that is my quick offseason plan. Have at it.

In the third im going after another plugger. Terrence ’Mount’ Cody DT Alabama junior (#62, 6-4, 365), Try and score on that goaline defense.

Since we are adding 2 new DT's into the mix this allows me to trade TJ for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

With the remaining picks Im looking at players that can fit our scheme and play multiple positions. Especially OL and D front 7 Players like OLB/DE Clay Mathews DE USC #47. Mathews has a knack for making big plays and that is something we need desperately. Although I will say right now that Mathews will be a high round pick if he continues to play like he has so far. "in the opener -- six tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries at Virginia -- opened some eyes. As a stand-up pass rusher, Matthews constantly was in the face of Virginia QB Peter Lalich. He also securely tackled ball carriers in space and took on blocks. This could be the third Clay Matthews to suit up in the NFL.".
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57020&draftyear=2009&genpos=OLB

Well thats how I would do it.

Interesting ideas. I still prefer to take a proven commodity at DE instead of a rookie. I expect to see Haynesworth have a notable drop off in production after his final big contract. I don't like him in general either. Also, Johnson hasn't put up numbers like he is capable and the others you mentioned aren't worth where we should be picking. Simply not BPA. I'm sick and tired of adding the "ZBS" interior OL. That is a load of horse-s**t. Good linemen can play in any system within reason. I want better talent than what you threw out there for the second round. I don't value him there at all. I doubt Cody comes out this year, and I doubt when he does that he last until the 3rd.

Interesting ideas. I still prefer to take a proven commodity at DE instead of a rookie. I expect to see Haynesworth have a notable drop off in production after his final big contract. I don't like him in general either.

Of course you dont like him, he doesnt play for the Texans. He is mean and nasty and that would be a welcome trait to this team.

Also, Johnson hasn't put up numbers like he is capable and the others you mentioned aren't worth where we should be picking. Simply not BPA.

That remains to be seen. IMO they all will be 1st round picks. THey are all considered middle first to late forst round picks at this point by most scouting experts.

I'm sick and tired of adding the "ZBS" interior OL. That is a load of horse-s**t. Good linemen can play in any system within reason.

horse-s**t or not you better get used to it because that is the way its going to be. We have a OL coach with a proven track record of turning these type guys into stars and a HC who has alot of respect for him and these ways.

I want better talent than what you threw out there for the second round. I don't value him there at all.

I respect youre opinion but have you even watched these guys play? They are perfect fits for ZBS. If we could get either one later in the draft I would really happy.

I doubt Cody comes out this year, and I doubt when he does that he last until the 3rd.

I bet he does come out but you are right that he probably wont last until the 3rd.

Interesting ideas. I still prefer to take a proven commodity at DE instead of a rookie.

Also I would like to add - The 2 positoins that translate to the NFL the best as far as production is concerned are 1 RB and 2 speed rushing DE. Dont get me wrong I wont be unhappy if we sign Suggss (just the opposite) but tha still wont solve our problem of not being able to stop the run.

Having a plugger also will help Ryans have a longer career. Being an undersized MLB isnt an ideal thing with undersized DT's in front of you.

Thanks for responding.

Also I would like to add - The 2 positoins that translate to the NFL the best as far as production is concerned are 1 RB and 2 speed rushing DE. Dont get me wrong I wont be unhappy if we sign Suggss (just the opposite) but tha still wont solve our problem of not being able to stop the run.

Having a plugger also will help Ryans have a longer career. Being an undersized MLB isnt an ideal thing with undersized DT's in front of you.

Thanks for responding.

I'm not arguing that fact. I realize that a lot of time second day picks can surprise, but I still like the elite talent at DE. I just don't think we have any business going after Haynesworth. We can't match an offer from Atlanta. I won't be upset in the least bit if we land Haynesworth, but I think Suggs is a MUCH, MUCH more realistic option for our team. I think a "plus-sized" NT can be had just as easily the second day or second round (my pick) and won't be expected to contribute nearly as much but will do the same exact thing you want with Haynesworth.

And...thank YOU for responding. :tiphat:

Of course you dont like him, he doesnt play for the Texans. He is mean and nasty and that would be a welcome trait to this team.

That remains to be seen. IMO they all will be 1st round picks. THey are all considered middle first to late forst round picks at this point by most scouting experts.

horse-s**t or not you better get used to it because that is the way its going to be. We have a OL coach with a proven track record of turning these type guys into stars and a HC who has alot of respect for him and these ways.

I respect youre opinion but have you even watched these guys play? They are perfect fits for ZBS. If we could get either one later in the draft I would really happy.

I bet he does come out but you are right that he probably wont last until the 3rd.

I don't like him because his attitude is uncontrollable on the field. I liken him to a larger, faster, stronger Michael Barrett playing football. Not good. Would he help out production wise, yes. Would he be worth the investment, we don't know. He's really come on in the gap between his suspension for stomping a players head and his last big contract, time will tell.

I have watched plenty, plenty of ZBS guys, and I have a stack of tapes (maybe 4? tapes) sitting in my closet of West Virginia games. I was tracking Slaton for a while and I've followed a few guys every now and then as well.

When you say, "you better get used to it because that is the way its going to be." are you quoting Alex Gibbs? A ZBS scheme isn't all about weight. Duke Robinson would be a better ZBS OG than either of the guys you mentioned. Why? He's simply a much better talent. Talent fits any scheme.

Its true that Duke Robinson would be a very heavy ZBS o-lineman.

But just watch him play.

Despite his weight, he still looks like he has all the skills needed to be effective in a ZBS scheme.

But just watch him play.

Despite his weight, he still looks like he has all the skills needed to be effective in a ZBS scheme.

I'm tired of getting players who can only fit the ZBS. I want players who can excel in any system.

Julius Peppers per Rotoworld

So I think he's a FA in 2009. Personally I'd prefer him over Suggs, but he's going to try to get a ton of money, especially if he has a season like his rookie season and not the last one he played.

Aside from your not liking Duane Brown (Which I think has performed way better than most people predicted) most of this plan is spot on. I don't know many of the Safety's coming out of the draft this year, but most of the college football fans that I talk to, liken this draft class to last years. Maybe one really good player and a lot of guys who are boom or bust material. Which means that our linebacking corps could get upgraded in the first round.

I think a guy like Luigs or Mack (but not both) will probably be there in the 2nd round (Might have to trade up to get them though). As far as how I'd like to see the draft priorities break down as such:

1. LB (Can be outside or inside)
2. FS/C
3. C/FS
4. SS
5. OG
6. RB

I think with the emergence of Steve Slaton, that it will drop getting a second running back down to a low priority, and that running back will probably be of the bruiser mold (Hopefully a faster and better pass catching Ron Dayne). I really think that after this season is over that we will really want to concentrate our offseason efforts into shoring up the defense, and that would start with the DC and work it's way down. Maybe pick up somebody like Chris Gamble for your safety needs in FA if you're not sold on the draft class this year. Try to find somebody who can provide decent pass rushing opportunities (Although I think that Okoye will prove himself worthy before the end of the season) with either FA or the Draft (I'm leaning FA although that is a scary proposition with how we've handled FA in the past few years).

Honestly it seems as though the top concerns about the offense coming into this season have subsided with the decent play of the rookies Brown and Slaton. This bumps offensive needs down a little unless Matt Schaubs glass jaw comes back to stick us. I think our interior line play is probably going to be solved by Alex Gibbs, especially with the push he's now getting with the line. If the Texans can produce a 100 yard rusher vs the top rated run defense in the league (As of Week 5) then I think that will also have to bump the priority down a bit.

To me, I'm looking at not a full defensive overhaul, but a definite clearing out of players and coaches who are not earning their money. I think the real problem will be finding a DC who is worth his weight more than finding the players.

EDIT: OR you could just say "Screw it" and draft Michael Crabtree because holy hell that would be awesome.

Last edited:

But just watch him play.

This is where I get my DE. Michael Johnson (Georgia Tech) He is just the kind of athelete (6-7, 260 explosive first step) we need opposite Mario. If he is gone Im looking at Ole Miss' Greg Hardy, at 6-foot-4, 265-pound is one of the most explosive defenders in the draft or Indiana's Greg Middleton 6’3”, 275 that led the leauge with 16 sacks last year.

The biggest thing that is killing us right now is no one can hold the corner on that side. Robinson's not there and the rumor that Weaver can do it has yet to be realized this season. Orokpo is at 5.5 sacks this season. He is currently 265 and climbing. Started out as a will/Db tweener and his body has exploded.

I'm buying what this guy will be two years from now. If he is there after they've indulged themselves with what ever round one...I spend draft capitol move up and go get Brian Orakpo at the top of the second.

The biggest thing that is killing us right now is no one can hold the corner on that side. Robinson's not there and the rumor that Weaver can do it has yet to be realized this season. Orokpo is at 5.5 sacks this season. He is currently 265 and climbing. Started out as a will/Db tweener and his body has exploded.

I'm buying what this guy will be two years from now. If he is there after they've indulged themselves with what ever round one...I spend draft capitol move up and go get Brian Orakpo at the top of the second.

You are preaching to the choir on this one.

I would love to have Orakpo opposite Mario.

I'm tired of getting players who can only fit the ZBS. I want players who can excel in any system.

After watching the OU line play with Baylor this morning like a cat playing with a mouse....I think Robinson can swing to the tackle spot....will see next week if they paw the horns like they batted around the bears today. There's not an once of fat on the guy. Robinson's just a big man. There's that little prima dona thingy that Gibbs gets hung up on. He runs 5.2 or above....not a ZBS guy. Not a NFL tackle.

If we came away with a Will who can run and makes plays....Orakpo and then one of the centers this draft or Ulatoski....that'd be a pretty good draft.

1. Will LB
2. DE Orakpo
3. Interior competion: Ligus , Max Unger,Oregon ,Caldwell, Wood, Ulatoski
4. RB: Darrell Mack Utah, Luke Lippencott, Nevada, Micah Andrews Wake
5. DB/Cb prspect: Brandon King Purdue
6. Chase Daniels
7. Special teams guy: Clay Matthews, 6-3, 240, Southern California (DE),Ben Maljovec, 6-3, 223, Syracuse (LB/ST)

Last edited:
I would also fire Smith. I would bring in Marvin Lewis a PROVEN DC.

Definatly would fire this guy. He has a proven track record and its not good. I would go after someone with lots of eexperience and a GOOD proven track record.

Im sorry but we cant add ANOTHER explosive, quick-twitch DT like you have suggested. That is the main flaw of this defense now. We need a plugger, someone who demands serious attention that can hold his ground against the run.

I have one focus only also but its not DE. Its DT and its A Haynesworth. There is NO ONE that could help this team more NO ONE! I dont care what he cost because not only is he the best at his position but putting him next to Mario and in front of Ryans takes so much pressure of our 2 best players it cant help but make them even better. We CANT afford to NOT match whatever offer he is given. Also remember DE is the strongest position in the draft.

Absolutely this is what the top of the draft is all about. Pluggign holes. But you cant plug a whole at the expense of BPA if said player is significantly better.

Second round im looking at stockpiling talent and depth at OL. My 2 top targets are (as of now) Ryan Stanchek, West Virginia - 6-4, 300, SR (LT)
and Greg Isdaner, West Virginia - 6-4, 322, JR ...(G) Keep throwing these type of guys at Gibbs and he will deliver us a top of the line line.

In the third im going after another plugger. Terrence ’Mount’ Cody DT Alabama junior (#62, 6-4, 365), Try and score on that goaline defense.

Since we are adding 2 new DT's into the mix this allows me to trade TJ for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

With the remaining picks Im looking at players that can fit our scheme and play multiple positions. Especially OL and D front 7 Players like OLB/DE Clay Mathews DE USC #47. Mathews has a knack for making big plays and that is something we need desperately. Although I will say right now that Mathews will be a high round pick if he continues to play like he has so far. "in the opener -- six tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries at Virginia -- opened some eyes. As a stand-up pass rusher, Matthews constantly was in the face of Virginia QB Peter Lalich. He also securely tackled ball carriers in space and took on blocks. This could be the third Clay Matthews to suit up in the NFL.".
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57020&draftyear=2009&genpos=OLB

Well thats how I would do it.

Change of plans. Draft part anyways.

1.) Im going after Rey Maualuga (USC). With him and Haynesworth in the middle teams will be punting on 4th and short rather than going for it and making it.

2.) Some of you pointed out Brian Orakpo (Texas) Sounds good lets do it.

3.) Donald Brown Running back Connecticut Huskies Height: 5-10 Weight: 208 after watching this guy run on NC's very good D Im sold. He will be another 3rd round steal and give us a great RB combo.

4.) Here and later nothings changed, Im looking to add depth on the OL and add players that produced in college and that can play multiple positions. Players like Mathews

I'd like to turn some of yall onto Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest. He is roughly 5'9, but man can this kid play. I think he has a chance to slip to the second-third range.

Also, take notice of Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky. He really had a good game against Julio Jones (the top WR in the nation and the best looking WR I've seen since AJ in college; you will hear me mention his name A LOT more until his is eligible. If draft class were the same, I take him over Crabtree without blinking.) With that said, Lindley has been having a good season. I think he has 1st round potential this year, but for sure next year if he comes back. I think he could slide to the middle of the second, but could jump to the middle of the first as well. Depends on workouts.

I love Lindley, but he can't weigh more than 175.

He needs some more muscle so I think he stays another year.

I'd like to turn some of yall onto Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest. He is roughly 5'9, but man can this kid play. I think he has a chance to slip to the second-third range.

Yea, this guy is a really good football player. I think he goes late first round early second round.

He has 13 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 INTs, and 6 pass breakups through 4 games this year. Last year he had 44 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 8 interceptions, 10 pass breakups, 4 forced fumbles, and 1 blocked kick. In 2006 he had 48 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 3 interceptions, 8 pass breakups, 1 forced fumbled, 1 blocked kick.

He can do it all. He's always in the right position and he is a playmaker. He reminds me of a Ed Reed from the cornerback position. Brings the same kind of attitude and style of play.

I love Lindley, but he can't weigh more than 175.

He needs some more muscle so I think he stays another year.

Yeah, I threw out there that if he does come back to UK that he is most likely the top CB for the next year. His body hasn't peaked, which is what will keep his stock high. Often with CB's their bodies are as ready as they are going to be, thus their stock peaks, and they becomes more the "flavor of the month". See examples with: Antoine Cason and Mike Jenkins.

Yeah, I threw out there that if he does come back to UK that he is most likely the top CB for the next year. His body hasn't peaked, which is what will keep his stock high. Often with CB's their bodies are as ready as they are going to be, thus their stock peaks, and they becomes more the "flavor of the month". See examples with: Antoine Cason and Mike Jenkins.

I see the Jenkins example but I wouldn't throw Cason in the "flavor of the month" category. He had three or four years of solid production at Arizona before he went pro.

I see the Jenkins example but I wouldn't throw Cason in the "flavor of the month" category. He had three or four years of solid production at Arizona before he went pro.

I meant come draft day. He was the top returning CB but his body was maxed out and his measurables were NFL ready. There was no "physical" improvements to be made to help his stock, only a much more critical body of work with a target on his back, thus making him more the "flavor of the month" because the "top" CB was a revolving list.

I meant come draft day. He was the top returning CB but his body was maxed out and his measurables were NFL ready. There was no "physical" improvements to be made to help his stock, only a much more critical body of work with a target on his back, thus making him more the "flavor of the month" because the "top" CB was a revolving list.

Ok. I get you now.

Yeah we're on the same page on that one.

Yea, this guy is a really good football player. I think he goes late first round early second round.

He has 13 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 INTs, and 6 pass breakups through 4 games this year. Last year he had 44 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 8 interceptions, 10 pass breakups, 4 forced fumbles, and 1 blocked kick. In 2006 he had 48 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 3 interceptions, 8 pass breakups, 1 forced fumbled, 1 blocked kick.

He can do it all. He's always in the right position and he is a playmaker. He reminds me of a Ed Reed from the cornerback position. Brings the same kind of attitude and style of play.

His size will hold him out of the first round. You have to remember that teams are still heavily influenced at the combine. He doesn't have the measurables of traditional first round CBs. His stats will bump him up some, but I'm going to stick to a mid-second to mid-third grade for him, and yes, I would take a long look at him there.

Julius Peppers per Rotoworld

So I think he's a FA in 2009. Personally I'd prefer him over Suggs, but he's going to try to get a ton of money, especially if he has a season like his rookie season and not the last one he played.

Aside from your not liking Duane Brown (Which I think has performed way better than most people predicted) most of this plan is spot on. I don't know many of the Safety's coming out of the draft this year, but most of the college football fans that I talk to, liken this draft class to last years. Maybe one really good player and a lot of guys who are boom or bust material. Which means that our linebacking corps could get upgraded in the first round.

I think a guy like Luigs or Mack (but not both) will probably be there in the 2nd round (Might have to trade up to get them though). As far as how I'd like to see the draft priorities break down as such:

1. LB (Can be outside or inside)
2. FS/C
3. C/FS
4. SS
5. OG
6. RB

I think with the emergence of Steve Slaton, that it will drop getting a second running back down to a low priority, and that running back will probably be of the bruiser mold (Hopefully a faster and better pass catching Ron Dayne). I really think that after this season is over that we will really want to concentrate our offseason efforts into shoring up the defense, and that would start with the DC and work it's way down. Maybe pick up somebody like Chris Gamble for your safety needs in FA if you're not sold on the draft class this year. Try to find somebody who can provide decent pass rushing opportunities (Although I think that Okoye will prove himself worthy before the end of the season) with either FA or the Draft (I'm leaning FA although that is a scary proposition with how we've handled FA in the past few years).

Honestly it seems as though the top concerns about the offense coming into this season have subsided with the decent play of the rookies Brown and Slaton. This bumps offensive needs down a little unless Matt Schaubs glass jaw comes back to stick us. I think our interior line play is probably going to be solved by Alex Gibbs, especially with the push he's now getting with the line. If the Texans can produce a 100 yard rusher vs the top rated run defense in the league (As of Week 5) then I think that will also have to bump the priority down a bit.

To me, I'm looking at not a full defensive overhaul, but a definite clearing out of players and coaches who are not earning their money. I think the real problem will be finding a DC who is worth his weight more than finding the players.

EDIT: OR you could just say "Screw it" and draft Michael Crabtree because holy hell that would be awesome.

Peppers scares me a bit. His production simply hasn't been there recently. I think his past success will out-price him for us, but his current level of play would be a great match for what we should be offering. However, I feel that Suggs is the best pass-rushing DE available for the money.

I just don't like Duane Brown. I'll eat crow if I ever have to, but he has never played well at the LT spot, college included. I think he was a reach and we've been fed BS to save face for their positional reach. I don't buy it, and haven't since draft day. However, that is my prerogative and you can buy into that or not. I'm well aware that we won't be going OT in the first round this year, which is unfortunate, because with where we should be picking, some actual "elite" type OTs will be available. However, Duane will need help as will our revolving door of undersized and weak Cs. Pitts is solid, but he isn't good enough to make up the difference in that lack of size and talent. Will Duane ever be good enough to be a top quarter of the NFL LT? I really doubt it. My solution? Put a top quarter of the NFL OG next to him and cover his short-comings. The interior of both our lines is what needs the most work. OG/C and not a "swing" guy and a NT. I think NT can be filled later with just a girth guy (if Okam doesn't show the potential). I think we should go OG (D. Robinson) FS (Moore, Mizzu) and then C (maybe Caldwell, Alabama?).

I just don't like Duane Brown. I'll eat crow if I ever have to, but he has never played well at the LT spot, college included. I think he was a reach and we've been fed BS to save face for their positional reach. I don't buy it, and haven't since draft day. However, that is my prerogative and you can buy into that or not. I'm well aware that we won't be going OT in the first round this year, which is unfortunate, because with where we should be picking, some actual "elite" type OTs will be available. However, Duane will need help as will our revolving door of undersized and weak Cs. Pitts is solid, but he isn't good enough to make up the difference in that lack of size and talent. Will Duane ever be good enough to be a top quarter of the NFL LT? I really doubt it. My solution? Put a top quarter of the NFL OG next to him and cover his short-comings. The interior of both our lines is what needs the most work. OG/C and not a "swing" guy and a NT. I think NT can be filled later with just a girth guy (if Okam doesn't show the potential). I think we should go OG (D. Robinson) FS (Moore, Mizzu) and then C (maybe Caldwell, Alabama?).

your talking big bucks via free agency or another 1st rd. pick (would love to get Andre Smith, Alabama) so I just don't see it nor think its required, more ways than one to skin a cat so to speak :aikido:

I think the scenero of a FS like Moore is more probable :photos:

your talking big bucks via free agency or another 1st rd. pick (would love to get Andre Smith, Alabama) so I just don't see it nor think its required, more ways than one to skin a cat so to speak :aikido:

I think the scenero of a FS like Moore is more probable :photos:

I don't think Suggs will "break the bank", and he is an UFA, meaning he won't cost us any picks. Peppers, I believe is a RFA and would cost us picks and most likely have to involve a trade with the Panthers. I love Smith, I was hyping him midway through his true freshman year, and there should be archived quotes with me on that. I agree there are more than one way to skin a cat, but I don't think we as a franchise can afford the PR of going DL again in the 1st round with an unproven rookie. I'd rather spend a little less in FA and get the proven talent with a little less friendly contract (outs). I think DE is an available position to upgrade before the draft, while a potential-premier FS is NEVER available in FA. I think DE production is easier to get than FS production, regardless of how the player is acquired.

I don't think Suggs will "break the bank", and he is an UFA, meaning he won't cost us any picks. Peppers, I believe is a RFA and would cost us picks and most likely have to involve a trade with the Panthers. I love Smith, I was hyping him midway through his true freshman year, and there should be archived quotes with me on that. I agree there are more than one way to skin a cat, but I don't think we as a franchise can afford the PR of going DL again in the 1st round with an unproven rookie. I'd rather spend a little less in FA and get the proven talent with a little less friendly contract (outs). I think DE is an available position to upgrade before the draft, while a potential-premier FS is NEVER available in FA. I think DE production is easier to get than FS production, regardless of how the player is acquired.

Suggs will get alot of money! Thankfully the texans finally have money to spend.

Amen

Mr. McNair needs to spend the money on Hanesworth. Then we can draft a will lb (Cushing) Then draft CB/S V. Harris.

Hanesworth is a more likely target then peppers and suggs in my opinion and takeing away a key player from the titans sounds awesome!:texflag:

Hanesworth is a more likely target then peppers and suggs in my opinion and takeing away a key player from the titans sounds awesome!:texflag:

I don't think Peppers is a "target", nor should he be for what he will command in terms of picks vs. production. I will also sport any avatar of your choice for a full week if Haynesworth is a "target" of the Texans. Be honest. I think he has another season or two in him, and that is seriously questionable after his last fat contract. His play really spiked between his suspension or stomping a players head and this upcoming contract; essentially, he realizes that he f'ed up and needed to play well to get a contract. I don't think that will continue, nor by any means do I think the Texans will go after him. I think Suggs is the most likely target of the three.

Suggs will command money there is no doubt about it. He will be targeted by almost all teams in need of a DE or DE/OLB. PR is none existent for this team so if we went DL again the the first it wouldnt make a difference and I think people expect it. We could pull a Jax and go for DE and DT in the first two rounds and shore up that crappy line and then go FS/SS and OLB. Now say we do get Suggs which I would freaking love then we could still be going safety/DT in the first. Gibbs will pick the OL guys and since we run a smaller OL that will leave us with guys we need that other teams don't. I dont see us wasting a 1st pick on another OL player I just cant.

I don't think Peppers is a "target", nor should he be for what he will command in terms of picks vs. production. I will also sport any avatar of your choice for a full week if Haynesworth is a "target" of the Texans. Be honest. I think he has another season or two in him, and that is seriously questionable after his last fat contract. His play really spiked between his suspension or stomping a players head and this upcoming contract; essentially, he realizes that he f'ed up and needed to play well to get a contract. I don't think that will continue, nor by any means do I think the Texans will go after him. I think Suggs is the most likely target of the three.

I think you have Haynesworth pegged all wrong. He has his head on straight now and has matured alot since the "head stomping" incident. He has a small child now and seems to have things in proper prospective. The guy plays hard all the time now and hasnt been in any trouble since that incident. Dont really understand why you are so down on him.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that the texans will not go after suggs or peppers. The reason I say this is that its just entirely to much money invested in the front four. These two players are going to want 80 million dollar deals with 35 something million guaranteed. The texans cannot afford to give that much money to one player while still paying mario williams. The two players I see the texans looking at karlos dansby and bart scott.

I thought the Cards just Resigned Dansby to a new deal ? If they do go after a big name free agent DL...someone already here will have to take a big cut. What's Peppers now 29 ? We're going down the Green...insert your own former Texans OT- DE here, road again ? The thirty something line is real and you mess with it at your own peril.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/27/cards.dansby/index.html

"Karlos is a valued player and he's recognized as being one of our core players," general manager Rod Graves said on Thursday. "It's our intent to do everything we can to try to keep him here."

If Dansby gets the exclusive franchise tag, he would have no choice but to remain under contract with Arizona. He would receive the average one-year salary of the five highest-paid linebackers in the league. Last season, that was $7.2 million.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that the texans will not go after suggs or peppers. The reason I say this is that its just entirely to much money invested in the front four. These two players are going to want 80 million dollar deals with 35 something million guaranteed. The texans cannot afford to give that much money to one player while still paying mario williams. The two players I see the texans looking at karlos dansby and bart scott.

I just don't see Suggs getting that level of money. I see him in the mid 50-million range with roughly 20 million guaranteed.

scratch #8 Ryan Reynolds. Hurt his knee again in the red river shoot out. I don't know the extent but out of the season doesn't sound very promising.

scratch #8 Ryan Reynolds. Hurt his knee again in the red river shoot out. I don't know the extent but out of the season doesn't sound very promising.

I've heard that it is another ACL tear.

That would be three years in a row. How unlucky can you get?

Good luck to the young man. He's a hell of a football player. Someone will take a chance on him & I hope he can make the best of it.

Selvie is a hell of a talent.

But its becoming increasingly obvious to me that Orakpo is the best pass rushing end in the draft.

6 tackles (4 TFL), 2 sacks, & 1 FF going up against one of the top OT's in the country.

For the year, he has 23 tackles, 10 TFL, 7.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, & 6 QB hurries.

-3rd in the country in sacks
-2nd in the country in forced fumbles
-9th in the country in tackles for loss

Selvie is a hell of a talent.

But its becoming increasingly obvious to me that Orakpo is the best pass rushing end in the draft.

6 tackles (4 TFL), 2 sacks, & 1 FF going up against one of the top OT's in the country.

For the year, he has 23 tackles, 10 TFL, 7.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, & 6 QB hurries.

-3rd in the country in sacks
-2nd in the country in forced fumbles
-9th in the country in tackles for loss

Yea, he was dominating in that game. I still stick by my comment about taking a play or two off. Either way, the guy is a good player.

He looked like a freaking beast yesterday and was tearing it up. I would love to have him on this team but he could get snatched up before we get a chance to pick.

I just don't see Suggs getting that level of money. I see him in the mid 50-million range with roughly 20 million guaranteed.

At that range he'd be one of the least paid paid players at his position and he's an elite talent. Teams will be willing to unload the bank because he's only 25

Julio Jones (the top WR in the nation and the best looking WR I've seen since AJ in college;

I guess you forgot about Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. Both were better looking prospects than AJ IMO. You could argue that Larry Fitzgerald was also because of his hands.

Back