Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

You are GM of the Texans for the next 4 months

I just don’t get the Tunsil trade stuff. We have 200mil in cap space next year. If we extend him then him and Cooks are the only players we have big contracts for and Cooks is probably gone this offseason. We have plenty of money and draft capital over these next two years. What we lack is good players. Now some want to trade one of our few proven players? At a position that will be vital to the development of our new QB?

It’s completely nonsensical
the trade talk is not about whether Laremy is good or if we can afford him. It is about getting 3-4 good players who could be starters day one and thus improve the team. Having four player on rookie deals is enticing. No one is saying trade Tunsil and not have a solid LT going forward.

Unless that vet plays like Matt Ryan did last year.
Matt R was bad last year, but it would depend on who the vet is.
I doubt Texans bring in a mediocre vet to be starter if they can get a QB from the draft that should be at least equal if not better his rookie season.
If they do bring in a vet to be backup and mentor for our two young QBs (Mills and Rookie) then I imagine it would be one who is cerebral and good at communicating his knowledge.

Matt R was bad last year, but it would depend on who the vet is.
I doubt Texans bring in a mediocre vet to be starter if they can get a QB from the draft that should be at least equal if not better his rookie season.
If they do bring in a vet to be backup and mentor for our two young QBs (Mills and Rookie) then I imagine it would be one who is cerebral and good at communicating his knowledge.
I wouldn't mind bringing in Brissett on a 2–3-year deal. I've been thinking it over and I'd be OK with the Texans drafting Young, Stroud, Levis, or Richardson with my usual caveat that whoever they draft sits until they earn the starting job.
What if they traded 1.2 and 3.73 to the Ravens for Lamar Jackson? I'd think the value of the 1.2 pick would be enough to keep the Texans from having to use multiple first round picks in the trade.

I wouldn't mind bringing in Brissett on a 2–3-year deal. I've been thinking it over and I'd be OK with the Texans drafting Young, Stroud, Levis, or Richardson with my usual caveat that whoever they draft sits until they earn the starting job.
What if they traded 1.2 and 3.73 to the Ravens for Lamar Jackson? I'd think the value of the 1.2 pick would be enough to keep the Texans from having to use multiple first round picks in the trade.
Meh, if you want a Lamar Jackson, Anthony Richardson is your man - LJ may be a teeny tiny bit better runner, but AR has better throwing skills but even then, I wouldn't start him for at least half a season and you won't lose any draft picks.
Brisset is an interesting bridge though.

Meh, if you want a Lamar Jackson, Anthony Richardson is your man - LJ may be a teeny tiny bit better runner, but AR has better throwing skills but even then, I wouldn't start him for at least half a season and you won't lose any draft picks.
Brisset is an interesting bridge though.
I live in the greater Cleveland area now and follow the Browns a bit. Brissett actually had a pretty decent season.
I wouldn't mind Richardson. I think him and Levis probably have the highest NFL ceilings, but I also think they have pretty low floors.

the trade talk is not about whether Laremy is good or if we can afford him. It is about getting 3-4 good players who could be starters day one and thus improve the team. Having four player on rookie deals is enticing. No one is saying trade Tunsil and not have a solid LT going forward.
Well they are saying that. Seems that the proposals mostly involve drafting a new left tackle and of course there’s no telling if that guys any good or not.

We aren’t short on ways to acquire good players we’re short on good players. We have like 20 picks over the next 2 drafts as well as 200mil in cap space next year. I don’t think it’s worth the risk to trade the only player we have who is elite at his position in the hopes that we may be able to add a couple starters.

It's horrible. There aren't many cap savings available by cutting veterans. The Saints will have to restructure their top 8 contracts just to break even. Which will just come back to haunt them in 2024.

No wonder Payton left.
He's getting blame for situation.

Well they are saying that. Seems that the proposals mostly involve drafting a new left tackle and of course there’s no telling if that guys any good or not.

We aren’t short on ways to acquire good players we’re short on good players. We have like 20 picks over the next 2 drafts as well as 200mil in cap space next year. I don’t think it’s worth the risk to trade the only player we have who is elite at his position in the hopes that we may be able to add a couple starters.
Yes. I enjoy creating trade proposals and re-working contracts. Tunsil is in his prime and as i've presented, a new deal not only locks a prime player in perhaps 2nd most important spot
But shows other players including possible future FAs Houston can be attractive to play for. Tytus has said he wants to remain here with new extension. I am not ruling out Brandin Cooks changing his mind about leaving if Steichens comes aboard with a rookie QB that loves to pass.

I live in the greater Cleveland area now and follow the Browns a bit. Brissett actually had a pretty decent season.
I wouldn't mind Richardson. I think him and Levis probably have the highest NFL ceilings, but I also think they have pretty low floors.

Any good ahem massage places around?

So you're thinking you can add 3-4 players that are equal to Tunsil in talent? If your answer is no then give me 1 guy that's at the top of the field at his position rather than 3-4 avg to maybe slightly above average players. In short the Texans need more players as talented Tunsil is, not less.

So just to be clear, if I was offered a 1 and a 3, the deal is done right now.

That’s not how imaginary GM works.

You asked the other team for two 1’s and they passed on your deal. They went elsewhere and now your stuck with Tunsil.

Now there are people on a message board saying you should be fired because you didn’t get the deal done.

They are calling you a file clerk passing out pink soap.

Put names to the deal. Who's trading that for Tunsil? What picks do they have? Who do you think would be available at those picks?

Do the work, then see if the deal makes sense.

Well, BOB would obviously be lobbying Belichick for this trade and maybe adding a few more picks to sweeten the deal.

I don't think you get better by trading away your best players. That worked so well in the Hopkins trade right?

Even if the trade wasn't so lopsided, it's a bad deal because one bird in the hand is always better than two birds in the bush.

It's a lot of what-ifs and it's a very poor strategy imo. Give me the guy I know is a top 5 talent at his position over a couple of other may be's, possibles, or who knows guys.

Keep Tunsil and Howard as your bookends. Sign them both to long extensions, and don't worry about drafting tackle in the first couple of rounds in the next half-decade. That's how you build stability on your o-line and start to win big.

Put names to the deal. Who's trading that for Tunsil? What picks do they have? Who do you think would be available at those picks?

Do the work, then see if the deal makes sense.
Raiders if they get Rodgers who might enjoy passing to Davante Adams. Raiders get Tunsil and move Kolton Miller to LG and Parham to RG to replace Alex Barr now FA. Texans get 1.7 and 2.39 + GBay knowing Raiders could use 1.7 to draft a QB may feel pressured to send 2.41 to get deal done adding this selection to deal for Tunsil : 1.7 and 2.39 and 2.41.

Would Steelers give up 1.17 + 2.33 + 2.50 for Howard?

Raiders if they get Rodgers who might enjoy passing to Davante Adams. Raiders get Tunsil and move Kolton Miller to LG and Parham to RG to replace Alex Barr now FA. Texans get 1.7 and 2.39 + GBay knowing Raiders could use 1.7 to draft a QB may feel pressured to send 2.41 to get deal done adding this selection to deal for Tunsil : 1.7 and 2.39 and 2.41.

If they would, I would most graciously accept !

I don't think you get better by trading away your best players. That worked so well in the Hopkins trade right?
We’re talking about Tunsil.

I like Tunsil & if he wasn’t wanting to reset the market every three years I’d want to keep him.

If we were looking at a three/four year window I’d have no problem keeping him, paying him.

But Miami seemed to have learned that lesson. Prudently spending as they build a winning team

We’re talking about Tunsil.

I like Tunsil & if he wasn’t wanting to reset the market every three years I’d want to keep him.

If we were looking at a three/four year window I’d have no problem keeping him, paying him.

But Miami seemed to have learned that lesson. Prudently spending as they build a winning team

In 2 yrs Tunsil wont be the highest paid LT. If you want to keep the best players then you have to pay them. This really comes down to how good do you think the Texans org is going to be in 3-4 yrs knowing that Ryans will be building his vision of what the Texans org is going to be, with Caserio's help. If you think that Ryans can build a winner with all of the cap space/draft picks Caserio has set him up with in 3-4 yrs then you re-sign Tunsil and maybe even Howard too if you think last yr wasn't a fluke.

In 2 yrs Tunsil wont be the highest paid LT. If you want to keep the best players then you have to pay them. This really comes down to how good do you think the Texans org is going to be in 3-4 yrs knowing that Ryans will be building his vision of what the Texans org is going to be, with Caserio's help. If you think that Ryans can build a winner with all of the cap space/draft picks Caserio has set him up with in 3-4 yrs then you re-sign Tunsil and maybe even Howard too if you think last yr wasn't a fluke.
If I think Caserio is that good at his job he'll find the next guy who's going to reset the LT market. 2 or 3 years he'll still be on his rookie contract locked up for another two or three years.

Prudent use of team resources is better than imprudent use of team resources.

If I think Caserio is that good at his job he'll find the next guy who's going to reset the LT market. 2 or 3 years he'll still be on his rookie contract locked up for another two or three years.

Prudent use of team resources is better than imprudent use of team resources.

Top 3 players at their positons dont fall off of trees and when you have one of those guys you hang onto them as long as you can. IMHO. Those guys get paid. There's not a LT as good as Tunsil in this draft.

Top 3 players at their positons dont fall off of trees and when you have one of those guys you hang onto them as long as you can. IMHO. Those guys get paid. There's not a LT as good as Tunsil in this draft.
Eh... find me a guy as good as the one playing for Cincy, KC, SanFran, or Philly.

Well, BOB would obviously be lobbying Belichick for this trade and maybe adding a few more picks to sweeten the deal.
I'd like to be in the room to see this. Because I've never seen Belichick laugh.

and move Kolton Miller to LG and Parham to RG to replace Alex Barr now FA.
Miller is a good LT. Why not just grab a RG? Cheaper and less draft capital.
I don't think they'd give up 2.50 for Howard.

I'd like to be in the room to see this. Because I've never seen Belichick laugh.

Miller is a good LT. Why not just grab a RG? Cheaper and less draft capital.

I don't think they'd give up 2.50 for Howard.
i don't think they can get a Right Tackle that would make the line as good as the one I propose. Miller not close to the T that Tunsil is. Miller could be better as a guard. Moving Parham to right should improve him also. That line would attract a QB.

i don't think they can get a Right Tackle that would make the line as good as the one I propose. Miller not close to the T that Tunsil is. Miller could be better as a guard. Moving Parham to right should improve him also. That line would attract a QB.
Instead of doing all of this stuff, Let's draft Schmitz and later rd depth pieces. Or sign Bradbury or Pocic in FA.

Agreed.

They need a partner for Pierce. What I would try to do is draft Achane at 3-64 and trade a 6th to the Chiefs for CEH. Much better than Bulkhead, Obi, Freeman.
I am surprised you push for Achane at almost the identical size of Bryce young. Often RBs are hit behind LOS by 300 pound Linemen, linebackers that will outweigh him by 50 pounds. He would be hit much more often than Young and would you want him to block for a QB? I know he is willing but...

I am surprised you push for Achane at almost the identical size of Bryce young. Often RBs are hit behind LOS by 300 pound Linemen, linebackers that will outweigh him by 50 pounds. He would be hit much more often than Young and would you want him to block for a QB? I know he is willing but...
Difference is he has world class speed and he wouldn't carry the ball more than 7-10 times a game on very specific calls, downs and distances.

I definitely wouldn't try to get him 5- 7 catches. Combine this with KR return duties and he would get 15-20 touches per game and is a real threat to score everytime he touches the ball. Put him with Hyatt who has the same qualities and now you have a defense that is stressed.

Let’s say, the Texans draft C- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota) and RT- Darnell Wright (Tennessee). Then they sign veteran C-Brendel (49’ers).

The re-shuffled OL would look something like this:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Howard
OC- Michael-Schmitz / Brendel
RG- Green
RT- Wright

2 picks for OL is probably the max allocation. There’s no doubt both picks are starters and would help in the run game.

If Ryan’s and Slowick want to emphasize the running game, I would have no issues in allocating (2) picks towards this goal. I’d draft RB- Zach Charbonnet (UCLA) and RB- Sean Tucker (Syracuse).

RB1- Pierce
RB2- Charbonnet
3rd Down RB- Tucker

I believe this lineup would give the Texans all the ammunition they need to run the ball down opposing defenses throats.

Last edited:
Let’s say, the Texans draft C- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota) and RT- Darnell Wright (Tennessee). Then they sign veteran C-Brendel (49’ers).

LT- Tunsil
LG- Howard
RG- Green
RT- Wright

2 picks for OL is probably the max allocation. There’s no doubt both picks are starters and would help in the run game.

If Ryan’s and Slowick want to emphasize the running game, I would have no issues in allocating (2) picks towards this goal. I’d draft RB- Zach Charbonnet (UCLA) and RB- Sean Taylor (Syracuse).

RB1- Pierce
RB2- Charbonnet
3rd Down RB- Tucker

I believe this lineup would give the Texans all the ammunition they need to run the ball down opposing defenses throats.

This is what commitment looks like. Good job.

LT- Tunsil
LG- Howard
RG- Green
RT- Wright

If Ryan’s and Slowick want to emphasize the running game, I would have no issues in allocating (2) picks towards this goal. I’d draft RB- Zach Charbonnet (UCLA) and RB- Sean Taylor (Syracuse).

RB1- Pierce
RB2- Charbonnet
3rd Down RB- Tucker

How about OT Dawand Jones instead of OT Darnell Wright?

Dawand Jones Offensive Tackle Ohio State | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)

LT- Tunsil
LG- Howard
RG- Green
RT- Wright

If Ryan’s and Slowick want to emphasize the running game, I would have no issues in allocating (2) picks towards this goal. I’d draft RB- Zach Charbonnet (UCLA) and RB- Sean Tucker (Syracuse).

RB1- Pierce
RB2- Charbonnet
3rd Down RB- Tucker

1st good work and thoughtfulness. Love both RBs although I see Tucker as more runner than receiver. I prefer Abanikanda now in my mock at top round 4.

I continue to mix and match different players for offensive line. However I do expect Caserio to extend Howard and I am leaning to leaving him at right tackle. He did much better at left guard than I ever expected but He will be more Comfortable at tackle. Also I believe that the extension probably will occur during this 5th season. If he is at LG, will he be thinking they will pay him less than RT?

I think Cann begins season at RG but I am looking at drafting Steve Avila with FA center and perhaps a RG.
I am good with Schmitz/Brendel but may want to use that pick elsewhere.

Back