Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will we stomp the Titans' mule?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Henry is now the first player in NFL history to record a 200+ rushing game in three straight seasons. And the only other player with 250+ total scrimmage yards and 2 TDs in a game in the last three years is Saquon Barkley.
They should put an asterisk next to Henry’s name. Two of his three 200 yard games were against us. 9 months apart.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
it's ok for other QBs to put up big numbers against us but never for Watson when he does it to bad defenses
If we’re talking about Mahomes or Rodgers or whoever, they still have good games against good defenses.

Watson & Tannehill don’t.

I’m not down on Watson, but facts are facts.

I think Watson is getting better but he’s in a poor environment for learning.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If we’re talking about Mahomes or Rodgers or whoever, they still have good games against good defenses.

Watson & Tannehill don’t.

I’m not down on Watson, but facts are facts.

You can't compare the Rodgers of today with Watson.
How long did Aaron had to sit and learn?
And then he has the stability of a franchise that build the team around him.

Same with Mahomes.
That franchise has been stable for years and they stockpile talents like no other.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Tannehill's INT was awful and I know he wants that one back since that was on him. Otherwise I think we like him in Tennessee. 15-4 as a starter.

Henry is now the first player in NFL history to record a 200+ rushing game in three straight seasons. And the only other player with 250+ total scrimmage yards and 2 TDs in a game in the last three years is Saquon Barkley.
You guys won.
Just barely, but it's a big win all the same so I won't try to be a sour/sore loser.
Until next time.

If only we still have the J J Watt of old.
But injury is part of the game, right?

texanhead08

All Pro

Same with Mahomes.
That franchise has been stable for years and they stockpile talents like no other.

Those guys also had the luxury of being drafted by teams with good starting qb's already on the roster. They weren't picked by a team starting Tom Savage like Watson was.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Nuk wasn’t a difference maker either though. Sure he made a few big plays when he was here, but the offense and team results weren’t really any better than they’ve been since he left.

Aside from that, he hasn’t made that big a difference for the Cards either, despite his gaudy numbers.

Wasn’t thinking I missed Nuk at all these last few weeks as Fuller and Cooks have gone off off
We're gonna have to disagree on that one.

Decim8

Veteran
We're gonna have to disagree on that one.
Yeah i would've been fine with hopkins, Fuller and stills which would've saved us from trading for cooks (he's playing well btw) cause the defense needs all the resources they can get next year. And the money used on Cobb's could've been used elsewhere imo.

Would it make a difference in the win column? I don't know but at least we have some ammo to improve the team next year.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Nuk wasn’t a difference maker either though. Sure he made a few big plays when he was here, but the offense and team results weren’t really any better than they’ve been since he left.

Aside from that, he hasn’t made that big a difference for the Cards either, despite his gaudy numbers.

Wasn’t thinking I missed Nuk at all these last few weeks as Fuller and Cooks have gone off off

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Same with Mahomes.
Excuses, DW4's been here for 4 yrs.

Decim8

Veteran
They traded Hopkins for cap space next yr. (Which they badly need) Johnson/Cooks can both be cut (Over 22 mil.) or in Cooks case hopefully restructured.
To cut both just makes the trade even worst imo. Couldn't they have used cobbs/mercilus money for Hopkins? The only way I could make sense of it all is that hopkins just wanted a way out but who knows.

Feels like OB invested a lot in the wr department and forgot about everything else

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To cut both just makes the trade even worst imo. Couldn't they have used cobbs/mercilus money for Hopkins? The only way I could make sense of it all is that hopkins just wanted a way out but who knows.

Feels like OB invested a lot in the wr department and forgot about everything else
Depends on if they use that cap space to sign a couple of impact FA defenders. Unfortunately the Texans dont go after top tier guys in FA. Maybe a new regime can talk Cal into operating differently.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He was the major starter still out. He's on IR but has been working out last week. Maybe next week vs. Pittsburgh but we'll see.

I'm more concerned about Taylor Lewan who has not finished three straight games getting dinged up. And we still don't know what's up with Jonnu Smith who also left the game.
The Texans were missing a starting ILB, McKinney.
All they need is one stop out of all those miscues in the run game defense.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Something tells me that Cal is going to start the fire sale on veteran players here soon.
Really , I think they should unload all the dead weight ... they are in cap hell as it is and its only going to get worse going forward.
They have almost no shot at the playoffs this year , may as well take their lumps now and start wit h a fresh slate next season and be able to take advantage of the covid economy - Lots of good players are going to be on the market for peanuts because few teams are going to have cap space to spend - That's their ticket to a quick turnaround.

This game was basically a matchup of Henry and Watson. Tannehill still sucks

How bout that 9 play 76 yard TD drive with 1:46 on the clock to send it to OT .... That was a hell of a drive.

Texans gotta find a way to unload merciless
I agree and have said as much since before the start of the season - @Lucky has too ....

Thing is , there's so much dead money there , that's a lot of money to eat .... and who's going to take him via trade ?
Here's a link to his contract details - click on the red X's to see the dead money for each season. That has to be one of the worst contracts in the league right now. You might be able to attach a draft pick to him and move him to a cellar dweller .... but they don't really have that option with so few picks.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Problem is you have to replace the players with others and match or exceed the productivity.
They should be able to find a RB fairly cheaply. Look at the 49ers tonight. They will probably even end up keeping 1 of Cooks/WFV and I would bring back Stills for 2 yrs 10 mil. A WR corps of Cooks/Cobb/Stills/Coulter and a draft pick doesn't look to bad. If you want to add a vet WR you could do this too on the cheap. A Sanu type of guy wouldn't cost much at all.

I would go this way and restructure Cooks down to 8 mil per yr with bonus $$$$ and let WFV walk saving a combined 14 mil. That can get you close to the contract Byron Jones got this yr. I think Jones got 17 mil per yr.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
They traded Hopkins for cap space next yr.
You know better than that.

Money had nothing to do with that trade .... it made the cap situation worse than it was before taking on DJ's bad contract and then spending the money in FA on a WR.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Depends on if they use that cap space to sign a couple of impact FA defenders. Unfortunately the Texans dont go after top tier guys in FA. Maybe a new regime can talk Cal into operating differently.
Disagree, most of the top tier FA have either basically been signed before the FA officially starts, Trent Brown, wanting such stupid money that the only desperate teams with no real hope and only want a splash player, Bell to a Jets, or have serious issues that make them to big a risk to sign, AB.

Texans have been in the mix for most of the major FA that fit a need but they haven’t been willing to overpay something I applaud them for. Many free agents are free agents for a reason and it’s rarely because the other team had so much talent they could afford to lose them.

badboy

Hall of Fame
They traded Hopkins for cap space next yr. (Which they badly need) Johnson/Cooks can both be cut (Over 22 mil.) or in Cooks case hopefully restructured.
IIRC, Texans could have cut Hopkins with same dead money they ate when they traded him ; three million. They would not needed to cut DJ for cap space 2021 as not on team. They still could have traded their second round for Cooks if they wanted to give Watson more options. They would not have Blacklock but he hasn't shown much in six games anyway.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Disagree, most of the top tier FA have either basically been signed before the FA officially starts, Trent Brown, wanting such stupid money that the only desperate teams with no real hope and only want a splash player, Bell to a Jets, or have serious issues that make them to big a risk to sign, AB.

Texans have been in the mix for most of the major FA that fit a need but they haven’t been willing to overpay something I applaud them for. Many free agents are free agents for a reason and it’s rarely because the other team had so much talent they could afford to lose them.
3 major FA signings in 18 yrs.

You think Byron Jones would help the defense this yr? How about a NT like Jordan Phillips? The Dolphins who were terrible last yr invested well in FA and had a great draft. Suddenly they're 3-3 with Fitz at QB.

This isn't the old NFL anymore.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
IIRC, Texans could have cut Hopkins with same dead money they ate when they traded him ; three million. They would not needed to cut DJ for cap space 2021 as not on team. They still could have traded their second round for Cooks if they wanted to give Watson more options. They would not have Blacklock but he hasn't shown much in six games anyway.
I still like Blacklock's potential. Hopefully the new regime can reach him. He's got alot of talent.

Decim8

Veteran

You think Byron Jones would help the defense this yr? How about a NT like Jordan Phillips? The Dolphins who were terrible last yr invested well in FA and had a great draft. Suddenly they're 3-3 with Fitz at QB.

The dolphins unloaded some of their young stars (tunsils and minkah). The return they got also helped their turn around

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

You’re mixing the Texans with OB on those. For whatever reason OB invested entirely into the offense. Maybe it’s because that’s what he knows, maybe he was trying to give Watson the best weapons and protection he could, maybe he was trying to set Watson up so he could say “see I invested everything in him and the offense and he still couldn’t make it work”. I don’t know and frankly it doesn’t matter anymore.

Don’t confuse the Texans organization though with the individuals making the decisions. The McNairs don’t make anymore money overpaying for guys like Martin than they would signing the various FA and NFL rules say they have to spend a certain amount. Each year Texans have spent almost all their cap space they just haven’t spent it wisely. That’s talent evaluation not unwillingness to go after the big names.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You’re mixing the Texans with OB on those. For whatever reason OB invested entirely into the offense. Maybe it’s because that’s what he knows, maybe he was trying to give Watson the best weapons and protection he could, maybe he was trying to set Watson up so he could say “see I invested everything in him and the offense and he still couldn’t make it work”. I don’t know and frankly it doesn’t matter anymore.

Don’t confuse the Texans organization though with the individuals making the decisions. The McNairs don’t make anymore money overpaying for guys like Martin than they would signing the various FA and NFL rules say they have to spend a certain amount. Each year Texans have spent almost all their cap space they just haven’t spent it wisely. That’s talent evaluation not unwillingness to go after the big names.
They've only signed 3 major FA's JoJo/Manning (RS/Kubiak) which set them up for Kubiak's 2 best seasons and Os (RS/BOB) in 18 yrs. It's time to try something different. What they've done the last 18 yrs hasn't worked and this comes from the top.

Vorsutus

Practice Squad
Titans fan here and I am not here to rub it in. Good game guys, was hard fought.

The thing I wanted to mention was the 2 point conversion you went for. I think it was the right call. People on our forum wanted us to let you score that td to have more time. And all I could think was what if they go up 9.

Gl with the rest of your year.

LikeMike

Veteran
Why exactly? Do you think this defense could stop a 2-pt attempt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i didn’t like the decision. I don’t know what the success changes are for 2pt conversions but they are probably way below 50% - rather have them roll trees odds than us.

that being said I respect the decision a whole lot. This Team is down this year - taking the win instead of hoping not too lose is somethingthat could change the mentality . And Watson was rolling putting the game in his hands is usually not a bad idea.

this was a gutsy call - like I said one I wouldn’t have made. But it wasn’t a stupid call. Under BoB we always played not to lose and very rarely for the win. He didn’t like to make gutsy calls and a lot of the ones he made (like the fake punt vs KC) I would call stupid plays...

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
i didn’t like the decision. I don’t know what the success changes are for 2pt conversions but they are probably way below 50% - rather have them roll trees odds than us.
Analytically, it actually makes more sense to go for 2 every time.

From a 2018 article 2pt conversions were being converted at a 60% clip. If a team can even convert at a 50% rate then that beats kicking the extra point since as we saw yesterday those aren't guaranteed points either.

For example, if teams are successful kicking an extra-point 95 percent of the time — the average rate since 2015, when the league moved the snap for the extra-point kick to the 15-yard line — they will score 0.95 points per kick attempt. That means a two-point conversion needs only a 47.5 percent success rate to give a comparable point per attempt.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sure I can. Watch this, "If we’re talking about Mahomes or Rodgers or whoever, they still have good games against good defenses."

Which I addressed.