Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WK 4 Chargers at Texans

this is my thing…1 of the only major weapons the chargers have and this dude was wide open all drive. 0 contain on Herbert who has been play action booting ALL GAME. C’mon Lovie.
How was Lovie's last head coaching job? I am not talking about his job with Tampa Bay.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I wonder what was going on with all the early check downs. Was our WRs covered. Was Davis playing ultra conservative? Was he being told to be ultra conservative?

Thiss as defense against a quality passing game needs help

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Think it all comes back to being tied in to Easterby’s vision for the club.
We’ve taken the view of evolution not revolution since OBrien, even before then really, they didn’t replace Gaine immediately allowing this OBrien/Easterby brain trust to run the GM side, they’ve brought in Lovie under Crennel and then promoted him to HC when the D scheme was already performing questionably and the coaching was awful.
They stuck with Tim Kelly/hired Culley as a figurehead without installing his own coaches/system, then hire from within when that didn’t work on offence.

They’ve involuntarily tanked 3 years in a row and are still stuck hiring from within a failing organisation. I worry the rookies that are looking good will be set back when we did finally realise that the coaching staff needs to be torn down and rebuilt, hopefully they get the right hire first time too.
Mike Kalfka

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Another thing. I know if the play called is a bubble screen the QB is supposed to throw the bubble screen.

But if you see it & it’s not there, you have to do something else. Don’t throw it to your receiver so he can get blown up. Throw it over his head, uncatchable so he is not a target. At the very least.

Scramble, buy some time. Find an open receiver downfield. But don’t set your guy up, Cooks or Pierce to get blown up

djohn2oo8

All Pro
Another thing. I know if the play called is a bubble screen the QB is supposed to throw the bubble screen.

But if you see it & it’s not there, you have to do something else. Don’t throw it to your receiver so he can get blown up. Throw it over his head, uncatchable so he is not a target. At the very least.

Scramble, buy some time. Find an open receiver downfield. But don’t set your guy up, Cooks or Pierce to get blown up
OL was getting worked quite a lot.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Why are we running a two man route concept Pep lol
Because apparently we needed to be in max protect, which didn't matter anyways... they still got pressure.

We got creamed in the trenches this game.
I really think Lovie and Pep look and see what other teams have done successfully against that weeks opponent and then try to emulate it. They just don't realize yet that the Texans just don't have the athletes other teams do. It's either that or the tank is real

TexanBorn51

Veteran
I now stand corrected from earlier post prediction - it's now 0-3-1 and next on the road vs Jags Whoa! then a bye then 12 more games. Still there were some good moments but it was catch up football. The played hard til the end it was very close by 3 in the 4th qtr. This year wasn't going to be easy but imho at least they are not getting blown out.

he was garbage at Illinois and Tampa…
I knew that but I was being somewhat sarcastic in alluding to the fact that he got the job as a head coach again without really showing why! I hope this is different and his coaching in the NFL again is much better than his stint with Illinois!

Last edited:
I now stand corrected from earlier post prediction - it's now 0-3-1 and next on the road vs Jags Whoa! then a bye then 12 more games. Still there were some good moments but it was catch up football. The played hard til the end it was very close by 3 in the 4th qtr. This year wasn't going to be easy but imho at least they are not getting blown out.
The lack luster starts to games has to end. Also they need to do better in the fourth quarter and not have to play catch up.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
fwiw - 13 more
  1. Jacksonville Jaguars: 2-2 (1-0 in division)
  2. Tennessee Titans 2-2 (1-0 in division)
  3. Indianapolis Colts 1-3 (0-1 in division)
  4. Houston Texans 0-3-1 (0-0-1 in division)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't like us losing but if they show improvements as the season goes on from the coaching all the way to the players I will feel a lot better about our team.
They've shown improvement. The improvement just isn't as fast as some here expected. Just remember Lovie's the perfect guy for the rebuild. He's going to be around all of next yr and then that off season when a lot more pieces are in place they will hire a new HC that will pick his QB. Unless Cal gets impatient, or Caserio really like one of the QB's in this class. Cal getting impatient is the more likely happening. IMHO

BTW, how did Salyer look at LT today?

I'm guessing since Herbert was only sacked once and says he's feeling better that Salyer had a good day.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Y’all need to look at it from the Chargers perspective. They just got their asses handed to them past two weeks and two star players gone for the season, not to mention that beat down Texans gave them last season 41-29.

It played out fairly evenly as could be expected. If Mills hadn’t gifted them early INT and 2nd half Sack on 4th down near Chargers end zone it’s a whole other story. Closer than score indicates, but you really had to be at the game to feel that momentum.

Fans of both teams really got they’re monies worth today, for which I have to say it, thank you McNairs:logo:

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
My feelings as well. Lot’s of mistakes for sure, but with 12 rookies and lots of new players that’s bound to be the case. But it seemed like they played hard to the end…and perhaps maybe have shaken that 4th qtr funk they’ve seemed to been mired down with. Next game, I’m hopefully optimistic. Next week, I expect a first of a few more wins.

:fans: :texflag: :gotexans1

76Texan

Hall of Fame
My feelings as well. Lot’s of mistakes for sure, but with 12 rookies and lots of new players that’s bound to be the case. But it seemed like they played hard to the end…and perhaps maybe have shaken that 4th qtr funk they’ve seemed to been mired down with. Next game, I’m hopefully optimistic. Next week, I expect a first of a few more wins.

:fans: :texflag: :gotexans1
Early odds.
Jaguar -7
O/U 44.5
Make your fortune today. 🤔 :brando:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
So....

How is the rebuild this week, nice run by Pierce
Phase I is still Phase I. On a positive note......they've been competitive. First 3 games were lost in the 4th quarter. The 4th game showed some moxey on offense and ST's to claw their way back into this game versus succumbing to a blowout. As I mentioned in one of post'.....I'm not concerned about wins and losses as long as the team is competitive, which is a nice step for Phase I of a complete tear-down and rebuild.

OptimisticTexan

Y’all need to look at it from the Chargers perspective. They just got their asses handed to them past two weeks and two star players gone for the season, not to mention that beat down Texans gave them last season 41-29.

It played out fairly evenly as could be expected. If Mills hadn’t gifted them early INT and 2nd half Sack on 4th down near Chargers end zone it’s a whole other story. Closer than score indicates, but you really had to be at the game to feel that momentum.

Fans of both teams really got they’re monies worth today, for which I have to say it, thank you McNairs:logo:
Mills arm was hit as he was throwing.....might've had a little something to do with the ball being intercepted. The sack saw a DL blow right past Green and blindside Mills. Since the beginning of football, QB's of all levels have been blown up in the pocket due to defensive players coming through the OL untouched while keeping their full head of steam until the QB is on the ground. Did Mills play a great game......no. But Mills did show flashes on a few drives that he possesses the physical traits to get the job done, but now comes the cerebral part of the development process. Remember, this is his 27th start between CFB and the NFL since HS.

Last edited:

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Mills arm was hit as he was throwing.....might've had a little something to do with the ball being intercepted. The sack saw a DL blow right past Green and blindsided Mills. Since the beginning of football, QB's of all levels have been blown up in the pocket due to defensive players coming through the OL untouched and keeping their full head of steam until the QB is on the ground. Did Mills play a great game......no. But Mills did show flashes on a few drives that he possesses the physical traits to get the job done, but now comes the cerebral part of the development process. Remember, this is his 27th start between CFB and the NFL since HS.
I can’t figure out how no one mentions this on the first INT. I even went back to watch a highlight. He’s clearly getting hit as he threw, which effected his follow through causing the ball to sail.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Phase I is still Phase I. On a positive note......they've been competitive. First 3 games were lost in the 4th quarter. The 4th game showed some moxey on offense and ST's to claw their way back into this game versus succumbing to a blowout. As I mentioned in one of post'.....I'm not concerned about wins and losses as long as the team is competitive, which is a nice step for Phase I of a complete tear-down and rebuild.
Exactly…

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Mills arm was hit as he was throwing.....might've had a little something to do with the ball being intercepted. The sack saw a DL blow right past Green and blindsided Mills. Since the beginning of football, QB's of all levels have been blown up in the pocket due to defensive players coming through the OL untouched and keeping their full head of steam until the QB is on the ground. Did Mills play a great game......no. But Mills did show flashes on a few drives that he possesses the physical traits to get the job done, but now comes the cerebral part of the development process. Remember, this is his 27th start between CFB and the NFL since HS.
Everybody shows flashes. Well, maybe not Justin Fields, but still. You don’t make it to the league without some skill. But flashes aren’t going to get you much done. The Texans had a total of -10 yards on their last 3 possessions. That included being gifted the ball deep in LA territory on the fumbled KO that they could only turn into a FG. No flashes in any of those final 3 possessions.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Everybody shows flashes. Well, maybe not Justin Fields, but still. You don’t make it to the league without some skill. But flashes aren’t going to get you much done. The Texans had a total of -10 yards on their last 3 possessions. That included being gifted the ball deep in LA territory on the fumbled KO that they could only turn into a FG. No flashes in any of those final 3 possessions.
Consistency seems to be an issue for sure with Mills…is it his front line that makes him seem, unsettled or rushed? He just seems antsy or something, not sure what to put my finger on but it seems to affect his consistency for me. I mean, he definitely shows flashes and when he’s steady, he‘s been money it seems.

OptimisticTexan

If I remember right.....there was a pretty costly holding penalty on the TO series.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Never have understood how all that worked…could you please explain at a simpleton level? I’ll cut ya in on the fortune if I take you up on the suggestion. 😎
Jags -7 means they are favored to win by 7 points. Basically, when the game kicks off, the score is Texans 7 - Jags 0.
The O/U 44.5 number is what Vegas thinks the combined score will be. So if the final is Jags 30 - Texans 10, that combined is under 44.5. So you can bet the Over or the Under.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Never have understood how all that worked…could you please explain at a simpleton level? I’ll cut ya in on the fortune if I take you up on the suggestion. 😎
Pick the Texans with the point spread (+7)

If the Texans lose by 7, it's a push.

If they lose by fewer than 7 points or win the game, you win the bet.
They would say that the Texans cover the spread in this instance.

The over/under is the total points scored by the two teams.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Mills arm was hit as he was throwing.....might've had a little something to do with the ball being intercepted. The sack saw a DL blow right past Green and blindside Mills. Since the beginning of football, QB's of all levels have been blown up in the pocket due to defensive players coming through the OL untouched while keeping their full head of steam until the QB is on the ground. Did Mills play a great game......no. But Mills did show flashes on a few drives that he possesses the physical traits to get the job done, but now comes the cerebral part of the development process. Remember, this is his 27th start between CFB and the NFL since HS.
only saw it live, didn’t notice his arm was hit, if it was as seen on replay it must have been glancing blow because the ball rotated with nice spin and 10 yards over target. Would seem to me the ball would be fluttering and short if impacted by contact. Regardless it was thrown into coverage. Or maybe replay will say something different 😂