Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Would you take Andre back next year on a cheap deal?

Would you welcome Andre back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
F it, I'd take him back on a cheap deal if he wanted to come back. It may not be likely at all, but if he was willing to be a role player I think he could provide some value in s specified role.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
F it, I'd take him back on a cheap deal if he wanted to come back. It may not be likely at all, but if he was willing to be a role player I think he could provide some value in s specified role.
If I thought OB could/would be creative with the role, hell yes. As it is, no.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
If Andre would be willing to take a huge pay cut (around vet minimum) and come in and compete for a 3rd or 4th WR job, sure. I'm hoping that we draft another good WR this year and that Strong also develops into a good WR giving us a very young and very talented WR corps. In that case, we could use a cagey vet like Andre as more of a coach than anything else. Of course, this is assuming that he can make the team, which I'm not so sure he can do anymore. And the fact that he doesn't play special teams is a huge strike against him, as well.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
Andre can't play anymore. It pains me to say that but that is the truth. This team needs to keep feeding Hopkins, utilizing shorts and developing strong.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Of course, this is assuming that he can make the team, which I'm not so sure he can do anymore. And the fact that he doesn't play special teams is a huge strike against him, as well.
I'm not sure how much longer he'll be able to make a roster either. He won't help on special teams, he'll take a roster spot from a new wr or be the reason we don't acquire another wr. i wouldn't mind the contract as long as the base is low, friendly, and incentive laden.

Ultimately i'd say no.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
If Andre would be willing to take a huge pay cut (around vet minimum) and come in and compete for a 3rd or 4th WR job, sure. I'm hoping that we draft another good WR this year and that Strong also develops into a good WR giving us a very young and very talented WR corps. In that case, we could use a cagey vet like Andre as more of a coach than anything else. Of course, this is assuming that he can make the team, which I'm not so sure he can do anymore. And the fact that he doesn't play special teams is a huge strike against him, as well.

Yep. All true.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
AJ now could be Shannon Sharpe in his prime IF a coach would decide to do it.
That's what I'd envision for him. Especially if we don't add a TE.

If you flex Andre out and the other team puts a corner on him you gain an advantage with the run. Stick a LB or Safety on him and he can probably still win those match ups.

Fred

Veteran
Vet minimum, zero guaranteed, bring him in as a camp body and see if he can make the team, as long as he wouldn't be a locker room cancer.

But enough already with this nonsense that because someone was a great player that they will make other players great or be a good coach. Bart Starr and Magic Johnson were among the worse coaches ever. If a great player successfully mentored his backups, then Jim Sorgi, Curtis Painter, Rohan Davey, Brian Hoyer, and Ryan Mallett would have better careers than, say, Matt Schaub (pre Fat Albert).

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Hell yes I would, he is the greatest Texan to ever play (as of now), and I want him to go out as a Texan.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Vet minimum, zero guaranteed, bring him in as a camp body and see if he can make the team, as long as he wouldn't be a locker room cancer.

But enough already with this nonsense that because someone was a great player that they will make other players great or be a good coach. Bart Starr and Magic Johnson were among the worse coaches ever. If a great player successfully mentored his backups, then Jim Sorgi, Curtis Painter, Rohan Davey, Brian Hoyer, and Ryan Mallett would have better careers than, say, Matt Schaub (pre Fat Albert).
Really? Seriously?

Who is it that Nuk credits with helping him out and showing him how to be a professional? I'll give you three guesses.

If Andre was a good mentor for Nuk, then maybe he'd be a good mentor for some other young WRs.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Really? Seriously?

Who is it that Nuk credits with helping him out and showing him how to be a professional? I'll give you three guesses.

If Andre was a good mentor for Nuk, then maybe he'd be a good mentor for some other young WRs.
I get Fred's generic complaint that folks want to assume a good player will be a good coach. But bad execution as you point out - we know AJ can mentor. I doubt he can coach but in the clubhouse mentor is different.

The one guy I watched on the sidelines and thought would make a coach was Aaron Glenn, and he is now doing it. He used to hold meetings on the sidelines, hands going like a fighter pilot, talking between every possession.

Fred

Veteran
Really? Seriously?

Really? Seriously? WTF is Nuk supposed to say? Most of the praise of Andre is all "he's a professional who leads by example". In other words he is not a leader. Every player in history who spent any time on a team with an all time great at his position has said the same thing about the great leadership whether true or not. But the greatest coaches of all time turn out to be non players or marginal players like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Really? Seriously? WTF is Nuk supposed to say? Most of the praise of Andre is all "he's a professional who leads by example". In other words he is not a leader. Every player in history who spent any time on a team with an all time great at his position has said the same thing about the great leadership whether true or not. But the greatest coaches of all time turn out to be non players or marginal players like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley.
I don't think he's talking about actually coaching, but rather sharing knowledge, leading by example.

I understand if people don't value that.

Regarding what players behind greats are supposed to say.....Favre openly said he was not there to coach Rodgers, BUT Rodgers has openly named specific things he learned from Brett by watching and being around him.

Of course a player has to have the talent to put those lessons to use.

But i think it goes without question that guys learn things from other players. Makes sense that some of the better lessons they learn by observing will come from the great ones.

Now how much value should be placed on having a great player be a mentor in the Lockeroom is a talking point as well IMO.

Fred

Veteran
I get Fred's generic complaint that folks want to assume a good player will be a good coach. But bad execution as you point out - we know AJ can mentor. I doubt he can coach but in the clubhouse mentor is different.

The one guy I watched on the sidelines and thought would make a coach was Aaron Glenn, and he is now doing it. He used to hold meetings on the sidelines, hands going like a fighter pilot, talking between every possession.
Generally it comes too easy for the greats. The marginal players really had to learn the craft instead of just being able to do it naturally.

How many receivers were on the Texans roster from 2003 - 2014? If AJ could have mentored them up, we wouldn't have needed to draft DeAndre. Why was DeAndre his only successful protege? Probably because he was the only one with the natural talent - thus he would have succeeded with or without a mentor.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Generally it comes too easy for the greats. The marginal players really had to learn the craft instead of just being able to do it naturally.

How many receivers were on the Texans roster from 2003 - 2014? If AJ could have mentored them up, we wouldn't have needed to draft DeAndre. Why was DeAndre his only successful protege? Probably because he was the only one with the natural talent - thus he would have succeeded with or without a mentor.
I think you may be leaning too far toward one end of the spectrum. Of course you have to be good all on your own, but having great players around to learn from certainly provides some amount of value.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

Being a good mentor doesn't mean everyone turns into an all pro. Who knows if Walters would have been as good without AJ? It's about getting the best out.

If AJ could have mentored them up, we wouldn't have needed to draft DeAndre.
That's just a dumb statement. Total non-sequitur. I could have the best coaching in the world - won't turn me into an NFL WR.

Fred

Veteran
I could have the best coaching in the world - won't turn me into an NFL WR.
Me either. Although presumably the WRs on the Texans roster were at least marginal NFL prospects at some point in their life.

You are correct my point is really the more general one. Lots of threads where people are carrying on about some scrub (usually a QB) who will really know everything because he was the backup to Brady / Manning / Brees for a year or three. Usually - not so much. Probably Hasselbecks and Whitehurst are better mentors than Mannings and Brady.

Also lots of threads saying (for example) Hopkins and Swearinger were good picks primarily because AJ and Ed Reed were there to mentor them. (Brennan Williams and Sam Montgomery would also be good picks under this theory since Duane Brown and JJ Watt could mentor them).

There are exceptions, but usually the answer to bringing in an old vet "because he will be a great mentor" is "Oh, you mean like Ed Reed?"

honored82

Waterboy
The 2017 Superbowl is in Houston. Lets bring AJ back as a TE, I am sure he can still run great routes and has good hands. Lets retire him in style after we win Superbowl 2017 at NRG :)

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I really don't want him back and I don't have any doubt that it's not even going to cross the minds of the Texans brain trust. That era is over. He did great things as a Texan but he isn't coming back and I don't think O'Brien even wants him back anyway.

I'd rather watch the Texans develop Jaelen Strong and another rookie picked up in the 2016 draft than go back to Andre Johnson for 40 catches. Nate Washington and Cecil Shorts III can catch 40 passes. By next season Strong will be catching 40 passes if they think he's ready to start opposite Hopkins. Look at the list of free agent WR's next year. If you can't find 5-6 guys you would rather have on that list than Andre Johnson at this point in his career then your rose colored glasses are working perfectly.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!

Or, DeAndre may be the first to be ABLE to follow his instruction because of his talent level.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
He doesn't have to say anything. I'm not taking the position that all great players can be great mentors or coaches. Most of them suck at it. We agree on that. But AJ has shown that he's a good mentor in the past. He and Nuk are still close. Young players don't always come in and talk about how a great player has taken the time and effort to show them the ropes and help them understand how to study and be a pro like Nuk did with AJ.

So, yes, seriously.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame

First off, how long would it take AJ to LEARN what he needed to learn to be a great professional? I doubt he would have been a good mentor his first few years in the league. So exclude those guys.

Second, the guys we had later may have been even worse without AJ's mentoring.

Third and perhaps most importantly, just because someone's a good mentor doesn't mean that guys reached out to him for mentoring. Just because a guy is on the team and available doesn't mean that guys coming in feel comfortable with asking him for help or even that they can talk to him much at all.

I will give you that maybe AJ isn't a great mentor. I'm basing my understanding of his mentorship on a guy who came in as a first round draft pick who said he was mentored by this guy and that it helped a whole lot, and to me, the fact that they still have a relationship and still discuss things seems to indicate that he's not just blowing smoke.

Reactions: JB

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Who cares...AJ will go down in history as one of the best ever. He will retire a Texan as he should. Sign him for 1 final season so he can go out as Texan the right way.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
If bringing AJ back helps us win, fine, let's do it. If not, I don't care really. He's not on the team anymore, and unless he is, he's just another player in an enemy uniform.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That ship has sailed .... and sank. If Hoyer or some other placeholder is still throwing the ball in his general direction .... why would he even consider it ?!

Vet minimum deal I'd consider it .... with no guarantees for playing time.

Anything more than that .... aint worth the trouble nor the expense.

Who cares...AJ will go down in history as one of the best ever. He will retire a Texan as he should. Sign him for 1 final season so he can go out as Texan the right way.
You tryin to win championships or retire jerseys ?!

Hopkins has proven he's a stud and AJ has proven he's lost a step or three ....

I just aint the sentimental type and don't expect fairy tale endings.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
That ship has sailed .... and sank. If Hoyer or some other placeholder is still throwing the ball in his general direction .... why would he even consider it ?!

Vet minimum deal I'd consider it .... with no guarantees for playing time.

Anything more than that .... aint worth the trouble nor the expense.

You tryin to win championships or retire jerseys ?!

Hopkins has proven he's a stud and AJ has proven he's lost a step or three ....

I just aint the sentimental type and don't expect fairy tale endings.
Let's not act like there aren't guys on our roster who will do zero to help us win a championship, AJ will and can still contribute more than all of them.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Let's not act like there aren't guys on our roster who will do zero to help us win a championship, AJ will and can still contribute more than all of them.
Umm no, he won't be signing here for more than 1 day so no, no he won't

Once he decides to call it a career I can see the Texans signing him to one of those 1 day contracts to allow him to retire as a Texan. I don't see him coming back to play. I doubt he'd want to do that nor would the coaching staff want him, I think they can add better pieces.