Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Would you take Andre back next year on a cheap deal?

Would you welcome Andre back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
They handled Andre wrong. OB wanted to show he was the boss vs showing respect to one of the greats. The texans could've used AJ just like AZ uses Fitzgerald. The same way Brees uses Colston. Inside slot player who can move the chains and play inside. Andre is and was better than every tight end and slot man on this roster. So Hopkins and Nate outside, Andre in the slot, whats wrong with that?
First, I was responding to the suggestion of signing AJ for 2016, not rehashing whether he should have remained on the team in 2015.

Sadly, I think your Colston comparison is accurate. AJ now is what Colston is now. Neither of them move as well as Fitzgerald still does. Also, Fitzgerald is a significant asset as a blocker in the run game from the slot (similar to Kevin Walter when he was here), but AJ never has been a consistent or physical blocker.

Mangler

Toro de España
I'm at the barbershop waiting for my turn right now, and there are like three or four "football experts" talking about the moves the Texans "need to make" so we can make it to Super Bowl 51, and make history. ine thing they've all unanimously agreed on is that we need to sign and start RG3, and bring back Andre Johnson cause he wouldn't drop all those passes that Hopkins, Strong, Shorts, and Washington dropped.

One of the guys also said he's almost certain we bring him back, and that even if he doesn't play like he did when he was with us, it's ok cause he deserves to retire a legend wearing a Texans uniform.

I wonder what the hell these guys are smoking? Now, I love Andre Johnson (Texan version) as much as the next guy, but he's clearly done.

Just wanted to share this with my fellow Texans Talk brothers, have a wonderful day! :)

Mangler

Toro de España
What passes did Jaelen Strong drop?
I didn't even join the conversation, to be honest. They clearly not know what the heck they're talking about cause they kept calling Jay Prosch "Porsche" and how we need to move on from him.

Last edited:

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I'm at the barbershop waiting for my turn right now, and there are like three or four "football experts" talking about the moves the Texans "need to make" so we can make it to Super Bowl 51, and make history. ine thing they've all unanimously agreed on is that we need to sign and start RG3, and bring back Andre Johnson cause he wouldn't drop all those passes that Hopkins, Strong, Shorts, and Washington dropped.

One of the guys also said he's almost certain we bring him back, and that even if he doesn't play like he did when he was with us, it's ok cause he deserves to retire a legend wearing a Texans uniform.

I wonder what the hell these guys are smoking? Now, I love Andre Johnson (Texan version) as much as the next guy, but he's clearly done.

Just wanted to share this with my fellow Texans Talk brothers, have a wonderful day! :)
Thank you for sharing this about the guys who don't know what they're talking about because they want RGIII.
Hopkins doesn't drop many balls thrown his way. I wouldn't mind having AJ back as a token so he could end his career here, but he's the last man in the world you'd want to correct dropped passes.

gwallaia

Staff member
I have stated this before but I believe the NFL needs to institute a special "Vetreran Salary Exception" for players like Andre Johnson, Brett Farve, et.al. Their salary would not count against the salary cap. This would allow teams to keep iconic veterans on their teams.

I know salary cap was not around in the 80's but one of lowest points in Oiler history was watchng Earl Campbell in a Saints uniform.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
I have stated this before but I believe the NFL needs to institute a special "Vetreran Salary Exception" for players like Andre Johnson, Brett Farve, et.al. Their salary would not count against the salary cap. This would allow teams to keep iconic veterans on their teams.

I know salary cap was not around in the 80's but one of lowest points in Oiler history was watchng Earl Campbell in a Saints uniform.
Favre's departure from Green Bay had nothing to do with salary or the salary cap, and everything to do with the fact that the Packers didn't want him back given where Aaron Rodgers was at that point in his career.

As it relates to Andre, he was unhappy in the 2014 season - it would have only been worse if the Texans kept him around because he didn't count against the cap and then used him in a diminished role, as it very much appears they would have.

I just don't think this would do much - even if there was a way to make it workable.

bah007

Hall of Fame
I love Andre but he's not a better player than Shorts right now which means he would be our #4 WR.

Which means we can't afford to pay him any more than we paid Washington last year. If he could suck that up then sure I'd be interested. But we'd probably use him more like a flex TE than a WR. He'd do a lot of blocking and not a lot of catching passes.

It's a harsh reality but in the NFL you can't treat or pay players for what they've done in the past. All you can go on is what you think they can do for you now and in the future. That can hurt some feelings when a guy gets to the end. And it's the same reason why I never fault a guy who follows the money when he gets a big contract offer.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Yes. Possession receiver. Other than Nuk nobody has a decent set of hands on this team.

Scooter

Funky
In the right role, as more of a moving tightend, Andre can still be quite effective. That's something O'Brien should be familiar with having been on the staff as Belichick got creative with Aaron Hernandez. I don't think Andre wants anything to do with Bill O'Brien (or maybe even someone higher up) though, so this is mute.

Edit: hmmm this thread is older than I thought, I'm probably repeating myself lol.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
In the right role, as more of a moving tightend, Andre can still be quite effective. That's something O'Brien should be familiar with having been on the staff as Belichick got creative with Aaron Hernandez. I don't think Andre wants anything to do with Bill O'Brien (or maybe even someone higher up) though, so this is mute.

Edit: hmmm this thread is older than I thought, I'm probably repeating myself lol.
Yeah same thing I would be ok with.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Andre has already played out his string. He should have accepted the Texans planned role for him last year; he might have hung on 2 seasons longer.

Mangler

Toro de España
Andre has already played out his string. He should have accepted the Texans planned role for him last year; he might have hung on 2 seasons longer.
Exactly. But, no...he got up and left so he could go "win a championship" with the Colts. Boy did that backfire on him, lol! Anyway, his services are no longer needed. I'm sure we'll find a good WR #2 to compliment our already better than Andre Johnson WR #1 in NUK.

Only to a 1-day contract so he can retire a Texan. Dre now is about the equivalent to Eric Moulds when the Texans signed him.
True statement even though it's a painful one. Andre was my favorite player and will probably be the receiver that I point to when my kids start playing. Really unselfish player that did a lot on a bad team. I don't want to re-sign any of the old players we used to have. This franchise can't look back anymore, and they likely won't. Hard for us fans to let go. FO's across the league not so much

Last edited:

Say Watt

Hall of Fame
Absolutely I'd take Andre back. He'd need to accept a role as the 4th WR, but I'd certainly be ok giving him a look.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Only to a 1-day contract so he can retire a Texan. Dre now is about the equivalent to Eric Moulds when the Texans signed him.
Eric Moulds only caught one TD in his season here.

Andre is in great shape and can play another two or three years at a high level. He could put up 600-800 receiving yards and 5-8 TDs even in a reduced role. He still has great hands and is a possession receiver going on 35 years old.

He was barely targeted most of the season with the Colts. He had like 6 receptions for 77 receiving yards and 2 TDs against the Texans in his visit to Houston on Thursday Night Football. He showed me he still has something left in the tank in that one game.

I'd be open to a cheap one or two-year deal for him. In a #4 WR role if he were open to it. He could even play some #2 WR at times. If we let some young guys develop slowly.

Andre wouldn't be any worse than Nate Washington, if he became a Texan again in 2016. But at any rate, I wish him the best wherever he goes.

I still want to draft a wide receiver in this draft...

Personally, I hope Andre Johnson and Arian Foster both sign cheap one or two-year deals with the Dallas Cowboys. What an aging, injury-prone offense it would be. But if Tony Romo, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Andre Johnson and Arian Foster stay healthy (big if for sure) that could be one heck of an aging offense with that stout O-Line.

I say that because it's more likely than Andre coming back to H-Town. I'd rather he go to the next closest place. If not Dallas then New Orleans. I don't want to see Andre Johnson playing with the Patriots in 2016. We will end up facing them in the AFC Championship Game! With the winner going to Super Bowl 51 here in NRG Stadium!

No way would I feel good if Andre Johnson is playing, and winning Super Bowl 51 at NRG Stadium for another team, especially the Patriots. It was bad enough having to see Gary Kubiak, Wade Phillips and Owen Daniels winning that Super Bowl 50 ring this past year. It would feel twice as tough if he's doing it inside our own stadium - you know, the one he made many big plays on every other Sunday.

It's just bittersweet is all. But it hurts at the same time.

The Texans have a good team. I love our free agent signings thus far, but there is still a lot more work that has to be done this off-season.

I'm ready for the 2016 season to start. I'd bring Andre back in a heart beat. I've got a bad feeling he's going to come back to haunt us if we don't sign him, and watch him beat us in a big playoff game, if we allow him to sign a cheap one or two-year deal with the Patriots.

Hopefully Andre Johnson won't do us dirty like that...
But then again he signed with the Colts last year.

Andre Johnson will be at the Rockets versus Grizzlies game tonight. Our fans should be begging him to come back here. Show a franchise icon that we still love him and want him here!!!!!! This is still a great city that Andre calls home. Finish off your final two or three years where it means the most.

Last edited:

Showtime100

Got JJ?
I voted I'd be fine if he'd come back as a 4th receiver. I'll change that. Simply put and without all BS, let's move on. I don't care if he retires a Texan, I'm not comfortable with how he left. On top of that he made bigtime more than me :D. My avatar once said "Got AJ?......no more. See ya, Andre. Didn't work out but you made a fortune, no, you earned a fortune. Love ya.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
No, but I'd take a look at Arian at a reduced rate. A healthy Arian and Miller would be awesome. Miller would be the front-runner with Arian receiving 10-15 touches a game

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Andre is in great shape and can play another two or three years at a high level. He could put up 600-800 receiving yards and 5-8 TDs even in a reduced role. He still has great hands and is a possession receiver going on 35 years old.

He was barely targeted most of the season with the Colts. He had like 6 receptions for 77 receiving yards and 2 TDs against the Texans in his visit to Houston on Thursday Night Football. He showed me he still has something left in the tank in that one game.

I'd be open to a cheap one or two-year deal for him. In a #4 WR role if he were open to it. He could even play some #2 WR at times. If we let some young guys develop slowly.

Andre wouldn't be any worse than Nate Washington, if he became a Texan again in 2016. But at any rate, I wish him the best wherever he goes.

Personally, I hope Andre Johnson and Arian Foster both sign cheap one or two-year deals with the Dallas Cowboys. What an aging, injury-prone offense it would be. But if Tony Romo, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Andre Johnson and Arian Foster stay healthy (big if for sure) that could be one heck of an aging offense with that stout O-Line.

I say that because it's more likely than Andre coming back to H-Town. I'd rather he go to the next closest place. If not Dallas then New Orleans. I don't want to see Andre Johnson playing with the Patriots in 2016. We will end up facing them in the AFC Championship Game! With the winner going to Super Bowl 51 here in NRG Stadium!

No way would I feel good if Andre Johnson is playing, and winning Super Bowl 51 at NRG Stadium for another team, especially the Patriots. It was bad enough having to see Gary Kubiak, Wade Phillips and Owen Daniels winning that Super Bowl 50 ring this past year. It would feel twice as tough if he's doing it inside our own stadium - you know, the one he made many big plays on every other Sunday.

The Texans have a good team. I love our free agent signings thus far, but there is still a lot more work that has to be done this off-season.

I'm ready for the 2016 season to start. I'd bring Andre back in a heart beat. I've got a bad feeling he's going to come back to haunt us if we don't sign him, and watch him beat us in a big playoff game, if we allow him to sign a cheap one or two-year deal with the Patriots.

Andre Johnson will be at the Rockets versus Grizzlies game tonight. Our fans should be begging him to come back here. Show a franchise icon that we still love him and want him here!!!!!! This is still a great city that Andre calls home. Finish off your final two or three years where it means the most.
AJ has never had great hands. He had problems getting separation last yrwhich is why he was targeted less and Luck got hurt. Foster staying healthy = LOL.

Miami is and will always be home for AJ. I will admit AJ signing with the Colts has jaded my opinion of AJ.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

AJ has never had great hands. He had problems getting separation last yr which is why he was targeted less and Luck got hurt. Foster staying healthy = LOL.

Miami is and will always be home for AJ. I will admit AJ signing with the Colts has jaded my opinion of AJ.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Absolutely I'd take Andre back. He'd need to accept a role as the 4th WR, but I'd certainly be ok giving him a look.
What would be the point there? That would have him barely ever seeing the field. He left because he was pissed about a reduced role, and this would be reduced even more.

Say Watt

Hall of Fame
What would be the point there? That would have him barely ever seeing the field. He left because he was pissed about a reduced role, and this would be reduced even more.
Exactly my point. Andre isn't exactly in a position to pick his role. He just got cut. It's got to start hitting the dude that he isn't what he used to be. He's a backup now. If he was willing to accept reality, I'd happily welcome him back to the Texans.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I have given this some more thought and I have decided that in the very unlikely event that Andre Johnson were to come back to Houston on more than just a one day retirement contract then that would most likely mean that the Texans and AJ were on the same page. It would mean that the Texans had a role in mind for him and that AJ had chosen to accept that role and come back and play on a team where he has friends (Nuk for instance).

I guess what I'm saying is I would not go out and try to get AJ to come back but if the Texans did that then they probably have a plan. The OB "regime" doesn't seem to be particularly sentimental so I don't think they would bring him in unless they thought he could upgrade one of the WR spots (not an enormous challenge there). If they brought him in I'd go with it and see what happens.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I have given this some more thought and I have decided that in the very unlikely event that Andre Johnson were to come back to Houston on more than just a one day retirement contract then that would most likely mean that the Texans and AJ were on the same page. It would mean that the Texans had a role in mind for him and that AJ had chosen to accept that role and come back and play on a team where he has friends (Nuk for instance).

I guess what I'm saying is I would not go out and try to get AJ to come back but if the Texans did that then they probably have a plan. The OB "regime" doesn't seem to be particularly sentimental so I don't think they would bring him in unless they thought he could upgrade one of the WR spots (not an enormous challenge there). If they brought him in I'd go with it and see what happens.
Hoyer is still on the roster...just sayin'...

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Hoyer is still on the roster...just sayin'...
I hear you but I think that's got more to do with waiting to see if they can get someone to part with a 7 or 6 for him than anything else. It's just their M/O so I wouldn't read much into it.

Shortly after the K.C. playoff debacle I was mad about OB leaving Hoyer out there when I felt that Weeden could have made that into a game simply by not being Brian Hoyer and I still think on some level that's true but at the same time I think what we saw was both a HC giving a guy he liked every chance to turn it around while simultaneously letting a player who let him down "burn" in plain view of the paying public. The look on OB's face during the latter part of that game as the Hoyer turnovers piled up made it clear to me (and maybe I'm projecting a little bit here) that he was done with Hoyer. It's been fun to joke about Hoyer coming back but even before we had an inkling of Os being signed I was pretty sure we weren't really going to bring Hoyer back.

There was nothing left by the end of that game to do but move on and apart from a few (very lukewarm IMO) consoling comments from OB I never saw the kind of rally to the players defense that Kubiak had for Schaub (for instance) during 2013. Now granted Schaub had performed for Kubiak at a high level in the past so no doubt Gary thought that he owed it to Matt to stay in his corner and give him every chance to turn it around but none of that kind of thing was in play with OB and Hoyer.

This was just a coach giving a player he thought might have some additional untapped ceiling a shot and then backing away when that player proved he didn't in fact have it.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I hear you but I think that's got more to do with waiting to see if they can get someone to part with a 7 or 6 for him than anything else. It's just their M/O so I wouldn't read much into it.

Shortly after the K.C. playoff debacle I was mad about OB leaving Hoyer out there when I felt that Weeden could have made that into a game simply by not being Brian Hoyer and I still think on some level that's true but at the same time I think what we saw was both a HC giving a guy he liked every chance to turn it around while simultaneously letting a player who let him down "burn" in plain view of the paying public. The look on OB's face during the latter part of that game as the Hoyer turnovers piled up made it clear to me (and maybe I'm projecting a little bit here) that he was done with Hoyer. It's been fun to joke about Hoyer coming back but even before we had an inkling of Os being signed I was pretty sure we weren't really going to bring Hoyer back.

There was nothing left by the end of that game to do but move on and apart from a few (very lukewarm IMO) consoling comments from OB I never saw the kind of rally to the players defense that Kubiak had for Schaub (for instance) during 2013. Now granted Schaub had performed for Kubiak at a high level in the past so no doubt Gary thought that he owed it to Matt to stay in his corner and give him every chance to turn it around but none of that kind of thing was in play with OB and Hoyer.

This was just a coach giving a player he thought might have some additional untapped ceiling a shot and then backing away when that player proved he didn't in fact have it.
I was just yanking your chain !! :D

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
For those who wouldn't take Andre back.... WTF are you thinking ? Andrea did more for this team than just about anybody. We could make room for him, and make him apart of our offense. Damn guys I know this is a business but even good companies have some loyalty. Sure he left, but it's hard to convince a all time great that he is no longer great. That's like telling OB Hoyer is not great.

Come back Andre.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hell yeah I would! He is, and will always be my favorite athlete ever. :inneganned:

No matter what happened with him and the situation with the Texans last offseason, I still consider the guy a class act.

Oh, and I've invested too much money in my Andre Johnson jersey collection, to turn back now... :littlelol:
I have a totally different feeling.

After AJ chose to sign with the Colts it's like he died.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
With an expanded roster, this might be true. But the roster spot is too valuable to use it for such a purpose after training camp unless he can earn his way on based on current play.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
"Andrea" sure did, didn't she?
Yeah but Ellis threw him under the bus PDQ for his attempts to get his contract guaranteed a year before he was cut.

Could put together a pretty good 8-8 reunion team this offseason if you wanted to, shame that team never managed to put it together for whatever reason, some really good players in the starting lineup at that point, just lacked the Defensive coaching and depth to get into the playoffs.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
Bring him back. I'm sure he can still out perform most of the WRs on this team. He'll catch another 40 balls this year and then retire a Texan.

I have no problem with this, because unless you're on the team and a native born Texan all of these guys are hired guns anyway. Mercenaries, all.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Bring the guy back and let him be a Texans ambassador or whatever. And yeah, he's the greatest Texans player of all-time, so far, but it's time to move on.

For me personally, I can't have that sentimentality I used to have for individual players any more. I need teams winning championships. Love AJ, and will always have great memories of him, but I don't see how bringing him back to play, helps the team in their quest for a title. So I'll pass.