Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Would you take Andre back next year on a cheap deal?

Would you welcome Andre back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me personally, I can't have that sentimentality I used to have for individual players any more. I need teams winning championships. Love AJ, and will always have great memories of him, but I don't see how bringing him back to play, helps the team in their quest for a title. So I'll pass.

I'm not sentimental about players much. When I started this thread it was *ALMOST soley about trying to get better. I flat out think that AJ on a cheap deal is a better option to have as a spot duty player than some other lower rung guys would be. Looking at Mumphry and Strong who struggled to get playing time at all, I would have liked to have a guy like Andre who knows he is going to be brought in to be a 'specialty' player. OB has gotten creative on offense so even though I'm not conviced he'd actually use him correctly I'm sure he would be open to that kind of player in that kind of role.

I'm not sentimental about players much. When I started this thread it was *ALMOST soley about trying to get better. I flat out think that AJ on a cheap deal is a better option to have as a spot duty player than some other lower rung guys would be. Looking at Mumphry and Strong who struggled to get playing time at all, I would have liked to have a guy like Andre who knows he is going to be brought in to be a 'specialty' player. OB has gotten creative on offense so even though I'm not conviced he'd actually use him correctly I'm sure he would be open to that kind of player in that kind of role.

If we're talking about AJ getting field time comparable to Mumph and Strong, then what's the point really? Then there's the fact that I don't think AJ cares too much about OB and wouldn't want to come back.

If we're talking about AJ getting field time comparable to Mumph and Strong, then what's the point really? Then there's the fact that I don't think AJ cares too much about OB and wouldn't want to come back.

I didn't say anything about getting comparable playing time. My point was that those guys struggled to get on the field at all because OB didn't think they were good enough or something...I think AJ would've been better third option but of course at that point in his career he wasn't going to go from top do to number three or four.

And I did not say that the Texans should actively pursue Andre or that Andre should want to come back here. What I said is that I'd take him back on a reasonable deal as a specialty player. That's it.

This has almost no chance of happening. I don't see AJ and OB reuniting. They never seemed to have a great relationship, and AJ left here sounding bitter and disrespected. I doubt that OB appreciated that much, and I just don't see them two wanting to revisit that again. Aj should try to get on with the Broncos or the Seahawks.

He wanted to leave to contend for a Super Bowl so he can suck on it. Or retire.

Screw him. Let him try to get back on the Colts, lol.

the sad thing is ANdre is prob better then half of are other WR Murph & Strong are our young guys but TBO Will they have the same career has andre are they even better then andre LOL at this current time

Yeah but Ellis threw him under the bus PDQ for his attempts to get his contract guaranteed a year before he was cut.

Could put together a pretty good 8-8 reunion team this offseason if you wanted to, shame that team never managed to put it together for whatever reason, some really good players in the starting lineup at that point, just lacked the Defensive coaching and depth to get into the playoffs.

You are correct, I did. That was then this is now.

Meh. Never been an uber Andre Johnson fan, per se. He was the best player on many crappy teams and a couple of good ones. I do not think he is a Hall of Famer, and do not believe that he could make this team based on physical ability or mental fortitude.

Meh. Never been an uber Andre Johnson fan, per se. He was the best player on many crappy teams and a couple of good ones. I do not think he is a Hall of Famer, and do not believe that he could make this team based on physical ability or mental fortitude.

You think Andre was only quality relative to the crap teams he played with?

No. He was one of the better receivers in the league, save for his inability to score touchdowns.

Texans Hall of Fame? Bull Ring of Honor? Sure. NFL Hall of Fame? No.

His inability to score touchdowns was more on the coaches and QB's than it was him... and will probably keep him out of the HOF

His inability to score touchdowns was more on the coaches and QB's than it was him... and will probably keep him out of the HOF

There is some validity to that. However, if we had a stud WR who commanded double teams in the red zone, it should have increased our red zone efficiency.

He was one of the best at his position for a decade, and probably the best between the 20's in that span.

There is some validity to that. However, if we had a stud WR who commanded double teams in the red zone, it should have increased our red zone efficiency.

He was one of the best at his position for a decade, and probably the best between the 20's in that span.

It wasn't necessarily about his ability to command RZ double teams as it was about our coaches not calling his number one on one in those situations.

Andre wasn't in control of how the offense was dialed up, he was in control of going after the football. And I've never seen a more determined and apt player at that one goal. Really not sure anyone could watch AJ play in and play out and not see one of the greatest receivers of all time there.

It wasn't necessarily about his ability to command RZ double teams as it was about our coaches not calling his number one on one in those situations.

Andre wasn't in control of how the offense was dialed up, he was in control of going after the football. And I've never seen a more determined and apt player at that one goal. Really not sure anyone could watch AJ play in and play out and not see one of the greatest receivers of all time there.

He had a few memorable touchdowns as one should have with his physical traits over a decade run.

Watching football for 40 years and driving 2.5 hours, each way, 10 home games per year during his tenure is how one gets to the conclusion.

Not sure if this is serious, the fact he did what he did on such crappy teams makes him better IMO. He didnt have a Brady, Elway, Young at QB or anything even close his entire career and still in top 10 in basically every category in NFL WR history. I mean come on....

Not sure if this is serious, the fact he did what he did on such crappy teams makes him better IMO. He didnt have a Brady, Elway, Young at QB or anything even close his entire career and still in top 10 in basically every category in NFL WR history. I mean come on....

Exactly, it made HIM better.

He had a few memorable touchdowns as one should have with his physical traits over a decade run.

Watching football for 40 years and driving 2.5 hours, each way, 10 home games per year during his tenure is how one gets to the conclusion.

What does driving around have to do with evaluating talent?

I rarely disagree with KT. This is one of those times. We'll find out in 7-8 years when he is the first Texan inducted.

I do think AJ gets in eventually. But I don't think it's the shoe in that most Texans fans expect.

Even in his prime most people outside of Houston didn't give him the recognition he deserved. At no point in his career was he considered the #1 guy in the league at his position. I'm not saying that is a requirement, but he was never really even considered when those conversations came up.

Even in his prime most people outside of Houston didn't give him the recognition he deserved. At no point in his career was he considered the #1 guy in the league at his position. I'm not saying that is a requirement, but he was never really even considered when those conversations came up.

I don't know about that. There were a few years where I think it was widely recognized that he was the best wr in the league.

I don't know about that. There were a few years where I think it was widely recognized that he was the best wr in the league.

eh, it was him and harrison and then fitzgerald came into the conversation... and wayne. But he was always in everyone's top 3

eh, it was him and harrison and then fitzgerald came into the conversation... and wayne. But he was always in everyone's top 3

Also Calvin Johnson, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, & Steve Smith. Andre put up great numbers but he also played during the golden era of the passing game. I agree with bah007 that Texans fans over-estimate his chances.

Reactions: JB
Also Calvin Johnson, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, & Steve Smith. Andre put up great numbers but he also played during the golden era of the passing game. I agree with bah007 that Texans fans over-estimate his chances.

I forgot about Owens, Calvin came along later and AJ was above the others imo

If he can get 20+ touchdowns this season, he will make it to Canton. Otherwise, I just can't see how he can make it over some of the other WR's that are still waiting.

I do think AJ gets in eventually. But I don't think it's the shoe in that most Texans fans expect.

If the rankings of the players themselves count, when the NFL network first debuted their "100 Best Players in the NFL" series in 2011, Andre was the top ranked receiver and #7 overall. Larry Fitzgerald was the #2 WR at 14 overall, with Roddy White and Calvin Johnson coming in at 24 and 27 respectively.

Andre dropped to 15 overall in 2012 (#3 WR behind Calvin and Fitz), and 14 overall in 2013 (#2 WR once again behind Calvin).

So to say there was never a point he was considered the #1 WR is questionable, and to say he was never even considered in those conversations is even more questionable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Top_100_Players_of_2011

Now I don't think he's the slam-dunk some appear to, but I think if McClain is still around and advocating for Houston players when the time comes, it's realistic he makes it in.

If the rankings of the players themselves count, when the NFL network first debuted their "100 Best Players in the NFL" series in 2011, Andre was the top ranked receiver and #7 overall. Larry Fitzgerald was the #2 WR at 14 overall, with Roddy White and Calvin Johnson coming in at 24 and 27 respectively.

Andre dropped to 15 overall in 2012 (#3 WR behind Calvin and Fitz), and 14 overall in 2013 (#2 WR once again behind Calvin).

So to say there was never a point he was considered the #1 WR is questionable, and to say he was never even considered in those conversations is even more questionable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Top_100_Players_of_2011

Now I don't think he's the slam-dunk some appear to, but I think if McClain is still around and advocating for Houston players when the time comes, it's realistic he makes it in.

There is no doubt in my mind that other NFL players considered Andre to be among the elite.

My stance is that he was never in those conversations among media, and as far as I know that's where most the Hall of Fame votes come from.

This poll you linked is voted on by the players. I would expect Andre to score very highly in that poll. In polls and conversations among media, I always felt like Andre was never recognized or talked about at the level that he deserved to be.

Outside of Houston, I can't really remember a time that media considered him to be among the elite. Maybe very close to the top, but always below the few elite guys.

I love Andre but he's not a better player than Shorts right now which means he would be our #4 WR.

Which means we can't afford to pay him any more than we paid Washington last year. If he could suck that up then sure I'd be interested. But we'd probably use him more like a flex TE than a WR. He'd do a lot of blocking and not a lot of catching passes.

It's a harsh reality but in the NFL you can't treat or pay players for what they've done in the past. All you can go on is what you think they can do for you now and in the future. That can hurt some feelings when a guy gets to the end. And it's the same reason why I never fault a guy who follows the money when he gets a big contract offer.
Too bad that's life: getting old is a harsh reality.

Blasphemy

But correct.

Best WR in the game for a 3 yr period though and that says something since those were also prime Megatron yrs.

There is no doubt in my mind that other NFL players considered Andre to be among the elite.

My stance is that he was never in those conversations among media, and as far as I know that's where most the Hall of Fame votes come from.

This poll you linked is voted on by the players. I would expect Andre to score very highly in that poll. In polls and conversations among media, I always felt like Andre was never recognized or talked about at the level that he deserved to be.

Outside of Houston, I can't really remember a time that media considered him to be among the elite. Maybe very close to the top, but always below the few elite guys.

His last 3 or so years in Houston the media routinely referred to him as "future Hall of Famer Andre Johnson" during games. I think you're underestimating the credit he received.

His last 3 or so years in Houston the media routinely referred to him as "future Hall of Famer Andre Johnson" during games. I think you're underestimating the credit he received.

Honest question,

Do you think the media holds AJ in the same esteem as they did Megatron.

If not this is the difference between a great player and a HOF'er. Of course with Pancakes (if he's still alive) on the selection committee that will greatly improve AJ's chances.

Again, our memories differ. Granted, the players aren't the same as media, but the media (who are the HoF voters) aren't the same as the general public/fans. Andre wasn't flashy, and perhaps more importantly, he didn't score double-digit touchdowns, so the fantasy geeks bye and large didn't give him the credit he deserved. While TD's may matter a little bit to some of the media, it's not going to impact their opinion anywhere close to the way it did for fantasy geeks.

It wasn't for more than a year or two, but there's several non-Houston, non-player rankings showing Andre as the #1 WR in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/792628-whats-the-catch-top-10-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl/page/11
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/top-10-wide-receivers-in-n-f-l/?_r=0
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...-26-top-10-wide-receivers-andre-johnson_n.htm

Honest question,

Do you think the media holds AJ in the same esteem as they did Megatron.

If not this is the difference between a great player and a HOF'er. Of course with Pancakes (if he's still alive) on the selection committee that will greatly improve AJ's chances.

Yes. Actually higher.

Again, our memories differ. Granted, the players aren't the same as media, but the media (who are the HoF voters) aren't the same as the general public/fans. Andre wasn't flashy, and perhaps more importantly, he didn't score double-digit touchdowns, so the fantasy geeks bye and large didn't give him the credit he deserved. While TD's may matter a little bit to some of the media, it's not going to impact their opinion anywhere close to the way it did for fantasy geeks.

It wasn't for more than a year or two, but there's several non-Houston, non-player rankings showing Andre as the #1 WR in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/792628-whats-the-catch-top-10-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl/page/11
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/top-10-wide-receivers-in-n-f-l/?_r=0
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...-26-top-10-wide-receivers-andre-johnson_n.htm

That usatoday article is a great read about the greatness of Andre and what others thought of him

I really hope y'all are right. I think he deserves to get in and I hope he does.

You guys are both right honestly. Bah seems to really downplay any attention that AJ ever received on a National level, but it was always very little I'd say. Not as badly as Bah described it though. It may have been that he just missed his name being mentioned in those types of conversations since it wasn't as high as it should have been. You're right that I've heard them say that quite a few times as well. AJ was talked about as being elite especially being compared to Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald for a few years when all three of them seemed to be fighting for that top spot at receiver.

V2BQG2KcmU8EP4JU9

Atleast were not Dallas...

Yes. Actually higher.
For his overall career I'd say yes. On a one year in their prime type question I think megaton wins.

But I disagree that AJ was not considered elite. I distinctly remember for like two or three years many in the media referring to him as the best wr in the game at the time.

The one thing AJ has over his contemporaries is that he's a Texan. Besides that, I don't think he's a first ballot. NFL is a business, they want a Texan in there. Short of waiting for JJ it's what would put AJ in sooner than others. My 2 cents...

I don't see how they keep Andre out of the HOF. I was out of town for most of his career and had a lot of football conversations. You have to go back to the first year or two of his career where most people wouldn't put him in their top 3 receivers and there was a stretch of two or three years where people almost unanimously referred to him as the best receiver in the NFL. If you do that I don't understand the rationale for keeping you out of the hall.

I don't see how they keep Andre out of the HOF. I was out of town for most of his career and had a lot of football conversations. You have to go back to the first year or two of his career where most people wouldn't put him in their top 3 receivers and there was a stretch of two or three years where people almost unanimously referred to him as the best receiver in the NFL. If you do that I don't understand the rationale for keeping you out of the hall.

If Isaac Bruce does not get in, I do not see how AJ can get in. Also, it is conceivable that by the time he is eligible for the HOF he will not be in the top 10 either receptions and yards.

If Isaac Bruce does not get in, I do not see how AJ can get in. Also, it is conceivable that by the time he is eligible for the HOF he will not be in the top 10 either receptions and yards.

I don't think Bruce was ever considered the best at his position

If Isaac Bruce does not get in, I do not see how AJ can get in.

Don't even understand the comparison.

Bruce led the league in a receiving category (rec., yds, ypg) 1 time. 4 pro bowls, 0 1st team, 1 2nd team AP (16 years).

AJ led the league in rec., yds or ypg 7 times. 7 pro bowl, 2 1st team AP, 2 2nd team AP (13 years).

Plus I don't ever remember debating Bruce as the best.

I don't remember teams fearing just bruce the way they feared andre and I think playing in the greatest show on turf might not help him either. I don't think bruce was the franchise but for close to a decade AJ was the Texans. If I think of the late 90's - early 00's rams there are three or four people I think of (Warner, Faulk, Pace and Holt) before I get to Bruce. For a decade if you said "Texans" the first name that came to mind was AJ...

Back