Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

YTF's Early Offseason Plan

So, I was thinking about the Texans' offseason last night instead of physiology. I'm going to keep this pretty basic, but I will explain my reasoning and thoughts.

First order of business:
I fire Richard Smith and I tell Kubiak he is on the proverbial "hot seat" for this upcoming season.

Secondly, I fire our head of scouting and player development (the lone holdover from C&C) and I hire extra scouts; focus on the SEC. My professor's son is the Chief Player Scout of the SEC for the Cowboys. Anyway, I focus my attention to that conference and the ACC. We should be able to get some of our area scouts out to see some Texas action.

Next up is FA where I have one focus only: Terrell Suggs. I sign him and put him opposite Mario in a 4-3 base defense. I let Suggs do his thing. I would love to go after Haneysworth, but we can't afford to match what the Falcons are likely to give him, nor should we. I have a solution later.

In the draft, I'm looking to plug some immediate holes. I'm 50/50 on Okam being an NFL starter right now. I tried to keep this as realistic as possible as I have us picking in the 12-16 range next year. I did try to stay as close to BPA as possible as well.

1. Brian Cushing, OLB, USC - He has done it all at USC. He can play the SAM position and has the speed to stay with a H-back/TE. He has the size to disengage and the instincts to be at the ball. He has everything you could possibly want; the only knock is a few injuries. Best LB on the team IMO.

2. Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, LSU, Jr. - Francois is a beast. Plain and simple; BPA. He is a better prospect than Dorsey in terms of what I expect at the next level. Francois is the best DL prospect from LSU, not Tyson Jackson. Francois has great size and really gets off the snap well for his size. He is exceptional at blowing plays up in the backfield. Just witness his bowl game last year. Right now, he is looking like a 2nd rounder though by most accounts.

3. Jonathan Luigs, OC, Arkansas - I think it is a push between him and Mack for best OC in the draft. You can also throw in the Oregon OC into that mix, but I really like Luigs because of his ability to consistently create a hole for RB's. He blocked for some great speed backs and should be able to get those holes open quickly for our young group. Also, I would hope he can help with the formation of a more fundamentally sound pocket for our QB.

Well, that is my quick offseason plan. Have at it.

I don't know the players, but I like it. I wouldn't put pressure on Kubes, though; although, I might keep a real interested eye on who he chooses as DC from now on.

I have a theory that football teams do not actually need HCs. They need an OC, a DC, and a STC. The rest could be up to the GM. Kubiak would just be our highly paid OC. All decisions during the game would be made based on what part of the team is on the field, keeping the whole team in mind (or it's your butt).

I don't know the players, but I like it. I wouldn't put pressure on Kubes, though; although, I might keep a real interested eye on who he chooses as DC from now on.

I have a theory that football teams do not actually need HCs. They need an OC, a DC, and a STC. The rest could be up to the GM. Kubiak would just be our highly paid OC. All decisions during the game would be made based on what part of the team is on the field, keeping the whole team in mind (or it's your butt).

I think there needs to be a distinct leader of those coordinators. I think Kubiak should be on a leash, mostly for his coaching staff. We have a 28 year old OC and a proven worthless DC. I'm not knocking on little Shanny because he hasn't had a chance, but I don't think Kubiak is/was in a position to appoint a 28 y/o to run our offense. I think Richard Smith is limited, both in what he can do as well as what he has been given. I think our LB play is really holding us back. They are the part of the front and back 7, either way you want to term it. Everyone thinks we need to fix a particular "7" on defense, but only want to focus on the DL or DB. I want to upgrade our LBs and let Frank Bush rip them a new arse. I still believe that Brown was a reach pick to appease the fans simply from a positional standpoint, regardless of how much BS the FO pumps us. He was clearly not BPA, and clearly not a better OT than the guys available this year. If a lot of crappy teams upgraded their OTs last year, the need for an OT goes down. Most of the crappy teams from last year are back to their old ways again this year. I think we need to work on our interior OL since we can't go OT 2 years in a row with Winston's extension. I really like Duke Robinson from OU. He is a top 10 player overall to me. He is somewhat similar to Brandon Albert last year, but he is bigger and hella meaner. He's got Lenord Davis type size, but Albert type feet. There are early indications and rumors from some of my scouting friends that he has the potential to slide outside to LT. However, the general consensus is that he is an All-Pro virtual lock at OG. If we miss on OLB in the 1st, I'd be jumping up and down to pick The Duke of Robinson.

Nothing else? I know it's early in the season, but c'mon guys and gals. I'm looking for any and all feedback about this or anything I've put out there recently.

People don't want to think today. They want to gripe and argue. We're 2 embarrassments to nothing and it's just all gonna be about fire so and so and fire that other guy too.

Having said that, fire Richard Smith! :)

People don't want to think today. They want to gripe and argue. We're 2 embarrassments to nothing and it's just all gonna be about fire so and so and fire that other guy too.

Having said that, fire Richard Smith! :)

While I do agree changes need to be made, college football season is upon us and we are getting into conference games now. This is where some players have separated themselves and deserve a closer look. It's time to get involved with the NFL draft process. I love this time of year. Gripe all yall want, but it's a win-win scouting college football games!!

My first order of business in the offseason? Hire YTF to help counsel Rick Smith.:hmmm:

I'm a big fan of getting us some all pro guards and hope that the Brown/Winston tandem works out. That would do wonders for our team. I don't think Myers is safe at C, at least from what I've seen. I wonder if he would be better suited at G.

I'm hoping for a pass rushing DE, a stud DT to take blockers off Amobi, Mario and our other pass rusher, an OLB, and a Safety that can Cover. I'm also hoping for a great Guard, possibly a Center, a workhorse to pair with Slaton.

That's still too much to do in one offseason, but I like what you've suggested YTF.

While I do agree changes need to be made, college football season is upon us and we are getting into conference games now. This is where some players have separated themselves and deserve a closer look. It's time to get involved with the NFL draft process. I love this time of year. Gripe all yall want, but it's a win-win scouting college football games!!

I'd love to line up 325lb guards who can move a pile . If you can find them then maybe the tackles will be fine . I don't watch game film or reruns to see how our guards and center are doing . So I'll ask how is Pitts ... the lone holdover of the time honored tradition of bad offensive line play ... doing ? As my coaches in highschool used to say ... they could'nt knock a sick who@$ off a pi#$#$% pot .

On defense ... if you have undersized LBs they better be alot quicker than our undersized LBs . CC is not tackling very well and Demps is slow . The CBs need help and besides Mario we don't have a DL who's playing well at all .

My first order of business in the offseason? Hire YTF to help counsel Rick Smith.:hmmm:

I'm a big fan of getting us some all pro guards and hope that the Brown/Winston tandem works out. That would do wonders for our team. I don't think Myers is safe at C, at least from what I've seen. I wonder if he would be better suited at G.

I'm hoping for a pass rushing DE, a stud DT to take blockers off Amobi, Mario and our other pass rusher, an OLB, and a Safety that can Cover. I'm also hoping for a great Guard, possibly a Center, a workhorse to pair with Slaton.

That's still too much to do in one offseason, but I like what you've suggested YTF.

I'm working on my degree in Sports Management and am working on securing an internship with the Texans that isn't something like Marketing.

Duke Robinson would be that 325lb OG (335 actually) that you are wanting. I think maybe a Geno Atkins or a Sen'Darik (too lazy to look up spellings) would be a suitable DT to plug in to our line. Maybe even a 385lb juco transfer to 'Bama that I've thrown out there?

On defense ... if you have undersized LBs they better be alot quicker than our undersized LBs . CC is not tackling very well and Demps is slow . The CBs need help and besides Mario we don't have a DL who's playing well at all .

I really want to see Adibi play. I think Blackmon could be a possible WILL, but I really would be pleased to land Cushing from USC to secure the OLB spot for our team.

Jesus, if I ran this team, I'd be trading vets for draft picks all the time and trading those picks for better picks. Within reason of course. I love the draft.

I really want to see Adibi play. I think Blackmon could be a possible WILL, but I really would be pleased to land Cushing from USC to secure the OLB spot for our team.

Jesus, if I ran this team, I'd be trading vets for draft picks all the time and trading those picks for better picks. Within reason of course. I love the draft.

I think the 2005 draft set us back a couple of years . You'll have to promise to do better .

Good call on Suggs. I'd also look into Asomugha, the cb in Oakland.

And I'll pass on Cushing. Guy is just hurt too much. If we go OLB, I'd look at Freeman or Sintim. Who knows, maybe we'll be in position to draft Maualuga.

I'm working on my degree in Sports Management and am working on securing an internship with the Texans that isn't something like Marketing.
awesome...keep it up and too bad you don't want in marketing, because it means you will have to work for a different team other than the Texans of course. You can't quote me on this personally, but someone in the front office once told me that the Texans are a marketing company with a football division. Don't shoot the messenger. :gun:

awesome...keep it up and too bad you don't want in marketing, because it means you will have to work for a different team other than the Texans of course. You can't quote me on this personally, but someone in the front office once told me that the Texans are a marketing company with a football division. Don't shoot the messenger. :gun:

That is interesting to note. I'm a double major actually with sports management being only one degree. I'm also a business student, management as of now, but I'm thinking about accounting. I'm trying get into the player management/development side of the organization. One of my buddies that I worked out with this summer has a fiance in Ticket Sales or Marketing department.

Yeah, I feel much better now. :gun:

That is interesting to note. I'm a double major actually with sports management being only one degree. I'm also a business student, management as of now, but I'm thinking about accounting. I'm trying get into the player management/development side of the organization. One of my buddies that I worked out with this summer has a fiance in Ticket Sales or Marketing department.
I was being a bit sarcastic...but even the people in the FO all seem to think the team is a bit too marketing focused sometimes themselves. It's a good thing they do something well in any case..... I just wish they were better on the field than off.

Go to the .com and apply for an internship.

College Credit Internship Opportunities (Spring 2009) - Houston Texans (Houston, TX)

The Houston Texans are looking for new teammates that subscribe to our core ideals such as character, hard work, discipline and teamwork. We are currently seeking candidates to fill several Spring College Credit Internship opportunities we have available in the following departments:

* Human Resources
* Promotions
* Lone Star Sports & Entertainment

We are looking for candidates who:

* Are able to commit to a full-time work schedule (8:30 am - 5:30 pm) from January 2, 2009 through May 29, 2009
* Are required to work 350 hours to receive college credit
* Have a passion to work in the sports industry
* Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
* Can make an impact on the Houston Texans organization
* Are proficient in Microsoft office software applications

I was being a bit sarcastic...but even the people in the FO all seem to think the team is a bit too marketing focused sometimes themselves. It's a good thing they do something well in any case..... I just wish they were better on the field than off.

Oh boy . :gun:

Jerrah does everything under the sun to make his team a Super Bowl champion ... why ... cause he's trying to make his team the biggest sports franchise on the planet . Jerrah loves the limelight like being on HBO , Deion Sanders , Jessica Simpson , TO trying to kill himself , letting us draft Vernon Morency instead of Marion Barber it goes on and on .

What are we trying to do put QBs on BMW billboards . You only have to market a loser in Houston and we're getting wise to that after seven years .

I am glad you posted this stuff because I got pissed yesterday and decided to see who the Texans could get in the off season and Suggs was one of the first names that came to mind. I still like Vance Walker from Georgia Tech as a 3-4 rnd DT

Ok, here's my go at an offseason plan.

Fire Richard Smith and go for Ron Rivera or anyone who has been successful this decade. I'll go with firing the Scouting guy as well, might as well.

Free agent would be OLB Karlos Dansdy and and if we have the money Suggs, or Lee Evans.

Draft would be the Safety William Moore from Mizzou in the first and any interior offensive linemen that Alex Gibbs approves of and any big interior defensive linemen.
(I even considered getting MLB Rey Maualuga and moving Demeco to WLB.)

I think that would fill a few holes we have, but its not complete by far.

Good post.

I agree on trying to get Suggs, probably won't because we know that Kubes and Smith wouldn't spend huge money on big name players.

I do think we need a athletic freak at SLB.

I think we will be fine with Adibi at WLB and Okam/Okoye at DT. Z had some good things to say about Okam yesterday, maybe we should look into having Okam and Johnson start... until Okoye can get back into his groove we saw early last season.

We do need C/RG. Maybe we should forget the whole ZBS with small linemens. Get big, athletic linemen up front.

My draft needs for this year:

1-DE.... Could be QB.
2-FS
3-SLB
4-OG/C
5-RB or OG/C
6-RB or OG/C
7-BPA

oh and good luck on your intern thing. don't forget to give us some inside info if you get a position thats big in the organization. :)

Here's a Murphy's law scenerio .

Michael Oher is there at ___ when we pick . What do you do ?

easy for me... big mike is the name im writing on the card as im running towards to podium. im not biased though :) but with oher i think we have ourselves a franchise lt and/or an all pro guard. versatility is important as a t/g or a g/c combo. oher is better at pass blocking and run blocking than anyone on our team.

ol mike oher and de michael johnson are my two early favorites for our first rd pick. calais cambell was a top 5 lock at this point last season, so you never know. after that, ytf has me high on george duke robinson for a guard. saw saw highlight clips of him pass and run blocking. he would instantly start over pitts or brisiel. after them i love s william moore. ive committed myself to fixing our trenches and then going after the "skill" positions.

ytf, best of luck with the internship. your very knowledgeable when it comes to college to pro transition. i hope you can get into the scouting/personnel side of the team. if you need any referances, your welcome to list ole miss texan. lol

Here's a Murphy's law scenerio .

Michael Oher is there at ___ when we pick . What do you do ?

Trade the pick because we can't tie that much money into one spot. It sucks having a lesser talent when we have a chance to land a premier talent. I'm still upset with how our FO handled the draft.

Ok, here's my go at an offseason plan.

Fire Richard Smith and go for Ron Rivera or anyone who has been successful this decade. I'll go with firing the Scouting guy as well, might as well.

Free agent would be OLB Karlos Dansdy and and if we have the money Suggs, or Lee Evans.

Draft would be the Safety William Moore from Mizzou in the first and any interior offensive linemen that Alex Gibbs approves of and any big interior defensive linemen.
(I even considered getting MLB Rey Maualuga and moving Demeco to WLB.)

I think that would fill a few holes we have, but its not complete by far.

They're not going to take a safety in the first round. And William Moore is a marginally better talent than what is being groomed already on the squad. Not twenty five million better than what they already have. How many drafts and how many players do you have to see us pass up to understand....they ain't taking a safety that high.

The only problem I have with Brian Cushing is the nagging injuries. Believing the coach speak....the safeties aren't going anywhere...Demeeco's not going anywhere...They love Dilles...inspite of the egg he laid Sunday, that leaves Will and DE. I liked the center pick with the three....a lot. Myers got owned .
Rather have Ulatoski there but whatever.

I believe they redid Dansby last year....Dansby will cost you picks.

And the front office hit three needs with two picks. They did nothing wrong. Or would you rather watch
Salaam working on Vanden Bosch yesterday. Brown got beat...but he only gave up a sack. One.

Last edited:

Duke Robinson would be that 325lb OG (335 actually) that you are wanting. I think maybe a Geno Atkins or a Sen'Darik (too lazy to look up spellings) would be a suitable DT to plug in to our line. Maybe even a 385lb juco transfer to 'Bama that I've thrown out there?

So you've cleared house....Kubiak is gone. Gibbs is gone.... no more ZBS. Now you can draft a 325 lbs guard. One of us doesn't know what he is talking about. light quick lineman. That's it.

I like your ideas YTF & good luck pursuing your dreams :)

IMO I agree its at the LB position but not the outside that should be reserved for DeMeco Ryans cause I think he would be just as if not more dynamic applying QB pressure from the outside as well as dropping into coverage or stopping the run. After this adjustment is made (he can still be the leader of the defense) we insert 1st rd. pick Rey Maualuga
462256.jpg
USC all 260 lbs, think Ray Lewis/AJ Hawk with more athletic ability. He is powerful, fast, quick can cover the pass & blow up the pocket in blitz packages. instead of those 5-6 yard muddle through the middle of the defensive line lame runs teams get on the Texans they wind up being only 1 or 2 yards, sometimes a loss, while inflicting a measure of sheer meaness for good measure. Rey would effectively elimanate the middle of the field & thats something that helps the outside linebackers & Mario Williams.

2nd rd. pick Florida State junior Evertte Brown
528226.jpg

3rd rd. pick Tennseess RB Arian Foster
8db78d47.jpg

thats pretty much the dream for starters but if we really suck the whole year then we'll be in the mix for the premier DE that I've seen in quite some time George Selvie South Florida 6-4 245
large_Selvie.jpg

So you've cleared house....Kubiak is gone. Gibbs is gone.... no more ZBS. Now you can draft a 325 lbs guard. One of us doesn't know what he is talking about. light quick lineman. That's it.

Let's just slow down before we start misreading too much more. I didn't suggest we "clear house". I said we need to fire the scouting director who is the lone FO holdover from C&C. Gibbs can stay, he is proven. I said Kubiak should be put on the "hot-seat", but I think he and Rick Smith really just need to do a re-evaluation of the coordinators in an attempt to create a true identity for our team.

As far as Duke Robinson, who I suggested in another thread, he is 335 (even bigger) and there is plenty of talk already about him being able to slide outside to LT. His footwork is very good for his size. Watch the clip I attached. He is more than capable of getting to the second zone and he excels at pass-protection due to his arm length and natural strength. I actually think Robinson is the perfect ZBS OG, not just the best OG in the draft.

Beerlover, I'd quote your post but it's too long. I'm not a huge fan of Foster. I love the USC LBs. I realize Cushing has injury issues, but he is just so damn good. He has the size and speed to cover the TEs and H-Backs that slip out. I think Maualuga is an amazing player. I don't think he has the best instincts against the run, but he would be an upgrade to our team. I would be comfortable with Ryans sliding outside as we would take more of the college approach to getting the best group onto the field at all times. I think Ryans' ability to move in space (coverage) would be just fine for OLB, but I think his best attribute at OLB would be his lateral speed and play recognition; I think he would be a monster covering the flats and coming on a WILL blitz. This is what I love about the draft: we can talk about this stuff and be upgrading our entire unit. I would support Maualuga. I'm not a big fan of Foster, and I'd rather go with more of a Michael Bush type back if we are going second day. I unfortunately haven't seen too much of Brown, but I'm not so sure about him yet either from what I've read.

Fire Richard Smith and go after a guy with experience and a track record of BUILDING a defense. Ron Rivera, Marvin Lewis, Jerry Grey or a remote possibility may be Rob Ryan though I have heard if Kiffin is canned Rob Ryan is the guy in line to get the job to end the year at least.I'd cut off Weaver and Greenwood's contracts. They can restructure and stay, but they'd really have to work their ass off to make the starting lineup. Sign Dunta to a one year deal. It works well for both sides because I don't think he'll be back to full form until next year anyway. Barring Molden majorly stepping it up later this year and looking just flat out amazing in TC Dunta gets the start. Great chance to showcase his talent for a new extended contract with us or someone else.

Agree on the scouting staff needing to be retooled. We should be looking at someone from the Colts Staff IMO they seem to be dead on in the draft and doesn't hurt to get someone under Bill Polian. Few teams, at least IMO, have worked the draft well as the Colts the past few years.

FA I'd look at for this next year either Terrell Suggs like you suggest or Julius Peppers. He hasn't looked as dominant or dynamic the past season but him opposite Mario would be be a great bookend.

Draft I wouldn't mind Cushing but the nagging injuries do bother me. Either way our LBs need some speed and I'm not really opposed to getting LB help.Larinitis is tempting because I think he'd bring some intensity that this defense needs.

Our second rounder is going to be interesting depending on how the off-season progresses. Is Brisiel viable long term at RG? Pitts? Does Myers play better as the season with Gibbs wears on? Second or third round would be a good time to address the interior of the line. It'd benice to have someone compliment Slaton and there should be some good backs available here too. IF P.J. Hill declares he'd be a great fit and would probably fall into the second round. Someone who I'd love to get if he declares this year is Greshman TE out of OU. I like OD a lot but this kid has got Gates kind of talent. Doubt he'd fall here to the second but I wouldn't be opposed to trading back in the first to tag this kid.

I have this feeling once again we'll probably gamble with a small school prospect in the third when we probably should be looking at someone who took a fall from one of the big conferences because someone always does(Slaton anyone?). IF Molden does pan out great but from all looks so far Jacoby hasn't made the small school transition so well. Would love to seea guy like Austen English here though. Motor guy that won't give up on a play and has no problem going after a QB.

Fire Richard Smith and go after a guy with experience and a track record of BUILDING a defense. Ron Rivera, Marvin Lewis, Jerry Grey or a remote possibility may be Rob Ryan though I have heard if Kiffin is canned Rob Ryan is the guy in line to get the job to end the year at least.I'd cut off Weaver and Greenwood's contracts. They can restructure and stay, but they'd really have to work their ass off to make the starting lineup. Sign Dunta to a one year deal. It works well for both sides because I don't think he'll be back to full form until next year anyway. Barring Molden majorly stepping it up later this year and looking just flat out amazing in TC Dunta gets the start. Great chance to showcase his talent for a new extended contract with us or someone else.

Agree on the scouting staff needing to be retooled. We should be looking at someone from the Colts Staff IMO they seem to be dead on in the draft and doesn't hurt to get someone under Bill Polian. Few teams, at least IMO, have worked the draft well as the Colts the past few years.

FA I'd look at for this next year either Terrell Suggs like you suggest or Julius Peppers. He hasn't looked as dominant or dynamic the past season but him opposite Mario would be be a great bookend.

Draft I wouldn't mind Cushing but the nagging injuries do bother me. Either way our LBs need some speed and I'm not really opposed to getting LB help.Larinitis is tempting because I think he'd bring some intensity that this defense needs.

Our second rounder is going to be interesting depending on how the off-season progresses. Is Brisiel viable long term at RG? Pitts? Does Myers play better as the season with Gibbs wears on? Second or third round would be a good time to address the interior of the line. It'd benice to have someone compliment Slaton and there should be some good backs available here too. IF P.J. Hill declares he'd be a great fit and would probably fall into the second round. Someone who I'd love to get if he declares this year is Greshman TE out of OU. I like OD a lot but this kid has got Gates kind of talent. Doubt he'd fall here to the second but I wouldn't be opposed to trading back in the first to tag this kid.

I have this feeling once again we'll probably gamble with a small school prospect in the third when we probably should be looking at someone who took a fall from one of the big conferences because someone always does(Slaton anyone?). IF Molden does pan out great but from all looks so far Jacoby hasn't made the small school transition so well. Would love to seea guy like Austen English here though. Motor guy that won't give up on a play and has no problem going after a QB.

GREAT POST. I'll get into it more after classes are out.

Everette Brown 6-4 250 out of Florida State is a good defensive end. He is a redshirt junior.

64 tackles, 25 TFL, 9.5 sacks, 1 FF, and 1 blocked kick over the last 2 years.

Should be great this year.

Seminole program with solid defensive history. good size for RDE, if more refined in his technique would get 1st rd. grade, still I feel he is a solid mid second. uses bull rush, has good edge speed boom or bust takes himself out of play or impacts QB protection, his numbers should translate unchanged to the next level which would add a pure pass rushing specialist. needs to refine tackling technique, strength of arm tackles won't work @ the next level. bottom line to get a talent like this in the 2nd would be a + as a rookie he would move into the starting mix. :shades:

I really like the idea of looking for a SAM in the first round of the draft but the guy I have my eye on is Aaron Curry of Wake. Most mocks I've seen him have him going in the 20s. Dude got 4 picks (3 of them returned for TD) and 3 sacks last year. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57137&draftyear=2009&genpos=OLB

welcome :tiphat:

yeah, Wake has some exceptional defensive prospects that play well together. IF the Texans turn this season around they won't be picking high enough to get Rey but they just might be in position to still upgrade LB with Curry.

I don't believe Peppers is a FA? I believe we would have to trade for him, and even after a down year, I don't want to give up the pieces to get him. He would be a great player across from Mario though.

Draft I wouldn't mind Cushing but the nagging injuries do bother me. Either way our LBs need some speed and I'm not really opposed to getting LB help. Larinitis is tempting because I think he'd bring some intensity that this defense needs.

I'm not a big Larinitis fan to be honest. I think he is overvalued. I'm glad we see the same way about our LBs. I don't think Cushing will have a tendency for injuries as we move forward though.

Our second rounder is going to be interesting depending on how the off-season progresses. Is Brisiel viable long term at RG? Pitts? Does Myers play better as the season with Gibbs wears on? Second or third round would be a good time to address the interior of the line.

Our second rounder should be very interesting. There are some viable interior linemen in the draft. I think Pitts is a solid player, but that he is nothing more than that. I wouldn't mind shifting him to the right side next to Winston and upgrading our LG. I can't stress how much I want Duke Robinson. I don't think Myers is the answer at C either, but I don't think we will have lost too much if we replace him. I think he is a viable back up, but I don't think he is strong enough at the POA.

It'd benice to have someone compliment Slaton and there should be some good backs available here too. IF P.J. Hill declares he'd be a great fit and would probably fall into the second round.

I would love to get P.J. Hill. I think he is pretty close to a "complete" back or someone who could be an every down guy, but he is a very physical runner and I think he would make a good pair to Slaton. I don't even know if he will go second round; he has some nasty injuries in his recent past.

Someone who I'd love to get if he declares this year is Greshman TE out of OU. I like OD a lot but this kid has got Gates kind of talent. Doubt he'd fall here to the second but I wouldn't be opposed to trading back in the first to tag this kid.

I'd be pretty opposed to snagging a TE that early. I don't even think he is the best TE in the state of Oklahoma. I think we need to focus elsewhere until those early picks are more luxury picks than necessity picks, and we aren't there yet.

The small school guys need time. They are a huge gamble because a staff can only spend so much effort on the development of a player before they risk neglecting that of others. It's tough for a coaching staff to do, but when it pays off, it usually pays off big. That's why teams take the risk. I do like taking productive players without the measurables from big time schools. A favorite example of mine is Mark Anderson out of Alabama a few years back.

Seminole program with solid defensive history. good size for RDE, if more refined in his technique would get 1st rd. grade, still I feel he is a solid mid second. uses bull rush, has good edge speed boom or bust takes himself out of play or impacts QB protection, his numbers should translate unchanged to the next level which would add a pure pass rushing specialist. needs to refine tackling technique, strength of arm tackles won't work @ the next level. bottom line to get a talent like this in the 2nd would be a + as a rookie he would move into the starting mix. :shades:

If that WF game is the only game you've watched of Everette Brown, I am impressed. This is a pretty good summary of the guy.

I'll add that he times the snap very well. I just watched the game again because I recorded it and it may look like he was offsides on a few plays, but when you look at it on replay in slow motion he wasn't. He was getting three yards in the backfield before the offensive linemen can even attempt to block him. Now it did backfire on him once in the game as he jumped offside. They double and triple teamed him at times, particularly when they rolled out to his side. The guy has alot of moves off the line. I saw him get low and around an OT, I saw him spin off of a guy, I saw him stunt inside, I saw him bullrush. Also, don't underestimate his ability to play the run as most of his TFL are on run plays.

For the negatives BL is absolutely correct. He uses arm tackles too often, and really needs to refine his tackling technique, but I expect Mickey Andrews (one of the best D coordinators in college football) to work on that with him throughout the year. He also needs to add a little bit more strength for the NFL, but I know he got significantly stronger over the offseason. We just got Todd Stroud on at FSU as the strength and conditioning coach. He works with DL alot. He was at NC State before and worked with guys like Mario Williams, John McCargo, Tank Tyler, and Manny Lawson.

He is a great pass rusher, and if we could get him in the 2nd round it would be a steal.

Coming from me it's going to seem like homerism, but if you get a chance to watch FSU play this year pay attention to #99 Everette Brown. We play Colorado in Jacksonville at 3:30 on abc this Saturday. BTW I have tickets to that game, and the Texans game in Jax.

Last edited:
BTW I have tickets to that game, and the Texans game in Jax.

damn your one lucky dude, give us a first hand update if possible there is nothing like catching a game live its entirely different perspective, you can follow a particular player every down & between plays to evaluate his mannerisms & body language all those intangibles scouts talk about.

I really don't know anything more about Everette than what you've posted & what I saw for just limited amount of time against Wake Forrest (that is a really good under rated team, the whole ACC is really compelling for that matter, also really high on a couple Tar Heels as well) he does have a classic DE body with good instincts in pass rush situations. I don't want to go into full mock draft mode just yet but ya know YTF is a big fan like we both are of the process so some direction early on, for those so inclined can't hurt. Its gonna take everyones insight to get through this malaise the Texans are infected with (lack of pass rush). I'm trying to not buy into any early player love fests cause every year the Texans wind up just out of the money (with exception of 06, 02 they just blew their wad) however the key to turning this defense around is aquiring a beast in the middle (SAM) & let DeMeco be DeMeco the playmaker not the last resort.

I may be wrong but it sure seams the talent we do have is not in the position they need to be in to make consistant plays. meaning one of two things either we don't have the talent or the talent is being mis-used :shades:

YTF as always a very good plan.

How would I change the team? Since my DC looks to be in line for a HC position, Rob Ryan, I am looking at stealing a proven DC from someone and giving him a Assistant HC title, someone like Jim Schwartz of Tennessee or Bob Babich of the Bears (Babich is already a Asst HC). Another name to watch is Larry Coyer former DC for the Broncos and current Asst HC for the Bucs.

Then I go to the scouting department and clean out the last of the Casserly guys. I would look at guys like John Schneider or Reggie McKenzie from the Packers. Our pro scouting does leave much to be desired, well at least when it comes to the big signings.

Now time for the draft, like YTF, I think we are picking in the top half of the draft. I do not see us picking top 5 but after that, any spot is possible.

my target to start is Rey Maualaga, 6-1, 250, Southern California. He can play a couple of positions and yes he is good enough to allow me to move Ryans to WILL. A SAM is not a 1st rounder because they do not play in nickle packages and teams can force the guy off the field. So he is my top choice and he brings attitude to our group something we do not have. Other that would work if Maualaga is gone, Duke Robinson, but not in the top 10, would upgrade the middle of the line. Michael Oher, 6-5, 320, Mississippi, would mean Winston moves to guard. FS Taylor Mays, 6-3, 225, Southern California. Knowshon Moreno RB, Georgia or Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

Say I get Maualaga in the 1st, then I am looking at guys like Greg Middleton DE from Indiana or Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss in the 2nd. Then I add a RB like Adrian Foster, RB, Tennessee in the 3rd.

A ball hawking FS would be a great pickup. A small school guy to watch is Javorris Jackson from Savannah State. At 6'4" and around 220 lbs, the guy is a stud. In 3 games he has 30 tackles, 2 picks, and a Fumble recovery.

YTF as always a very good plan.

How would I change the team? Since my DC looks to be in line for a HC position, Rob Ryan, I am looking at stealing a proven DC from someone and giving him a Assistant HC title, someone like Jim Schwartz of Tennessee or Bob Babich of the Bears (Babich is already a Asst HC). Another name to watch is Larry Coyer former DC for the Broncos and current Asst HC for the Bucs.

Then I go to the scouting department and clean out the last of the Casserly guys. I would look at guys like John Schneider or Reggie McKenzie from the Packers. Our pro scouting does leave much to be desired, well at least when it comes to the big signings.

Now time for the draft, like YTF, I think we are picking in the top half of the draft. I do not see us picking top 5 but after that, any spot is possible.

my target to start is Rey Maualaga, 6-1, 250, Southern California. He can play a couple of positions and yes he is good enough to allow me to move Ryans to WILL. A SAM is not a 1st rounder because they do not play in nickle packages and teams can force the guy off the field. So he is my top choice and he brings attitude to our group something we do not have. Other that would work if Maualaga is gone, Duke Robinson, but not in the top 10, would upgrade the middle of the line. Michael Oher, 6-5, 320, Mississippi, would mean Winston moves to guard. FS Taylor Mays, 6-3, 225, Southern California. Knowshon Moreno RB, Georgia or Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

Say I get Maualaga in the 1st, then I am looking at guys like Greg Middleton DE from Indiana or Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss in the 2nd. Then I add a RB like Adrian Foster, RB, Tennessee in the 3rd.

Thanks for the compliments. I like most of what you said. I think that if we were to move Winston inside (don't recommend it) then we should go the route of a more "RT" type tackle in Andre Smith out of 'Bama. I don't want Wells or Foster. I just have a bad feeling about them, and I can't really ever give a reason why, just a gut feeling. I would love Rey or Duke. Unfortunately, we cannot get both. I wouldn't mind either though.

Brandon Pettigrew from Oklahoma State or Chase Coffman of Missouri if you are looking for good TE's

Yes. I mentioned either earlier in this thread or in another that the OU TE was not even the best in the state of Oklahoma. OSU's Pettigrew is top notch and Coffman is better than the TE that just left last year. Spot on.

I like the idea of signing Suggs

If we are picking in the top half of the 1st rd. I would take one of the USC LB's.

Then I would do what Carolina did this year. Trade this years no.2 & next years no. 1 for another no1.this year & draft Taylor Mays. I believe he's going to be a stud.

3rd Alex Mack or best C available
4th Kirsten Pittman
5th Roy Miller
6th bpa
7th bpa

Carolina took a chance & its paying off for them this year.
We are going to have to take some chances to get out of this abyss.

If we did this we would have playmakers on every level of our defense

DL MW, Amobi, Suggs
LB DR, Cushing or RM
DB Dunta, Bennett & Mays

Plus we would also get one of the young promising Centers that Gibbs chooses.

Make it happen Smithiak

This can only happen if Mr. McNair is willing to spend the money.

After 6 years of watching bad football as a season ticket holder I believe that I have the right to request that Mr. McNair spend the money. We are the 4th most profitable franchise in the NFL.

I like the idea of signing Suggs

If we are picking in the top half of the 1st rd. I would take one of the USC LB's.

Then I would do what Carolina did this year. Trade this years no.2 & next years no. 1 for another no1.this year & draft Taylor Mays. I believe he's going to be a stud.

3rd Alex Mack or best C available
4th Kirsten Pittman
5th Roy Miller
6th bpa
7th bpa

Carolina took a chance & its paying off for them this year.
We are going to have to take some chances to get out of this abyss.

If we did this we would have playmakers on every level of our defense

DL MW, Amobi, Suggs
LB DR, Cushing or RM
DB Dunta, Bennett & Mays

Plus we would also get one of the young promising Centers that Gibbs chooses.

Make it happen Smithiak

Trading away those picks has helped but it was also a desperation move made by fox to save his job by tying to win now. Their offense was strong before but getting two OT helped and a RB. I look at their D and that is what they shored up some more and its showing both sides of the ball.

Trading away those picks has helped but it was also a desperation move made by fox to save his job by tying to win now. Their offense was strong before but getting two OT helped and a RB. I look at their D and that is what they shored up some more and its showing both sides of the ball.

After 7 years of lousy football we should be desparate too.

I think our offense will be fine if we add a young center & guard.
Hence the 3rd round pick on a center.

The defense has been bad since day one. It needs major attention in terms of talent & a new DC.

With this plan we could strengthen our olb & saftey positions that have been problematic at best with 2 young potential all-pro players in Cushing & Mays.

The gamble is getting Mays one year early worth a 2009 2nd rd. pick. hopefully by 2010 our team will be good enough with these aquisitions it will be a low 1st rd. pick.

The big question in this plan is wether Bobby Grier will advise Mr. McNair to spend the money on Suggs. I have my doubts this will happen.

A good defense will help the offense. The offense won't feel like it has to go for it on every 4th down.

Please spend the money Mr. McNair. 7 years is long enough.

Thanks for the compliments. I like most of what you said. I think that if we were to move Winston inside (don't recommend it) then we should go the route of a more "RT" type tackle in Andre Smith out of 'Bama. I don't want Wells or Foster. I just have a bad feeling about them, and I can't really ever give a reason why, just a gut feeling. I would love Rey or Duke. Unfortunately, we cannot get both. I wouldn't mind either though.

OK ... being that I've turned into Mr. Sunshine ... it means our luck will change .

We will sign Suggs .

1st rd. Rey Maualuga ... good player who will hit someone .

2nd . Johnathon Luigis ... center Arkansas ... I think we need more lead in our pencil in the middle .

3rd ... best player FS , OG , RB .

As you know YTF I've always liked your stuff. This plan is no different. Keep it up, you obviously have a feel for scouting. Stick to your guns bro.:cowboy1:

I think our weakest positions are RB, OLB, DE, and interior OL. edit: I should add safety.

If we drafted those, in no particular order, in the first 4 picks I would probably be happy.

If we went 1st round RB, we could potentially have a nice duo (with Slaton of course).

I think we really need a big strong SLB who can chase plays down. A guy like Shawn Crable was last year. Don't have many of these guys picked out yet. One guy I've noticed is Nate Irving from NC State. Redshirt Sophomore who does nothing but make plays. VERY impressed with him thus far. I think he has first round pick potential in the future. He won't come out this year but just a guy I have noticed.

YTF show me your top 5 list of OLBs (specifically SLBs) if you got one. I'd be interested to see that list.

Last edited:
Back